1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokemon Switching Statistics - August 2009

Discussion in 'Pokémetrics' started by Cathy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Cathy

Cathy

These are some new statistics which I decided to compile today based on battles completed on the Smogon Shoddy Battle server during the month of August 2009. These statistics give you some insight into switching trends, an area we previously had not looked at with statistics.

There are numerous different definitions of a "switch in" that one could construct, but I've selected the one that was the simplest to implement: Except for at the start of the battle, whenever one player sends out a new pokemon X (including through Baton Pass and U-turn), if there is a pokemon Y on the opponent's side of the field, then we say that pokemon X switched into pokemon Y. I call pokemon X the subject of the switch in and pokemon Y the object of the switch in.

We can sort the switch in statistics both by subject and by object. Given a particular pokemon X, the statistics sorted by subject tell you the most common pokemon that pokemon X switches into. Similarly, given a particular pokemon X, the statistics sorted by object tell you the most common pokemon who switch into pokemon X. I've attempted to avoid confusion by placing some clarifying English throughout the stats pages, but I suggest you read this paragraph very carefully so you understand exactly what statistics we are talking about.

Here is an example on how to interpret this data. This is an excerpt from the statistics sorted by subject showing you the most common pokemon that Gyarados switches into on the Standard ladder:

This means that in August 2009, Gyarados switched into Scizor 12166 times, which was 7.12% of all switches in which Gyarados was the subject.

Without further ado, here are the statistics pages. Warning: These pages are very large and may take some time to load.

Standard ladder sorted by subject (5 MB)
    Standard ladder sorted by object (5 MB)

Ubers ladder sorted by subject (768 KB)
    Ubers ladder sorted by object (756 KB)

Underused ladder sorted by subject (2.5 MB)
    Underused ladder sorted by object (2.5 MB)

Enjoy!
  2. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

token thanks

^ :toast:. but seriously this is great. it's really fun to look through them and see which switches are "duh, of course" and which are "woah didn't see that coming" (unsurprisingly the majority are the former)... it's sort of like getting a snapshot of the ou/uu metagame. thanks a lot :)
  3. Xaqwais

Xaqwais

Awesome, Colin. Thanks! This really helps for teams who try to base off a late game sweeper. You see what you have to worry the most about. Good to see real results, not just theory.
  4. ultimifier

ultimifier

holy fuck colin. you are amazing
  5. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

These are so awesome and useful. Thanks!

Anyways one thing I noticed immediately.....
    WHY?

Blaziken ALWAYS 2HKOes Slowbro with Fire Blast + Hidden Power. Why switch into something that will 2HKO you most of the time?
  6. TheFourthChaser

TheFourthChaser #TimeForChange
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Wow Colin this is awesome, great job. I hope we can see more of these like we do with the Smogon Shoddy Stats.
  7. familyguyman

familyguyman

Good stuff Colin!
  8. ChristovaOnIce

ChristovaOnIce

This is an excellent compilation. Now I have something to read when I'm not reading server stats!

....It seems like a lot of people switch Scizor into absolutely everything.
  9. Staraptor Call

Staraptor Call

Great stats. But who are these people switching Breloom, Smeargle, and Azelf into Scizor? People having their teams swept?
  10. familyguyman

familyguyman

Could be Azelf going into Superpower after a power drop. Could be Breloom going into CB Pursuit. Could be Smeargle being the last pokemon or having a Focus Sash and aiming to Spore or something.
  11. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

great idea colin

as mentioned on irc, i think accounting for revenge killing would be good, as well as some way to balance overall usage.. scizor switches in on everything partly because it's everpresent in OU!
  12. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Awesome stuff Colin. As stated, it helps in planning a late-game sweep, and these further emphasize that Registeel, Milotic, and Chansey are the only real switch ins to Yanmega.

These include Revenge Kills as well, iirc. So Slowbro is certainly a viable switch if it has good health.
  13. mtr

mtr

Great idea, but

2. Scizor - 4.29% (2867) for switching into Hippowdon...

WHY?!
  14. Salt1

Salt1

This is very comprehensive and allow people to see what pokemon are most used to check another.

Scizor being the most common switch in on Salamence is quite odd, as almost all forms of Salamence carry Fire Blast, so provided you predict accordingly you may have knocked out the opponents besy=t way to revenge Salamence, but most Mence Draco Metoer or Dragon Dance turn 1, so Scizor is a relatively decent switch in.

Latias being the second, completely contradicts what I just said.

Salamence and Scizor being the most common Lucario switch ins is odd, but it is generally because:

- bothe of these are around lategame

- they are the most used, and so have a better chance of being on every team compared to others, and therefore a more likely chance of switching in

Stats are very good though

Scizor wouldve been locked into Pursuit or Super Power in most of these cases.
  15. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Guys, you're forgetting that this takes into account Revenge Killing as well!
  16. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Good job Colin. Let's see what I can envisage with this data...
  17. d2m

d2m

I'm gonna use this...tomorrow ( or later today depending). The fact that Milotic is 1-3 on nearly every offensive threat in UU bolsters the Defensive Condition case.

Good list.

Also, HeySup: Not only does it not mean that it switches directly into an attack, but Blaziken often telegraphs Superpower, which Slowbro can switch into and not be 2HKO'd and OHKO with any of its 2 STAB moves.
  18. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

It also includes pokemon switched in by use of roar.

Which seems like scizor could be high up in since it is the most used pokemon.

Have a nice day.
  19. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Perhaps it's because people don't ALWAYS switch Slowbro into Fire Blast ;_;
  20. Dekzeh

Dekzeh It's the sound of the world ending.
    is a Pre-Contributor

Or because not all Blazikens are the Mixed LO variety (only 50% of all Blazikens carry HP Grass/Electric)
  21. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Still, 3rd most common switch is a little much for something that will take around 40% when it switches in with a huge likely hood that it'll be 2HKOed from there. Revenge kills considered, Slowbro is still not a great switch.
  22. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

Ah, I asked Colin this on IRC but, unless I skipped it or something, I don't remember getting an answer.

Latias, Heatran's most common switch-in, is 7th on the list of Pokemon that Heatran switches in against. That struck me as a little odd, don't know how often this happens because I just skimmed the stats a bit.
  23. Toaster

Toaster

wow really awesome thanks colin!
  24. DJXO9

DJXO9

Probably because when Heatran switches in, it takes a Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor, and Scarfed variants can attack with Dragon Pulse or Explosion if need be.

Latias switces in because it resists Heatran's main moves Fire Blast/Overheat/Flamethrower and Earth Power. It also resists HP Electric/Grass.

The overall reason is because the two resist each other's main Choice moves.
  25. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

This is great stuff, Colin! I've always wanted to see switching stats. I'm glad you broke it down into two perspectives (subject and object switches); it makes it very easy to find the data I'm interested in. Thanks for doing this!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)