Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the point to saying "No" to something that's been in the series since at least DPP. It's an optional setting, but that alone is enough to not give it another use.
Sorry--by "no," I mean, "I would HATE that." As in, "Oh, God No," not as in "No, you cannot have a cookie."

Psychic is the ESPer type in Japanese. Not Light. If anything, Fight is the Light type (fighting evil/mischievous spirits with HONOR and etc).
Dark type covers: Night, shiftiness/evil, and darkness(literal absence of light)
Fighting: Strength, Martial arts, Honor? (I suppose this is why fighting is Supereffective agains dark, but the light ends there.)

Light must the oposite of dark so:
Light: Day, goodness, light(literal photons)

But if Nintendo changes the name from Pokemon Black to something else, it clearly shows that Nintendo is insensitive to the Black community. In other words, they can't win, so they might as well not bother changing it.
Find an alternative that renames "White," and actually sounds good, then. "Black and White" has far worse connotations than even changing ONE version name would.

And by "R/B charm," let's hope he doesn't mean "the return of Missngno. in a glitch form."

So Fire/Grass, Fighting, and Psychic/Electric?
Those moves have fallen to those types because there is nothing else to do with them. When GenII came around, bite changed type since it was better considered dark. Previously, there was no place to put bite but normal.

EDIT: And fighting does not embody goodness. There is no "good" fighting move. It's just the reason we asume they are supereffective against dark.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So say this game is released in October in Japan we can speculate this game will be arriving to North America with 10-12 months :)!

I've actually thought about the Light type for a while. I don't think it's gonna happen. Just another Dark weakness. It seems like it'd be pretty hard to come out with another type now. Lol I thought Dinosaur once but that would just seem like another Dragon type.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Here's an interesting tidbit from the translation you guys can speculate about: "every aspect will be reborn innovatively."

I've actually thought about the Light type for a while. I don't think it's gonna happen. Just another Dark weakness.
If light was a type, dark would most likely stop being weak to fighting. (It was a stretch to begin with)

I don't see a "Light" Type on the way, to be honest. We can all speculate over the connotations of "White" Version, but if we're right, what would be the flagship type for Black? We already have Dark and Ghost. Personally, the type I've always waited for is "Wind" or "Air" or something along those lines. The flying type right now is just too broad, and competitive Pokemon has become too centered around Stealth Rock. There should be a divide between Pokemon based on animals that can fly (like Pidgey and Ledian) and those that seem able to manipulate the element of air (like Rayquaza and Drifblim).

it would be cool it its rse remake but I dont really think so since all remake names are similiar like green/red to leafgreen/firered.
I know its been three years since gen IV was released but it still feels a little too soon for the gen V

If we don't discuss race nobody will notice till it's out. So drop the subject...(I'm about half serious, if the discussion dies today across the internet perhaps nobody will notice, we all know it's stupid)

I like Black and White, I'm hoping for a more detectivy feel-Black feelis very noir to me.

Hmmm. Pokemon Noir and Blanc could be a good replacement. So hard to put and in there instead of y.

it would be cool it its rse remake but I dont really think so since all remake names are similiar like green/red to leafgreen/firered.
I know its been three years since gen IV was released but it still feels a little too soon for the gen V
They are not remakes.
This is 100% confirmed.
BTW, this is coming out in the fall in JAPAN which is four years since DP.
The rest of the world isn't getting them until some time in 2011, I would think.

My assumption would be that in White, you act as the hero (Since white is considered a pure colour) and in Black, you act as the game's villain (Since black is a dark colour)... just my two cents.

LOL, black is a dark color. Naw, I know what you mean.

That would be a nice new take on the story, but unless the Hero isn't on a badge collect quest, near everyone (above age 5) will get black.

LOL, black is a dark color. Naw, I know what you mean.

That would be a nice new take on the story, but unless the Hero isn't on a badge collect quest, near everyone (above age 5) will get black.
I agree with that, I'll get Pokemon Black if you're a villain, that'd be cool. I'm just thinking about how this generation will be 'game-changing'... I suppose we don't have enough information right now though to come to a conclusion.

I'm really hoping for trade compatibility similar to Gen I-II (Time Machine? Was that what it was called), in which you could trade pokes that existed in both gens back and forth, rather than the Gen III-IV Pal Park method. I'll be REALLY CURIOUS to see whether Gen III will be able to interact directly with Gen V.
I think that's possible. Remember the notch-eared Pichu? Didn't... Bill, I think, say it came from the future and because of that it could not evolve (in GenIV's timeline)?

Here's an interesting tidbit from the translation you guys can speculate about: "every aspect will be reborn innovatively."
And now this is really interesting.

I really like the names Black and White. They're simple and I really hope they don't change them when they come to America. If they do, they'll probably change them to Ebony and Ivory which I don't like as much as Black and White.

On the light legendary, they could always go with Dragon. I know there are already plenty of Uber Dragons, but dragons are thought highly of in Japan and much more so than they are in European myths. I like the idea of Fighting-type for the light legendary, simply because there hasn't been a Fighting legendary yet and they could give it the same "feel" as Lucario to make it seem more like the embodiment of "good".

I'm thinking the dark legendary would either either be Dark or Ghost and I think it's more likely to be Ghost because we already have Zoroark.

Of course, this is assuming that we'll even get light and dark legendaries which I think is pretty likely. They don't need to make a Light type because all they have to do is make it Fighting, Psychic, or Dragon and give it a certain "feel" and it will work just fine.

Am I the only one who was reminded of the TCG? All with that "Light" and "Dark" Pokémon. Maybe that's the new game mechanic?

Anyway, really nice names. I'd still prefered if they were called Pokémon Sweet and Pokémon Sour though, but B&W is fine.

@Chaoswalker: Yeah, maybe. But that would feel like a mismatch to me. I think if Nintendo was going to make a Light Type, they would have done it back in Gen 2, when the Dark Type was introduced.

Plus, it just wouldn't be a good marketing move for Nintendo. Imagine if those games came out today, and White Version had a Light-typed mascot legend while Black Version had a Dark-typed one. You would buy White Version, right? So would I. So would everyone. And then there would be a bunch of unsold Black versions lying around, and a bunch of angry stockholders.

On a different note, am I the only one who was reminded of the lyrics of "Hot N Cold" upon seeing this announcement? In any case, I look forward to the future releases of Pokemon Yes/No, In/Out, and Up/Down. Just hope to God Kate Perry doesn't sue.

@Tortferngatr: What would be wrong with getting old Missingno. back? I look forward to tearing up the Elite Four with my double Water Gun assault.

Find an alternative that renames "White," and actually sounds good, then. "Black and White" has far worse connotations than even changing ONE version name would.

And by "R/B charm," let's hope he doesn't mean "the return of Missngno. in a glitch form."
Yeah, you're right, Black and White has such terrible connotations the ACLU and NAACP have sued Black and White Photography, Black and White Movies, and Black and White television programs into non existence. Because no one has enough common sense to realize that colors are just colors.

That said, Pokemon Ebony and Pokemon Ivory would be pretty sweet.

@Chaoswalker: Yeah, maybe. But that would feel like a mismatch to me. I think if Nintendo was going to make a Light Type, they would have done it back in Gen 2, when the Dark Type was introduced.

Plus, it just wouldn't be a good marketing move for Nintendo. Imagine if those games came out today, and White Version had a Light-typed mascot legend while Black Version had a Dark-typed one. You would buy White Version, right? So would I. So would everyone. And then there would be a bunch of unsold Black versions lying around, and a bunch of angry stockholders.

On a different note, am I the only one who was reminded of the lyrics of "Hot N Cold" upon seeing this announcement? In any case, I look forward to the future releases of Pokemon Yes/No, In/Out, and Up/Down. Just hope to God Kate Perry doesn't sue.

I think most everyone would go for Pokemon Black in that case, since Dark is so much more awesome than Light.

Black and White Movies, and Black and White television programs into non existence.
To be fair... when was the last time either of these were made? Don't need to get rid of that which is already dead.

Because no one has enough common sense to realize that colors are just colors.
Or so much common sense that it's obvious when the PC-thugs are going to go after it.

That said, Pokemon Ebony and Pokemon Ivory would be pretty sweet.
I think this would have even more trouble than Black and White. First, there's potential copyright issues with the song. Next, said song often has the connotation of being about black and white people (even if lyrical purpose is about the keys of a piano).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)