Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Sorry, you've left me slightly confused there... can the old Forme change Abilities such as Forecast and Zen Mode be overwritten in Gen 7 or only in Gen 6?
Sorry that was definitely unclear: Unless I'm forgetting any, every single forme change ability from Gen 6 and back has the same mechanics as Gen 6. Ex Zen Mode still can't be overwritten, but Forecast and Flower Gift still can.

Does the dark type Z move scale off of a double powered payback if the mon using it goes last or does it scale off the standard base power?
Nope. If a pokemon holds Darkinium Z and uses payback with it, the move will simply turn into Black Hole Eclipse and instead, have a base power of only 100, moving last or not.

Hi, not sure where to ask or if its already been clarified so feel free to delete.
I've been testing some mechanics regarding z moves and I think I found an error. I used encore, and even though it was written to allow the option to z power, for some reason it was allowed to z power when the z crystal didn't match typing. Is this a glitch? http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-489609615 I just got the cartridge today and I'm not far enough in the game to actually test this on the DS. If this isn't some kind of program error, please I would love it if I could better understand.

Does Nature's Madness round up or down if the current
HP is odd? What about the Z-move version when it is not a multiple of 4?

If I switch a Tapu not named Fini in on Misty Surge while it's statused, will the terrain cure the status before being changed?

Does Instruct work if the target is asleep? Does it work if the target is frozen? If it does, does the target gain Guts or Facade boosts, or can it remove its status via Psycho Shift? Speaking of Psycho Shift, does it work if the user has Comatose? Speaking of Comatose, if your active ally has that Ability, does it still assist in a Beat Up? (I think someone already asked about Purify against Comatose.)

Does Nature's Madness round up or down if the current
HP is odd? What about the Z-move version when it is not a multiple of 4?

If I switch a Tapu not named Fini in on Misty Surge while it's statused, will the terrain cure the status before being changed?
super fang/nature's madness damage rounds down. a target with 3 HP will take 1 damage and be left with 2 HP

misty terrain does not cure status, it just prevents them from being applied

Z-Lunar dance and Z-Healing Wish are listed as having no Z-status effect on Bulbapedia, and on Serebii they're simply absent from the Z-status moves list. What happens when you attempt to use these Z-moves?

I've been wondering... you know how Mold Breaker does NOT break Shadow Shield/Prism Armor/Full Metal Body? What about Turboblaze/Teravolt. The 3 aforementioned abilities are learned by Legendary Pokémon (Lunala, Necrozma, Solgaleo, respectively). The things they clone are learned by NON-Legendaries (Filter on Aggron, Clear Body on Metagross, etc.), so I figured that since Teravolt and Turboblaze are learned by Legendaries (Kyurem White/Black and Reshiram/Zekrom), they might be "one-ups" of Mold Breaker. This has been impossible to test until now since until Gen 7, no moves have been immune to Mold Breaker. It would be interesting to see if they did, and it could breath new life into Kyurem-Formes and Reshiram/Zekrom.

Z-Lunar dance and Z-Healing Wish are listed as having no Z-status effect on Bulbapedia, and on Serebii they're simply absent from the Z-status moves list. What happens when you attempt to use these Z-moves?
I'm fairly sure they don't have an effect, but I'm just reading off of what Showdown says, and not the cartridge, so I might be wrong.

I've been wondering... you know how Mold Breaker does NOT break Shadow Shield/Prism Armor/Full Metal Body? What about Turboblaze/Teravolt. The 3 aforementioned abilities are learned by Legendary Pokémon (Lunala, Necrozma, Solgaleo, respectively). The things they clone are learned by NON-Legendaries (Filter on Aggron, Clear Body on Metagross, etc.), so I figured that since Teravolt and Turboblaze are learned by Legendaries (Kyurem White/Black and Reshiram/Zekrom), they might be "one-ups" of Mold Breaker. This has been impossible to test until now since until Gen 7, no moves have been immune to Mold Breaker. It would be interesting to see if they did, and it could breath new life into Kyurem-Formes and Reshiram/Zekrom.
Already tested. Sadly, no, Teravolt and Turboblaze still do nothing special.

Ema Skye

Work!
Are Grass/Electric/Psychic-typed Hidden Power/Judgement/Multi-Attack boosted by Grassy/Electric/Psychic Terrains, respectively?

Are Grass/Electric/Psychic-typed Hidden Power/Judgement/Multi-Attack boosted by Grassy/Electric/Psychic Terrains, respectively?
I don't see why they wouldn't be, this probably also applies to Nature Power when it changes to a respective move

I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet. How does Contrary work with Spectral Thief? I know it's only supposed to grab positive stat changes, but does it flip those around? Consider the following scenarios:

Opponent uses Overheat, does Contrary Spectral Thief turn the special attack drop into a boost?
Opponent uses Swords Dance, does Contrary Spectral Thief turn the attack boost into a drop?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Z-Destiny Bond's Follow Me-like effect does not carry over between turns. The usual KOing effect does carry over, though. If another Pokemon on the side of the Z-Destiny Bond user uses Follow Me the same turn as Z-Destiny Bond, attacks are still redirected towards the Z-Destiny Bond user (just like the slowest Follow Me will be the one that actually redirects the attack).

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Rocky Helmet still allows the holder to win in "both Pokémon faint in the same turn" situations, as long as it was the effect that caused the final damage. Better hope you faint to Rough Skin/Iron Barbs before Rocky Helmet kicks in! Credit to DragonWhale for pointing out this tweet to me: https://twitter.com/cabipara/status/803932269693931520.

I expect either a patch or a regulation change in the near future.

I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet. How does Contrary work with Spectral Thief? I know it's only supposed to grab positive stat changes, but does it flip those around? Consider the following scenarios:

Opponent uses Overheat, does Contrary Spectral Thief turn the special attack drop into a boost?
Opponent uses Swords Dance, does Contrary Spectral Thief turn the attack boost into a drop?
This isn't a direct confirmation but logic dictates this: Spectral Thief should behave sort of like Psych Up, where it merely copies the stat changes. Because it's copying the changes and not actually generating a "red power up / blue power down" animation, there is no Contrary reversal.

I'm fairly sure they don't have an effect, but I'm just reading off of what Showdown says, and not the cartridge, so I might be wrong.
Wait so are Healing Wish and Lunar Dance literally the only moves in the game that don't have corresponding Z-moves, with the exception of those that call other moves like Metronome and Assist?

This isn't a direct confirmation but logic dictates this: Spectral Thief should behave sort of like Psych Up, where it merely copies the stat changes. Because it's copying the changes and not actually generating a "red power up / blue power down" animation, there is no Contrary reversal.
Yea, but Psych Up copies stat reductions along with stat boosts. The first post in this thread says that Spectral Thief only copies boosts, so I'm curious if Contrary inverts things? I have no way of testing this, and it could only be feasible in something like hackmons, but I was curious if it had been tested.

Double checking, but psychic Terrain blocks Triage Floral Healing, right?
It didn't fail when the ally was the target (every pokemon on the field was grounded), but when you target an opponent, it does fail. The Psychic Terrain message takes priority over the HP is full message.

Yea, but Psych Up copies stat reductions along with stat boosts. The first post in this thread says that Spectral Thief only copies boosts, so I'm curious if Contrary inverts things? I have no way of testing this, and it could only be feasible in something like hackmons, but I was curious if it had been tested.
Contrary causes any boosted stats on the target (i.e. Swords dance) to become stat drops upon stealing. It does not steal negative stats.

Just to be clear, this isn't a special property of Floral Healing or anything. You can freely hit your allies with priority moves even during Psychic Terrain.
Tested O-wing, Strength sap (triage), swagger, taunt, and heal pulse (prankster) all work in psychic terrain on allies only. Also, ally dark types can be hit by a status move used by a prankster user (used the same 3 moves).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)