Other Pokemon: Smogon OU Version 2 (Route Nine (After Ice Mountain))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw yall, want some quick discussion on how to handle the gren ban. Replace it, have someone come and switch the mon? Im leaning towards replacing it and thats pretty much left woth Swampert for ou stater waters unless yall really see an issue with that.

Yeah, switching the starter with Mudkip sounds best. Also makes things a bit more symmetrical, since all the starters have megas.

This also means we need to change up the Dark leaders Team, since he has a Greninja

Yeah, switching the starter with Mudkip sounds best. Also makes things a bit more symmetrical, since all the starters have megas.

This also means we need to change up the Dark leaders Team, since he has a Greninja
Ight i can do all that....tomorrow when i get a computer then. *writes that on todo list*

Trick Room I feel should be showcased in its own team, maybe in the next route or town. Seconding Psyshock, barely anything runs Psychic anymore.

Double post, but here's the team.
Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Relic Song
- Psychic
- Close Combat
- Trick Room

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Basically, a team of hard hitting Special Attackers with Bronzong being the suicide Trick Room setter and Alakazam the revenge killer. Conk is the wild card, meant to crush Specially Defensive pokes.

Trainer: Psychic Clark
Pre-battle quote: "How can you win when I distort the dimensions?"
Defeat quote: "You were too much for my slow Pokemon!"
Post-battle quote: "I got my Meloetta from a hidden cave a while away. They say there's actually a lot of them because they're being cloned. Maybe you could get your own Meloetta someday. It's not the most viable, though."

Last edited:
Alrighty, I'm finally back from my hiatus (sorry for being gone for so long, I really didn't mean to disappear like that). Anyway I have a proposal for our new water type starter. What if we made it Poliwag? I think Poliwag would be a cool option for the following reasons:

1. Politoed single handedly enables an entire team archtype.
2. It's a three stage evolution
3. Most other OU viable waters are either viable because of this guy (swampert, kingdra) or are not 3 stage evolutions (Quagsire, Tentacruel).

I would also like to be involved in the department store convo if possible. I think that I can contribute quite a bit there and it looks like they need some help anyway.

Alrighty, I'm finally back from my hiatus (sorry for being gone for so long, I really didn't mean to disappear like that). Anyway I have a proposal for our new water type starter. What if we made it Poliwag? I think Poliwag would be a cool option for the following reasons:

1. Politoed single handedly enables an entire team archtype.
2. It's a three stage evolution
3. Most other OU viable waters are either viable because of this guy (swampert, kingdra) or are not 3 stage evolutions (Quagsire, Tentacruel).

I would also like to be involved in the department store convo if possible. I think that I can contribute quite a bit there and it looks like they need some help anyway.

I still dont think its worth straying from the established idea of making it based on the most ou viable of the starters just cause say Swamp and Blast aren't as versatile/prominent as Greninja was.

I still dont think its worth straying from the established idea of making it based on the most ou viable of the starters just cause say Swamp and Blast aren't as versatile/prominent as Greninja was.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but Politoed is sitting at A- rank while Mega Swampert is sitting at B rank, so according to the OU viability rankings, Toed > Swampert.

If we really want to stick with actual starter mons, Swampert is probably the best choice just because it's not awful outside of rain and isn't as niche as Blastoise (Blastoise is a great bulky offensive spinner, but do you really want a mega spinner?).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but Politoed is sitting at A- rank while Mega Swampert is sitting at B rank, so according to the OU viability rankings, Toed > Swampert.

If we really want to stick with actual starter mons, Swampert is probably the best choice just because it's not awful outside of rain and isn't as niche as Blastoise (Blastoise is a great bulky offensive spinner, but do you really want a mega spinner?).
I dont see how as its OU viable starters, and toed wasn't a starter in the games.

I also don't mind mega toise, but as best option is mega pert at this point i think.

Ok, fair enough. I wasn't sure how strongly you felt on making the starter mons actual starters.

On a completely separate note, here's a gym trainer.

Scientist Scott

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Iron Defense

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Morning Sun
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

Oh no it's (Wobbuffet) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Intro Quote: Psychic is a very interesting type, care to help me experiment with possible uses for them?
Loss Quote: Nooooo, my gimmicks!
Outro Quote: Maybe I should focus on one gimmick at a time.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have ID scolipede this early in the game (just because I think he's OP), but frankly, psychic has always been the gimmick type and it would be a shame if we didn't have a few gimmick yet not banned teams in the gym...

And yes this is a heavily modified version of my quickpass team.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
I think your Zam evs/IVs are a little off. You have zero speed IVs but have max speed plus a beneficial nature otherwise. Since Zam is only being used as a recent killer, I think you should just put 31 Speed IVs anyway because you are guarenteed to survive a hit. Also, I think that including t-wave isn't necessary for a TR team bc you want to outspeed with your slower mons under the field condition, and t-wave inhibits your ability to do that. I'd replace it for energy ball (bulky waters) or calm mind (setup potential). The team otherwise looks great!

I think your Zam evs/IVs are a little off. You have zero speed IVs but have max speed plus a beneficial nature otherwise. Since Zam is only being used as a recent killer, I think you should just put 31 Speed IVs anyway because you are guarenteed to survive a hit. Also, I think that including t-wave isn't necessary for a TR team bc you want to outspeed with your slower mons under the field condition, and t-wave inhibits your ability to do that. I'd replace it for energy ball (bulky waters) or calm mind (setup potential). The team otherwise looks great!
Thanks for the input! I'm not sure what happened to that Speed IV, I didn't mean for it to go like that :P. As for Thunder Wave, I will change that.

So I have a solution to the problem of including HM's. Have the HM's be competitively viable moves that almost every team will have, regardless of playstyle. A possible list of HM's and their effects would be:
HM01: Stealth Rock (Makes bridges out of rocks to cross gaps)
HM02: Surf (The same as always)
HM03: Earthquake (Un-blocks blocked passages)
HM04: Waterfall (The same as always, necessary only for side areas)
HM05: Defog (Clears vision in foggy areas, not necessary to navigate said areas)
HM06: Brave Bird (Works like Fly)

Now, this creates a minor hole in the TM list, TM26 is no longer Earthquake. I suggest replacing it with Strength, so that Strength can be forgotten at any time, like a normal move. As for not every team having Defog, I navigated the foggy routes in Sinnoh with almost no problem whatsoever.
I also suggest having Knock Off be a field move that knocks items off of high places into the player's reach. As for the dilemma of quick transportation being unavailable without Brave Bird, I'd suggest having some sort of underground transport in most cities that only takes you to landmarks you've already visited, but charges a minor fee.

Last edited:
AnybodyAgrees I actually like most of what you said. It is worth noting that IIRC, we gave out return fairly early, making Strength irrelevant.

If we can't think of a suitable replacement, I'd say we just ignore TM26 and maybe have an NPC crack a joke about it or something.

We could replace TM26 with a tutor move that people will want easy access to... I can suggest Knock Off, Draco Meteor, or possibly even something like Trick.

Srry i sorta am gainst the idea of needlessly changing the TM and HM list atm. Since it is such a dang debated issue, a post bout it will be posted shortly on it since its being discussed among me and the others who run this so news to be expected shortly.

Anyway, there isnt lot left on the town i think unless someone wants to do a game corner and or other ideas to put in this big city. Anything else yall can think of? (I think there was also discussion of a radio tower or so)

So after a great deal of discussion, we(that is, Salemance , SparksBlade , and myself) have decided that it would be best to allow the player to use HM moves outside of battle as long as he/she has the appropriate HMs in his bag. We felt that it was much too restrictive on teambuilding to require trainers to carry certain moves on their team, even if they are good, competitively viable moves. This solution releases that restriction on the player without unduly influencing the mechanics that we associate with cartridge game (like surf routes and strength puzzles). Furthermore, there is precedent for this in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, where deep sea dungeons could be accessed simply by carrying HM dive in your inventory (no it's not canon, but it's good enough).

If you have any questions or concerns about this decision, please PM either myself or SparksBlade with them, we would rather not bog down this thread with further arguments on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)