SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Discussion

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi All,

With less than 24 hours until the demo ~~Officially~~ Launches in Japan and Australia, I am making this thread for you guys to discuss and compare how your experiences went. I expect cant say will be staying up late to take a look into things (and look after this thread while I am sleeping).

Bring up anything you like here, pictures of new stuff would be brilliant or a brief synopsis for people. I will be adding interesting things people find into the OP to keep track of stuff.

Have fun with the new demo!

EDIT: 1910 BST 17th October 2016

A German Youtube Channel has uploaded some gameplay of the Demo. ** Video is now private as of 1921**

Reuploaded as of 2000 on a new channel:
Taken down as of 1300 BST 19/10/2016

Thanks to TheMantyke for this:

So According to GameXplain, People were able to capture a Pikachu and equip the wild one with a Z stone. When used with Nuzzle, Gigavolt Havoc became 100 Base Power and was Physical.

This confirms that the attack stat used for damage calculation correlates to the move being powered up. therefore, Z moves can have a wide range of damage from 100-200+.
When you catch a pokemon with a full party, you now can choose whether to send it to the PC (or the nature equivalent of the PC) or swap it out with a member of your party. Pretty nice.
Apparently Paralyze has also been "increased" to 50% speed and not 25%

I know have the demo too!

Hau'Oli City is the name of one of the first towns!

Last edited:
For when the demo comes out, lets try to see what you can learn about z moves. It could very well be just a stylized gem replacement, or it could be completely different if it turns out to have priority akin to mega evolutions and can bypass protect. Would be very interesting to see!

For when the demo comes out, lets try to see what you can learn about z moves. It could very well be just a stylized gem replacement, or it could be completely different if it turns out to have priority akin to mega evolutions and can bypass protect. Would be very interesting to see!
Status Z-Moves like Eevee's signature Z-Move already make this more than just Gems 2.0.

I imagine we *wont* be in Alola, in the sense that I doubt the demo goes around the main four island.

However I don't know what to expect.

They don't need to do anything like that to all Z-moves to help them. Odds are they are going to make the moves good inherently so it wouldn't need anything special. (Imagine if the Ice-type Z-move is a 100% Freeze status move. Would you really want that to have super priority or bypass all means to stop it?)

I imagine we *wont* be in Alola, in the sense that I doubt the demo goes around the main four island.

However I don't know what to expect.
If it is anything like the ORAS demo then we will probably remain mostly in one town and maybe venture out to various spots. Or we get Something similar to the demo that the game journalists got to play with.

I certainly agree with you Project_Mars, but GameFreak isn't one for balance. I mean, the Parental Bond nerf is promising that they care, but they also lack the knowledge for long term balance.

I'm honestly not that much into Ash-Greninja, but I'll take it. I'm mostly a sucker for all the lore and maybe a few things I haven't seen yet.

If we're lucky, we get to see all fully evolved starters since the ORAS demo gave us them as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well I can tell you one thing, we're not going to be told if Protect blocks Z-Moves. I think people are expecting maybe too much from this demo, it's only meant to give us a taste of the new features, not reveal any depth to them. What I'm expecting:
  • We'll get to use the Sun & Moon Starter's mid evolutions, like we did in the ORAS demo from the Hoenn Starters (convenient they were revealed right before the demo).
  • Them or other Pokemon we may get to use will be holding the Z-Crystals of their type.
  • We'll be staying on one part of Melemele Island or Akele Island. We'll be blocked off from progressing anywhere significant.
  • In addition to Z-Moves we'll get to try out Pokemon Finder (confirmed), Pokemon Refresh, some Poke Rides, and the Rotom Dex (with missing/locked features). We may also go through a mock Trial and toss Pyukumuku back into the sea.
  • We'll get Ash-Greninja and other items to send to the main game.
While there will be battles not sure if they'll just be around the island or you got to go somewhere specific. Eitherway I'm going to keep my expectations low. Not that I won't be excited, just I'm not expecting them slicing off a chunk of the game. This demo is constructed to show exactly what we want to see but leave us wanting more.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
If it is anything like the ORAS demo then we will probably remain mostly in one town and maybe venture out to various spots. Or we get Something similar to the demo that the game journalists got to play with.
The journalists got to play the actual finished game. We are getting the demo which is likely to be very different. It will definitely be more like ORAS' demo than whatever the Journos got so they can "control" what we see a lot better.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what sort of things can we expect to be data mined from the demo? What was data mined from the ORAS demo? I know we got all the trainers and their pokemon, and the amount of megas. Would we get movepools, stats, anything like that?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what sort of things can we expect to be data mined from the demo? What was data mined from the ORAS demo? I know we got all the trainers and their pokemon, and the amount of megas. Would we get movepools, stats, anything like that?
Yes, movepools and stats were revealed, they were in fact the bulk of it too, it was mostly numbers.

With that being said, anybody know if the demo is confirmed to have a midnight release? I've seen people say it will be added in japans afternoon time on the 18th, not midnight.

I've heard that the demo is getting released at your time zone's midnight, so that means it's coming out in approx 8 hours geez I'm bad at dates 24 hours EST?

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've heard that the demo is getting released at your time zone's midnight, so that means it's coming out in approx. 8 hours EST now?
There might be a pacific island where thats true but I doubt it. New Zealand is currently at GMT+13 (9:30AM), Australia (well, NSW) is at GMT+11 (7:30AM) and Japan is currently at GMT+9 (5:30AM).

Is there any reliable source that says the demo will be available at 12am of each time zone?
Sadly no. One can only hope...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Pretty much everything. IIRC the only thing that was still up in the air was how mega rayquaza evolved.

Pokemon with movepools, abilities, and stats. Trainer data was by location in location order, (i.e. all of the resturant trainers were with the other trainers you fought in Mauville in the center of the trainer data) so story stuff could be gleaned from that (it was fairly easy to guess Zinnia's role) On top of that, iirc we got map data, text strings, trainer portraits, and I believe some songs.

Wait, we got ALL the mons and their stats/movepools/evolution lines/etc. from the XY/ORAS demos?

Damn, that's awesome.

Wait, we got ALL the mons and their stats/movepools/evolution lines/etc. from the XY/ORAS demos?

Damn, that's awesome.
Only the ORAS demo, after the release of XY it took what felt like ages for everyone to figure out the base stats of the new Pokémon. As far as I know people hadn't figured out how to hack the games yet.

Only the ORAS demo, after the release of XY it took what felt like ages for everyone to figure out the base stats of the new Pokémon. As far as I know people hadn't figured out how to hack the games yet.
Do we have any indication that the Sun/Moon demo will be like the ORAS demo or the XY demo (I remember people took a long time to figure out the stats for the new mons in XY too)?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do we have any indication that the Sun/Moon demo will be like the ORAS demo or the XY demo (I remember people took a long time to figure out the stats for the new mons in XY too)?
No, all we know is that you get use Ash-greninja in the sumo demo and play around with some functions lie pokefinder that's pretty much it. XY took so long because back in 2013 the 3DS hadn't been cracked to the degree it has been now, also we didn't have an easily accessible e-shop XY demo just one you could play at certain events they held to promote the games.

No, all we know is that you get use Ash-greninja in the sumo demo and play around with some functions lie pokefinder that's pretty much it. XY took so long because back in 2013 the 3DS hadn't been cracked to the degree it has been now, also we didn't have an easily accessible e-shop XY demo just one you could play at certain events they held to promote the games.
I remember so many of the games like Pokemon X&Y and Fire Emblem Awakening that we used empirical results to calculate out stats and other things that weren't easy to find.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Pretty much everything. IIRC the only thing that was still up in the air was how mega rayquaza evolved.
We also couldn't tell if Hoopa-U was a mega evolution or not to.

Oh and please reveal this girls name, shes so cute ;-;

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)