Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're discussing it for kicks and giggles, but if there were someone who could create such a romhack, it'd be awesome. mostly laying blueprints just because we can.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I think we shouldn't be giving trainers pokemon with moves learned by TMs/Egg Moves/Tutors yet since this is incredibly early in the game and the player doesn't really have access to these yet

Anyways, a trainer propsal
Trainer Propsal
Lass Peggy

Eevee (F) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 7
Jolly Nature
- Tackle

Bunnelby (F) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Tackle
- Agillity
- Quick Attack

Pre-Battle Quote: My Pokemon get only the most luxurious things, the most luxurious PokeBalls ,the most luxurious Pokemon Food, and the most luxurious battles.
Lost Quote: What have you done? For my Pokemon to get the luxurious battle, they must win not lose, silly trainer.
Post-Battle Quote: For not giving my Pokemon the most luxurious battle, your going to have to pay a fine of 1 Million PokeDollers! What!? Your not going to pay this fine!? Well look at you Mr/Ms. Cheepskate, not paying a simple fine.

(Depending on Gender, I'm assuming we can pick Gender, also dont include stuff in parentheses)

Last edited:
Hey y'all, macho will be doing this weeks wrap up once he gets some free time do to me having some slight scheduling conflicts with not having a computer for a few days. Till he posts keep posting ideas and see y'all when I get my comp back.

In meantime:

NPC Proposal
Bug King Johnny
Self proclaimed bug king with normal bug catcher design except with a golden bug catcher hat!

Pokemon: Pinsir and Venipede

Pre-Battle Quote: my subjects, fight for your king!

Losing quote: My men.....they've fallen.

After losing he starts a discussion with ya over how he feels as if he isn't treating his people well enough. He feels as if he needs to reconnect with them all and asks if you wouldn't mind taking one of his men with him. If no, he says he understands and leaves. If yes, he will hand over his Pinsir to you. After doing so he will ask to fight you and him again once you've gotten his old subject greater power. Then he leaves.

Basically a guy to hand out a Pinsir, and a rematch waiting once you unlock Pinsir's mega stone.if no trade is thought needed, he can just be trainer.

Would the Create-A-Pokemon... Pokemon, such as Cyclohm, for example, be allowed in this project? CAP is a Smogon project, after all. Also, how about referring to the region as the "Province of Smogonia," instead of SmogSmog?

Would the Create-A-Pokemon... Pokemon, such as Cyclohm, for example, be allowed in this project? CAP is a Smogon project, after all. Also, how about referring to the region as the "Province of Smogonia," instead of SmogSmog?
We most likely won't have CAP in this (though I do like the idea). Even if we do, it'd be strictly post-game and they would be ineligible to use in most battles except for specialized/no-holds-barred matches.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Chou Toshio said that they would be exclusively post-game, iirc.

Suggestion for the bad guys team: The leader (or an admin/ higher up) should use pokemon that were once in OU but have now been banned. The justification for this is that "Tiers are 4 queers" or something along those lines; basically a guy who doesn't like how Smogon's tiering system works/ doesn't agree with what's been banned. He/she should also use semi good moves, but then a couple that just don't make sense, to reflect how the people who don't agree (usually) don't have a clue about how competitive balance works.

Example team:

- Blaziken
Speed Boost
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut
- Aerial Ace
- Double Kick

Aegislash
Stance Change
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Protect
- Iron Defense

Deoxys D
Pressure
- Spikes
- Counter
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Kangaskhan
Scrappy @Kangaskhanite
- Fake Out
- Mega Punch
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake

^Let's not be scientific about this, but just get the poster's opinions and make a decision.

Would you guys prefer gyms based on Archetypes or Types?

Note: THE E4 WILL DEFINITELY BE ARCHETYPE BASED

I'd prefer Archetype based, since it's the most interesting of the two options. I think Dragmag and Voltturn would be good for gym leaders, don't know what to do about the elite four though. Rain HO?

One more edit- do we have any renditions of the player characters? As in, any art of them? Because I would explode with happiness if I could do those. My qualifications are on my dA page.

On a side note, whoever does the games boxart should do Tyraitar or mega Ttar, since he has been a staple of OU for five generations. Gengar would also count.

Last edited:
The Pizza Man I see nothing wrong with having weaker TMs available to enemies early in he game, a prime example is toxic (really should've been the first TM imo, not SR). Toxic's power is fairly consistant no matter when it is introduced, and it's not broken at all since this is when poison usually gets introduced anyway via poison sting. Protect is another good canadate for not broken early TM. If anything, we should focus more on giving the trainer access to these TMs and not blatantly useless garbage(at this point anyway) like SR.

Salemance I dislike the idea of having pinsir given to the player so early, nor am I particularly a big fan of having the player face pinsir this early, and megapinsir should not be available until items are much more common place to offset the fact that airialate is literally a free LO.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that SR is a worthless competetive move, I am saying that when most battles involve one or two enemy mons, SR is a pretty dumb move.

*edit to avoid double posting*

The Pizza Man On a completely separate note, I think we should avoid one mon teams as much as possible, I made two exceptions so far for the first TLS grunt and Youngster Joey more for the sake of keeping true to the intended references then anything else, but for most of the trainers we want them to be sincerely trying to have a competitive team using what they have been given. I personally recommend lowering the bunnelby's level by one, two at most, and adding in a froakie.

Also, NPC proposal

Pokenerd Chad

Initial Quote: I just found a slowpoke in the grass over there! He had this really cool ability where he healed every time I swapped him out! I bet if I taught him toxic, I could beat my opponent's team without even attacking! You should try it too.

*got TM Toxic*

If you talk to him afterwords: Hmmm, it seems like toxic doesn't work on poison types like venipede, I'll need to come up with a backup plan for him. Maybe I should try putting him to sleep with yawn? Or maybe I should get a flying type? Decisions decisions.

Reasoning: We've been introducing a lot of stallmons like chespin and slowpoke, but they really don't come with any good stall moves. If we are going to try to make all archtypes viable in game, we need to give them the tools they need to succeed. Introducing toxic, which is quite possibly the most well known stall move out there, and is a widely distributed, effective, and easy to understand weapon ready for our beginner stall player to-bes to use.

Last edited:
Pokemon Proposal [Route 2]

Maybe we can have a pond or two and offer fishing rods. Here is one possible Poke:

Magikarp
Level range: 5-7
Ability: 50% Swift Swim, 50% Rattled
Item: 80% no item, 15% Wacan Berry, 5% Rindo Berry
-Splash
-Bounce
Reasoning: Gives players an opportunity to obtain Gyarados if they put up with training the weak Magikarp. Note that Bounce is a tutor move. Gyarados can be a fearsome sweeper. Perhaps a later trainer will have a Gyaradosite or something...

Explorer Let's avoid giving wild mons tutor moves, it may have unforeseen consequences. It's not like gyara is in desperate need of bounce anyway. Other than that, if the berry breeding bag thingie proposed several pages ago goes through, there won't be much need for wild mons to be holding berries, so that's one less headache we need to worry about, I kinda dislike grinding wild mons for items anyway. Also, we're on a coastal route, so there's already a body of water. Having a lake and a beach in the same route would be mighty confusing, and I think we have one in Golurkmoar town anyway. Lastly, it's practically pokelaw that magikarp be catchable in every body of water via old rod, so I'm not seeing much point in reproposing it.

Explorer Let's avoid giving wild mons tutor moves, it may have unforeseen consequences. It's not like gyara is in desperate need of bounce anyway. Other than that, if the berry breeding bag thingie proposed several pages ago goes through, there won't be much need for wild mons to be holding berries, so that's one less headache we need to worry about, I kinda dislike grinding wild mons for items anyway. Also, we're on a coastal route, so there's already a body of water. Having a lake and a beach in the same route would be mighty confusing, and I think we have one in Golurkmoar town anyway. Lastly, it's practically pokelaw that magikarp be catchable in every body of water via old rod, so I'm not seeing much point in reproposing it.
Oh I didn't see that it was a coastal route…so many posts to keep track of….

I suppose you can just use Splash then…greatness comes with patience, after all.

The Pizza Man I see nothing wrong with having weaker TMs available to enemies early in he game, a prime example is toxic (really should've been the first TM imo, not SR). Toxic's power is fairly consistant no matter when it is introduced, and it's not broken at all since this is when poison usually gets introduced anyway via poison sting. Protect is another good canadate for not broken early TM. If anything, we should focus more on giving the trainer access to these TMs and not blatantly useless garbage(at this point anyway) like SR.

Salemance I dislike the idea of having pinsir given to the player so early, nor am I particularly a big fan of having the player face pinsir this early, and megapinsir should not be available until items are much more common place to offset the fact that airialate is literally a free LO.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that SR is a worthless competetive move, I am saying that when most battles involve one or two enemy mons, SR is a pretty dumb move.

The Pizza Man On a completely separate note, I think we should avoid one mon teams as much as possible, I made two exceptions so far for the first TLS grunt and Youngster Joey more for the sake of keeping true to the intended references then anything else, but for most of the trainers we want them to be sincerely trying to have a competitive team using what they have been given. I personally recommend lowering the bunnelby's level by one, two at most, and adding in a froakie.

Also, NPC proposal

Pokenerd Chad

Initial Quote: I just found a slowpoke in the grass over there! He had this really cool ability where he healed every time I swapped him out! I bet if I taught him toxic, I could beat my opponent's team without even attacking! You should try it too.

*got TM Toxic*

If you talk to him afterwords: Hmmm, it seems like toxic doesn't work on poison types like venipede, I'll need to come up with a backup plan for him. Maybe I should try putting him to sleep with yawn? Or maybe I should get a flying type? Decisions decisions.

Reasoning: We've been introducing a lot of stallmons like chespin and slowpoke, but they really don't come with any good stall moves. If we are going to try to make all archtypes viable in game, we need to give them the tools they need to succeed. Introducing toxic, which is quite possibly the most well known stall move out there, and is a widely distributed, effective, and easy to understand weapon ready for our beginner stall player to-bes to use.
The problem is Toxic has a lasting affect outside of battle. It's not something I would want to expose new trainers to on a regular basis until after the first gym.

On the other hand. I still believe the TM for Return or Frustration should appear somewhat earlier. Those two TMs ARE given out early and we can easily put it on physical sweepers until they get good moves (like Azurill/Marill/Azumarill will probably exclusively be using it until level 21 when it learns Aqua Tail)

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I agree that toxic shouldn't be introduced this early. Maybe we could've a trainer later on to show how important status is, like there was one before the ghost gym in johto.
CTNC your trainer isn't the type that would be any use to the player. Next time please propose a decent set with decent pokes

Mew King I would be giving that argument more credibility if we hadn't already introduced slowpoke(yawn) and venipede(poison sting). As of gen 5, poison damage outside of battle was removed completely, greatly reducing the frustration factor. Furthermore, in every gen, even gen 1, poison has been introduced in the first forest you come across, complete with an NPC and/or sign warning you how dangerous it is, as well as some random antidotes laying around for the player's convenience.

Toxic is an extremely well known and widely distributed move. Even non-competetive players know of the infamous toxic-double team-rest combo (which is, ofc, banned) due to it's ability to be tacked onto quite nearly anything. If we really want to make stall viable in game, then we need to give stall a few tools, otherwise they either suck or are just bulky offense.

My goal for these early routes is to try to introduce the player to basic teambuilding concepts without having to worry about complicated concepts like weather, abilities, or items. So far I've given an FWG wannabe core and a balanced core, both of which are plenty beatable given the tools the player has atm.

CTNC Either that trainer would get owned or he would outright PP stall the player. Neither are even remotely desirable.

Youngster Stan

Pre-battle quote: I heard that Pokemon learn strong moves quicker and gain more experience if you don't let them evolve, so I prevented mine from evolving for a long time.
Loss quote: I should have let them evolved.
Post-battle quote: I heard that Pokemon get stronger quicker if you don't let them evolve. Now mine don't seem able to.

Magikarp
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 100
Timid Nature
- Splash

Tynamo
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Magnet Rise

Feebas
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Splash

Abra
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Teleport

Burmy
Ability: Overcoat
Timid Nature
- Protect

Metapod
Ability: Shed Skin
Timid Nature
- Harden

The natures are Timid because Speed doesn't madder and -Atk reduces Struggle's power. The name is Stan, because the first three letters are the same as Stall. If this can't be an early game trainer, I hope it can be a bay guy.
Metapod. With Shed Skin. And with Harden. So at this point you might not have a Special Fire Attack and would be doomed to eternal PP stall. And you can't even Toxic the fucker because Shed Skin (Well you can, it'll just wear off occasionally). Same with Burmy except for Powder moves instead x.x (And fucking protect). And one last thing: IF you defeat these, you'll get WAY too much experience, so you'll either A. Waltz through everything early game or B. Be screwed by your Pokemon disobeying you (Im assuming thats still in place)
Also this was ripped off of Pokemon Blue Kaizo. Just saying

Metapod. With Shed Skin. And with Harden. So at this point you might not have a Special Fire Attack and would be doomed to eternal PP stall. And you can't even Toxic the fucker because Shed Skin (Well you can, it'll just wear off occasionally). Same with Burmy except for Powder moves instead x.x (And fucking protect). And one last thing: IF you defeat these, you'll get WAY too much experience, so you'll either A. Waltz through everything early game or B. Be screwed by your Pokemon disobeying you (Im assuming thats still in place)
Not even a special fire attack will help you

200 SpA level 5 Charmander Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metapod: 6-8 (2.4 - 3.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Yeah, the trainer is dumb and doesn't help anyone. Iron Defense scolipede is more fair then this bs.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Disobedience only happens for traded Pokemon, but yeah I definitely agree with you

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
WebBowser said:
200 SpA level 5 Charmander Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metapod: 6-8 (2.4 - 3.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
your metapod is lv100
calc for lv5 metapod
200 SpA Charmander Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metapod: 38-48 (180.9 - 228.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
your metapod is lv100
calc for lv5 metapod
200 SpA Charmander Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metapod: 38-48 (180.9 - 228.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The guy proposed a level 100 Metapod though, not a level 5 one

Also, NPC proposal

Pokenerd Chad

*got TM Toxic*

Okay, but I'm going to be adding something else to represent a pet better

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Yeah, my idea is a probably terrible one. I was thinking half of the focus would be on competitive battling and the other half on humor and that a joke team destroyed by Toxic right after you get Toxic would be funny, but thinking about it, it would suck and I'm sorry for suggesting it.
Is it a rip off if I if I didn't know I was ripping off something?

Trainer Proposal
Electrician Dave

Magnemite @ no item
Trait: Magnet Pull
Quiet nature
-Tackle
-Thunder Wave

Magnemite @ no item
Trait: Sturdy
Relaxed nature
-Tackle
-Thunder Wave

Pre-battle quote: Prepare to be shocked with how frustrated you will be!
Post-battle quote: I think some water spilled onto the control panel of hax…

This trainer would introduce the frustration and power that come with paralysis as a status move. The player will also likely notice that Magnemite outspends his/her Pokemon once paralyzed if it was faster than Magnemite to begin with, which is why paralysis is such a lethal anti-setup sweeper tool.

Oops forgot about the one post rule. I guess you can use it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)