Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

^Hilarious, but what if it were real?
Approved By Haunter, Alexwolf, and Me
Co-managed by Salemance

"Hello, my name is Professor Chou. In this world, there are numerous mysterious creatures called Pokemon.

"Pokemon come in all shapes and sizes, and people around the world enjoy their numerous experiences with Pokemon-- collecting, breeding, contests, having fun and making bonds and friendships.

"But really, all of that is not important, because the only thing that really matters in Pokemon, is winning. And winning, and winning even more.

"Let's face it, if you're aiming for anything besides the title of 'Pokemon Master,' you're pretty much just a loser in the world of Pokemon (and that's saying something). Clashes in the greatest level of skill, becoming the most elite of the elite-- that is all that should be on the mind of the Pokemon trainer, and to that end there is so much to learn. It's a great big world of Pokemon out there, and it's up to you to discover it.

"We have discovered over 700 species of Pokemon, but there are only about 50 of them that are really worth remembering... 100 if being generous. You can find a list of them here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v2.3502428/

"There are also a whole bunch of Pokemon, abilities, items, and moves that are clearly unfair and unbalancing for true competition, so you can ignore them too-- and we're always working on improving this system. As a tiering researcher at Smogon University, I've dedicated my life at Smogon to helping tier leaders and the community discover what needs to be banned-- for the sake of real Pokemon, competitive Pokemon.

"Through research and vast data of great players, here at Smogon University, we have made the ultimate dream for trainers a reality-- an entire region with nothing but Pokemon that are actually good. Welcome to the SmogSmog region, we are sure that it will make you a true Pokemon master.

"That, or you'll just lose and find your place amongst the scrubs. With that, your own adventure in Pokemon awaits!"

Development of the SmogSmog Region Project

Hi all, and welcome to the Smogon Region project (OU Tier). With this thread we're doing something a bit different from all the other purely competitive threads-- something fun, something creative, and something that is still deliciously elitist. The aim of this thread is to answer the question:

What would an in-game Pokemon experience look like when entirely focused on making a Smogon-OU centric experience?

Where the elite four is so insane that you can't beat them without a truly competitive team (imagine Obi's cracked the code to make a god AI for this). Where the gym leaders are also insane (with full teams of 6 bad-ass members), but the whole in-game experience is geared towards helping you raise a truly OU-worthy roster. Where you need to be a true competitive player to actually beat the game-- and the game itself is actually developed to teach what it takes to be a competitive player.

This thread is strictly fun/hypothetical, and is not intended to be the blueprint for an actual rom or Pokemon game remake. Please don't discuss something like that here either.

(However, if you do want to discuss a Rom/Hack and have the skills to make it happen, send me a private conversation)

Where you have a choice between these 12 Pokemon to start with:

Modest
Chlorophyl
31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 (HP Fire)

Relaxed
Overgrow
31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 30 (HP Ice)

Calm
Chlorophyl
31 / 0 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31 (HP Ice)

Bold
Chlorophyl
31 / 0 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 (HP Fire)

Naive
Solar Power
31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Modest
Solar Power
31 / 0 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Jolly
Blaze

Adamant
Blaze

Timid
Protean

Naive
Protean

Modest
Protean

Timid
Protean
31 / 0 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 (Hidden Power Fire)

Where you can run into charming NPCs such as these:

"Hello trainer, do you know what IVs are? I'm the IV guru, but you can talk to one of my brothers in any of the Pokemon Centers. We'll let you know how your IVs stack up. What!? You don't know what IVs are!?? Well, it's clear you've got a long way to go as a trainer. Let me explain. See, everytime you acquire a Pokemon, a random number between 0-31 is generated for each stat called an Individual Value, or IV. At level 100, that stat will be boosted by 1 for every point you have in IV. For the most part, if your Poke doesn't have 30-31 in every stat, it sucks. Would you like me to rate your Pokemon?"

"Wow, your Fletchling is Quiet? That kind of sucks balls."

"Hello there, I'm master chef Jimbo-- the greatest, chef in the world in skill and girth. What? You want me to make you something? Screw that. Tell you what though, bring me some food (berries, honey, whatever), and from my amazing dishes, I'll hand you some leftovers. Should be enough for the likes of you.

Give Jimbo food? (Yes/No)

Alright, let me see what I can do.
Here you go. Let me know when you want more leftovers."

"High, yes, I am the EV shifter Delko. I have psychic powers that let me shift EVs you've terribly put in badly arranged slots, and move them into stats where they'll actually be useful. Would you like me to use my powers on your Pokemon? Ewww... 233 EVs of Special Attack on your Gliscor? We'll have to fix this shit."

^Yes, we can and will make NPCs based off of actual users in the forums.
BUT DO NOT SUGGEST AN NPC BASED OFF YOURSELF

Obviously, there are a lot of details that goes into planning an entire in-game experience (and we'll only get as detailed as people are willing to participate-- the more people get involved, the more detailed we'll get). So here's how it will work:

Designing Routes / Towns

All of the designs will be made based on:

1) Time Period for Proposals
2) Proposal posts for details about different game aspects
3) LIKES (the more up votes/likes a proposal gets, higher chance it'll be included in that town/route's information)

Routes will go in an orderly, numeric fashion. Generally speaking, they will follow a feel/design similar to equivalents in actual Pokemon games (the first route is a simple meadow with bird and small mammal mons, route 2 or 3 will have a bug/grass dungeon, routes later in the game can have mountain or ocean, etc.).

Towns too should roughly fit the mold of what a town would be like at that point in the game.

During route design, I will start discussion by posting some basic details-- options for terrain types, # of wild Pokemon slots, etc. (usually only those two details, though I might casually recommend up some potential proposals for mons on said route)

During Town design, I will say whether a town has a gym or not, but otherwise, completely open to proposals for what the town will be like. Towns may take more time to design, especially if they have a gym leader.

I will give 1 week for posters to post proposals about the Route or Town. (could be shorter for simpler routes though).

EACH POSTER MAY ONLY POST 1 PROPOSAL POST PER ROUTE/TOWN PROJECT

Types of proposals:

Rules for Proposing Pokemon
Wild Pokemon: I'll say how many species of wild Pokemon there should be on a given route, but from there it's up to you guys to propose what should be there. 1 Proposal post should only propose ONE POKEMON. Keep in mind: WILD POKEMON IN THIS REGION CAN HAVE THEIR DREAM WORLD ABILITIES.

Example post:
Route 1
Fletchling
Level 3-6
Reasoning: Talonflame is the best small bird in the game-- it's only only one that's A ranked. Really, there's no reason why there would be any bird on this route but the Smogon bird (and maybe starly... maybe...). Find it in the basic grass.

Rules on Pokemon Proposals:
1. DO NOT PROPOSE A POKEMON THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN PROPOSED
(though you may discuss/respond to why that Pokemon deserves to be on that route)
2. UP VOTE the proposals for Pokemon you want to be on the route-- the Proposals with the most "likes" = the Pokemon chosen for the route
3. The Pokemon MUST be on the Viability Ranking list, or un-evolved form.
UNLESS:
a) They are a Pokemon really good for EV training b) They are a Pokemon really good for Experience (Audino) c) They are a parent that gives a Viability Rank mon a certain Egg move d) name is Ditto
Note: Moody, Evasion, OHKO moves, and banned Pokemon will be totally removed from Pokemon's learn sets and the game-- as will TMs, items (banned mega stones), etc. that would ruin the Smogon-OU pure environment of this region.

Event Pokemon: Event Pokemon can be proposed on any route or town, but I will use my discretion on whether a proposal makes sense or not. Generally speaking, an event mon should be something more of a NICHE Pokemon (think Eevee), or a Legendary Pokemon (or something like Rotom). Pokemon like Aegislash, Bisharp or Dragonite that fit on a variety of team types and are staples of many teams should pretty much be in the wild so that a player could have easy access to getting it on his team.

Rules for Proposing Items and NPC's
Items: Mainly focused on TMs/HMs/Competitive items, and at which timing and how they should be introduced, but just throw up proposals and if people like your proposals, it'll get included.

NPCS: Non-player characters, all those fun guys who come up and talk to you on a given route. These will have a lot less rules, and generally speaking, if the character makes sense and is fun, it'll be included. These characters are BETTER if based on an actual user, but try not to be (too much of) a dick when designing them. Character proposals CAN be opportunities to propose the entry of a new battle item or TM, or teaching the player something important about competitive battling. It can also be a battler with actual Pokemon.

Example:
NPC: Ninja, Somalia
Script: Ugghhh... I'm giving up this shit ass game, here you can have this if you want.
*You received TM 53!*
Meh, Giga Drain is almost always better, but if you got to teach Energy Ball to something, teach it to a grass-type and not a water-type like Jellicent. Because that would be gay.

Route 1 NPC: Random guy hidden behind rock outcrop
Script: Shhhh these rocks are my stealthy hiding place. Tell you what, if you keep my hideout a secret, I'll give you a present. Here, take this TM for Stealth Rocks.

Note: Try to stay away from designs based on REALLY well known/successful tournament players and/or leaders in the community, since these are members people will likely want to use for designs of Gym Leaders / E4 / Champion character proposals

Story Line: Generally speaking, we'll be more focused just on talking about where Pokemon/items show up and probably a LOT about gym leaders and game design... BUT if you want to write potential story line for the route/town being discussed, give it a shot-- and if people like it a lot (or if I just like it a lot...) it'll get included in that route/town's information. This includes events and whatnot.

Gym Leader Design Rules
The gym leaders are going to be a bit different from the other characters, but same in basic principle. First, I will propose a "type" for the gym, and then posters will propose basic designs.

1) When designing a gym leader, first people will post proposals for basic design: Name of Gym Leader, 6 Pokemon, Script
2) The gym leader should probably be based on one of our members (and one of the better, more well-known players)
3) The 6 mon roster SHOULD include Pokemon NOT belonging to the gym's type, that can cover for the type's weaknesses (ie. Rotom appearing in the bug gym to cover the Flying weak).
4) In the same way as everything else, proposal that gets the most likes will BE CHOSEN
(Probably 1 week spent here)

5) From there, we will go onto choosing the actual sets-- in the same way, people will post proposal sets for each of the 6 Pokemon proposed in the original design. 1 Post, 1 set.
6) Posts with high likes will be chosen for the sets

example:
(Proposed Bug Gym Leader)
Rotom (Normal Form)
Level 23
252 HP / 252 SPA / 4 SPE
Modest
@ Leftovers
-Will-o-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-Pain Split

Now that we've talked about all the basics stages, there's one more thing I'd like to talk about-- The Baddies.

"Ah, there is one thing I'd like to warn you about before you head out on your adventure. Word has it that a new team of villains has been assembling in the shadows, the netherworlds of terrible online Pokemon stuff. They call themselves "Team Luck-Sack", and the name is quite fitting. They're an uncivilized bunch, dipping their hands into all the unsavory and unlawful practices of Pokemon-- evasion moves, moody, breaking sleep clause, using Swagger, and using Pokemon that have explicitly been banned by the lawful body, the Smogon Pokemon League.

We have established tight security over the region, so I don't foresee any problems but... rumor has it that team lucksack is working on developing the technology to invade the region, and are slowly creeping in. It's just rumor though.
Generally speaking, lucksackers suck at Pokemon, so you should be able to handle any minor conflicts, but keep an eye out for them..."

Team luck sack-- this should give you a feel for them.

Grunts: Sucky terrible Pokemon not on the viability list, but using Double Team, OHKO moves, and Swagger
Higher level grunts: could see Prankster-Swagg and Moody
Admins: Still see crappy non OU-viable mons mixed into their teams, but Ubers, banned Mega Stones, and full Prankster-Swagg + Ditto, full baton pass may feature on their teams.

That should cover all the major details of how this thread will work-- for the time being, feel free to comment/discuss the idea of the thread AND PROPOSE DESIGN PROPOSALS FOR THE FIRST TOWN (main character's home town, Professor Chou's lab), and First town NPCs.

ALSO PROPOSALS FOR RIVAL DESIGN (rival not based on an actual Smogon user)

When I open up the invite to start designing the first route, this project will really take off!

Finished Route/Town information:

First Town: Golurkmoar Town

Route 1: Grass, wild Grass, and SR

Second Town: Redarules Town

Route 2: Some Ocean Breeze before the forest

Forest: Tiemsix Forest

Third Town: Orland City

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Great, you do that doughboy-- try to keep the terrain up in the air for now though. Feel free to base it off a real geographic location like the other Pokemon games.

Also, I'd rather we not explicitly pick out a specific other group of players/community/media channel to bash; that's against the spirit of the good-hearted fun I want to keep this thread in.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Player character's mother needs to begin a heartfelt monologue about how her husband, chaos, was lost at sea many years before and you must go on a journey to carry out his legacy. Story-related stuff, yes, but an attempt at inserting NPCs and characters. I don't have a starting place for the mother's monologue/script, but just an idea.

Super rough but this is SmogSmog

Koofing or Weezing had to make it in this game somehow. Squares are towns, circles are cities, the triangles are mountains. Red is where you start and the yellow star is where you end.

editted: updated with ocean and land color for clarity

Last edited:
Player character's mother needs to begin a heartfelt monologue about how her husband, chaos, was lost at sea many years before and you must go on a journey to carry out his legacy. Story-related stuff, yes, but an attempt at inserting NPCs and characters. I don't have a starting place for the mother's monologue/script, but just an idea.
I get the feeling chaos should be the champ though.

This may be the best thing ever.

Rival could be some kind of Hax Master? Always (or at least greatly increased chance of) crits, freezes, parahax, etc
Or uses current suspected strategies? Baton Pass for example

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I personally think the Rival should be a legitimate player. I mean, sure Silver was kind of a dick, and Gary could be a prick, but rivals in later games are all more your friends than anything-- besides, all rivals, from Gary, to your cross-gendered self in XY were all trying to be legitimate battlers (though Gary was the only one who kind of was...), so I think the rival in XY should really be that-- a rival.

An incredibly strong character and a legitimate competitive battler. He should pick the Pokemon that best handles whatever you picked (Timid Froakie => Calm Bulbasaur), and build a really strong team based around whatever his starter was.

ie. He picks calm/bold Bulbasaur, he makes a really sick stall team for example.

Just like Gary only picked the best of the best Pokemon, I think the rival in Smogon OU should build the most stereotypical (but REALLY GOOD) teams.

Also, I see team luck sack admins exemplefying the use of banned shit.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Wait so Chou is it going to be like compartmentalized in terms of towns and stuff? Like will you basically say "ok now we're working on towns, next week will work on this, and so forth". Or are we just brainstorming stuff and putting out ideas? I'm just curious cause I would like to make a basic layout of a town of sorts so I was just curious if now is the time or maybe later.

Edit: Ok so we're going off town after town in sequential order if what I'm assuming is correct from the OP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so should we draw up an idea for the first town, or should we wait? Because tbh if we want to make fun at the people who have only touched base on competitive battling, our first town needs to have the name of one of the other pokemon community sites.

The trainers coming out of the first town should all be school kids to model the idea of the old shallow end of pokemon. Maybe a school in the first town that has nothing to do with pokemon competitively but instead has all the students talking about wifi play and their level 999 pelipper? On the corner, there could be a guy in a trenchcoat (the avatar for looker) who goes "Hey kid... wanna see something nice?" and could be the professor, Professor Articblast.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Edit: Ok so we're going off town after town in sequential order if what I'm assuming is correct from the OP. Correct me if I'm wrong.
correct

Okay, so should we draw up an idea for the first town, or should we wait? Because tbh if we want to make fun at the people who have only touched base on competitive battling, our first town needs to have the name of one of the other pokemon community sites.

The trainers coming out of the first town should all be school kids to model the idea of the old shallow end of pokemon. Maybe a school in the first town that has nothing to do with pokemon competitively but instead has all the students talking about wifi play and their level 999 pelipper? On the corner, there could be a guy in a trenchcoat (the avatar for looker) who goes "Hey kid... wanna see something nice?" and could be the professor, Professor Articblast.
Anything and everything for the first town is up for discussion RIGHT NOW.

Keep in mind though, that like real games, the first towns/routes are best to keep pretty simple.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
^Let's not be scientific about this, but just get the poster's opinions and make a decision.

Would you guys prefer gyms based on Archetypes or Types?

Note: THE E4 WILL DEFINITELY BE ARCHETYPE BASED

^Let's not be scientific about this, but just get the poster's opinions and make a decision.

Would you guys prefer gyms based on Archetypes or Types?

Note: THE E4 WILL DEFINITELY BE ARCHETYPE BASED
It would have to by based on archetypes because steam rolling through the monotypes gyms with whatever pokemon you caught over there is against the idea of "by the end of the game you have a competitively viable team / use competitive strategiess"

Just a quick note: If this is intended to play like Competitive pokemon the whole way through, the level system won't work as you can just do what you do in a normal game: Grind or focus on one pokemon so it's much higher level. With different levels you lose the finesse of EV spreads, speed creeping... Stuff this game is meant to teach, right? Well to fix this problem you'd need to scale all the battles...

And also: The pokedex in the game should be the smogon dex, showing movesets, etc.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I agree with archetypes in terms of gym leaders on maybe a more novice level depending on what point in time the gym leader is at. So where as an E4 member has a team that defines the archetype flawlessly, a gym leader could perhaps touch up on it but have obvious flaws so to speak. Just an idea really.

Seeing doughboys map makes me think that like in Johto and Kanto the town should have a river to the south therefore I propose a couple of mons to catch to the south of starter town (also can druddigon be an event legendary :p. )

Starter Town
Surfing: Horsea (15-20), Mantine (18-23), Seadra (25-30), Tentacool (15-20), Tentacruel (25-30)
Reasoning: there are not that many non legendary non event surf mons that are even slightly viable but this is a decent mix of options.
Fishing
Old Rod: Magikarp (level 5-10)
Reasoning: Old Rod should catch karp on all routes.
Good Rod: Magikarp (15-20)
Reasoning: see above
Staryu (15-20)
Reasoning: A very good competitive water type and is usually caught in seas with a good rod.
Alomomola (15-20)
Reasoning: Eases grinding lots after getting the good Rod.

Super Rod
Gyarados (35-40)
Good attack EV fodder for quick grinding and is always caught with super Rod
Alomomola (35-40)
Reasoning: Keep the grinding train going.

Need some more super rod ideas but love this idea :).

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
If the Elite Four will be archetypes, switch things up by giving the Gym Leaders monotypes. But Monotype isn't the most competitively relevant tier so maybe each one has three types that compliment each other core-wise? For instance one Gym Leader would have Fire/Water/Grass (two Fire, two Water, two Grass), another could have Ghost/Normal/Fighting or something queer like that. As long as it feels intrinsic without trying too hard to be different at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)