Pokemon needs an overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposted in this forum because a mod locked my original thread, instead of charitably moving it to a forum they deem more suitable for this kind of post.

My opinion is likely a lamb in a lion's den, but oh well, here goes :^)

I've spent hundreds of hours creating teams and playing competitive Pokemon, and with Sun/Moon being a lackluster installment that adds little to the series' aging formula, I'm become more and more displeased with Pokemon. The mechanics severely need an overhaul, and not some flashy gimmick like Mega Evolution or Z-moves that's meant to sell more units than to make gameplay fresh.

I don't have the end-all change to "make Pokemon great again", but I know where to start: reduce the luck factor. Every Pokemon player has lost games because of that random critical hit, or when our move missed. First, remove crits entirely. There's no reason they should exist in online play. Maybe in singleplayer, fine, but Battlespot should not have them. There's nothing competitive or fair about them. Also, remove accuracy. These two changes will involve removing or retooling stuff like Bright Powder, No Guard, Super Luck, and the like, but it has to be done to reduce the power of RNGesus on competitive play. Game Freak can even nerf base power of moves, so instead of Focus Blast having 120 base power and 70% accuracy, give it 85 base power (120 x 0.7, rounded to a factor of 5), or Fire Blast with 110 base power and 85% accuracy and change it to 90/95 base power (110 x 0.85)

And for the love of god, stop making Battlespot Singles 3 on 3. Multibattles and Doubles involve a team of 4 Mons in any given battle, so why is Singles restricted to having one less Mon? I've not seen a convincing argument as to why this should be. The more new Pokemon and Mega Evolutions they add, coupled with the luck factor and the other failings of the battle system, makes a team of 3 even more restricted than it already is.

Not like my rambling here will change anything, though. Game Freak will continue the cycle by making a new gen with a new gimmick, then a remake, make another gen with a new gimmick, do another remake, ad nauseum. Because why cater to the older generation who grew up playing the series? It's all about the le edgy kids :^)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands Rules said:
2. Only discuss released or announced aspects of games, anime, and manga.
  • Do not post "wishlist" threads (e.g. "What abilities do YOU want to see in Gen 8?")
  • Do not post PC++ threads like "What is your favorite/least favorite _____?"
  • When discussing games during pre-release, only discuss information confirmed by trustworthy sources.
  • Rumors may be discussed once they have been proven beyond reasonable doubt.
I'm afraid this thread breaks rule 2 of the OI rules, so I'll have to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)