Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

Edit: I've gotten multiple reports of users outside the US not able to view the trailer. Here's an alternative upload by IGN:

It looks like every generation is getting a little bit of the origins treatment for the 20th anniversary! Pokemon Generations is an upcoming series of short running until late December starring highlight events from every generation. In the trailer alone, there are glimpses of stuff like N's castle, Looker, and the Red Gyarados. Pretty excited for this myself!

Approved to be its own thread by DHR-107

Last edited:
No, I can't confirm when the first use of Generation was, but it's been prempted at least once - the last TCG set in the current block (XY) is called "Generations".

The poster for this is aesthetically terrible. I've always hated the anime posters for their cliche setup and terrible shading, but this one is just so, so bad.

No, I can't confirm when the first use of Generation was, but it's been prempted at least once - the last TCG set in the current block (XY) is called "Generations".

The poster for this is aesthetically terrible. I've always hated the anime posters for their cliche setup and terrible shading, but this one is just so, so bad.
I meant as a term for referring to each individual generation as the fan made term implies, generations isn't making reference to the fan term and the meaning.

EDIT: Red is seen looking at Zygrade-100% so...rip him not being involved with everything?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Cool! I guess they are doing it because of how successful Pokemon Origins were.
But why is it so American styled and in English? Is it produced in USA?

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Red vs Zygarde Complete!This is gonna be one epic battle oml, hope red doesnt catch it (0.11)
Seems that this series's main character is red, he also has a pikachu this time (0.26)

Link

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cool! I guess they are doing it because of how successful Pokemon Origins were.
But why is it so American styled and in English? Is it produced in USA?
I heard it hasn't been announced for Japan, so maybe?

Also, I really hope Red isn't going to the main character in all of the shorts. I want to see the other game protags get some love.

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
I hope Red isn't involved in every story and it isn't as rushed as Origin.
Well considering each episode only last for 3-5 minutes, there isn't going to be much of a story to rush anyway... Judging from the trailer, Red will be pretty much involved in everything.
And I doubt they'd want to hire too many voice actors for all the protagonists just for some shorts (and animating cost too?), as much as I wish I could see all of them get animated.

If we don't include Gen 7, then it's 3 episodes per generation. This is really round so I'm assuming Gen 7 will probably be merged with Gen 6 (Zygarde-100%)

Karxrida

Something really easy to miss is that it one segment appears to be showing off what appears to be Buck's Claydol vs. Heatran in Mt. Stark. Cheryl also shows up being chased by Haunter, presumably before Lucas/Dawn met up with her in the woods I can't remember the name of.

I think a good chunk of these might be "Day in the Limelight" stories for lesser characters.

Tfw I can't watch the trailers because I'm in a place with no wifi

Still, I'm interested. Though like other people, I do hope it doesn't focus solely on Red. Wouldn't be surprised if it did though, considering all the gen 1 pandering we've been getting.

Last edited:
This looks really cool. I'll definitely watch all of the episodes. But like some posters above, I hope Red is not going to be in all of them and that they instead give focus to all protagonists from each generation. I'm looking forward to seeing some of them who hasn't appeared much in the regular anime or animated trailers, most notably Lucas, Hilbert, Hilda and Calem.

This seems genuinely intriguing and something that I will most likely invest time into watching. Definitely seems to be aimed at older Pokemon fans like with Pokemon Origins. 3-5 minutes per episode is a pretty big disappointment however and the art style isn't my cup of tea (though the animation genuinely looks amazing imo).

Also, Red is only shown in segments involving Kalos and Kanto, so I think he will only be the main character in episodes focusing specifically on those 2 regions. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the main character for the entire series however.

If the episodes will only be 5 minutes long then they are definitely only sticking with Red. They don't have to establish his origin story and just continue from Origins. If this is canon from the Pokemon Origins short I wonder if he keeps his Mega Charizard X.

It's a shame they probably don't have a higher budget so they can produce lengthier content. I'd prefer to pay for longer episodes then get these free really short ones. Overall though I'm happy they're doing this.

They are having Red as the protagonist and Pikachu as the main Pokémon.. COME ON MAN NOT AGAIN.. AREN'T WE BORED OF THE SAME PIKACHU

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Assuming these are all new stories and not something the player would have seem:

0:03: N's Castle? Though it doesn't look like it. Also who are on the staircases? If it is N's Castle maybe the Unova Elite Four. On does look like Shauntel's collar.
0:09: So is this the story about how the Brass/Burned Tower burned down and the Legendary Beasts were created or is this the scene where the player meets them and they run off?
0:10: Red confronting Perfect Zygarde? Where is this taking place? I'm going to assume this is the same cave we saw in the beginning with the hole shooting out light. Judging by the rivers we saw at 0:01 and the wooden planks in the cave maybe it's Terminus Cave? But what's Red doing in Kalos?
0:14: This has to be post the events of Gen I as Giovanni is wearing his "exiled" trench coat.
0:17: Why are you hiding his face? It's Red. The clothes are kind of a dead giveaway (unless they want to pull some kind of surprise reveal though that could easily turn into something stupid if not handled right).
0:19: A Looker story which involved Poke SWAT using a Machamp to burst through a wall. This would have to be a story outside of the games as he operated alone when you meet him in the games. And the only side story involving Looker I can imagine fans wanting to know is the one involving how he lost Croagunk.
0:26: Guessing this is connected to the Red encountering Zygarde story. Say, does Pikachu look a bit roundish?
0:30: Since the Red Gyarados was still in the Lake of Rage and Lance was nearby during that part of Gen II's events I'm going to guess this scene shows Lance attempting to defeat/catch the Red Gyarados before the player arrived?
0:36: Blue's Elite Four Challenge, that should be fun to see. And we'll finally get the answer whether there was no Champion before Blue defeated the Elite Four.
0:38: Guessing this is part of the Looker story, we saw Poke SWAT with an Arcanine and it's infiltrating a building like how Machamp was used to break through the wall.
0:39: Buck & his Claydol battling Heatran.
0:42: Cheryl & her Chansey must have an adventure in the Old Chateau.
0:43: More of Blue's Elite Four Challenge (Blue, did you really need to slam Bruno's Machamp into him?). And I just now realized that, in addition to being a balanced team, Blue's team also was made to defeat the Elite Four. Rhydon/Arcanine/Exeggutor for Lorelei, Pidgeot/Alakazam/Exeggutor/Blastoise for Bruno, & Pidgeot/Alakazam for Agatha. Nothing really for Lance but Blue's team is varied enough it can take on his Dragon-types (plus Gyarados and Aerodactyl).
0:44: Regigigas in Snowpoint Temple.
0:54: I'm going to guess this is where the episode of Blue's Elite Four Challenge ends. Also this is a different voice for Blue than from Origins (who was voiced by Lucien Dodge, unless he changed the way Blue sounds for some reason).

The poster reveals several more possible stories:
  • Primal Groudon & Primal Kyogre (since the two didn't face each other in ORAS either we're going to see one of their ancient battles OR they'll have their battle in Emerald if it had been done in ORAS)
  • Ho-Oh (could be connected with the Legendary Beast's story if they tell the story of the Brass/Burned Tower)
  • AZ (considering he lived for 3,000 years there's probably a few AZ stories you can tell. Though since he's next to the Primals maybe it'll be him witnessing their ancient battle and planting the tree in Sootopolis (and the eternal flower))
  • Giovanni (now here is Giovanni in his normal Rocket Boss clothes, so will there be at least two episodes featuring Giovanni or will we get an episode focused on Giovanni's rise and fall?)
  • Cyrus, Giratina & Spear Pillar (with Cyrus, Giratina, and behind Ho-Oh is Spear Pillar they could maybe show what Cyrus had been doing in the Distortion World)
  • Lysandre & Perfect Zygarde (well we saw Perfect Zygarde in the trailer so we know a bit of its story, though I have to also imagine Lysandre has something to do with it too. Maybe we'll see what happened after the firing of the Ultimate Weapon? Or we could take a glimpse of Lysandre's rise and fall, honestly you can do that with all the bosses)
  • N, Ghetsis, & Kyurem (speaking of which. And since he's in his BW2 clothes we could fill in what happened with Team Plasma in the 2 year gap between the two games (how Neo Plasma was formed, how Ghetsis found and chose Colress as the new boss, capturing Kyurem, and what N and the old Team Plasma was doing))
  • Looker (like AZ, though he hasn't lived nearly as long, being an international police officer has probably given him plenty of stories to tell. Though since he's next to N and Ghetsis maybe his story is trying to find Ghetsis or N (and it could still be the story how he lost Croagunk as BW happened 2 years before XY (XY and BW2 took place at the same time)))

The English Pokemon Youtube channel's header has some more images.

Nothing major though we see:
  • Blue standing on what looks to be a castle top.
  • Pikachu dodging a Vigoroth on a bridge.
  • Loreli
  • Pikachu battling a Caterpie

Finally Bulbapedia got its hands on some concept art:
Team Plasma Grunts

N Expressions

N Full Body

Sycamore

Pikachu in a forest (guessing Viridian?)

Pikachu in desert ruins (Relic Castle maybe?)

Lumiose City (not sure where though, maybe in front of a much more stylized version of the Southern Boulevard Pokemon Center? There's the gaint monitor screen in the background. Also I think that Prism Tower is just a sketch and not where the Prism Tower is, otherwise its freakishly huge and out of the city's borders when it's suppose to be in the center)

Karxrida

Concept art looks great. I wonder how they got a hold of it.

It's saddening that Pikachu's prescence in the concept art of Relic Castle is leading credence to the idea that Red is going to be unnecessarily shilled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)