1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokemon Lab > Shoddy?

Discussion in 'Shoddy Battle and Pokémon Lab' started by The Toolinator, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Toolinator

The Toolinator

What I mean is (forgive me, I'm new), What does this simulator have that makes it better than the original Shoddy? Aside from the aesthetic changes, of course. I have noticed those and they're very pretty.

I'm not scoffing at this, I'm just genuinely confused and don't know.
  2. Wichu

Wichu ACUPRESSURE
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Firstly, it's being actively maintained (Shoddy is no longer being worked on). As such, it has (or will eventually have) fewer bugs.
    Secondly, I believe this has Pokémon nature/EV restrictions, so Pokémon like Arceus and Flare Blitz Entei are usable.
    And finally, it supports 2v2 battles (and anything up to 6v6).

I'm sure there's more, but those are the improvements off the top of my head.
  3. MrHands

MrHands

I'm a little confused too. 2v2 is really cool, but is that the only important change? I mean PO and Netbattle have had 2v2 for a long time now.
  4. Foster

Foster

It is also much better suited for Gen V.
  5. DJXO9

DJXO9

The client for Pokelab is also written in C++, which will allow it to have the 500 users without lag, that Shoddy would normally crumple under. I'm terrible at programming, so I can't really go into depth. There are plenty other people who could though.
  6. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

It is essentially a restructuring that will make future additions much easier to implement for the development team. If you're not convinced that it's better than Shoddy now, then wait until they've shown how much it's going to be expanded.
  7. Aqueos

Aqueos

:P JUst wait until the fifth gen gets implemented. Then you'll wonder. (and we'll be able to fix bugs much easier)
  8. ShinyAzelf

ShinyAzelf
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

When 5th generation comes out, no doubt Pokemon Lab will be better. Its also cooler to battle on Pokemon Lab. They're about equal right now.
  9. kuja20

kuja20

Whilst I'm sure that PokeLab is a lot smoother and more efficient than Shoddy, Shoddy allowed the use of alts. PokeLab forces the user to use their Smogon Forum account, and as per the rules on these forums, the use of alts are prohibited. Am I missing something, or can you not use any kind of alternate account on PokeLab? Personally, I would rather ladder and test teams under an alternate account. This is deliberate, but what is the problem with having alts on there? For testing purposes, I think alts are probably necessary.

This sole "issue" is probably one the reasons why people may choose Pokemon-Online over PokeLab. Would this be different for the other sites/groups when they're able to host their own servers on PokeLab? Or will it force uses to log in with their Smogon account?

This is definately a positive step from Shoddy, but it has taken too long for public release seeing as Pokemon-Online has already established itself properly. Only time will tell I guess to see if this becomes increasingly more popular than Pokemon-Online. Also I'm looking forward to the eventuality of the inclusion of the Gen 5 pokemon and metagame :3. A definate thanks and appreciation is in order to all those who have put in their time and effort into creating and programming PokeLab; there's a lot of hard work needed to code it, so well done PokeLab team!
  10. Smurf.

Smurf.
    is a Past SPL Winner

Pokemon-Online is a joke, the RNG is... mystifying? The amount of one sided-hax it generates is flat out ridiculous. Pr(X)= 0.0016 isnt as rare as you think... PokeLab will be better. To be fair, PO does have an aesthetically better team builder and I like the trademark win/loss phrases you can preset.
  11. Curtains

Curtains

what sets Poke lab from PO is pokelab will have better battlers 100% of the time.If you want fancy music and pretty colors and everyone using lead furret go to PO. But if you want a good chance to get a good battle pokelab or even shoody 1 will suffice.
  12. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Anonymous battling will soon be implemented.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of improvements in this beta alone:

• Most accurate 4th gen Pokémon engine around (this is huge)
    • Being actively maintained, so bugs will be fixed
    • Improved interface with new features like auto-logging, timestamps in chat, muting, ignore, a sortable battle list with tiers, personal messages, an improved team builder
    • Better designed to handle server load
    • Better designed for future gen development
    • N v N Pokémon battles (from 2 v 2 and VGC to 6 v 6)
    Please don't use this forum for the discussion of other simulators.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)