1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokemon Showdown app for Android and iOS?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by ske7ch6336, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ske7ch6336

ske7ch6336

I'm just wondering if there will be an app built for Pokemon Showdown? I just can't get my phone browser to work with it, it just sits there and never fully loads. As a second question, is there any solution to my problem above?

Posted from Smogon.com App for Android
  2. verbatim

verbatim This will be the day
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Running Firefox/Chrome on your phone should work (I forget which one)
  3. ske7ch6336

ske7ch6336

I have an Android, does it come with Chrome or how do I download it?

Posted from Smogon.com App for Android
  4. mikel

mikel @ air baloon
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Google Chrome is the stock browser as of Android 4.1 (aka. Jelly Bean). Prior to that, you can download it for free from Google given you have 4.0 (aka. Ice Cream Sandwich). If you're on Gingerbread (2.3), you can use Firefox Beta, but I don't know how well this works.
  5. Fexlom

Fexlom

Could you make it compatible with Opera or the Symbian browser?
  6. BlankZero

BlankZero

What is a quick way to check your Android version? I used to know, but my phone is a couple years old now, and the stock browser won't play ps :/
  7. mikel

mikel @ air baloon
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Go into the settings menu, and under "About my phone" or something, it'll have a Version Number bit. Just post the version number here and I'll get back to you. Google Chrome is only for 4.0 and up; Firefox Beta should work for 2.3 and up.
  8. BlankZero

BlankZero

Thanks Mikel. Looks like I'm running 2.3.5. Considering it's up to over 4.0, I may need to look at an upgrade in the near future, since I'm passed 2 years :P

I'm pretty sure I tried the FF Beta on this phone at some point, but it was very awkward and wonky and didn't fit very well. It also drained battery like crazy.
  9. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Firefox is no longer in beta on Android and now runs extremely well
  10. Zigzagar

Zigzagar

It works on safari on my iPad
  11. ambersey02

ambersey02

Where can I get that app?
  12. mikel

mikel @ air baloon

Which app did you mean? Firefox for Android and Google Chrome are available from the Google Play Store (or Market for Gingerbread and below).

Safari on an iPad comes stock with the device.

From experience on my Galaxy S3, the stock browser even runs PS perfectly.
  13. Cabol

Cabol

If you have FireFox for the Android (not sure on the OS version you need), you can actually download an app for Pokemon Showdown that's linked to Firefox. Figured I'd pass on that info for everyone.
  14. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

That's no longer available. To be exact, it was rejected from Firefox Marketplace for being not-mobile-optimized enough. :/

One of these days, I'll make a "real" mobile app...
  15. jbdscorner

jbdscorner

Zarel, I'd like to know how to make an android/ios pokemon showdown app. How did you make Pokemon Showdown? I'm really interested in learning how you made it. I'm currently making my thesis and I'm trying to recreate a java based pokemon battle simulator. I've considered making it for mobile devices, specifically tablets, but I haven't had a chance to try making android apps yet.
  16. V4Victini

V4Victini Free Ohmagod
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown
  17. Gueron

Gueron

If i got you right, it would be better to use Firefox than chrome?
  18. Madotsuki

Madotsuki

Hate to necrobump, but that's been done for me.

PS's android interface is slow and shit for me, and I'm on a galaxy sIII so it shouldn't be this bad. Is it just me?

Also, lobby chat would be nice...
  19. Seth Vilo

Seth Vilo

Coming here to second this. I try on all of an iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4th gen (Safari and Chrome on those were tested), and a Google Nexus 7. The Nexus does it best, but all are too slow, laggy, and unresponsive to actually use.
  20. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

As mentioned, PS isn't designed to run well on phones and tablets. I'll optimize it when I have the time, but I'm sorry, it's mainly made for computers. :/
  21. dsonkillian

dsonkillian

I hope they would release a version for ipads.
  22. andy0000

andy0000

So is within the year of 2013 a probable time to optimize it for mobile? I just can't wait to be able to play PS on my iPhone
  23. Speedobear

Speedobear

Use Puffin Web Browser, it works great for ranbats for me :D It has a mouse pointer so you can see movesets and stuff too!
  24. Scorpiopt

Scorpiopt

puffin browser is pay to use , you have a few days of flash and then you have to pay
  25. DatCarl

DatCarl

Will this work on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9? The idea of getting a web browser and playing pokemon showdown?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)