Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
you mean Nurse Joy?
and will someone explain to me why we have day-cares in every town when they are accessible through pc's?

Huh, that's just funny. Thanks for the error. Also, its not in every city/town, as the day care is in the second town but not the first. Its also to encompass a sense of location as even if you can access it, physically knowing where your Pokémon will be is better than just mindlessly sending them over the internet to a place that says it will be there.

Seeing as this is the bug forest at the beggining of the game, it would probably be a good place to have a NPC explain the effects of sticky web. It would probably have to be through a conversation seeing as the only pokemon that can learn sticky web at that level range are shuckle, which probably isn't going to demonstrate the speed drop very well, and galvantula, which is a bit too strong.

I think that there should be a mini-route between the town and the forest. We haven't had ANY minor NPC battles yet I think (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm being lazy and not re-reading the thread >.>) and there are normally a good few before the forest. If we did have a route before the forest it would probably have 2-3 trainers.

Did we ever introduce type advantages? If we added some bugz to this route and have some sort of thing with a level 10 Fletchling (the level it learns Peck, its first flying move) we could show something. Or maybe that's too basic.

Either way the unfortunate thing is that most viable bugs are like Pinsir, Heracross, and Scizor, in that they don't have a lame starting form, creating a bit of a power imbalance this early on. Shroomish seems a good choice, maybe Venonat, Foongus, Venipede? Tympole? It depends on what the forest's like. Is it a dry forest, wet, haunted, bright and sunny, on fire? I suppose the question is what do we need in terms of making a viable team from the forest.

Venipede, Shroomish, and Foongus sound like good choices to me. I'd make a Pokemon proposal but I'm on my iPod, so it takes forever. Maybe when I get home.

Alpha Thing's mention of Scizor made me think of something: How will we deal with trade evolutions? I know a lot of existing romhacks change them to normal level up evolutions, but I don't know if that is our best option or not.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alpha Thing's mention of Scizor made me think of something: How will we deal with trade evolutions? I know a lot of existing romhacks change them to normal level up evolutions, but I don't know if that is our best option or not.
I'm thinking we could have a guy later on who will evolve your pokemon who evolve by trading normally in exchange for money/a heartscale like item, and if they require a certain item to evolve then also that item.

But yeah you should post something for items, trainers, and wild pokemon

Last edited:

DeBlois

Banned deucer.
Trade Pokemon could evolve with how they're used in competitive battling.

"Scyther must learn Swords Dance and sweep an opponents team 6-0 to evolve." (doesn't have to be 6-0)

In the forest we should have Trainers (2-3 of them) that have Pokemon strong for EV training against the wild encounters and good match-up against bug type Pokemon. Say, one of them has Modest/Solar Power/Sunny Day Charmander. A few wild options for this would be Sunkern and Oddish, as they give Sp.A EV's to help this Charmander.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Trade Pokemon could evolve with how they're used in competitive battling.

"Scyther must learn Swords Dance and sweep an opponents team 6-0 to evolve." (doesn't have to be 6-0)

In the forest we should have Trainers (2-3 of them) that have Pokemon strong for EV training against the wild encounters and good match-up against bug type Pokemon. Say, one of them has Modest/Solar Power/Sunny Day Charmander. A few wild options for this would be Sunkern and Oddish, as they give Sp.A EV's to help this Charmander.
For the first part, no, if new players are going to be playing this they need an easy way to evolve their pokes, while a 6-0 Sweep maybe be easy for us, its not for them, we need something easy for everybody

Also we are going to be putting in super training in some way (If you played X and Y I dont need to explain what this is) so there is no point in dedicating wild pokes to EV training

Pokémon Proposal:

Larvesta
Normal Grass
Level 4-7

Volcarona is still (somewhat) viable, and Larvesta is shitty enough that it won't be anywhere near game breaking early game. Because of the presumably steep level curve in this game (if the E4 is to be Lvl 100), his ridiculously high evolution level won't be too bad.

DeBlois

Banned deucer.
For the first part, no, if new players are going to be playing this they need an easy way to evolve their pokes, while a 6-0 Sweep maybe be easy for us, its not for them, we need something easy for everybody

Also we are going to be putting in super training in some way (If you played X and Y I dont need to explain what this is) so there is no point in dedicating wild pokes to EV training
It's a SU game, it's meant to be like that, otherwise it may as well be a normal Pokemon game. Nothing different if it's played the same way as every other Pokemon game..

+ I'm not dedicating any mons, it was just a suggestion ^^

I think that there should be a mini-route between the town and the forest. We haven't had ANY minor NPC battles yet I think (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm being lazy and not re-reading the thread >.>) and there are normally a good few before the forest. If we did have a route before the forest it would probably have 2-3 trainers.

Did we ever introduce type advantages? If we added some bugz to this route and have some sort of thing with a level 10 Fletchling (the level it learns Peck, its first flying move) we could show something. Or maybe that's too basic.

Either way the unfortunate thing is that most viable bugs are like Pinsir, Heracross, and Scizor, in that they don't have a lame starting form, creating a bit of a power imbalance this early on. Shroomish seems a good choice, maybe Venonat, Foongus, Venipede? Tympole? It depends on what the forest's like. Is it a dry forest, wet, haunted, bright and sunny, on fire? I suppose the question is what do we need in terms of making a viable team from the forest.

The player should have had two rival battles today, and I know we are implementing an enemy team battle in the woods at one venture as proposed back in the last town's discussion. I would imagine though we would have quite a number of battlers (like Viridian Forest correct me if I'm wrong had at least 5 in one section) so we are certainly gonna have a good amount of battles here.

How about we deal with it similar to like Weavile. We make it so that way a Pokemon with Metal Coat (and King's Rock and stuff) can evolve when it levels up in some situation with it attached.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Pokemon Proposal:
Joltik
Normal Grass
Lv.5-7

Galvantula is a great electric type with only 2 weaknesses, has decent SpA and Spe stats and Sticky Web. While newbies may not care about the little damage output of stealth rock early game(since mostly 1st gyms have rock/ground types), they'll appreciate the speed drop a lot i think.

The core specifics will be posted by Cho soon but in meantime lets look at some of the suggested Pokémon.

We have gathered Joltik, Shroomish (this is being brought back from Lady Salamence's prior nomination for Route 1 and Yayz), Larvesta, Venipede, and Foonguss. While they all look nice, what would you see the trainers that we would be adding to this route using in their teams? I would imagine the last trainer we would use a Larvesta, but yalls thoughts?

I personally don't like Larvesta. It takes too long to be useful and it looks like it won't appear on early routes. I would think Shroomish, Venipede, and Foonguss would be best.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
i agree that larvesta is a bad option. it take too long to evolve, i think trainers will dump it in the pc and remember ages later when they are super bored that they should try to evolve it. may be it could appear later, or maybe volcarona itself may be accessible later on, but for now i think that larvesta shouldn't be there

I think that for trade evolutions, we should be able to trade with an NPC who will give us an exact copy of our Pokemon back, down to the OT, ID, and held item. It's a bit weird, but it'd work.
Alternatively, we turn the required held items into "stones". That'd probably be simpler...

*looks at Larvesta's level up movepool*

A pre-evo with it's highest level move at level 100... wtf GF? wtf? And I thought EP Probopass was dumb. But yeah, the awkward as heck stat change upon evolving combined with crap movepool for 90% of the game makes Larvesta look really bad.

Anyway, I believe we should have at least one trainer before the forest proper since we have not had one yet, so allow me to propose one.

Trainer Proposal: Schoolgirl Jane

Introduction: I learned about the Fire-Water-Grass core in school today and decided to try it out for myself, let me show you!

Team:

Azurill
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 5
Modest Nature
- Water Gun

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Tackle

Shroomish
Ability: Poison Heal
Relaxed Nature
- Absorb
- Tackle

Lose Quote: Well, it WILL be a FWG core when I train them more!

Victory Quote: This core really does work!

Post Battle Quote: A good core is one where your allies weaknesses are all covered by your teammates. See what you can come up with!

Basically, this girl is mostly there to ensure that 1. you actually have caught a pokemon or two already and 2. to serve as a small level check to ensure that you did a bit of training. Azurill and Shroomrish ensure that you cannot simply troll your way through with Golette, and her mons are plenty powerful enough to ensure that your starter will have difficulty forcing it's way through on it's own.

Last edited:
*looks at Larvesta's level up movepool*

A pre-evo with it's highest level move at level 100... wtf GF? wtf? And I thought EP Probopass was dumb. But yeah, the awkward as heck stat change upon evolving combined with crap movepool for 90% of the game makes Larvesta look really bad.

Anyway, I believe we should have at least one trainer before the forest proper since we have not had one yet, so allow me to propose one.

Trainer Proposal: Schoolgirl Jane

Introduction: I learned about the Fire-Water-Grass core in school today and decided to try it out for myself, let me show you!

Team:

Azurill
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Water Gun

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Tackle

Shroomish
Ability: Poison Heal
Relaxed Nature
- Absorb
- Tackle

Lose Quote: Hmmm, maybe I need to train more

Victory Quote: This core really does work!

Post Battle Quote: A good core is one where your allies weaknesses are all covered by your teammates. See what you can come up with!

Basically, this girl is mostly there to ensure that 1. you actually have caught a pokemon or two already and 2. to serve as a small level check to ensure that you did a bit of training. Azurill and Shroomrish ensure that you cannot simply troll your way through with Golette, and her mons are plenty powerful enough to ensure that your starter will have difficulty forcing it's way through on it's own.
Fletchling isn't a Fire-type and Azurill isn't a water type. ._.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
i don't remember NPC's saying anything when they won. After losing we were simply sent back to the las pokemon centre/our house with the "Scurried back...dropped some money..." thingy

For movepools, I think we should be allowed to give trainers access to weaker egg moves at the start of the game, as well as TMs after the first gym, especially as you start with a perfect EV spread on your starter pokemon. If we stick to only level up moves, then the first few routes aren't going to be very interesting or strategic.

This proposal might be against the spirit of the game (in that it's not a set you'd ever run competitively), but a set like this could make an early trainer battle more interesting. Any thoughts?

Venonat @ Occa Berry
Ability: Compound Eyes
Adamant Nature
- Disable
- Tackle
- Screech

I had almost forgotten bout Venonat....it could be used as a trainer's mon and even catchable. Just that's the extant of its movepool at around lvl 5-12?l (going off idea that they will be stronger with being used by a trainer and all).

I had almost forgotten bout Venonat....it could be used as a trainer's mon and even catchable. Just that's the extant of its movepool?
If Bulbapedia is correct, it starts with Tackle, Disable and Foresight, and I wanted to use Disable as it could force switches if you only have one attacking move. I've removed Foresight as you won't have a Ghost type yet (edit: Oops, forgot about the random Golett), and the move is pretty useless on anything without Rapid Spin. Screech is an egg move. I was also considering the same set with Toxic Spikes over Screech, although that might be a bit too much. Charmander gets Ember at Level 7, and although I haven't calced, I assume that without the Occa Berry, it would OHKO.

Edit: it learns Supersonic at Level 5 and Confusion at Level 11. For egg moves, I think one of Bug Bite, Screech or Toxic Spikes would be okay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)