Pokemon Showdown (original announcement)

Will this be available on the iPhone as an app? (not sure how else it would be...) and will it be available as soon as the beta becomes public?

This is another nail in the coffin for the poor wifi battlers, now simulator battling has animations and is portable.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I'm wondering... which C-based language are using to make this?

Considering it's going to be cross-plataform, even with mobile platforms, I give my bet you're using Java
JavaScript, actually.

I'm really excited for this :D Will this mean less down time for the Smogon server at all? Because the PO Smogon server crashes alot..
Stability is something that comes with time. I can't guarantee it on PS at all. :/

aesoft, will PS have Multi-Battle(4 players, 2vs2 each one with 3 pokes) like on DS ? thats would be awesome
Eventually.

Will this be available on the iPhone as an app? (not sure how else it would be...) and will it be available as soon as the beta becomes public?
I'll tip my hand... it's a web app.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with PO's RNG.

RNGs always "feel" unfair because of mental effects: you remember the 15% of the time Fire Blast misses, not the 85% of the times it hits.

Switching to another RNG doesn't change how random numbers work, so I don't think you'll notice a difference. :/

RBG makes a good point, as well: PO might not be as good as PS (and I say this in a I-made-PS-so-I-might-be-biased way), but aside from a few quirks, it's really nice for what it is.

Past gens are fairly simple to implement, although PS doesn't allow switching between gens yet, I should be able to implement them without much difficulty. Doubles is more in-depth: They will eventually happen, but not before the beta, and not before I redo the protocol first.
A small list of things he'll have to do for gen switching, on top of the increased diversity of hold items, species, abilities and moves for each successive generation (I'm aware I'm probably missing quite a few, so please don't correct me):

-Do away with the damage split for RSE
-Restrict Arceus to 100 EVs per stat in DPP
-Take away the boom modifier for BW damage calculation
-Restrict Rotom's forms to all have Ghost/Electric typing in DPP
-Disable Team Preview for RSE/DPP

Suggestion: If you could make the team builder such that you had to first select a tier and then it would restrict your choices to the mons that are legal in that tier, that would be so fucking awesome. There's nothing worse than building that perfect team, then finding out that you have an illegal DW ability or that your favorite suspect finally got the boot.

Will it be possible for play against a computer generated foe? Something like the in-game Battle Park trainers, as it will be nice to test your team out first and still be able to play offline

Will it be possible for play against a computer generated foe? Something like the in-game Battle Park trainers, as it will be nice to test your team out first and still be able to play offline
An AI would be really hard to create. On PO they've been working on making a battling AI and it has been taking a long time. There are a ton of things in pokemon the bot has to learn. 9.9

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
To be exact, on PO they've been working on porting Technical Machine to PO.

PS won't have an established AI for a while. Depends on how long davidstone takes to port Technical Machine. I might implement a simpler AI just for messing around, though.

Yeah Davidstone was using the earlier forms of Tech Machine on PL and I have to say it was looking pretty snazzy. Some of the people even got outpredicted by it, lol.

I'm perfectly fine if the AI isn't operational when PS becomes public. Although there's gonna be a lot of traffic the first two days as people realize the pure awesomenees that this server has.

Quick question: Is this web-based?

Since it's not mentioned in the OP and the whole "truly crossplatform" thing, as well as the beta teambuilder being online, all seem to point to it being a web-based sim. Which seems pretty cool.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question: Is this web-based?

Since it's not mentioned in the OP and the whole "truly crossplatform" thing, as well as the beta teambuilder being online, all seem to point to it being a web-based sim. Which seems pretty cool.
Yes.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I know this is going to sound stupid but I can't stand playing people who clearly were trying to make an OU team but isn't up to date with the bans and has things like Thundurus on their team.

Maybe this isn't going to prevent much but maybe you can implimant a warning to those on a certain tier when they only have one Pokemon preventing it from going to the tier below it? Like if my team is Tyranitar, Landorus, Celebi, Rotom-W, Skarmory, Excadrill and when I click on the find battle tab give a pop-out stating something like "Your current team is an uber team due to Excadrill, do you still want to continue?"

Sorry for my bad English

I know this is going to sound stupid but I can't stand playing people who clearly were trying to make an OU team but isn't up to date with the bans and has things like Thundurus on their team.

Maybe this isn't going to prevent much but maybe you can implimant a warning to those on a certain tier when they only have one Pokemon preventing it from going to the tier below it? Like if my team is Tyranitar, Landorus, Celebi, Rotom-W, Skarmory, Excadrill and when I click on the find battle tab give a pop-out stating something like "Your current team is an uber team due to Excadrill, do you still want to continue?"

Sorry for my bad English
Wouldn't it be easier if the Team Builder would just not let you continue when there's a conflict regarding tier compatibility like we previously had?

one of the reasons people didn't try to make a sim with animations in the first place is partially because of the length of stall teams/battles. so therefor, i already have a stall team ready for this thing :D try doing the longest stall battle with someone on PO, then put it in slow on the replayer, and see what happens (not that when battling on PS theres gonna be a slow down battle button)

p.s. i'm waiting till the full version comes out, rather than battle with glitches if there is any, personally i am completely satisfied with battling on PO and then using the replayer to view it, or even record, narrate, add music, etc. it.

one of the reasons people didn't try to make a sim with animations in the first place is partially because of the length of stall teams/battles. so therefor, i already have a stall team ready for this thing :D try doing the longest stall battle with someone on PO, then put it in slow on the replayer, and see what happens (not that when battling on PS theres gonna be a slow down battle button)

p.s. i'm waiting till the full version comes out, rather than battle with glitches if there is any, personally i am completely satisfied with battling on PO and then using the replayer to view it, or even record, narrate, add music, etc. it.
This post will have me make the following suggestion. Can u please make an option to turn the animations off XD

This post will have me make the following suggestion. Can u please make an option to turn the animations off XD
they said there will be a way to turn them off, but i wonder if you will only get battles with other people who turn them off/on the same as you did. because if one person has it on, and one person has it off, the person with it off will have to wait for the person with it on to have the animations play

This sounds great. I still have a few questions

1) Will there be a challenge cup tier?

2) Can you don 1v1 challenge cup? (each trainer has only 1 pokemon)

3) Will the Android version be a free app and on the market place?

4) Can we import our teams from PO/Shoddy or do we have to re-make them?

Thanks and I'm very excited for this!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
This sounds great. I still have a few questions

1) Will there be a challenge cup tier?
PS supports "Random Battle 2.0" (tentative name), which isn't exactly the same thing as Challenge Cup. An AI generates teams randomly, but in a way that you're much more likely to get useful moves, abilities, and items.

I may implement a truly random Challenge Cup style Random Battle if enough people ask for it, but it's not particularly high on the priority list.

2) Can you don 1v1 challenge cup? (each trainer has only 1 pokemon)
I see no reason to support this as an official tier, but you could either:

1. play a random battle and promise never to switch (it'll have to be on the honor system).

2. write a server mod (PS supports very easy server modding, as mentioned) to create your own 1v1 challenge cup

3) Will the Android version be a free app and on the market place?
As mentioned earlier: Pokemon Showdown is a web app.

I might release an app wrapper around it, though, in which case, yes, it would be free and on the Marketplace.

4) Can we import our teams from PO/Shoddy or do we have to re-make them?
You can import teams.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy fuck this will be awesome. Just wondering, for us rich bastards, will it make a difference if we run the iPhone web app on an iPad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)