1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokemon Documentary

Discussion in 'VGC' started by rokman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rokman

rokman

So, I've decided it's time for me to do something with pokemon that can apply to my life besides just fun and games. I've been playing pokemon competitively since release and it's been quite a contributor in how I've grown up, the friends I've made, and the great memories I've had.

Pokemon is a lot more than just a game, it's something very dear and special to me. What I'm planning on doing next is to give my experiences with Pokemon to the general public and the world. In a film medium.

I'm currently a production assistant in the film industry, recently working on a film called Chasing Shakespeare (starring Danny Glover, a great guy btw), and have been spec screenwriting since I was 16. This is what I want to do with my life, write and make films. Be a filmmaker, etc.

I'm in the pre-production stages (basically writing somewhat of a screenplay for narration, interview questions, etc) of making a documentary on the Pokemon TCG. I want to show the world what this little game of ours is really about. The people, the community, our "family".

If everything goes according to plan, I will be renting a Sony XD Camera (An HD ~$8,000 camera) from my high school's film program and record EVERYTHING (minus people under the age of 16 - consent rights and all that jazz gets kind of hectic with young people. I'll be focusing on the 20-25 crowd mostly) I can, interview as many people and friends of mine as I can, and really do something with this. My vision is to show how competitive we are, the intensity of matches, and what it means to be a pokemon master! ;P If it turns out like I expect it to, I might even submit the film to Sundance, SXSW, and many other film festivals.

To give you an example of the type of thing I'll be making, take a gander at http://starnationmovie.com/ It's basically a similar concept, but of the e-sport game StarCraft 2.

I don't know how far I'll go with this, how long it will take me, but I plan on getting footage from States, Regionals, Nationals, and maybe even Worlds, all from this year. If I get all the permission (and maybe some support) from Nintendo, I'd happily opt out of the World's grinder and even playing in worlds to make this film...... Believe it or not, I'm not actually made of money... So getting to Worlds is pretty farfetch'd at the moment. I might try to get together a little trailer, make a website, and work on getting donations from the community for this project of mine.

I really hope you guys like this idea. Maybe you can even give me some of your thoughts or opinions, whatever.

By the way, I'm a TCG player, not a VGC player.

Also, especially for Smogon, I'd like you guys to tell me who you think are the key people in the VGC community. At the moment, I'm going to try and interview the Arnold family, recently inducted into the Guiness World Records.
  2. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The two biggest VGC players on Smogon at the moment are probably Huy and Makiri, who spearheaded the movement to bring VGC into Smogon. Other members are those such as Bluecookies, the defending world champ and two time winner.

The idea of filming a "competitive" documentary is interesting and I wish you success in your venture.
  3. Alan

Alan

This is pretty interesting! Pokemon is often looked at as a casual childs game and not a lot of people realise that it has a competitive side. (Well not as big as most would assume). I told my roommate/best friend I played competitive Pokemon and he just stared at me with the most confused look...

Anyway, good luck with this! Also, don't just get the VGC perspective!
  4. rokman

rokman

I don't even play the VGC.

I'm a TCG player
  5. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

You might want to post this over at pokegym.net then...

Smogon's focus is 99.9999% Video Game. Pokegym's focus is 99.99999% TCG. They even have people who work for TPCi post there all the time.
  6. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

He already has, mattj. He's a PokeGym member. I saw his post there about this as well. If you want to get in touch with the Arnold family, you might want to PM HagridTwin. There's a link to his profile on our home page.

If you'd like to get in touch with various accomplished members, I can point you in their direction if you tell me what type of people you're looking for. As mentioned, BlueCookies is the only person outside Japan to win Worlds and has done it twice now. makiri likely holds the title of most Regional wins. We have very accomplished players who play both TCG an VGC like Cybertron and his brother (Seniors and Juniors). One of our site leaders, Articuno64, is a VGC player who has been a part of the competitive Pokemon community for over a decade now. So he's pretty good at being able to tell the history from when we didn't have any support from Nintendo / The Pokemon Company to the tremendous backing it has relative to other Nintendo multiplayer games.

PM me what you'd like and I'll see what I can do about finding the right people for you =)
  7. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

but if you are curious about VGC

check out our VGC forum . And talk to one of us at regionals!
  8. rokman

rokman

I'll definitely be at US Nationals and probably Wolds too.

If these pro VGC players are there, I'd love to interview them! I'll try to get in contact with Bluecookies and makiri.

Thanks for the help, guys
  9. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, only one person I can think of is going to the Texas Regional. There should be a ton at US Nationals and quite a few at Worlds.

Topic moved where there's a greater chance your target audience might see it.
  10. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Saw this over at Pokegym too (I'm Prodigiosus there) and this really sounds like an incredible idea, and I wish you the best of luck with it! It's a bit disappointing you're looking for the 20-25 crowd, but if you're willing to interview minors, I feel like both my 9 year old brother and I have a lot of different perspectives, being both competitive VGC and TCG players for a couple of years. (Brendan won the recent fall Regionals undefeated in both tournaments!)

But enough selling myself and my brother, Firestorm's mentioned a bunch of great people you'd want to get to talk to. Huy and Paul are two of the greatest guys in the game, they really put a lot of effort into expanding VGC on Smogon into what it is today. They also have several titles behind their backs (Huy is one of the select few to T8 Worlds two years). Ray is by far the most famous VGC player and is also an excellent image to the game itself. However, there are many other great masters who don't have as much history to them as Huy/Paul/Ray. Firestorm has been excellent in helping spread the word with VGC through Smogon and updating the day of the past Regionals as well as managing Smogon's Facebook page. superwolfe, last year's VGC Master's National Champ proved himself to be one of the strongest competitors last year as he managed to win at such a young age. muffinhead has created many VGC tutorials on Youtube to teach people how to build teams and how to play against the metagame in general. These are all great people that I feel would be excellent in a video you're shooting for.

VGC is definitely where you'll want to go to get a scope of competitive video game Pokemon. Even though singles has a much larger player base, there are not very many IRL tournaments with prizes on the line. VGC has really turned into something great and there are so many excellent people that give the game a great image. Most will be at Nationals, so you'll get a chance to talk to them. Good luck with all of this, I really look forward to seeing this in the future!
  11. rokman

rokman

I'm talking to a PR executive at TPCI right now. Just sent in my outline and proposal to the company to get consent rights and all that stuff.

Turns out I might even get funding!

Anyway, if everything works out with Pokemon and Nintendo, I can interview all age groups.

Also, It's very likely I'll be interviewing Devin Peltier-Robson (aka Marrilland) for the film as well.
  12. Feathers

Feathers

you could always interview me, i'm a girl.

but in all seriousness this looks like a great idea. all too often i'm pointed at when i say i play competitive pokemon. that, or people are wondering why competitive even exists. people outside the game aren't able to see that we're serious about what we do. and by that i mean we're serious about who we meet and who we talk to, and how we get to experience something as amazing as worlds, where we can literally meet people from all over the world. i've made some great friends thanks to pokemon, and i hope you're able to include that sort of thing in your film.

good luck and all the best. :)
  13. Dragonking700

Dragonking700

Hey dude, I think this looks like an awesome idea!

It would be so awesome to have a really pro video to show people who are confused about how I can be a competitive Pokemon player. Thanks for doing it!

Good luck, and I can't wait to see the finished product :D
  14. Dark Arceus

Dark Arceus

This sounds like a cool idea. And if your going to the Nationals you will most likely be able to meet the majority of the Smogon TCG and VGC players (2 things: 1. I know Smogon does have at least some members that play TCG which is why I included it and 2. A good portion of top players will be there, the ones that did well in regionals and the ones that couldn't make it to them but are still going to nationals). Maybe you can post the finished product here or something so members can see it? Also maybe you shouldn't just get absolute pros at vgc or tcg but maybe some littler contestants that know what there doing but maybe just have never competed before?

Dunno just some ideas I came up while looking at this thread

Edit: The reason I suggest also including people who that while they are not veterans, they still know how to play good, is to show a bit more veriity then people that come from competitive sites planning on winning (not generalizing, just people that come do want to win). I mean everyone wants to win but lots also just have a blast and don't care about winning even if they had a "perfect team"
  15. Solace

Solace swing from the chandelier
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

since nationals is open this year, worlds will be the best place to get top tier competition.

however, nats has a bigger player group, so it'll definitely give the real competitive feel

good luck with this documentary, seems like a great idea!
  16. Zog

Zog

Smart idea, looking forward to seeing what happens.

If you make it to worlds, I can see a pretty cool international element coming in: you should really point out how it's not just about the US, and mention how there's something of a cross-cultural element. I mean, I wouldn't know half as much as I do about the US were it not for Pokémon.

So for Europeans you'll definitely want some input from mi amigo Rubencb!!! Drug duck from Germany and Matty from Italy will be great to represent their countries, too. And if you want a brit, as the only one to have been to worlds twice (having to pay both times lol) then I'd be pretty decent, surprisingly enough lol. Though pretty much anyone who qualifies with a flight this year from europe is likely to be great to interview just in general.
  17. Magic Mewtwo

Magic Mewtwo

Drifblim is a good player. He won the Seniors division at Rhode Island recently beat Cybertron in the final round.
  18. soul_survivor

soul_survivor

I think this is a great idea. I bet you can find a plethora of players at nats that are extremely good, many of which are smogoneers/skarmblissers. Though at a worlds level you can see the diversity from canada, US, European countries, and Asian countries all playing one thing Pokemon.
  19. kinderlew

kinderlew

Dude we seem to have the same interests. I'm a junior in high school and I want to major in film and hopefully go to USC film (big dream). Last year I made a VGC documentary at Nationals and I'm going to do the same this year at Nationals and Worlds. If you need any help with anything just contact me, i can for sure show you around vgc.
  20. SilentRevolver

SilentRevolver

This idea is fantastic! I don't know how many times people look at me weird because I play pokemon Competitively. With all things considered I would hope that both VGC and TCG get shown around as both are HUGE in the world wide competitive communities. I really see this documentary with great potential to show us pokeman people in our element and how much fun we have playing it!
  21. Shinryu

Shinryu

If you're interested in some history from an old (and I mean old, talking 1999 and 2000s) perspective for your documentary from a videogaming side, I have lots of old material from Nintendo's first 2 "competitions" of sorts, which were mall tours they did back those 2 years. Feel free to PM me if interested, though I don't recall seeing your post at the Pokegym (I recognize your name from there, though I have a different one on there).
  22. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Guess I should say something. I am like the grandfather of sorts for VGC, I'm one of the few players who has been doing it every year since the VGS in 2008. I tried for several years to increase the visibility of VGC here on Smogon and what was once just a single thread in 2008 has evolved into a great community consisting of players from all over the world. My goal is to do something similar to what pooka and the guys over at The Top Cut are doing and trying to increase our visibility beyond just VGC or even Pokemon fans, and your documentary would be a nice step for not only the VGC community but the Pokemon community as a whole. JWittz touched on the ideas of grassroots tournaments and things like that in his Prof-It series, and this last weekend's Apex was a nice move in that direction of not just relying upon TPCi to fund and support tournaments. The only way this community can grow is through the efforts of the community.

I currently live in California and I am likely going to Nationals since I got a travel award in November, and I would like to help you in any way that I can in producing this.
  23. GARCHOMPZILLA

GARCHOMPZILLA

awesome idea, i think getting professional player's opinions/footage is cool, maybe if you make it a big project nintendo will let you in worlds but in the spirit of giving, I would certainly consider giving you my spot at worlds if I make it there.
  24. magicz8

magicz8

great idea if you are trying to get the attention of non-players,you might want to get several strategies for vgc/tcg and explain how they work,and maybe include somthing about basic game mechanics. and i suggest if you are aiming towards all divs you might want to feature the greats of each age division.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)