Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread.

Do you think there will be a sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 487 96.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Well, as RB Golbat said, it's already confirmed that you must be able to trade from D/P to Platinum. What I said(Just speculation) is that maybe the two are only compatable over Wi-Fi, and not if you were to do a local battle/trade.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the auto-level option missing from local wifi in Diamond/Pearl? If anything, I bet that they'll be using that for official tournaments from hereon out, which would exclude DP. There's no reason to assume Platinum isn't fully compatible with all existing multiplayer options in DP.

Unless they plan to extend the event somehow (Giving North America access to it, as seems to be even more practical than the recent TRU/Gamestop events). Still, I really can't imagine Nintendo doing something that shortsighted for what little advantages it would give Platinum (Pretty sure now that they aren't adding pokemon, or if they even are, they are very few in number and not important enough to merit coverage, and new pokemon would be the only good thing they could isolate it over).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the auto-level option missing from local wifi in Diamond/Pearl? If anything, I bet that they'll be using that for official tournaments from hereon out, which would exclude DP. There's no reason to assume Platinum isn't fully compatible with all existing multiplayer options in DP.
Yes it is. As for the computability I don't see why not even for local.

Just to clarify, all the compatibility issues have been speculation up to this point, correct? Somebody in the troll thread mentioned that it was confirmed but I've yet to see a link (granted, I haven't been following the Platinum news very carefully).

And a mod could always edit the first post instead of starting a brand new thread. It would be greatly appreciated by those of us who haven't been following this thread from day one and aren't willing to peruse through 1500+ posts to find the nuggets of info.
Hi, you'd be talking about me.

Source is the official Japanese website for WORLD Championships 2009
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/wcs0809

There is no indication that Diamond or Pearl will be allowed.
  • ・日本語版「ポケットモンスター プラチナ」のDSカードでのみ参加できます。
  • ・「ポケットモンスター ルビー・サファイア・ファイアレッド・リーフグリーン・エメラルド・ダイヤモンド・パール」では参加することができません。
  • ・出場選手の生年月日により、カテゴリーが決定します。
    ※生年月日に入力間違いがないか、必ずご確認ください。
"You may only participate with a copy of Platinum"
"It is not possible to participate with Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond or Pearl."
"Category is decided by date of birth."
"Please verify that you are the age you claim to be."

Hi, you'd be talking about me.

Source is the official Japanese website for WORLD Championships 2009
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/wcs0809

There is no indication that Diamond or Pearl will be allowed.
  • ・日本語版「ポケットモンスター プラチナ」のDSカードでのみ参加できます。
  • ・「ポケットモンスター ルビー・サファイア・ファイアレッド・リーフグリーン・エメラルド・ダイヤモンド・パール」では参加することができません。
  • ・出場選手の生年月日により、カテゴリーが決定します。
    ※生年月日に入力間違いがないか、必ずご確認ください。
"You may only participate with a copy of Platinum"
"It is not possible to participate with Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond or Pearl."
"Category is decided by date of birth."
"Please verify that you are the age you claim to be."
I got this
* Japanese version of "Pokemon platinum" cards only participate in the DS.
* "Pokemon Fire Red Leaf Green Sapphire Ruby Pearl Emerald Diamond" will not participate in it.
* Date of Birth players of the group decision.
※ date of birth to enter any mistakes, be sure to please.

But I used a translater that I found. Not by translating myself lol.

EDIT: The last line has its words in spots of the sentence it shouldn't. But it does the same thing to spanish to english. I think it means "Please be sure to not enter any mistakes when entering date of birth"

Thank you for translating that. And with an online translator! Good thing we have you around.[/sarcasm]

I paraphrase. Big deal.

Joking aside, hopefully this puts to rest an doubt on the issue of Platinum totally replacing Diamond & Pearl in Nintendo's eyes.

The slightly better than bad news is that we only have to wait a short while longer to find out why.

I figured It was platinum only because nitendo wanted to promote their new pokemon game and possibly make the silloueted pokemon availible,
why would they make platinum incompatable with diamon/ pearl?
Also there is the whole Movie Regigiggas unlocking the other regis so yeah...

Thank you for translating that. And with an online translator! Good thing we have you around.[/sarcasm]

I paraphrase. Big deal.

Joking aside, hopefully this puts to rest an doubt on the issue of Platinum totally replacing Diamond & Pearl in Nintendo's eyes.

The slightly better than bad news is that we only have to wait a short while longer to find out why.
I wasn't insulting you or trying to be mean by correcting you . :/ I just like to people to have their fact straight. Just like why flareon will most likely never get crunch/flare blitz, or why gyrados is a flying type, and uncommonly known stuff. XD

Nintendo wouldn't purposely lose D/P sales after only 2 years( In jap. pearl came out in 2006, and now 2008 incase some of you new members don't know). Look at emerald, they want to hit big even years after its been released.

I'm sure this is the only platinum only game. 2 reasons why.

1. To promote its new game and get the word around
2. Making the tournaments afterwards platinum only would ruin their own sales.

EDIT: One person said that d/p wouldn't be compatible with platinum, and then almost all the posts afterwards are correcting him. If someone answers something, re-answering the same exact answer is a waste of time and IMO annoying. But if you change or correct an answer or add to an answer I understand, but If it is the same answer then just keep it to yourself, I'm sure they'd figure it out on the first post that replies.

That was a painful post to go through. Look, the facts are as such:

WORLD 2009 is going to be the biggest international Pokemon tournament, no contest. It is funded and promoted by Nintendo and it's affiliates to help keep interest in Pokemon high. You WILL only be allowed to use Platinum in this competition.

You WILL be able to trade between Platinum and D/P at the VERY least. By extension, one would assume WiFi battles will be compatible between versions, however there is no 100% confirmation of this. Platinum is adding in many, many new WiFi features; among them may be further modes of battle.

Platinum is adding in, essentially, 7 "new" Pokemon. One would assume rightly that this will introduce a level of complication when Platinum players desire to interact with D/P players, though the extent of which is unknown.

In addition (and moving away from facts and more into the category of logical induction), why would Nintendo specify that WORLD 2009 will be Platinum-only and then decide that subsequent events will be open to D/P as well? Obviously, it makes little sense to disallow a game one year and then allow it the next. Logically, Platinum will be the spiritual successor to D/P and will replace it at all official events.

As for the reasoning behind this? Well, like I said, we don't know for sure. However, to hazard a guess, I'd say it has something to do with compatibility issues with the new Rotom forms and such. In addition, Platinum is going to be updating the movesets of MANY Pokemon, which would be unfair to players of D/P if they did not have access to these new moves. And finally, it is not out of the question for Game Freak to adjust glitches or battle mechanics for this version that would see an unfair mixture of "rule sets" between versions in a cross-version tournament, i.e. two Diamond players fight one another, and player 1 moves ahead due to game mechanic "A." Later, player 1 loses to Platinum player 3 in the next match due to game mechanic "A" not working in the same manner.

I don't see why sarcasm and condescension are necessary. This is a speculation thread, it's not like we're looking for Charlie and bad intel gets our heads cut off. There are a lot of reasons to, at least, suppose that Diamond and Pearl won't be completely obselete when Platinum is available.

Speculation is welcome, indeed. I never said that people won't be able to trade with and enjoy their copies of D/P once Platinum is out. Obviously, not everyone who owns D/P will buy Platinum, and not everyone cares about official Nintendo events and competitions!

However, from Nintendo's standpoint, D/P is to Platinum as Microsoft's XP is to Vista: the newer version will be pushed in sales and will be supported while the older version will cease being officially supported. Likewise, you can still enjoy your copy of Windows XP (I do), but in the long run Vista will be the version of Windows that Microsoft cares about and updates.

No need to get huffy.

Just don't be surprised if Nintendo forces you to buy Platinum in order to get a legal Arceus or to interact with the next Wii Pokemon project, whatever that may be, as well.

I've wondered about things like Platinum-exclusive Arceus, but also the events that are built in to grant event pokemon in D/P, that have not yet been utilized. Is there some way interaction with Platinum can give load the items, maybe after a certain point, or is it just dead weight?

If you have not heard yet, recently, it has been revealed that Platinum's Regional Dex will contain 210 monsters, enough to squeeze in all the new evolutions not in D/P, and their evolutionary families. I decide to go guessing what Pokémon gym leaders and Elite Four members would have in Platinum. Basically, it's listed as the person's options, and what I predict they will have. I didn't predict for anyone else, because it's easier to predict when you only have to consider one type. Please give me feedback and sugestions to improve, and I might have predictions for other people (e.g. Cynthia, Rival) up later. Enjoy.

Code:
Roark
Options:	Geodude, Onix, Cranidos, Shieldon, Nosepass, Bonsly, Rhyhorn

Prediction:	Geodude/Onix/Rhyhorn, Geodude/Onix/Rhyhorn, Cranidos

Gardenia
Options:	Cherubi, Turtwig/Grotle, Roserade, Carnivine, Snover, Leafeon,Tangela

Prediction:	Cherubi, Leafeon, Roserade

Maylene
Options:	Machoke, Meditite, Lucario, Heracross, Monferno, Croagunk, Gallade

Prediction:	Croagunk, Machoke, Gallade, Lucario

Wake:
Options:	Quagsire, Gyarados, Floatzel, Psyduck/Golduck, Vaporeon, Azumarill, Octillery, Milotic, Prinplup/Empoleon, Shellos/Gastrodon, Finneon/Lumineon, Tentacruel, Pelipper, Mantine, Bibarel, Barbroach/Whiscash

Prediction:	Gyarados, Tentacruel, Octillery, Floatzel

Fantina
Options:	Drifblim, Gengar, Mismagius, Dusclops/Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Froslass, Rotom

Prediction:	Drifblim, Gengar, Dusknoir, Mismagius

Byron
Options:	Steelix, Bronzor/Bronzong, Magenton/Magnezone, Empoleon, Bastiodon, Lucario, Probopass

Prediction:	Magnezone, Steelix, Probopass, Bastiodon, Empoleon

Candace
Options:	Glalie, Glaceon, Piloswine/Mamoswine, Froslass, Sneasel/Weavile, Abomasnow

Prediction:	Glalie, Glaceon, Froslass, Mamoswine, Abomasnow

Volkner
Options:	Raichu, Jolteon, Luxray, Pachirisu, Electivire, Magnezone, Rotom

Prediction:	Pachirisu, Raichu, Jolteon, Electivire, Luxray

Aaron
Options:	Kricketune, Heracross, Beautifly, Dustox, Mothim, Wormadam, Vespiquen, Yanmega, Drapion

Prediction:	Kricketune, Heracross, Vespiquen, Yanmega, Drapion

Bertha
Options:	Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Gliscor, Golem, Steelix, Quagsire, Mamoswine, Whiscash, Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp

Prediction:	Gliscor, Whiscash, Rhyperior, Hippowdon, Torterra

Flint
Options:	Infernape, Magmortar, Flareon, Rapidash

Prediction:	Rapidash, Flareon, Magmortar, Infernape, unknown Pokémon

Lucian
Options:	Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Espeon, Unown, Gardevoir, Chimecho, Gallade, Girafarig, Medicham, Bronzong

Prediction:	Girafarig, Espeon, Gardevoir, Alakazam, Bronzong
If you have a suggestion, just tell me and I'll change it based on what you say.

I don't think volkner is getting pachirisu. Also I'm sure some people will only get minor changes, flint will most likely keep 2/3 of Drifblim/Lopunny/Steelix

Or something similar to E4 could happen where at first they have Platinum exclusives (out of the 210 pokemon), and then after they beat the E4 once and get N-dex their teams change. I.E first time around flint has Magmortar/Drif/Lop/Infer/Rapid and then after the E4 Mag/Drif/Steel/Infer/Rap/ Camerupt Magcargo or some crazy combos. Or possibly after N-dex 6 pokemon instead of 5.

Might as well consider every Pokemon with a move of the type of the gym leader, considering D/P's gyms. Like Volkner having Ambipom and Octillery >_>

Might as well consider every Pokemon with a move of the type of the gym leader, considering D/P's gyms. Like Volkner having Ambipom and Octillery >_>
As far as I can remember only volkner and flint followed that. Now that I think of it magmar + electibuzz EVO's this gen corresponding with their specialty, flint trying to cheer up volkner, and both of them using pokemon of different types too. These two might be love birds >.>

I forgot about medicham. But it was only 1 pokemon, not drastic like flint/volkner where only 2/5 of their pokemon corresponded with their type. Bertha was more of a rock/ground than just plain ground, but it is debateable. And I wouldn't be able to see an E4 with everyone of them having solid type because of how much easier it would be. Lucian only got away with it because Girafarig could block ghost attacks, and Bronzong can slightly take dark attacks.

I was just saying that the gym leaders' pool of possible Pokemon is much larger than the ones listed, considering past gym leader teams.

ANinyMouse said:
As for the reasoning behind this? Well, like I said, we don't know for sure. However, to hazard a guess, I'd say it has something to do with compatibility issues with the new Rotom forms and such.
Actually, it seems more likely that the five silhouettes will be banned from the tournament. The tournament page notes that the list of eligible Pokémon will only be published after Platinum is released. However, it is obvious that they are not going to release a list of 470+ eligible Pokémon - it will be a list of ineligible Pokémon. The fact that the list will only be released on the same day as Platinum, implies that the five silhouettes will represent event Pokémon that are also banned from official tournaments (and presumably the Battle Frontier, just like any other event Pokémon). This is hardly a leap in thought considering that we know for a fact that their availability will be limited to events.

I believe that the reason for Diamond and Pearl's ineligibility in the tournament concerns the cup restrictions. The page makes mention of rules that are not part of Diamond and Pearl's ruleset, of which the most prominent one concerns the legality of moves. Since Diamond and Pearl's built-in ruleset was not that sophisticated, the 2007 Japanese tournament and this year's American tournament required that the Pokémon Company staff scrutinize the competitors' cartridges by use of a machine.

The above apparently created a lot of problems. Some competitors were only disqualified well into the tournament because of the lesser scrutiny that was applied at the beginning of the tournament. Some of the disqualified competitors claimed that their teams had met all the requirements, and that they had only been disqualified because the machine had detected "anomalies" in their boxed Pokémon (which were supposed to be irrelevant to the judgment according to the rules). In light of this, I can see why the Pokémon Company would encourage Game Freak to expand the built-in ruleset for Platinum; it would save a lot of work and waiting time in the tournament, as well as make it fairer for the competitors.

Under that assumption, Wi-Fi and unrestricted local battles will be unaffected. However, this is where the seven new Pokémon (Origin Forme, Sky Forme and the silhouettes) come into the picture, and their presence complicates matters. As you may know, Platinum will be incompatible with My Pokémon Ranch, though the GBA versions and Battle Revolution will be compatible. This tidibit sheds light on the bigger picture. Origin Forme and Sky Forme will have separate data from their old counterparts, which is to say that Platinum will have at least two more index numbers in addition to the list found in Diamond, Pearl, PBR and Ranch. That additional number should reach 7, regardless of what the five silhouettes turn out to be.

What makes Ranch different from PBR? The answer seems relatively straightforward: The difference is that the former reads as well as writes into the save file, whereas the latter only reads it (with the exception of Mystery Gift downloads, which are a different case). Now, I suspect that both games are programmed to treat foreign data as Bad Eggs; Ranch, in particular, has been known to identify perfectly legal Pokémon as Bad Eggs due to communication interferences (illegal Pokémon normally pose no such problem, incidentally). When that happens, the Bad Egg cannot be traded back to the game of its origin, literally being trapped in Ranch.

Were Platinum compatible with Ranch, it would lead to a loophole in which Origin Forme, Sky Forme and the five silhouettes could not be returned to Platinum. It might seem silly for compatibility to be removed on account of seven Pokémon, but considering that six are event Pokémon and the other is a mascot legendary, I find that it is a sensible choice. There might be plans to update the WiiWare title at some point, as well.

As for PBR, this should mean that players will have to manually transform Origin Forme and Sky Forme to their familiar selves if they wish to use them in the Wii game. However, failing to do so will not affect the save file data in Platinum, nor will it cause corruption in PBR. Similarly, it is not at all guaranteed that the new alternate forms will be usable in battle against Diamond and Pearl players. While it is possible for Platinum to manipulate the forms' data so that they are used in battle as their old forms while retaining their new stats, abilities, types and sprites (from the Platinum player's perspective), I do not see why Game Freak would go through that hassle when it would only serve to put the Diamond/Pearl players at a distinct disadvantage. At least back in Generation III, each of the five GBA versions had its exclusive Deoxys form (with Ruby and Sapphire sharing the same one), and the use of Link Cable (or alternatively, straightforward logic) allowed players opposing Deoxys to deduce its true form in virtually every case.

It seems much fairer for Sky Forme and Origin Forme not only to appear as their counterparts to Diamond/Pearl players, but to actually be used as such. Consequently, they will essentially be banned from participating in battles against Diamond/Pearl players, even though no special message will likely indicate that. If that is really the case, there will be no benefit in having the five silhouettes be alternate forms instead of brand new Pokémon. Either way, compatibility limitations will be imposed, and judging from Nintendo and The Pokémon Company's moves so far, they will not be construed as an issue.

ap13095 said:
If you have not heard yet, recently, it has been revealed that Platinum's Regional Dex will contain 210 monsters,
That is actually unconfirmed; the rumor originates from a merchandise advertisement that does not necessarily reflect on Platinum. This may seem odd coming from someone who thinks that there could actually be new Pokémon in the game, but I would rather that Game Freak capitalize on the post-Elite Four segment of the game (such as Gym Leader rematches) instead of cramming in new evolutions to the Sinnoh Pokédex. I also can't see why Pokémon like Electivire and Magmortar would be shown in the trailers exclusively in Wi-Fi and Battle Frontier battles if they were also integrated into a new Pokédex.

Well, if you go by the 210 Pokémon rumor, you don't need to consider that because there will be enough Pokémon of their type for all the Gym Leaders + Elite Four, not counting Flint, who would only have 4 Fire-types. That's okay because Sinnoh is cold, so it would make sense. Other tan that, everyone would be okay if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)