SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Full Game Story Spoiler Discussion (Read the OP)

Is Kukui champion or not? I thought he was but I also heard that he just battles you last and isn't actually champion, so I wanted to know for sure?
He is the first challenger for your tittle, you are the champion and you have a shitty gen1 pandering score that never changes no matter who you battle with theme.

No Kukui isn't the champion, you are.

He is the first challenger for your tittle, you are the champion and you have a shitty gen1 pandering score that never changes no matter who you battle with theme.

Don't mind the theme honestly. It's a classic trope for the intro theme to be the final boss theme but remixed. You being the champion while others are challengers is a cool touch though.

Don't mind the theme honestly. It's a classic trope for the intro theme to be the final boss theme but remixed.
I don't mind it in most games and Anime.

But this is gen1 pandering using a soundfront that doesn't fit with the region instruments.

It basically stole from this region to use the gen1 tittle screen, I can't compare without spoiling so check all the music that plays where this one draws inspiration, it's still gen1 pandering.

Stella Glow pulls this great with Hikari Metamorphosis given how the final boss works in its second stage, Pokémon just drops the ball completely and leaves you with non tension music on a boss fight.

It's is made worse as even if characters with their own music challenge you they lose it for the orchestrated version of gen1 "spoiler" music.

But this is gen1 pandering using a soundfront that doesn't fit with the region instruments.

It basically stole from this region to use the gen1 tittle screen, I can't compare without spoiling so check all the music that plays where this one draws inspiration, it's still gen1 pandering.

Stella Glow pulls this great with Hikari Metamorphosis given how the final boss works in its second stage, Pokémon just drops the ball completely and leaves you with non tension music on a boss fight.

It's is made worse as even if characters with their own music challenge you they lose it for the orchestrated version of gen1 "spoiler" music.
Considering it's the 20th anniversary of the series, it is nothing BUT fitting for the Champion theme to be an orchestrated version of the first theme in the first games in the series. What goes around, comes around. Fits with how "Aloha" which is what the region is named(And the phrase every character uses....)after obviously means both "Hello" and Goodbye". It's a good expression of that and I love it for it.

Granted I don't understand why the rematches don't have the battle themes for the people you're facing in particular but w/e.

I don't mind the Pokémon Theme being used as the Champion theme, but Norne has a point: Why didn't they give the important characters their theme? I don't know if Trial Captains have a theme or not, but Gladion and Plumeria do (don't know if Guzma, Faba and others challenge you here). Maybe they should have only used that song with Kukui, Ryuki, Tristan and the Steel guy, and give Hau, the captains (if they have one) and Team Skull their own respective themes.

how is it gen1 pandering when it's based on a theme that's been used in every single main game lmao

how is it gen1 pandering when it's based on a theme that's been used in every single main game lmao
Remixed, this is the most vanilla remix.

It lacks johto percussions, pace of RSE, cuts in theme of gen 4,it is brutally different from gen 5 and its slower than gen 6 version.

Basically its a gen1 tittle theme remix, it fucking lacks the instruments of gen7 tittle remix making it a full gen1 orchestrated version, go and compare them.

As I said in my post, Aloha means both Hello and Goodbye. The title screen being re orchestrated and made into the 'Champion' battle theme is a really nice touch and makes thematic sense.

Still don't see why the challengers couldn't have their own theme play. I know it's technically the Player's theme but still...

But most times, it is used on the title screen, not on a battle theme
doesn't stop it from being in ever main line because it's the series theme

honestly when i saw "gen 1 pandering" and "champion theme" i thought it was going to be another remix of Blue's theme so at least this is novel.

doesn't stop it from being in ever main line because it's the series theme

honestly when i saw "gen 1 pandering" and "champion theme" i thought it was going to be another remix of Blue's theme so at least this is novel.
New doesn't mean good, put Pokémon title screen on a FF battle and it will be shit, put Hikaro no metamorphosis in a boss fight in almost any JRPG and you got yourself a good boss fight.

Im not ripping it a new asshole for being bad, honestly it's a good orchestrated version, the fact that they try to sell it as a boss fight is the insult.

I made an account here just to argue this point, as it is just so absurd to me. That intro melody is literally part of the Pokemon main theme:

It's also used in Gen 1:

Gen 3:

Gen 4:

Gen 5:

Gen 6:

Calling this "gen 1 pandering" is like calling the existence of Pokemon centers gen 1 pandering.

Also, the reason that the same theme is used is (probably) because that music is YOUR theme, seeing as you are the champion.

New doesn't mean good, put Pokémon title screen on a FF battle and it will be shit, put Hikaro no metamorphosis in a boss fight in almost any JRPG and you got yourself a good boss fight.

Im not ripping it a new asshole for being bad, honestly it's a good orchestrated version, the fact that they try to sell it as a boss fight is the insult.
Understandable, in any other circumstance I'd say it wouldn't fit at all. But going further into the point I made about Aloha meaning both Hello and Goodbye; who was the person that introduced you to the region? Kukui. It makes perfect sense for it to be Champion theme and it works for that battle alone.

Still like Cynthia/Blue's one more personally though. Granted I go gaga over any Sinnoh battle theme but that's besides the point. It is a battle theme that is EXTREMELY fitting for the situation it's originally used in. For the rest, it's eh, similar to Palmer in DP using Cynthia's track.

Thanks for posting them, now people can see them easily, I was already making a post with all of them. You missed gen 2 though.

Now it's more glaringly obvious to wich version of the tittle screen they are pandering to.

Cue it's the gen 1 version with small pace changes as of the third.

However the musical instruments don't fit any of the musical scores in Gen 7, there are similarities in 4 parts of the game, but the musical dissonance is big.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting them, now people can see them easily, I was already making a post with all of them.

Now it's more glaringly obvious to wich version of the tittle screen they are pandering to.

Cue it's the gen 1 version.
I mean, if you want to just go ahead an ignore the fact that it's LITERALLY THE SAME SEQUENCE OF NOTES in EVERY SINGLE GAME, then fine, I guess it's gen 1 pandering.

Also, I can't believe they keep using that same victory music, healing music, pokemon center music, and various other jingles - all this gen 1 pandering, man!

I mean, if you want to just go ahead an ignore the fact that it's LITERALLY THE SAME SEQUENCE OF NOTES in EVERY SINGLE GAME, then fine, I guess it's gen 1 pandering.

Also, I can't believe they keep using that same victory music, healing music, pokemon center music, and various other jingles - all this gen 1 pandering, man!
Victory is in front of you. The last Pokémon music in Gen 5 has two versions, it's a remix of gen 1 music, however the instruments change a lot.

Unova has gyms that have similar music to the gym remix, however they changed them on each to fit their theme.

So tell me, who did the remix to fit the game instruments and personality better?

You can make gen1 tribute music just right, but when it fucking detracts from the new game personality or fucks with the tension building in the game, well...It is a poor design choice.

Victory is in front of you. The last Pokémon music in Gen 5 has two versions, it's a remix of gen 1 music, however the instruments change a lot.

Unova has gyms that have similar music to the gym remix, however they changed them on each to fit their theme.

So tell me, who did the remix to fit the game instruments and personality better?

You can make gen1 tribute music just right, but when it fucking detracts from the new game personality or fucks with the tension building in the game, well...It is a poor design choice.
Remixing part of the Pokemon main theme into the "final" battle of a Pokemon game isn't a bad design choice imo - it's thematic. It's ESPECIALLY nice when you consider that the rest of the champion theme in SM is a remix of the "theme of Alola," thereby making it even more thematic. The greatest video game composers of all time, such as Koji Kondo, are amazing at working with musical motifs such as these. I mean, is a remix of the Zelda theme at the end of Skyward Sword "NES pandering??" Of course not.

Wouldn't call it a poor design choice. Gen 1 pandering is when you literally slap on the gen 1 Champion theme with no remix or anything that makes it different and unique without a good reason. I personally find that thematic wise, the theme fits in perfectly. Saying that an orchestrated version of what is the most iconic theme in the series detracts from a fight that is the finale of the game against the VERY person that introduced you to the region is weird. Granted this is all subjective and based on opinion so take it as you will.

Last edited:
Remixing part of the Pokemon main theme into the "final" battle of a Pokemon game isn't a bad design choice imo - it's thematic. It's ESPECIALLY nice when you consider that the rest of the champion theme in SM is a remix of the "theme of Alola," thereby making it even more thematic. The greatest video game composers of all time, such as Koji Kondo, are amazing at working with musical motifs such as these. I mean, is a remix of the Zelda theme at the end of Skyward Sword "NES pandering??" Of course not.
One game that pulls this off is also Spirit tracks from the Zelda series, however the remix is a battle one, this sadly isn't nor attempts to be. It just freaking plays during all of the tittle defence battles often obscuring character battle music.

It's a poor design choice for a battle theme.

Thematic wise for an encounter or a room this would be great and even make me pause like N Castle Bridge did, battle wise it falls flat and amounts to nothing more than gen1 pandering.

Even if it has the notes, even if it has another song mixed in, the instruments are not Alola centric as a composition.

They dropped the ball hard for one of the most iconic moments of a region.

Wish we could choose our own battle theme though, like you can with Wifi battles. It gets repetitive more than anything.

Wish we could choose our own battle theme though, like you can with Wifi battles. It gets repetitive more than anything.
Even with the excuse of it being our theme as champion, actually choosing one would have been sweet, just like being influenced into new poses and throwing ball styles.

One game that pulls this off is also Spirit tracks from the Zelda series, however the remix is a battle one, this sadly isn't nor attempts to be. It just freaking plays during all of the tittle defence battles often obscuring character battle music.

It's a poor design choice for a battle theme.

Thematic wise for an encounter or a room this would be great and even make me pause like N Castle Bridge did, battle wise it falls flat and amounts to nothing more than gen1 pandering.

Even if it has the notes, even if it has another song mixed in, the instruments are not Alola centric as a composition.

They dropped the ball hard for one of the most iconic moments of a region.
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Even with the excuse of it being our theme as champion, actually choosing one would have been sweet, just like being influenced into new poses and throwing ball styles.
I agree with this, would've been nice to have the option. At least we can use any battle theme we want in the Battle Tree.

On another note(Or a similar one..)What's your favourite theme in the soundtrack guys?
Personally it's a mixup between either Vast Poni Canyon or Guzma's battle theme. Glorious pieces of work they are...

i've tried not to watch too many of the big battles & events, but does the legendaries trailer theme ever play in the game

its so nice

i've tried not to watch too many of the big battles & events, but does the legendaries trailer theme ever play in the game

its so nice
I don't think so (I don't remember hearing it when listening to the OST), but we have a link to the full OST playlist in the OP if you want to check for yourself (they are just the songs themselves; no video).

But yeah, I liked that track, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)