Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The XY story was beyond moronic, impossible to take seriously on any level. Like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, it's something someone might come up with to make fun of the franchise. "Epic in scope" isn't a good thing if it's impossible (or nearly impossible, since apparently you did) to buy into the story. GF's failure to realize that (though they did much better with SM) is one of the worst things about their approach.
It's flawed, sure, but despite that it does actually do a good job of going into background story on stuff like Mega Evolutions and AZ. And while it isn't quite on the level of destructuon Cyrus's plan would have if he were successful, The fact that Lysander wanted to commit genocide seemed a bit more malicious in scope. (Maybe it was the fact that the ultimate weapon was powered by the souls of helpless Pokemon.)

No, the story did want to tell grand things and had the components to do so. I personally think it did partially deliver on what it wanted to do. However it did have some issues that kept it from sticking the landing. Perhaps if the pacing was more eveb, it would have been better.

That said, I will admit that there is one other aspect of XY that could be clouding my judgement: The fact that I went in mostly blind since the release happened worldwide. Sure I knew about all the new Pokemon, but outside of officially revealed stuff about the Gym Leaders and the few story bits, I had no idea what was coming. It was the first time since, well ever really, that I didn't know about most of the game prior to getting it. Heck, I did a better job avoiding spoilers for XY than I did for SM. (Stupid Youtube.) So the fact that there were things about the plot that took me by surprise (again, Lysander was prepared to commit genocide to save the world) probably reflects a bit better in my eyes.

It's flawed, sure, but despite that it does actually do a good job of going into background story on stuff like Mega Evolutions and AZ. And while it isn't quite on the level of destructuon Cyrus's plan would have if he were successful, The fact that Lysander wanted to commit genocide seemed a bit more malicious in scope. (Maybe it was the fact that the ultimate weapon was powered by the souls of helpless Pokemon.)
Well, it would be malicious if it were convincing, sure. (Obviously, what proves convincing depends on the person who's being, or not being, convinced, but there are plenty of elements of it that can be concretely measured and used to judge how likely it is to be convincing.) I firmly believe that less "epic" but more convincing stories will almost always prove to be better, more intense, and so on than something over-the-top like that. Team Rocket poaching Slowpoke tails was infinitely more motivating, to me, than Lysandre.

If the world in the games were much more richly developed and the stories were consistently taken more seriously, the over-the-top storylines might work. But it's not, and they almost always don't.

Apparently, the Nintendo Direct at E3 mentioned development of a main series Pokémon game on the Switch. Could this mean they're skipping to a new generation after this? If so, this generation was way too quick.

Apparently, the Nintendo Direct at E3 mentioned development of a main series Pokémon game on the Switch. Could this mean they're skipping to a new generation after this? If so, this generation was way too quick.
I am ok with that, Alola was o.k. but not more for me. Didn't hype me like some other versions.

Assuming this is true, then that confirms it. The Switch is replacing the DS, as the DS did to the Gameboy.

I could say I'm surprised but that'd be lying. I saw this coming the instant they announced the Switch.

Good thing mine is arriving next week with two crazy good games that are going to consume my playtime before this Pokemon game (or rather, Ultra Sun/Moon as they'll be first) arrives.

Now... should we expect that game on the Switch next year or in 2019?

Seeing it's a whole new console for them I'm betting on being close to the latter.

not sure if I am ok with not only a generation only lasting 2 years and being lazily hashed out, but also "switching" to a new home console.

I was one of the few who were not completely on board with a main series game being on console, instead just wanting another spin off like xD from genius sonority who could write their stories infinitely better.

as for what mars said I disagree...

...heavily...

the pacing in X and Y sucked, MAJORLY, we drag our heels three town after town where they pull ass from whatever we are doing to make us engage in some forced nonsense involving the bland and completely useless neighbor kids who absolutely insist that you all go every where together, stopping you up all the way to geosenge where they finally decide to f*** off you have to deal with team flare... who already look tacky, sound tacky, and whose entire CONCEPT was contradictory, where we had a leader who talks about resources and and space being taken up by the most selfish, then proceeds to sell out slots into his organization to a bunch of rich snobs.

and don't even get me started about that ending, where he starts crying over pokemon, and where his tone shifts so quickly a Kecleon couldn't keep up with it's color change.

good riddance, he was almost as bland and bad of a villain imo as Cyrus (Que the bombardment of salt)

but I would still take the story and characters of XY miles over SM. SM took everything I hated about XY and amplified it in Pacing, Bland characters (save for Hau and Kukui who genuinely made me feel nice, and the entirety of Team Skull who were a walking self aware joke), and a fairly disappointing lack of challenge once you pass the second island. getting rid of super training was rather meh but what really burned me was the lack of the PSS, and the godawful Zygarde Cell hunt.

anyways, now seeing that they only did Ultra SuMo so quickly I might already write it off that they aren't putting much into it. considering we are hearing about a main series game going for the switch, and that it only takes them a year anymore to make anything.

is it bad that I want them to sit down and take their time like they used to?

not sure if I am ok with not only a generation only lasting 2 years and being lazily hashed out, but also "switching" to a new home console.

I was one of the few who were not completely on board with a main series game being on console, instead just wanting another spin off like xD from genius sonority who could write their stories infinitely better.

as for what mars said I disagree...

...heavily...

the pacing in X and Y sucked, MAJORLY, we drag our heels three town after town where they pull ass from whatever we are doing to make us engage in some forced nonsense involving the bland and completely useless neighbor kids who absolutely insist that you all go every where together, stopping you up all the way to geosenge where they finally decide to f*** off you have to deal with team flare... who already look tacky, sound tacky, and whose entire CONCEPT was contradictory, where we had a leader who talks about resources and and space being taken up by the most selfish, then proceeds to sell out slots into his organization to a bunch of rich snobs.

and don't even get me started about that ending, where he starts crying over pokemon, and where his tone shifts so quickly a Kecleon couldn't keep up with it's color change.

good riddance, he was almost as bland and bad of a villain imo as Cyrus (Que the bombardment of salt)

but I would still take the story and characters of XY miles over SM. SM took everything I hated about XY and amplified it in Pacing, Bland characters (save for Hau and Kukui who genuinely made me feel nice, and the entirety of Team Skull who were a walking self aware joke), and a fairly disappointing lack of challenge once you pass the second island. getting rid of super training was rather meh but what really burned me was the lack of the PSS, and the godawful Zygarde Cell hunt.

anyways, now seeing that they only did Ultra SuMo so quickly I might already write it off that they aren't putting much into it. considering we are hearing about a main series game going for the switch, and that it only takes them a year anymore to make anything.

I wouldn't say its so much that they're speeding up its just their man power has increased, and I think this also shows how far Nintendo are willing to throw everything at the switch. Also the time between the start and end of Gen 5 wasn't astronomically either and it produced some of the games considered amongst the better spectrum of games (not saying that i'd put SM in the same breath as BW but you understand the gist)

I wouldn't say its so much that they're speeding up its just their man power has increased, and I think this also shows how far Nintendo are willing to throw everything at the switch. Also the time between the start and end of Gen 5 wasn't astronomically either and it produced some of the games considered amongst the better spectrum of games (not saying that i'd put SM in the same breath as BW but you understand the gist)
fair point actually.. then again with BW and fifth gen as a whole they didn't have any remakes to widen the gap.

so... no remakes confirmed?

Almost certainly, Gen 4 remakes second set of games in Gen 8, Bold predictions set and made xD
It would make sense, given that it would be a different system than what the originals were on. They could still surprise us, but i doubt it.

If you look at their release history, as located on this wikipedia article, You'll note that since 2008 they've been releasing 3 games in a row, then break for a year. Add on to the fact that they will already have a lot of assets from SM on hand to use for USM, this doesn't seem unusual.

Just thinking about it... Is it possible technically release the GS Ball for VC Crystal Version (I know it won't be released with GS and the Celebi Event doesn't trigger in those)? I think a lot of people would like to catch Celebi the way it was meant to be but never could.

The more I think about USUM, the more I am having mixed feelings of those upcoming games. It is way too quick for them to release those games within a year. But I will likely going to buy it regardless... I hope they add enough content its worth

Last edited:
Just thinking about it... Is it possible technically release the GS Ball for VC Crystal Version (I know it won't be released with GS and the Celebi Event doesn't trigger in those). I think a lot of people would like to catch Celebi the way it was meant to be but never could.

The more I think about USUM, the more I am having mixed feelings of those upcoming games. It is way too quick for them to release those games within a year. But I will likely going to buy it regardless... I hope they add enough content its worth
I refer you to Project Mars' last statement on USM also to catch celebi properly would be a nice touch although (talking with very little experience) it would be a huge surprise for an event to go out which wasn't on the current gen, but would be kinda cool

Just thinking about it... Is it possible technically release the GS Ball for VC Crystal Version (I know it won't be released with GS and the Celebi Event doesn't trigger in those)? I think a lot of people would like to catch Celebi the way it was meant to be but never could.
They'd have to release Crystal to do such a thing, as Gold and Silver lack the Celebi event.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokemon Company re-confirmed a main series game for the Switch but won't be seen for more than a year. So USM I'd say will have at least a year to itself (and at least Gen VII is getting sequel games).

But GEEZ, can we slow down a bit on the main series games after this? Like I get it, for Pokemon's 20th anniversary you wanted a new main series games and Nintendo was probably strongly pushing for a main series game on the Switch to finally merge their console and handheld divisions.

In the recent case of the release date, I hpe they would be willing to release this main series for the Switch on Christmas 2020. Tons of time to polish it
We don't know for how long they have been developing this game.

From what we know there could be a rather small amount of people working to finish Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (makes sense as almost everything is an asset from Sun and Moon) while the bulk of Game Freak has been already working on this new game.

Last edited:
So, as a reminder, the 1st-gen Pokemon that are still "open" to getting Alola forms (they don't have a mega evolution or an evolution in a later gen, and also aren't in the Alola Pokedex) are:

• Arbok
• Nidoqueen
• Nidoking
• Vileplume
• Venomoth
• Victreebel (although it's available in Island Scan)
• Rapidash
• Farfetch'd
• Dodrio
• Dewgong
• Kingler
• Electrode
• Hitmonlee
• Hitmonchan
• Weezing
• Mr. Mime
• Jynx
• Omastar
• Kabutops

And the 2nd-gen ones that fit these same criteria are:

• Meganium (Island Scan)
• Typhlosion (Island Scan)
• Feraligatr (Island Scan)
• Furret
• Noctowl
• Xatu
• Bellossom
• Azumarill (Island Scan)
• Jumpluff
• Sunflora
• Quagsire
• Wobbuffet
• Girafarig
• Forretress
• Dunsparce
• Qwilfish
• Shuckle
• Ursaring
• Magcargo
• Octillery
• Mantine
• Kingdra (Island Scan)
• Donphan
• Stantler
• Hitmontop

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, as a reminder, the 1st-gen Pokemon that are still "open" to getting Alola forms (they don't have a mega evolution or an evolution in a later gen, and also aren't in the Alola Pokedex) are:

• Arbok
• Nidoqueen
• Nidoking
• Vileplume
• Venomoth
• Victreebel (although it's available in Island Scan)
• Rapidash
• Farfetch'd
• Dodrio
• Kingler
• Electrode
• Hitmonlee
• Hitmonchan
• Weezing
• Mr. Mime
• Jynx
• Omastar
• Kabutops

• Meganium (Island Scan)
• Typhlosion (Island Scan)
• Feraligatr (Island Scan)
• Furret
• Noctowl
• Xatu
• Bellossom
• Azumarill (Island Scan)
• Jumpluff
• Sunflora
• Quagsire
• Wobbuffet
• Girafarig
• Forretress
• Dunsparce
• Qwilfish
• Shuckle
• Ursaring
• Magcargo
• Octillery
• Mantine
• Kingdra (Island Scan)
• Donphan
• Stantler
• Hitmontop
Of the ones listed I think the ones with the most potential are:

Kanto: Vileplume (make it into Hawaii's national flower, the yellow hibiscus), Farfetch'd (have it carry around a heart of palm), Weezing (volcanic vents), & Jynx (hula dancer)
Johto: Xatu (tiki themed instead of totem), Bellossom (hmm, it's already a hula dancer, so either focus on doing something with the plants/flower or maybe focus on the chanting aspect of hula), Sunflora (I think Alolan Exeggutor needs some competitinon), Forretress/Shuckle (make it looks like a macadamia nut), Qwilfish/Octillery (with Hawaii being the US's main Navy base in the Pacific, maybe have it reflect that like making Qwilfish into a sea mine or Octillery into a warship cannon), & Magcargo (not sure what, but surely they can do something with it; surprises its not a native Alolan Pokemon already)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Of the ones listed I think the ones with the most potential are:

Kanto: Vileplume (make it into Hawaii's national flower, the yellow hibiscus), Farfetch'd (have it carry around a heart of palm), Weezing (volcanic vents), & Jynx (hula dancer)
Johto: Xatu (tiki themed instead of totem), Bellossom (hmm, it's already a hula dancer, so either focus on doing something with the plants/flower or maybe focus on the chanting aspect of hula), Sunflora (I think Alolan Exeggutor needs some competitinon), Forretress/Shuckle (make it looks like a macadamia nut), Qwilfish/Octillery (with Hawaii being the US's main Navy base in the Pacific, maybe have it reflect that like making Qwilfish into a sea mine or Octillery into a warship cannon), & Magcargo (not sure what, but surely they can do something with it; surprises its not a native Alolan Pokemon already)
Don't hibiscus smell nice? It'd be odd to make an Alolan Vileplume into that considering it's based off of a flower that's infamous for smelling horrible.

Ones below quoted are pokes I feel would be more interesting of an Alolan form:

• Rapidash
Flying/Fairy Alolan Form w/ maybe Serene Grace - More of a mythical Pegusas

• Kingler
Give it something like Water/Ice with Sheer Force. Ice hammer/Crab Hammer/hammer Arm options would be welcomed

• Mr. Mime
A creepy variant of Mr. Mime w/ Dark/Fairy Typing instead w/ Prankster as an ability.

• Noctowl
A Snowy Owl, with the typing Ice-Flying. Gets ice beam, blizzard while losing normal coverage.

• Octillery
Perhaps the Alolan Form could gain Skill Link while it loses Sp.Atk/gains Atk. and loses coverage like flamtethrower/energy ball/etc. Gains a poison typing, bone rush and maybe a new multi-hitting poison move like bullet seed. Has blackened scales over it's body and a greyish skin color to boot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)