Pokemon Fire Red Omega In-Game Discussion/Tiering

As far as early game goes, not sure if anyone noticed this, but you're able to get a Larvitar in Mt. Moon. All the narrow pathways hold exclusive Pokemon, such as Slugma and Numel. Larvitar can be caught in there at ~ Level 14. Makes the Dratini trade useless.

Trying to catch enough Pokemon for Oak's Aides check-ins is really annoying. There's almost a non-existent amount of Kanto pokes comapred to Hoenn pokes.

Anyone have suggestions for my team? I'm currently stuck at Fuschia gym, I've been level grinding to help. My Ace team is currently:

Electabuzz, Level 39. T-Wave, Thunderbolt, Fire Punch, Ice Punch.
Gardevoir, Level 40. CM, Psychic, Ice Punch, Magical Leaf.
Swampert, level 37. Rock Slide, Mud Shot, Muddy Water, Mud-Slap.
Arcanine, level 36. Ember (I don't know how to get Flamethrower), Odor Slueth, Take Down, Leer. Really don't have a good fire type and don't know who to replace it with, IV's were pretty good when I checked, nothing below 17.
Dragonair, level 31. (WIP obv) T-Wave, Dragon Rage, Twister, Slam.
Nidoking, level 40. Horn Attack, Fury Attack, Poison Sting, Brick Break. (Help with moves on this one too)

I scrapped Meganium after Celadon because there's no good area to level it up at, everything is poison and flying. I had to evolve eevee into Umbreon because all the other options were already taken, and I only intend on using him in Saffron. I've caught every Pokemon available in the Safari Zone, and I have a level 36 Doduo sitting in my box which is apparently OP. Any advice as far as what I can use that is easily available before Saffron?
Traded Larvitar > Larvitar ... Because Larvitar sucks so much experience and needs Dig. You could learn Surf to Nidoking / Dratini / Swampert ... Ice Beam could be taugth too (trade near Vermilion City)

Flamethrower : TM gained from traded Camerupt in Cinnabar Island

Traded Larvitar > Larvitar ... Because Larvitar sucks so much experience and needs Dig
But the point at when you get the trade he comes much farther ahead that instead of fishing for a level 16 dratini outside, you've probably already got a level 20-ish Larvitar instead if you really wanted to have a Tyranitar.

Alternatively if you're really lazy and want a Tyranitar that badly just catch a high levelled one off Sevault Canyon, available as soon as beating Blaine.

Pretty sure you shouldn't have much of a problem due to Gardevoir (and I'm pretty sure Electabuzz gets Psychic at 39, so...) Brick Break is buyable and can be learnt by quite a fair bit of Pokemon as coverage, so abuse that.

I'm pretty sure Koga had higher level pokes than Sabrina

I wasn't expecting the Light Screen/CM Baton Pass, so I got wrecked by Gardevoir. Finally found Charmander after searching for so long, he's replacing Arcanine. I need to do some major level grinding with Umbreon and Charmeleon, other than that Sabrina's gym doesn't seem too difficult. Is there any Pokes I should really consider catching and training before I go off to Cinnabar? Swampert and Electabuzz should be fine getting there, and then I can just get Articuno for Viridian. Already caught Zapdos, it didn't seem nearly as difficult as usual, it only needed two Ultra Balls in yellow health. I don't see why I should use him over Electabuzz, but I plan on using him when traveling to Cinnabar. Is it worth it to buy A bunch of Max Repels and only battle the trainers or will I need the training?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I caught a level 21 Dratini, so my traded Larvitar needed only 1 level to get Rock Slide. Also, Larvitar is annoyingly difficult to level up without Dig (I couldn't believe it had only Bite and that it couldn't learn Mega Punch/Kick), so I'd say the Mt. Moon one is really hard to work with until you get through Cerulean anyway. With Dig and boosted experience, traded Larvitar hits that magic 22 really fast (Rock Slide), especially if you get a high level Dratini. Also, Guaranteed Lonely nature is golden (boosted ATK, lowered DEF, but this allows TTar to smash shit while using Special attacks like Crunch/Fire Blast/Thunderbolt effectively-- fantastic in-game nature).

I'd say beating Koga is a big priority since Surf gives you access to Lucky Egg.

If you are REALLY having trouble beating him, use the Double Team TM (I think it's in the Safari Zone) on something that resists Sludge/Fire Blast (like your Swampert). If you throw in an X-Speed and X-Attack, you can easily set up on Weezing and sweep Koga's whole team.

edit: Yes, Zapdos had its capture level raised. The real challenging catches are the dogs.

If you are REALLY having trouble beating him, use the Double Team TM (I think it's in the Safari Zone) on something that resists Sludge/Fire Blast (like your Swampert). If you throw in an X-Speed and X-Attack, you can easily set up on Weezing and sweep Koga's whole team.
Pupitar resists those moves, but not Tyranitar.

no, rock also resists poison, so tyranitar can resist them too. pupitar just has a 4x poison resistance :>
So it is. I guess I mucked up because no-one ever uses Poison-types. Still, Pupitar would probably still be better against Koga thanks to SE STAB attacks

I swear Koga literally had the same level pokes as Blaine

Just beat Giovanni, this is too much fun. The Shelgon I got at Cinnabar has an Atk iv of 31, it's fantastic. Currently running Tyranitar, Dragonite, Salamence, Swampert, Electabuzz, and Gardevoir. For some reason, my Electabuzz decided it wanted to have Static as it's ability instead of Volt Absorb and I never noticed it. Anyways, Suicune was also a pretty easy catch, too bad I won't use it. Are there any Legends besides the two trios available before the E4? I'd really like to replace Dragonite or Salamence, probably Dragonite. I'm not gonna even bother with Moltres or the Sevii islands, they're nothing interesting there other than Slaking and that's pushing it. Electabuzz has slowly been getting worse, but it really doesn't have the favorable matchups anymore. Are there any surprises in E4 I should be prepared for like a random level 70 poke?

I have just defeated Brock.

Brock is just so trollish with its Vulpix with Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, Substitute and Ember.

Onix may also be annoying with Swagger, Dig and Dragonbreath.

My current team is Smoochum, Ponyta and Shroomish, Zigzagoon and Rattata are mostly death fodder, and Zigzagoon, Pickup user. I decided not to use Hoenn's starters, I have played so many times RSE with them.

Ponyta is dissapointing, not Fire STAB until lv 14? WTF?
Misses the Viridian Forest and Route 3 which will be easy EXP routes with STAB Fire and the routes Fire attacks are the most useful in-game... Quick Attack is decent, but STAB Ember would be great. I think Flareon, which now has Superpower instead of Smog at level 42(or 44, i don't remember) and Fire Attacks are not too much needed Late-game I think as they are in RBY

So Smoochum would have done a great job in Viridian Forest with her Special Ice Stab instead of leveling up the pony.

At least, if grinded, Ponyta(with Flash Fire) has little to fear against Brock's Vulpix, only Confuse Ray hax.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ponyta's basically outclassed by houndour, who gets stab ember right away, and flash fire. Houndour also gets stab dark moves, starting with the thief tm-- very useful.

Besides swampert, pupitar and Ttar, vibrava/flygon also resist fire and poison.

Pupitar gets extra props against Koga because she'd skin cures toxic, making a double team set up on wheezing even easier

So... Problem. You can complete the Sevii Islands to reset the Elite Four and make them stronger without actually beating them first. So I've got all level 60's against a bunch of level 80's. Just throwing that out there to anyone who plays through it and makes the same mistake.

Why would Pupitar set up with Double Team when Venomoth and Tentacruel still have an existing chance to switch in and OHKO you with a 4x effective move? There's a ~57% chance that either one or the other hits you with +6 evasion.

For Houndour, I would consider Early Bird for the occasions where it doesn't OHKO and gets slept, because it's unlikely that you'll be using it as a fire-counter (Blaine's best mons run Earthquake or Cross Chop/Sky Uppercut or both).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
^The evasion boosts are helpful, especially with Leftovers and Shed Skin. Give a chance to throw in an X-Speed and X-Attack. Pupitar can easily OHKO both Venomoth and Tentacruel. At a decent level (~43) it doesn't even need the X-Attack. 1 X-Attack will let it OHKO both even at level ~36 (Rock Slide / Dig). Also Venomoth can't really OHKO you...

Obviously not the most efficient way to win, but effective if you want to beat Koga super early (in order to get the Lucky Egg or Salamence sooner).

So... Problem. You can complete the Sevii Islands to reset the Elite Four and make them stronger without actually beating them first. So I've got all level 60's against a bunch of level 80's. Just throwing that out there to anyone who plays through it and makes the same mistake.
Free rematch against a weak 6-Blissey trainer with Rare Candy / Luck Egg to steal

By the looks of it, this thread is pretty old, but either way, I hope someone still pops in every now and then to look for new replies.

Anywho, Where can I find a Sneasel and Cyndaquil? (note, I will more than likely be popping in with more questions later on if this gets answered)

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Cyndaquil is north of Nugget Bridge. No idea about Sneasel though, try Seafoam Islands or the cave in Four Island.

This is a very great hack.
It's a helluva lot more challenging than regular fire red.
I've beaten the elite four and am working on the sevii islands.
(Btw lots of level training meets to go into beating them, as all my Pokemon were 60-63 and I was still 5 levels under leveled)
My team is as follows

•lvl 61 metagross

•lvl 64 raikou

•lvl 64 flygon

•lvl 64 blastoise

•lvl 65 gengar

•lvl 65 magmar

Though I cannot find the move relearner, it's pretty agitating.

Still, great hack, and I suggest to everyone who stopped playing it to continue playing, great fun.

I had a lot of fun with this hack. It was nice that the gym leaders actually had competent movesets for once (Although Brock's Vulpix is evil!); not to mention the trainer with 6 Endeavor-spamming Blisseys that hold Rare Candies.

My current team is:

-Sparky (Electabuzz level 81, Thief/Brick Break/Volt Tackle/Psychic
-Cyberduck (Porygon2 level 72, Tri Attack/Psychic/Ice Beam/Shock Wave
-Whiskers (Whiscash level 72, Earthquake/Surf/Rock Tomb/Future Sight
-Sandy (Tyranitar level 80, Earthquake/Rock Slide/Strength/Fire Blast)
-Aerodactyl level 80, Hyper Beam/Fly/Ancientpower/Double-edge
-Sceptile level 71, Aerial Ace/Leaf Blade/Brick Break/Thunderpunch

Not the best team, I know, but I still had a great time with this hack.

So I've played this game four times already till becoming the champion, defeating elite four once at their strongest. This game is so fucking awesome. The starters are all really great. Elekid is the best, Smoochum is good too but his defences are crap and Magby has a nice movepool but fire type isn't really great during the game.

So during my first try I took Elekid. I tried to use the three kanto starters all the way, but I dropped Treecko even before Misty. Swampert is one of the most useful assests in the game, it's typing and bulk is just great.

My final team looked like this:

Electabuzz
Swampert
Blaziken
Alakazam
Houndoom
Tropius (HM Slave)

If only I knew about Salamence earlier. Seriously, I have it in my last try and it's level 95 now with EQ, Flamethrower, Fly and Doubleedge and it rocks.
Houndoom was a must for Jynx, Blaziken was actually pretty useless through the game and I only used it because he looks cool. Swampert is just awesome, Alakazam has a great movepool being able to use fire punch and thunderpunch as special moves. I actually used my level 40 Tropius to take down level 60 Heracross :D.
_____

This game is just too addicting. I'm going to play it over again on my phone but then without the easy saving mid battle and see how hard this game actually is when you play it normally. I feel so bad now for playing it the easy way..

all 389 are incorporated into the game.
Technically not true. Most are in the game, but there are a few that aren't. Specifically, you cannot get a Whismur/Loudred/Exploud or a Volbeat/Illumise. Also, you cannot get an Elekid/Magby/Smoochum (and as a result, an Electabuzz/Magmar/Jynx) apart from your starter, so the two that you don't choose are unobtainable.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Technically not true. Most are in the game, but there are a few that aren't. Specifically, you cannot get a Whismur/Loudred/Exploud or a Volbeat/Illumise. Also, you cannot get an Elekid/Magby/Smoochum (and as a result, an Electabuzz/Magmar/Jynx) apart from your starter, so the two that you don't choose are unobtainable.
I'm not sure about older versions, but the one I have does include Whismur (found in Mt. Moon 1F) and Volbeat/Illumise (found on route 24). I believe the first releases lacked these, however.

Gengar is an absolute monster, by the way. It evolves from Haunter at level 38 and gets Fire Punch and Ice Punch right away. If you can spare the Thunderbolt TM, it's going to be wrecking some entire gyms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)