Pokemon Showdown (original announcement)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm curious: What will be Showdown's final approach to Sleep Clause?

I ask because with the imminent release of Meloetta our implementation of Sleep Clause only makes it more likely that situations will arise in which game mechanics are not faithfully adhered to. I only ask because I know that Smogon's general philosophy on this is to mirror game mechanics as closely as possible.
Sleep clause on Showdown AS OF NOW works exactly like PO's did. I remember a while ago Zarel made a thread on suggestions for implementing sleep clause that would work with cartridge mechanics and i think the general consensus was along the lines of "fuck it this works fine" (?) I don't expect sleep clause to be changed from PO's for Meloetta but it may be

Pokemon Showdown looks so good and it´s fun to play with those animations, I like to see the animation when the attack fails or hit another pokemon with Protect. There´s only one thing I miss from PO and that´s to way you place the effort points to your Pokemon.

I was wondering if it´s posible to run Pokemon Showdown on a LG Optimus me? or maybe another smartphones like Samsung Galaxy Ace plus or maybe Nokia Lumia 710/800? (If it´s true then I think it´s time to buy me one lol)

Might I suggest a How To command? One that explains how to import from PO, changing avatars, registering a name, et cetera. I know /help gives /avatar, but that still leaves members of the chat trying to explain importing from po amidst multiple other conversations and people not understanding who is replying to what.

i must say that i like the teambuilder better on PO than PS. This is because it is so much easier to use (in my eyes) than PS. but i really like the import from PO button which makes my life a lot easier. other than that it is great!

I tried it, and this is amazing. However, if we desire to be as close to the games as possible, then we should disable the ability to scroll over the opponent's pokemon and see their items for 2 reasons.

A. This is not accurate to the games

B. It ruins bluff strategies

I tried it, and this is amazing. However, if we desire to be as close to the games as possible, then we should disable the ability to scroll over the opponent's pokemon and see their items for 2 reasons.

A. This is not accurate to the games

B. It ruins bluff strategies
In the 4 months I have been on Showdown, the only way you can see your opponent's items is through trick or the item activating. Would you mind posting the screenshots of it?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
What akela said.

Pokemon Showdown will only show you your opponent's item if the item is specifically mentioned (such as "Magnezone is floating on a balloon!")

To make sure no information is leaked, the server will only send exactly the information that appears on an actual Pokemon game's screen to the cartridge. The client will then keep track of the game state itself "There was a Taunt message a few turns ago, but there hasn't been a Taunt wearing-off message yet, so this pokemon is Taunted". There's even a setting to make damage percentages calculated from the number of pixels lost on the HP bar, since you can't see your opponent's actual HP.

I LOVE the random battle system! No more water guns when you can have surf or HP. Seriously, the random battles, omigawd so fun.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

RisingPokeStar

How do you register for Pokemon showdown? I'm confused...

How do you register for Pokemon showdown? I'm confused...
You select a name. You get into a rated battle (which means, do not challenge/be challenged by anybody, to not select unrated battle). You win the rated battle when the ladder is working. You select a password. You are now registered.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If PS is infringing a copyright, then so was Shoddy Battle, and that never got taken down due to infringement so...

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
does this infringe game freak copyright? id hate to see it taken down
Yeah, stuff like PS, Smogon, and other stuff like Serebii and all that just promote the Pokemon brand, so if anything, GameFreak loves this stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: UT
I know I'm probably whining right now, and I know a lot of people are complaining about it already, but really, during the peak hours PS is close to being unplayable due to lag. It's just a thought, but have you considered placing a cap on the server for now? Something like 400 people max? This way at least some people will have a good experience rather than everyone having a bad one.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I know I'm probably whining right now, and I know a lot of people are complaining about it already, but really, during the peak hours PS is close to being unplayable due to lag. It's just a thought, but have you considered placing a cap on the server for now? Something like 400 people max? This way at least some people will have a good experience rather than everyone having a bad one.
There are still a few things we can do (and are in the process of doing) to dramatically cut down on lag, so a drastic step like that is not necessary at this time. For the moment, we are turning off the lobby chat whenever lag gets extremely harsh.

Here are what I already have over PO:

• Accuracy: PS is designed from the ground up to have an event model and graphics system as close to the games as possible. Examples of things PS gets right that PO doesn't include: Zoroark's Illusion ability, gen 5 Custap Berry effect.
It's been a year, however since the behavior of PO and PS still are different on this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKd8Rj4b4Y

Custap activates not at the end of the turn, but at the beginning of next turn (so PO's behavior has been correct all along). Custap gets released tomorrow with VGC events, it would be better to have it working correctly on PS when it's available in the OU tier!

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but whatever.
I have noticed that I am not the only one that has problems with PS whilst using an iPad and vie been told by a friend that the chrome browser for iPad fixes the not being able to scroll problem but creates more lag (on an iPad it still lags on safari event when connected to high speed wireless Internet).
In general I would like for PS to become more compatible with the iPad/other mobile devices that don't run android since I heard android has less problems but I wouldn't know. Also I personally have a problem with PS on my iPad because iTunes won't let me update past 4.2 because it hates me so I can't get chrome so finding out whether a friend is on or not is tedious to say the least. 1 final thing. I think that you should in general optimize it more for the iPad and other such devices.

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but whatever.
I have noticed that I am not the only one that has problems with PS whilst using an iPad and vie been told by a friend that the chrome browser for iPad fixes the not being able to scroll problem but creates more lag (on an iPad it still lags on safari event when connected to high speed wireless Internet).
In general I would like for PS to become more compatible with the iPad/other mobile devices that don't run android since I heard android has less problems but I wouldn't know. Also I personally have a problem with PS on my iPad because iTunes won't let me update past 4.2 because it hates me so I can't get chrome so finding out whether a friend is on or not is tedious to say the least. 1 final thing. I think that you should in general optimize it more for the iPad and other such devices.
Ehh well from my experience, PS! is just as laggy on Android. I tried running it on an Android tablet, and i've witnessed the same results. Though that's just due to my crappy internet I suppose, as i've heard from several users being quite successful with it. It's just that PS! isn't particularly designed to run well on mobile devices anyway. However, as Zarel has said before, he is making a "real" mobile app for it, which tend to be less laggy, in my case at least.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
As mentioned several times, PS really isn't optimized for mobile devices right now. It'll sort of work but be somewhat-to-really slow (depending on how good your mobile device is), this is known, and I'd generally recommend you use a laptop/desktop if that's a problem.

Just making my first post to thank you for this, Its a bit late and all but I dont really care. You've donde some unbeliveable work here dude, congrats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)