Pokemon Draft!

Trades or no trades in Rochester?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And this post is post number 100 in this thread, discounting the OP. I didn't figure that the format would go this far in such little time. Granted, we still have room for improvement, but it progressed a lot quicker than I expected.

Additionally, while the bot is working, we won't be able to keep it running the whole time. As such, bot drafts will only occur on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the big one on Saturday from now on.

If any of you people remember the earlier version of the OP, you may have remembered a game variant known as "Bid draft." Well, believe it or not, Witz actually took the time to implement Bid into DraftBot!

Bid works much like an auction. Each player is given 80 credits to start and a pool of Pokemon is created. The number of Pokemon in the pool is equal to 10 * the number of drafters, and the Pokemon are created in the 3:3:4 ratio.

Players take turns selecting a Pokemon to bid on. When a Pokemon is selected, its selector automatically bids 1 credit on it. The other players then, in real-time, may bid their own credits on the Pokemon (a bid can only be placed if it is higher than the previous bid). Whoever places the highest bid adds the Pokemon to his or her box and loses credits equal to the amount he or she bid.

A player with no credits cannot select a Pokemon for bidding. If a player obtains 8 Pokemon before exhausting his or her credits, he or she automatically loses the remaining credits. If a player exhausts his or her credits before obtaining 8 Pokemon, he or she will be randomly given Pokemon to fill up empty Pokemon slots AFTER the other players run out of credits or Pokemon slots.

Imo, Bid is a lot more balanced than Rochester because the Top OU Pokemon will usually end up costing you more credits than the lower ones.

These past two days have been pretty interesting on #pokedraft. We've had around 15 drafts seen to the end, thanks to the never-ending vigilance of Rodan, or Igor on the forums. We've also seen a large increase of general traffic, and has become just a fun place to hang out.

Ever since the Bid type draft was started, its become the easy favorite to play over Rochester. In addition to that, we've also made it though you can do drafts identical to these, except they are based off of the UU tier instead of OU. You can even do one where every fully evolved pokemon is available at random, even Ubers. So, if prefer UU over OU, or enjoy the occasional Random Battle, we now can cater to those preferences.

Edit: For previous drafters: Don't forget to vote in the poll.

Edit 2: In the time since I posted this, we've also put the CAP pokemon into the mix. Plenty for everyone to do. Ubers will also be available within the next few days.

I've seen some matches of these, and I really want to try this out, though I didn't really get how this works out when the decks are virtual. What does the host do? A lot of other stuff are a bit unclear for me, so I guess I'll just check out the IRC now and then.

I've updated the OP to include the Bid description as well as a few other things. It still needs proofreading, but I'll take care of that later.

I've seen some matches of these, and I really want to try this out, though I didn't really get how this works out when the decks are virtual. What does the host do? A lot of other stuff are a bit unclear for me, so I guess I'll just check out the IRC now and then.
You might be confusing this with the Pokemon TCG (haha, I know you as a member of PokeBeach). These aren't "decks" of cards, but rather Pokemon names. The draft idea itself was inspired by drafting in MtG, yes, but we've adapted it for Shoddy.

The host role has been diminished because we now have DraftBot to create the pool/packs. However, (and I do have to update this in the OP as well) the host does still have a role.

When the draft channel is created, the host is given ops and the rest of the participants are given voice (to distinguish them from spectators). The host therefore has the ability to moderate the channel and prevent stupidity. Additionally, the host records the results of battles into DraftBot with a special command.

this is actually very interesting

so do I sign up in the IRC channel or what?

just go to the irc channel, #pokedraft and you can run your own rochester with 3 of your friends through commands in the channel, or with two people you can have a bid. you could also be lucky to get someone willing to do one with you on the server.

just go to the irc channel, #pokedraft and you can run your own rochester with 3 of your friends through commands in the channel, or with two people you can have a bid. you could also be lucky to get someone willing to do one with you on the server.
I see. Well, it won't hurt to give it a try since I've been known to have notorious luck in drawing cards. What different is drawing pokemon from cards? (No I'm not mistaking this for TCG)

You don't draw Pokemon like cards, but you bid on them. Not completely sure since I went absent for like a month, but I think they all do the same kind of draft now where you bid on Pokemon with credits you're given at the beginning. It's a lot less luck, basically, and more careful planning.

In the other kind, though, you just choose Pokemon, so I guess your order is all the luck there is.

Rochester isn't the bidding. Sorry, I should have clarified. In Rochester a "pack" of Pokemon is revealed to you and you take turns picking what Pokemon you would like. So the only luck there is what order you are in. It changes every round but if you get first in the first round you'll be going later for the next two.

*incoming opinion*
Generally second is a much better spot as you get two rounds of high quality picking, making your team building easier as you can knock out quite a bit of your team.
*opinion over*

In Bid, that is where you bid. There is no luck in that kind of Draft as you just need to plan well and conserve your resources (credits). So neither is close to the insane amount of luck needed to draw what you need. Only Rochester is comparable by luck standards and it involves a lot less than drawing a card you need. Hope I explained it well enough this time around :P

Rochester isn't the bidding. Sorry, I should have clarified. In Rochester a "pack" of Pokemon is revealed to you and you take turns picking what Pokemon you would like. So the only luck there is what order you are in. It changes every round but if you get first in the first round you'll be going later for the next two.

*incoming opinion*
Generally second is a much better spot as you get two rounds of high quality picking, making your team building easier as you can knock out quite a bit of your team.
*opinion over*

In Bid, that is where you bid. There is no luck in that kind of Draft as you just need to plan well and conserve your resources (credits). So neither is close to the insane amount of luck needed to draw what you need. Only Rochester is comparable by luck standards and it involves a lot less than drawing a card you need. Hope I explained it well enough this time around :P
allright I get it I get it
no worries, the luck will manifest itself in hax then :P

Update: Concealed Draft is now functional on DraftBot!

What is Concealed? Well, quite a few people here were asking for a draft type similar to the MtG Booster Draft system, so we obliged!

In this new mode, DraftBot PMs you a pack and you pick a Pokemon from it. Once everyone has selected a Pokemon, the packs rotate, and you get someone else's pack to choose from (minus the Pokemon they picked, of course). This continues until everyone has 8 Pokemon, whereupon DraftBot displays the picks in the draft channel.

The advantage in this mode is that it is significantly faster than any of the other draft types. Whereas (with four people) drafting in Rochester takes around 10 minutes and drafting in Bid takes around 30 minutes, drafting in Concealed can take less than 5 minutes! (This is due to the fact that several people are selecting Pokemon at once, so in a four-person Concealed draft, the speed is effectively quadrupled).

Get out there and try the new mode!

(I'll edit the OP with Concealed information sometime soon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)