Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please note you are expected to read this post before posting.

January 28th, 2010

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/game/g100129_02.html
http://life.oricon.co.jp/72880/full/
http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=18364&c_num=14

presentation[/URL] AuraStUrm:
I'd like to introduce you to another new Pokémon title, which should become one of the most anticipated Nintendo DS titles for this year. The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo have been developing a new Pokémon title with the aim to launch the software this year.

The cumulative global sales of all the Pokémon series software have reached 130 million. This new Pokémon software will become the first brand new Pokémon title in 4 years since Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, which sold more than 5.8 million units in Japan, was launched.

Of course, this totally new Pokémon title will include new fields of adventure and a number of new Pokémons living there. As a totally new version, it will contain various unprecedented experiences.

New title of Golden Sun franchise, which was announced at E3 2009, is planned to launch in 2010.
I don't care that the last line doesn't have anything to do with Pokemon. It's more important than Pokemon!

So, yeah, this is definitely Generation 5.

February 2nd, 2010
Hello. After a lengthy discussion among Moderators we decided this thread is pretty much harmless and speculation is not a terrible thing.

However, saying it's not a terrible thing does not mean we're looking for a flood of one line posts saying "omg ice dragon legendary!!! plzzz!" Instead we would like to see posts that discuss possible additions in Generation Five (elaborate too!) and potential implications on the metagame. Also, news on the game is always welcome.

As an example, Naxte's post that's linked in the first post is a great. Another good post is ChouToshio's - you can definitely tell it took more effort than posting "whoa ice!!"

----------------

[...]

Remember to keep this thread intelligent! I, along with other mods like Zerowing will be patrolling this thread as much as we can!
February 6th, 2010
Pokemon Sunday reveals the following sillouette:

February 10th, 2010
Scans from Coro Coro magazine reveal that the first revealed new Pokemon is Zoroark and his pre-evo Zorua. Names TBA in English.

More coming in the next issue. This is a Dark type Pokemon.

April 8th, 2010
Official Japanese website has opened and reveals the name to be Pokemon Black and Pokemon White: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/bw/index.html
More information on the next episode of Pokemon Sunday.

Site says:
-Completely new game
-Releasing this Fall
-New info on April 15th
-Hardware says "Nintendo DS" (likely not 3DS or DSi exclusive)

April 10th, 2010
Coro Coro has some of the first screens as well as this information:

andriasang Translates:
More intense battle scenes
It looks like the Pokemon will engage in more heated battles this time around.

More realistic towns
The towns rise up with high rising buildings. It also seems that the Pokemon Center will have additional shops separate from the reception desk.

"Evolution 3"
It's unclear what exactly the third evolution is supposed to be about. Under this section, the magazine shows screens of a dungeon and what appears to be the game's opening town.
Full details at the above link. The screens from the scan below come via Serebii:

April 17th, 2010
First gameplay footage:
http://www.filb.de/1294

Further updates can be found in jumpluff's thread here.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Huh... its early, so I dont want to start a speculathon, but its odd that it doesnt seem to mention more than one version.

What hath you wrought?

Whatever it is I would be very suprised if it is the 5th gen games. All the legendaries have been featured and we are basically getting a "filler" movie (a first) it still seems so soon. With D/P launching in 07 and this game set for the end of 10 it would be right on time but it "feels" too early. I'm not ready. :P

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Huh... its early, so I dont want to start a speculathon, but its odd that it doesnt seem to mention more than one version.
Well, if you want me to add fuel to the fire, Game Freak put up a job opening for a 3D modeller in October.

For all we know they just decided to remake Crystal though.

Hmm...more details would be nice.

Is this Gen 5? A new game in Gen 4? Or is it just another spinoff, like Ranger or Mystery Dungeon?

Firestorm

No such information has been announced. All the details that Nintendo has released are in the first post.

It's definitely not Mystery Dungeon as Mystery Dungeon is a franchise by Chunsoft. The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are just a few of the many Mystery Dungeon games they make. It's probably not Ranger either as that's something they've already farmed out to another developer twice.

If Game Freak is working on it, I'd expect a new type of spin-off or a new entry in the franchise. I'm guessing Generation 4 in either case.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I THINK THE NEW MOVE TUTOR WILL HAVE VOLT TACKLE!!@#@!#$%

seriously though, this sounds interesting.

I THINK THE NEW MOVE TUTOR WILL HAVE VOLT TACKLE!!@#@!#$%

seriously though, this sounds interesting.
I will probably make love to that move tutor lol
Also, maybe they will introduce a new pokemon this movie (as an entrance to the new gen like they did with lucario and blah blah) to introduce a new generation? If they do, I wonder if they can actually make a legendary pokemon that can top the three dragon trios + arceus? I seirously doubt it though, well...it's not possible I guess lol.

but then again...no way...no way they would start releasing new gen so soon (with heartgold and all)

it's much more possible then the new gen, unless they are really high and wants everyone in the world to be happy.

Firestorm

Sorry, my last post is probably wrong. I just realized September will mark 4 years since Diamond / Pearl hit. That's the same amount of time between Ruby / Sapphire and Diamond / Pearl. This is very likely the 5th generation.

This also means Nintendo is keeping to the DS for quite a bit longer. Something tells me it will have DSi features but still work on the DS, much like how Gold and Silver were optimized for Game Boy Color but worked on the Game Boy.

but they just barely came out with a remake i'm gonna go and talk to some of the japanese guys tomorrow maybe they have something to say
but yeah wonder what kind of legendaries they will bring out...
pretty sure not as powerful (in terms of anime) as the 4th gen guys but hmmm...hmmmm

Firestorm

but they just barely came out with a remake i'm gonna go and talk to some of the japanese guys tomorrow maybe they have something to say
but yeah wonder what kind of legendaries they will bring out...
pretty sure not as powerful (in terms of anime) as the 4th gen guys but hmmm...hmmmm
Do you know staff at Game Freak or something? I'm pretty sure they're under strict NDA =)

As for release dates:

Gen 1
Red / Green: 1996
Yellow: 1998

Gen 2
Gold / Silver: 1999
Crystal: 2000

Gen 3
Ruby / Sapphire: 2002
Fire Red / Leaf Green: 2004
Emerald: 2004

Gen 4
Pearl / Diamond: 2006
Platinum: 2008
Heart Gold / Soul Silver: 2009

Gen 5?
2010?

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see.

I think it's still too early for Gen 5. EDIT: Hmmm, maybe not.

One can't rule out Mystery Dungeon or Range being brought in-house. But I agree it seems unlikely.

Also, are we absolutely sure it's on the DS? I think a Colloseum/XD like game on the Wii might be likely. PBR got criticised for having no RPG mode, so maybe they're making a new one. Certainly, such a game would explain the hiring of a 3d modeler.

Or it could be yet another spin-off.

Or maybe an MMORPG. That's something I think the Pokemon concept screams out for.

Or, of course, it could be a hoax.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure gen 5 would be a good thing. As it is, I feel the current metagame is on the edge of how many powerful threats there can be and still have good balance. Teams struggle to cover all threats satisfactorily, but it can be just about done. Add a bunch more Pokemon and I think a team of 6 will never be able to handle everything, making pretty much all battles a coin flip based on who happens to carry what their opponent can't deal with.

Firestorm

Okay, cantab, it would be awesome if you could click some links or something before replying. Same to everyone else.

Nintendo is not allowed to lie to their shareholders. I am pretty sure there are laws against that.

This is 100% confirmed to be on Nintendo DS. It is not a hoax. Game Freak has never made a spin-off.

Also, what is "too early"? If it comes out at the end of the year, DP will have been the longest, or second longest, generation.

A new game already?We already had HGSS to worry about,and now it looks like were into another round of "oh thats broken".

Really excited regardless.

It makes sense that they are working on something. Now that HGSS is out they have to do more than just sit around counting money, don't they?

Generation 5? :happybrain:

EDIT: 3D modeling jobs? Anyone else think they'll be ditching the sprites for this next game and going with 3D Pokes like on PBR?

This does seem quite likely to be a gen 5 project. Gamefreak only works on the main entries so it's not a spinoff.

3D modelers could mean a few things. Gamefreak is ready to go 3D on the DS or this is for the DS sucessor. Considering the amount of pokemon games on the DS it seems plausible. Plus with th DS well into its lifespan Nintendo could announce its sucessor at E3 this year with a fall launch.

The only part of this that seems unlikely to me is a pokemon game launching so close to a new product release. But it could always be delayed if needed.

Firestorm

This will be one full year after Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

1 year was the difference between:
Yellow and Gold / Silver.
Gold / Silver and Crystal.
FireRed / LeafGreen and Emerald (same year actually).
Platinum and HeartGold / SoulSilver.

I believe many people are thinking about how the games aren't out in their region yet. Remember, if it's 2010 in Japan, it'll be at least Spring 2011 before it comes out in North America, Europe, or Australia where most of us are located.

if this is dsi exclusive (it probably will be, and it will have a camera gimmick) I will go on a murderous rampage

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Game Freak has never made a spin-off.
Just because there hasn't been a spin-off series yet, doesn't mean there won't be one now. Pokemon is a huge cash cow after all. I suppose Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series can be considered spin-off too, btw. Also Snap? Um, how about the Pokemon TCG games on GB... yeah the list goes on...

Oh snap.

I guess it is about time for the new generation to be released, but I know I wasn't expecting it. Can't really speculate too much, but I'm gonna place my bet on Gen 5, what with the possible new pokemon reveal in the new anime movie (forget what the title is) and the anime nearing the end in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)