Pokemon Showdown (original announcement)

Most of these things, PO is trying to implement, but what got me was iOS support. YEEEEESH

edit: also, viderizer from PO wants me to ask if this is open- or closed- source?

That was badly worded. I meant, is this program "fully operational" or is it still in the works?

Sorry for dumb questions...

• Easy moddability: PS's mod format makes it easy to implement your own moves, abilities, items, and pokemon. CAP and streetmons are already implemented.
Interesting. So these mods will be on an individual server basis, like NetBattle's? PO required you to edit your database or something to mod things, which was a step down from NB's server mods and made it harder for new players to get into a modded metagame.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
That was badly worded. I meant, is this program "fully operational" or is it still in the works?

Sorry for dumb questions...
It's unclear to me what this is asking.

It "works" in the sense that you can use it to play games of Pokemon. It's somewhat buggy right now, but the only features it's missing are moderation and spam-control features (which is also the reason why it's currently private beta and not public beta).

It's still "in the works" in the sense that it's far from done and far, far from having all the features I'm planning.

Interesting. So these mods will be on an individual server basis, like NetBattle's? PO required you to edit your database or something to mod things, which was a step down from NB's server mods and made it harder for new players to get into a modded metagame.
Mods will be per-server; much better than PO.

Also, I'll probably include streetmons and CAP into the regular server directly (though of course they'll be banned in regular OU play).

Mods will be per-server; much better than PO.

Also, I'll probably include streetmons and CAP into the regular server directly (though of course they'll be banned in regular OU play).
Excellent. You have my support. The group that I play with has recently started working on a full 5th gen mod that we were planning on using on PO. I posted this there as soon as I read it, and we're pretty excited because it lets us do some of the ideas that we had talked about but which turned out to be impossible on PO.

Btw, I don't come around here too much; can someone explain what "streetmons" are? >_>

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Btw, I don't come around here too much; can someone explain what "streetmons" are? >_>
BW with no bans or clauses, and you're allowed to use any pokemon you can get in-game, including by the Mimic Glitch. So for instance, a common set is Ursaring @ Toxic Orb with Fake Out / ExtremeSpeed / V-create / Shadow Sneak.

Any idea when it's going to be open beta?
I don't want to rush you or something, I'd just like to know when ;D
I said "this week" earlier, but I'm not so sure right now.

I'll do a server load-test sometime this weekend, I think, and when open beta will be will depend on how that load test goes.

I think it'd be better if even the details of the illegal moves were shown... Just a nitpick, and just my opinion.

What interests me the most is the Android part of it. Is there a way to send teams from your computer to a phone or something? Because I really don't wanna use my touchscreen to build a team.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I think it'd be better if even the details of the illegal moves were shown... Just a nitpick, and just my opinion.
It definitely wasn't an easy decision to make. In the end, though, there are movedexes elsewhere, and I think it's important to be able to tell at a glance which moves are illegal.

What interests me the most is the Android part of it. Is there a way to send teams from your computer to a phone or something? Because I really don't wanna use my touchscreen to build a team.
You'll create a team anywhere you want, and then when you log in using Android, your teams will just be there.

I have a few ideas

1. To be able to hook up the chat to IRC

2. To be able to convert your battles to your replay maker.

Regarding the illegal moves:
In Pokemon Lab, the moveset will turn red when a combination is illegal and if you were to hover your cursor over the moveset, it'd say which moves are illegal together

e.g. 'Illegal combinations: Dragon Dance + Wish'

If something similar could be implemented I'd be glad, so I knew how to alter the moveset appropriately.

Also could this teambuilder include some kind of EV calculator...? What are your thoughts on this?
X-Act's optimum defence EV applet springs to mind, could that be somewhat implemented into the team builder?
Could it calculate what stat point was needed to guarantee an OHKO with various conditions (eg. Stealth Rock, Spikes etc)? For instance, I want to make sure my Dragonite will OHKO Blissey with Superpower after Stealth Rock, can it calculate the necessary stat I need to reach?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
It might be too hard but a damage calculator similar to DJD's last gen popping up with a button on the corner of the screen or something would be uber helpful.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
posting to confirm that the private beta is super-impressive; even more impressive (and exciting) is the very short time in which it's been developed

Wow, this looks awesome! Thank you so much for doing this!

A few quick questions about potential features:
1) Can the animations be turned off?
2) Does it collect usage statistics automatically?
3) What is the ladder rating system?

Also, previous generation and double/triple/rotation implementation would be a huge plus (as that is one of PO's big selling points over shoddy/pokemon lab IMO)

As an aside: Please don't knock PO people; it's a fine program. If you complain about things, then no one will want to contribute anymore...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)