Pokemon Glitches

In Yellow, start a new game, leave your bedroom, save, and do a hard reset. When you start up again, you should have a bunch of items in your inventory. Move them around in a specific order, leave your house, and you win.

Gen 1 was the best gen.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
But it is very VERY obvious this isn't intended. I remember having an argument with a few people about this very thing and how "we should match the cartridge". The set up required for acid rain and how it comes about is really convoluted, there is no possible way this is intended and Smogon was quite right to never adopt it. Regardless of its "lack of game breaking".
I acknowlegdge it wasn't intended. However, it was a mechanic present in the games that couldn't be avoided at all in battle and, at the same time, didn't break the game. This is not the place to discuss it, however, so I guess I'll drop it here.

In Yellow, start a new game, save as soon as you can, and do a hard reset. When you start up again, you should have a bunch of items in your inventory. Move them around in a specific order, walk into a wall, and you win.

Gen 1 was the best gen.
...Wait what wut. What happens then

Ah glitches. I took my Scramble of Blue version to show off a fair number of the simpler, less game breaking ones.

For instance, Rage is bugged to shit in RBY. Unlike in future versions of the games, when you pick rage you're locked into it for the rest of the match. This is annoying but not horrific on its own and was likely intended. What clearly WASN'T intended was that if Rage ever missed (whether naturally like all moves in RBY or due to evasion raising/accuracy lowering moves used by the opponent) its accuracy rolls over from the usual 99.6% to 0.4%, essentially rendering the Pokemon using rage completely useless and unable to switch from battle. I used this against my rival's Charmeleon/Charizard twice in my Scramble for the lulz.

Another cool one is that the effects of Leech Seed and Toxic stack in a weird way in RBY. Toxic acts like normal, but Leech Seed gains the intensity increasing characteristic of Toxic if they're used on the same Pokemon. This means that you essentially have TWO toxic statuses on your opponent and one of them is healing you for all the damage it does. Combined they can take down a Pokemon in 4 turns, and if the opponent heals it can do enough damage to KO them from full health in only 8 turns as opposed to 15 for Toxic. Oh, and one more little awesome bit, in generation I Leech Seed heals you for the amount of damage it WOULD do, even if the opponent doesn't have that much HP left. So if your opponent has a little sliver of health left after several turns of this, you'll STILL be healed for the full amount.

Also there's a huge range of glitch Pokemon in Generation I, just look here for all you could ever want to know about them.

Remember the tweaking glitch from dpp, where you can get to anywhere on the map after taking a very specific path of steps.

in emerald I used a gameshark code, but I keyed it in wrongly
ever since then, there would be a stupid bad egg at the first column of the fourth row in the first box of the pc.
tried the cloning glitch several times to remove it, but always comes back the next day. just an annoyance though

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wait, fuck, how could we forget about the Pomeg Berry Glitch?

So yeah, that.
Such a fucking pain in the ass to do, as well.

in emerald I used a gameshark code, but I keyed it in wrongly
ever since then, there would be a stupid bad egg at the first column of the fourth row in the first box of the pc.
tried the cloning glitch several times to remove it, but always comes back the next day. just an annoyance though
That's not a glitch, just your own stupidity.

Gen 1 Focus Energy and Rage are undoubtedly one of the worst glitches, heck I don't even know whether to call it a glitch or just shitty programming. That and Gen 1 Blizzard, but for different reasons.

How is gen1 blizzard a glitch?

The first glitch to cross generations was the cloning glitch, which existed in RBY but wasn't discovered until GSC.

This isn't really a glitch persay, but rather a trivial design flaw, but if you throw a pokeball whilst a pokemon has flown up into the sky, it will do its usual catching animation despite the pokemon not being there.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This isn't really a glitch persay, but rather a trivial design flaw, but if you throw a pokeball whilst a pokemon has flown up into the sky, it will do its usual catching animation despite the pokemon not being there.
That no longer works in Generation 5.

00:01? Too slow :P

Dokokashira Door glitch in pokemon green is also interesting, but you can't go under 00:04
As far as I can see the first one is not on Bulbapedia, so that is very interesting.

And I have 2 New PokéStar Studios glitches that I discovered (that is not on Bulbapedia, or anywhere else that I can find for that matter:pimp:):

1st, PokéStar Studios U-turn/Volt Switch glitch: When the Pokémon uses U-turn/Volt Switch in a film instead of giving the message "(Pokémon)-went-back-to-(Trainer's name)." it will say instead "(Pokémon)-went-back-to--." (I used - for spaces to show that the name becomes a blank space). This happens whether or not the name is changed in the film.

2nd, PokéStar Studios Illusion glitch: When doing a film where your name is based off of the lead Pokémon name, you're aloud bring 2 or more Pokémon, and you bring a Pokémon with the ability Illusion in the lead, then the name will change 1-4 times in the film. Times that the name changes are: when the battle starts (becomes copied Pokémon's name), when Illusion is broken (becomes the Pokémon who is using Illusion), when a line choice comes up (becomes the first copied Pokémon again), and at the end of the film (becomes the name of the Pokémon on the field). The film preview, the film intro, and the credits will still show the correct name though.

Also the Pomeg glitch made it into gen.4 as well.

I think my favourite glitch is entering Cycling Road without a bike in RB (and probably also Y). Go into the Cycling Road guardhouse (either one) with the bicycle uncollected or in the PC, hold left, mash B. It's really really easy (you don't even have to mash B particularly hard), and leaves you wondering "why did they never test this?".

Then you're magically on a bicycle when you get through.

I remember being able to obtain all three starters in GS using the cloning glitch. You just have to do it at the very beginning of the game. That was the best.

But it is very VERY obvious this isn't intended. I remember having an argument with a few people about this very thing and how "we should match the cartridge". The set up required for acid rain and how it comes about is really convoluted, there is no possible way this is intended and Smogon was quite right to never adopt it. Regardless of its "lack of game breaking".

ahhh but you could argue that psychic's immunity to ghost in gen 1 wasn't supposed to be there, but it happened, and smogon remains true to it.

also things like focus energy.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
ahhh but you could argue that psychic's immunity to ghost in gen 1 wasn't supposed to be there, but it happened, and smogon remains true to it.

also things like focus energy.
That was a game specific mechanic. Not some convoluted over the top combination of moves to get the desired effect. There is a large difference. Even if it was a mistake on GFs part (Which it looks like), Gen 1 type tables is very different to a complex set of moves being combined to create a glitch.

Not exactly a glitch, but one of Giovanni's Dugtrio's in Pokemon Yellow only had Ground- type coverage. It was fun to catch a Pidgey on Route 1 and send it out on that Dugtrio, as it was completely helpless.

Well, that's just having a crappy moveset rather than an actual glitch. But if you wanna talk about shitty movesets, Blue's Exeggutor in the Champion battle absolutely takes the cake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)