1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokemon NPC mafia postgame

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by imperfectluck, Oct 9, 2009.

1. imperfectluck

imperfectluck
    is a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 4th Official Smogon Tournament

The village started with only 12 guaranteed members, but had quite a lot more powers than is usual, at one point in the game there were up to 6 villagers that were immune to death that night! There were only 12 guaranteed villagers because I took into account neutrals that would want to help village, power of village roles, and mafia crossfires.

The village:

Toothache was the standard village alliance checker, but unfortunately he died on the first night without accomplishing anything. Was later revived by Team Aether, which was a good choice, but Da Letter El was unable to unite the remaining village members or get many claims, and died with Team Aether before he was able to sign on and defend Team Aether who he knew was clean. He was checking asim on the one night he had available but was directed to Phantasia by Eo Ut Mortus whom he found clean, but was unable to tell anyone at all with the speed lynch on the following day. Although, Suicune's revival did have the hilarious side effect of de-wolfing asim temporarily.

Standard martyr ability commonly found in many villages, he martyred Team Rocket's silencer, Mekkah, the first night, but forgot he was silenced! He posted, resulting in a godkill, and didn't even get to tell anyone before he died who he had targeted that night.

Agape was standard village watcher role with a twist, if he survived until later game, if any bad guys (or good I suppose) had targeted him, they would have found themselves hooked + silenced for a cycle. However, he decided to use his second ability, Singing, on Nights 2 and 3 instead of gathering information for the village, and nobody targeted him on those nights. He then died a few nights later without doing anything else, as he was mostly repeatedly hooked.

This role could pseudo-inspect as well as copy roles, but all Thunda did was find out that Team Aether's ability was 'Night X - Fishing' on Night 1, and then led a failed lynch against LonelyNess that got himself lynched instead.

Mayor and itemfinder role in one, with the 'corpse looting' item transfer system in this game, it was relatively easy for the mafia to suddenly 'stock up' on lots of items, and this was a role that was supposed to help identify possible mafia. Sidd gave Pyromanic's role PM apparently to Team Rocket, however, which resulted in a failed kill on Scrubs while Pyromanic was protecting Scrubs being turned into a successful kill on Pyromanic as the Rockets changed targets that night. After that, jumpluff voted with Scrubs, and then Jedil kindly agreed to sub in, being informed that he was about to die in one day to contribute his aid for one vote. Thanks Jedil!

A standard vanilla BPV role that's been quite uncommon lately in small mafias, so much so that every single person had Phantasia marked down as evil in their spreadsheet. Also started out with a one time BPV item that could have helped the village (or mafia!) but was stolen on Night 2 by ExplorerAce. Didn't really do anything that helped the village all game and just sat around, and was never targeted for a night kill either (except asim got martyred away from targeting Phantasia by Mr_Goodbar.)

The village thief that could also 'find Pokemon' if he whiffed, but managed to come up hands empty 5 nights in a row for the first 5 nights of the game. On Night 6, he stole all of Scrubs' items except for the Bracelet which Umbreon Dan got first, and then on Night 7 he was stolen from by Umbreon Dan's increased priority and then died to asim's time delayed kill.

The village 'backup' role, he would fish up a new item each night that would (ostensibly) help the village. All in all, he fished up a Leppa Berry (use night ability twice - this would have worked for Pyromanic too!), Sitrus Berry (eat to gain 2 extra votes,) Enigma Berry (auto protection from all night roles for one night if targeted,) and the Revive, which he chose to bring Suicune back to life with, a great choice, because Revive's effects only lasted 1 day/night cycle. He did attempt to give the Enigma Berry to Scrubs though, on the same night that Scrubs attempted to steal from him, so unknowingly, Scrubs screwed himself over a bit with that by using up the Enigma Berry. The Master Ball was stolen by the Neos on Night 1, and he was inspected by the Rockets/Neos by Night 2, but survived remarkably long because of his ambiguous role. Unfortunately, was speed lynched by Scrubs before getting on to defend himself.

Standard bodyguard role that could self-protect (all the bodyguards in this game could self-protect.) Never did anything with the Blue Orb since macle never claimed item identifier, which was an item thief role. Accent, on being subbed in, protected LightWolf instead of LonelyNess, and then the following night, died to Scrubs (while protecting him!), losing the Blue Orb and giving Scrubs the ability to steal from then on (the wolves automatically knew how to use items.)

Village hooker role that could only hook male humans, which the mafias were largely composed of. Also had a special item that could hook Celebi only, but the GS Ball didn't see any use until Night 9 of the game when asim hooked askaninjask with it. Hooked Thorns Night 1 and prevented his theft, and died Night 2 to asim's rand targeting.

Jack of all trades role used here, with mole-proof inspection, hooker, bodyguard, and vigilante being the available options. Tried to inspect LonelyNess both Night 1 and Night 2, (but changed to Jimbo on Night 1,) and ended up getting hooked Night 1 and not being able to inspect the already dead LonelyNess on Night 2, which would have made for an interesting village/LN team, discovering LN's true win conditions. Inspected and cleaned Sidd Night 3, which ended up in his death as Sidd obtained his role PM and promptly gave it to Team Rocket, resulting in his death while protecting Scrubs (from a kill, too!) on Night 4. A really unlucky player. :(

Unfortunately, Jimbo was subbed out on Night 1 because I 'accidentally told him too much info,' and macle came in to replace him. Was stoned on Night 1 by Scrubs, turning him into a BPV for two nights, but claimed both the roles of unsilenceable and BPV, leaving the mafia to ignore him instead of waste roles on him. Never claimed item identifier to my knowledge, leaving the village with a plethora of mystery items. Eventually got lynched by secret ballot on Day 3, and left the village without any real village leader ever again.

asim was basically village inspector that turned wolf if a specific user died. He could also steal the Master Ball only and attempt to turn himself into a wolf that could recruit Suicune, and he left a Poke Ball behind everywhere he attempted to steal a Master Ball. He had the ability to hide himself from all night roles instead of kill at night (stolen from Dark Link in Zelda Mafia,) but he couldn't hide more than 2 nights in a row or kill 2 nights in a row. It was actually kind of pointless to write a mole pm for asim as asim was the only full inspector in the entire game. If he had published Suicune's info early on, he would have gained a partial ability to protect Suicune from death, but was turned into wolf on Night 1 with Toothache's death. asim also lost moling abilities after turning wolf, but was never rolechecked. Did well convincing everyone that Eusine was a non-threatening role to have around, since his existence was basically revealed to everyone on Night 1 with Suicune's death. Every kill he made managed to be concealed by some other factor even up to the very last nights of the game, with a combination of luck and oversight by other players. (Mr_Goodbar martyred asim's kill onto himself, but the kill was blamed on Scrubs, who had failed his kill that night, for instance.) Everyone believed he was the village inspector up to the very end. Congratulations! He flew under everyone's radar, and successfully pulled off a wolf's win.

Team Rocket:

A borrowed concept from vow mafia, the future leader(s) of the mafia would keep the thief and kill choose options. GTS never self-protected despite claiming to be the world's biggest target, and died on N3 because of it. His bodyguards also had the interesting side effect of allowing him to claim the Stalker role, which he did, but also told LonelyNess he idled it, causing suspicion. He protected Mekkah Night 1 which was a good guess as HD tried to kill Mekkah, which failed anyways because HD was hooked by ExplorerAce.

Standard hooker fare, that also started with a rolename inspection item that would look like a regular Pokedex. After his death though, I just called it the Black Pokedex since there was no need to conceal it. Nailed Eo Ut Mortus as Pryce and a bad guy, which every villager seems to have forgotten confirmed Scrubs' inspection of Eo Ut Mortus. Was lynched when Scrubs made a deal with Eo's team to work together.

A twist on the standard reverse martyr that also came with role finding abilities. Vacuum never did anything except PM me once with a question, so soon after Bass came in. Found out that Phantasia had no night role under GTS's orders on Night 1, which I think was information never relayed to the two substitute members, Bass and askaninjask (correct me if I'm wrong?) Bass tried pretty hard for his team, but kept getting hooked by Eo's team while they were trying to hook askaninjask and never got anything besides 'you were hooked, you were hooked, you are dead' while he was alive. :( He could have stopped the hook or even kills by threatening the user that targeted him, but repeatedly attempted to threaten Sidd/jumpluff, a villager. Another candidate for 'unluckiest user' with Pyromanic.

A role that could silence OR persuade, but persuade wouldn't work on all characters. Mekkah chose to keep the persuade part hidden until late game, and tried to silence LonelyNess on Night 1 which was martyred away by Ace Matador. and Vacuum's idleness. Took over the team after GTS died, but then got lynched right away because Mekkah got inspected. Tough luck, man :(

A different kind of kidnap, the time jump actually set everything that happened later by one day/night cycle, including votes and deaths. He also had the extra kills for his team, so it was quite lucky that askaninjask survived quite late into the game. Needed the boss, Carr, dead to win, but it was balanced out by the fact that Carr was quite likely to die to natural causes anyhow. Many thanks to askaninjask for subbing in for Lightwolf who was unable to continue the game, and for staying active and not losing hope in winning. If only you had ever counted the kills and suspected asim, :(

Neo Team Rocket:

At one point, it looked like Neo Team Rocket had the game all sealed up with repeated hooking abilities, and 4 users alive to Team Rocket's 1. However, Eo never made use of his team's available Martyr + Bodyguard combination, keeping bodyguard on himself, when the hooker and night kill abilities would have transferred in the event of his death. Also chose to tell his teammates to Scrubs, resulting in a future lynch of Shade and 100% accurate coordinated killing between Scrubs and askaninjask later, wiping out Neo Team Rocket. You could have had this game :(. Eo's best moment was turning around a 9-0 lynch on him despite 2 inspections, and lynching the other mafia instead, which was amazing to see pulled off.

This was Mr_Goodbar's original role PM, a martyr with some game knowledge. An inventor was later added last minute because Earthworm felt that the Neos might have been slightly weak compared to the Rockets, but it ended up being unused. Came with the 'numbers knowledge' role that was a safe claim, but to my knowledge Mr_Goodbar stayed low all game and talked to nobody. Ended up martyring asim away from a failed kill on Phantasia onto himself, beginning Neo Team Rocket's downfall.

Mafia mayor to go along with a village mayor, could also creatively use announcements like Shade attempted to and have a secret voting contest to get rid of any problematic user that was heavily rigged in Neo's favor to win. COTH claimed DJ Mary early game to avoid suspicion, and broke a record by being the only user to not be targeted for the first 5 nights in a row. Shade later subbed in as COTH had internet problems

Optional negative voter and item-tied bodyguard abilities, as well as another itemfinder. Listened to his team and played his part, but unfortunately got stolen from by reachzero eventually and then killed by the Scrubs/askaninjask alliance. Only used his negative vote ability once, to help Shade, which ended up being part of the hatchet on Shade's grave when HD died.

Role finder and item thief in one, he stole successfully from Team Aether on Night 1 and Scrubs on Night 2 (when Scrubs didn't have a kill!) Unfortunately, was killed in crossfire by the other team and was the first casualty of his team, so he didn't get to do much, sorry :(

A neutral vigilante that could only win with village or wolf options, but came up bad on inspection to anyone but Pyromanic. His was a role that both helped and hurt village, but he never got to use it, being targeted by a ton of roles on both Night 1 and Night 2, getting killed by GTS on Night 2. Had the best chance of leading the village successfully and accurately pegged many false claims, except for Lightwolf's claim which he posted about, leading to his own death as Accent decided to protect the 'secondary village trusted person' instead, and COTH's claim.

The role this game's new corpse looting item system was designed for, so items don't go out of this game and he instant loses. A neutral that would annoy all the factions but could win with any of them. reachzero accurately pegged the location of the Magma Emblem on Mekkah, but kept getting martyred by Mr_Goodbar. reachzero lost track of the rules of the game though, and targeted a dead person to steal from on Night 4, while finally getting one of his items, Red Orb, from HD on Night 5. Umbreon Dan ended up replacing reachzero, claiming around, and finally managed to obtain all his items right before asim would have killed him otherwise. Good job! In case people were wondering, the Magma Emblem would have provided Brodie with immunity to all night roles except kills.

Ah, Scrubs. Before this game, I hadn't heard of you, and by the end of this game, I was duly impressed. Fooled people with a pm that had grammatical errors and started with two unrelated items (which he had to include to cover his ass) and led the village all the way to its doom for the longest time without coming under suspicion. Had a few close calls on being killed by other users, but lasted all the way until deciding to vote Umbreon Dan who could have won with him instead of the silenced askaninjask. Had the most complete info on the game except for accurate information on asim. Good job on moling the village and Eo's mafia into trusting you, that was amazing. Successfully misled the village into killing off Team Aether, Da Letter El by extension, and jumpluff/Jedil, all without coming under suspicion. Had a wolf that had item-dependent abilities, both of which were lost by the end of Night 2, but managed to make a successful recovery thanks to the corpse loot item system.

Host's awards:
    Best NPC: macle, for being the only real NPC to attempt leading the village. That's saying something.
    Worst NPC: Sidd, for selling out his own teammate to his demise. This caused much confusion and got me requests from all 4 factions to sub him out. Honorary mention goes to Ace Matador. for getting godkilled under silence and not telling people about martyring Mekkah.

Best Team Rocket: askaninjask, survived incredibly long and almost had the game... if not for asim.
    Worst Team Rocket: Vacuum, who gave the impression that he was active, but then disappeared into thin air.

Best Neo Team Rocket: Shade, the strategies he thought about using were well planned out and solid, and found a really creative usage for his announcement ability as well. Unfortunately, timezones prevented him from discussing much with Eo, and he was kind of left alone and then subsequently lynched.
    Worst Neo Team Rocket: Eo Ut Mortus, sorry man, but you really screwed up on choosing not to use the repeated hook on the same person, by far one of the most powerful mafia roles, on Scrubs or a suspected Rocket, but a villager instead.

Best Neutral: asim/Umbreon Dan/reachzero, congrats for winning! Inconspicuousness wins the day.
    Worst Neutral: LonelyNess, for playing in a way that gets him on everyone's enemy list and killed ASAP. Sorry man, there's not that many neutrals to choose from :(, you did have a pretty good spreadsheet but Scrubs one-upped you on that with more accuracy later on.

Thanks to everyone for playing!
  2. asim

asim

once again, this was a really fun game and i'm glad i was a part of it

just wondering what abilities i would've had for using the gs ball correctly a bit earlier in the game?
  3. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

Sad that I got hospitalised early and had to sub out.
    At least I got LN killed, who posted the fact that I was safe to claim to way before I even revealed my fake to him(Our channel had a long and good laugh there)
  4. Yoshi King

Yoshi King

This has definitely been one of my favourite mafia games, even though I got killed earlier on. Thanks for hosting, IPL!

Also :( I was hoping that the master ball would've been an alliance converter. Would've made giving it to an NPC very useful for their team.

Also I would like to give props to Eo: Even though he fucked up a little bit, he was an amazing mafia leader and kept all of our team up-to-date with any information he found out and advised us on what what we should be doing.
  5. Scrubs

Scrubs

Best post in the thread IMO.

Great game everyone, I had a lot of fun 'leading' the village into the ground. :)
    Looking back I play rather sloppy but somehow I managed to survive this long. I made a /huge/ mistake trying to lynch U_D which I will never make again. And sorry askaninjask, my kill didn't miss, I was waiting till the next night to betray you. :(

TA I really don't remember talking with you about who to revive. oh well. Congratulations winners, and thanks IPL for this great game. :)
  6. Accent

Accent

Good game, thanks ipl, sorry for not getting the time nor the occasion to lead the village to victory!

Congratulations neutrals :)
  7. Thorns

Thorns

I suspected Scrubs and asim immediately after robbing Scrubs blind, but by then it was too late =/
  8. Scrubs

Scrubs

I want my items back >:(
  9. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

GTS LW and I were going to have so much fun :( gg
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I wouldn't expect anything less.
  11. Scrubs

Scrubs

I cried when i had to lynch macle. :(
  12. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

wait what

Edit: there were like three wolves and two potential wolves or vigilantes in this game...

I feel like the village and mafias were kind of doomed at the start

Pretty good game otherwise, I really thought I had it in the final four.

(I'm angry)
  13. Agape

Agape

Nice game, lame to get hooked so much though :/
  14. E.A.

E.A.

That partially explains why I got lynched. It was even more effective because my role pm was exploited quite meticulously (I need to be more careful when I write role pms; I've been busted twice by those @___@)

I have to say that this was a good game. I was nervous that LN would live past night 2 and then copy my role, thus potentially exposing me. Apart from me dying, I enjoyed my role, my team, and the general flow of the game.
  15. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

for when i was part of the game, it was pretty fun. unfortunately my attempt to lynch scrubs was overturned by aska following with him blindly.

still liked my game show idea x)
  16. Da Letter El

Da Letter El Officially internet famous
    is a Forum Moderator

askaninjask, if you killed Asim, you had a chance if UD and thorns lynched scrubs (which was probably going to happen in my opinion). Still, it was a very fun game to watch, and although I dont think I honestly had that big of an impact, Scrubs did a very good job at damage control when I got revived, not letting me make any major impact whatsoever by witholding a lot of information and lynching me before I could call you on it (although if I did call you on being wolf Neo probably would have won).

Also, very good job to Asim for ultimately winning!
  17. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

fyi daletterel, i already knew scrubs was wolf
  18. Da Letter El

Da Letter El Officially internet famous
    is a Forum Moderator

It seemed pretty clear you did (as did all the mafias). I don't see what that has to do with my post ?_?. I was saying that I was thinking about posting that I checked Scrubs and that he was not allied with village, and list who the village could trust (who I would say was phantasia, Team Aether, and Sidd/jumpluff/jedil), dying from silence as I did. This probably would have had enough sway to convince the villagers, who had a slight majority at the time, to probably lynch Scrubs.

I was saying Neo probably would have won if I had lynched Scrubs that one day though, since you had the major numbers advantage and one less wolf to stop you.
  19. shade

shade sweet like sugar
    is a Forum Moderator

oh, i thought you said that if neo would've known scrubs was wolf, they'd have won. never mind then!
  20. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

I had absolutely no idea asim was a wolf until the postgame :/

In retrospect, the best move would have been to kill scrubs and get UD to vote with me against asim, since i had the magma emblem.

but whatever i didn't so i lost.

But how can I possibly win when there are 2 wolves in the final four? I have lower priority than both of them, and scrubs would certainly have rather worked with the other wolf than with me :(
  21. Scrubs

Scrubs

If I knew he was wolf I would of worked with you. Tho I have higher priority than both of you. And yea, asim did an amazing job keeping hidden.
  22. Pyromanic

Pyromanic

I should have done a better job at publicizing that log. Scrubs would have been lynched much sooner as it was revealed that he tampered with the log. Meaning scrubs would have been lynched much sooner. Also TA, don't lie about your role then PM me a conversation mentioning an item you did not claim to have.
  23. Eo Ut Mortus

Eo Ut Mortus Elodin Smells
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I did not choose to reveal the names of my team to Scrubs at all, and I was rather adamant about not doing so. Sorry to point fingers, but it was Mr_Goodbar who was really responsible...he and Scrubs apparently had made a deal beforehand to swap roles, which was a rather dubious move. I'm not sure if all of our names were given in the transaction, but I do know that he eventually let slip COTH / Shade and HD to Scrubs.

The reason I didn't hook askaninjask and Scrubs N6 was because I was pretty concerned with the other wolf (whom I thought was Phantasia at that point) since he had killed off the other two members of our faction by that point. Also, the threat of two possible incriminating inspections seemed as equally effective as two kills. I think my decision, while perhaps flawed, was justified.

But anyway, I enjoyed this game, congratulations to the winners and thanks to IPL for hosting.
  24. HD

HD

It was an awesome game. Good job ipl.

I let slip to Scrubs that my item (the Red Orb) was stolen. I had no idea there was another theif, so I was positive that Thorns had it after I checked Scrubs. I also would've told Eo to send me to kill Scrubs the night we could kill, but dieing got in the way of that =/. I seriously thought we had it won, but then Mr_Goodbar died, which sucked. Then me and Eo died, and theres the downfall f Neo.

Also, Mr_Goodbar wasn't completely useless. He invented HM 01 around Night 2/3 and gave it to me. For you non Neos this item lets my night actions carry on even though my target gets BGed or some other shit. HM 01 is also 'too heavy' to steal :P.

Ithink the downfall of Neo started before Mr_Goodbar died. As the game was reaching it's end, we didn't communicate aswell as say Days/Nights 1-4/5. Then shade (who did an awesome job) subbed in for Coth, and shade had a completely different time zone than Eo; who was our 'leader'. I was basically used as a bridge between them since people in EST time zones are cool like that. Also, Goodbar was out of touch with the rest of us for a lot. His limited IRC connection was annoying, infact, we only communicated with Goodbar through PM.

Anyways. great game, and nice job hosting ipl.
  25. tape-type

tape-type

This was a really fun game to partake in.

Although I got lynched for a shady role PM, all's right.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)