1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokemon.com's Pokemon Power Bracket: Mew wins!

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Purimpopoie, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Purimpopoie

Purimpopoie

Orange Islands is the place for non-competitive stuff, right?

http://www.pokemon.com/powerbracket/us/

Apparently, they're going to have a huge tournament on Pokemon.com between all the Legendary Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, with the winning Pokémon "tak[ing] over Pokemon.com for an entire week, and a special downloadable prize pack will be given away to everyone to celebrate the victory!"

It's entirely possible that the "winner" will be our equivalent to Japan's V-Create Rayquaza, having a special move that could be awesome.

Currently, they're doing prelims over the next three days in which the Kanto Birds and the Johto Beasts fight over the last three slots in the bracket.

I voted for Articuno today, though it's probably not gonna win. EDIT: Apparently I ignored the side buttons and voted for Zapdos and Suicune. How the hell is Zapdos losing to Entei in this poll?
  2. Dark Arceus

Dark Arceus

It's probably a dummied down version of that cover mascot event that led to V-Create Rayquaza. Curious if they're going to add event Pokemon into the mix or if they are going to rig the votes like during the befriend a Pokemon thing for dreamworld where Arceus won (I believe it was done so America and Japan could relatively keep similar pokemon released kinda) and then they just say Rayquaza won. Oh well here's hoping for DW abilities for something not Lugia, Ho-oh, Dialga, Palkia, or Giratin if they have dw abilities anyway.

Edit: If Arceus wins I give up on Pokemon. Arceus is far to common for people's vote because it's "The Alpha Pokemon". Hopefully getting one from the Befriend a Pokemon thing helps prevent it.

Also might as well give up on Zapdos lightning rod. It's massively using to Entei. And in general the dogs are going to win against the birds.
  3. Purimpopoie

Purimpopoie

My initial thoughts, exactly, though I don't believe this is "dummied down" because instead of having 15, we have 32 choices. It's like they made it more complicated.

As for if they're going to fix the votes... I guess we'll have to see. *shrugs*
  4. immewnity

immewnity

In case anyone is wondering why this no longer is on the Pokémon website (at least as of this posting), one of TPCi's servers was acting up.
  5. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Zapdos NEEDS to win.

These kids don't understand just how game-changing Lightningrod Zapdos would be in the VGCs.
  6. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This all assumes that we're getting an actual Pokemon (much less one with a dream ability) out of this and it's not just some junk for your trainer avatar, of course.
    And man I feel sorry for whatever goes against Mewtwo & Arceus. Rigged or not that's just mean.

Also hey it's Phione! I guess it's a legendary again.
  7. Perfect Cell

Perfect Cell

Sweet, go Zapdos!
  8. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

I'd hate to see Articuno get iced this early.
  9. M. Rock

M. Rock

My votes went for Raikou, Zapdos, and Suicune. I think Entei's winning because to kids/casual players, he looks 'tougher' and more imposing than Zapdos does (tbh, he does). If Arceus wins, I won't be surprised, but I won't be terribly happy, either.

Also, the contents of this "prize pack" peak my curiosity. Does that term infer that more than one Pokemon will be given away?
  10. R_N

R_N

It doesn't even infer that a Pokemon is being given away period.
    It could very well just be random on-site junk like wallpapers, trainer avatar stuff, etc
  11. Purimpopoie

Purimpopoie

This is true. But it just "smells" too much like the similar Japanese Promotion that ended up in V-Create Victini.
  12. R_N

R_N

The Japanese contest was between all box Pokemon, not just legends. And usually they're pretty up front about giving away Pokemon if only because it's a nice thing to advertise.

I dunno, I guess we'll know for sure in like 6 weeks
  13. breh

breh ● ︿ ●
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

dohoho

pity that Zapdos is out so early; I guess it really is nice to have your own movie about you, unfortunately.

Agreeing with Knights of Wario Land that Lightningrod Zapdos would change the meta for VGC quite a bit.
  14. Purimpopoie

Purimpopoie

All the people talking about DW Abilities: If there is even a Pokémon distributed because of this rather lengthy poll, it's probably not going to be a DW Pokémon. Because they almost never are.
  15. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

All the kids are just going to vote for the cool fire ubers, and awesome pokes like Zapdos will get left in the dust...
  16. Perfect Cell

Perfect Cell

How the fuck are the dogs beating out the birds? I blame the little kids that think that new=better.
  17. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

no they just think dogs are cooler than birds

which in a sense is true, the dogs do look better than the birds
  18. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

Zapdos looks epic. I understand people not liking the other 2 though as they are bad in battles and don't look that cool
  19. R_N

R_N

Poor Moltres. The other two are hovering in the mid 30s and have maybe even gone higher from yesterday

Moltres has just gone down down down
  20. Dark Arceus

Dark Arceus

Voted Suicune, Raikou, and Zapdos because if dw abilities are given away if the pokemon are actually given away (Which is a fair shot because this being somewhat similar to the box mascot giveaway) then these would all be fantastic. Suicune and Raikou are great and Zapdos satisfies the people who play vgc (even though it doesn't look like it will win).
  21. vonFiedler

vonFiedler Visualize It
    is a Community Contributor

So wait a minute. You have a preliminary for the Legendary Birds vs. the Legendary Dogs, but all of the Regis and Elves got in?
  22. R_N

R_N

It makes sense from a "gripping" persepective. The birds & dogs are likely way more noticeable and "interesting" so it gets people to look at and vote for the bracket and then from there keep checking in and such.
  23. SuperCharizardMaster

SuperCharizardMaster

Does anyone realize that the winners will have to face Arceus, Mewtwo, and Deoxys? Which are some of the most powerful pokes in competitive and noncompetitive battling. Not to mention they're infamous.
  24. Temperantia

Temperantia

Oh god, I hope Arceus doesn't win again. At least Zapdos has a possibility of beating Entei now. (Sort of)
    I don't understand what anyone sees as appealing in the legendary gerbils...
  25. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Zapdos doesn't look "epic", and that's pretty much why it's losing: a lot of people either dislike it, or think Entei is better. I know that, as a kid, I found Entei to look better/cooler, but liked Zapdos more because it was powerful. It has always been ugly to me, but its battling prowess made me like it a lot. But you can't expect the majority of the kids/casual/dontgiveafuck players to vote using competitive logic lol.

It also kinda saddens me to see Articuno losing but FUCK THIS I want a shot at Volt Absorb Raikou.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)