Programming Pokemon Team Generator

@Ranigad my new 5th Gen PKMGenerator provides the user the option to insert a pokemon based on number or name. In the pictures for it, I even inserted pikachu as an example. Also, if you open up that pokemon's data from the "Data" menu, the first tab is called "learned attacks" and that is essentially their moveset. I still should probably include the level at which the learn that attack, but the attacks are in order.

What do you mean by strength/weakness chart? the resistances/weakness of each pokemon or of an attack?

@Ranigad my new 5th Gen PKMGenerator provides the user the option to insert a pokemon based on number or name. In the pictures for it, I even inserted pikachu as an example. Also, if you open up that pokemon's data from the "Data" menu, the first tab is called "learned attacks" and that is essentially their moveset. I still should probably include the level at which the learn that attack, but the attacks are in order.

What do you mean by strength/weakness chart? the resistances/weakness of each pokemon or of an attack?
Oh sorry about that xD apparently I downloaded the older version o3o my bad

A small nit pick, to make it easier on some people, perhaps put the generation in parenthesis next to the region so people can think of the pokemon faster? I was staring at the list for a while before my brain turned on and I was like, oh right, I want this region xD.
I'd still like to see tiering rather than just the legendaries check mark.
Smogon sets like in the previous versions would be lovely.
Speaking of data, maybe instead of having a data option on the menu bar up top, you could have a data button like right above the pokemon box so it's easier to access?
Not sure if that would be difficult. Also to make it easier to add pokemon, perhaps make the name box of the pokemon clickable and then offer a popup where you can choose to add by name or number and then type the name/number in a box beneath it?
Would it be difficult to implement abilities into the generator/search algorithm thing?
The resistances/weakness of each pokemon put together in one chart and maybe make it retractable? o3o Sorta like
http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/team_builder/
cept your own way? Would that be copyright infringement? Is that even copyrighted? o3o
OH and maybe shortcuts xD like spacebar to generate a pokemon for all open slots or something

Just trying to make it easier on the user o3o It's a pretty epic program already xD

thank you for the input. where should I start?

+ The Generation labels are easy to add.
+ The Tiers and Smogon movesets I am reluctant to add, but I think I will eventually add them.
+ The reason that I put the add by name and number in the menu is because I didn't want the program to take up alot of screen space. I think I'll just make a shortcut like "ctrl+3" and "ctrl+N" for them. I feel kinda lazy to make popup windows.
+ What I plan on doing is not only allowing people to search by abilities, but also by attacks (learned, tm's, and egg moves). It is actually pretty simple because of how I choose to store data.
+ Before I do anything with resistances/weakness, I must learn more about pokemon. Dual types always confuse me. So, I have to read about those first.
+ The generate all open slots is a very good idea, I will definately implement it.

I will do all of these additions, BUT... the earliest you can expect them is by winter break, after finals. When you're an engineering major, college is hell.

well, 1 and 2 have pretty much already been implemented in the 5th Gen generator. It shows learned moves, tm's, and egg moves, so you are free to create you own set. Also, you can generate pokemon by name and number.

I already wrote an entire interface and procedure to export teams to PokeLab, but since work on PokeLab has stopped, I currently view it as a dead project and have stopped work on exporting. I looked into the format for Pokemon Online, maybe I'll write something for it, but I don't personally like it.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
TheLion said:
I already wrote an entire interface and procedure to export teams to PokeLab, but since work on PokeLab has stopped, I currently view it as a dead project and have stopped work on exporting.
I wanted to mention that work on PL hasn't actually stopped yet, although it's dramatically slowed down. Cathy has become disinterested, but I've been continuing work on it whenever I get free time.

I would still recommend you look into the PO's format though because I'm certain that will be the standard for a while.

well, 1 and 2 have pretty much already been implemented in the 5th Gen generator. It shows learned moves, tm's, and egg moves, so you are free to create you own set. Also, you can generate pokemon by name and number.

I already wrote an entire interface and procedure to export teams to PokeLab, but since work on PokeLab has stopped, I currently view it as a dead project and have stopped work on exporting. I looked into the format for Pokemon Online, maybe I'll write something for it, but I don't personally like it.

Will the generator take into account type coverage by moves? Say, if I have a water type and it knows a ground type move, will it take into account that electric can be countered and search for something to cover the grass weakness (maybe place it as a higher priority)?

You can export shoddy teams to text and then import them to PO, perhaps you can create an export feature that sets up the same format as the text ones that shoddy provides?

the whole priority search would slow the generator down to an insane level. So, I'm not going to do that.

Yeah, I think i might just export teams in shoddy format, but all these changes are coming late december/early january.

did some updates. added smogon movesets. you can now search by:
+ learned attacks
+ abilities
+ tiers
+ an attack within a smogon moveset!!!

lion I am new here and I have been using your program and I really like it, but one feature I wish it had is that ability to save the generated teams that you create. that's the one thing that most team generators seems to lack I don't want to export them to another program I just want that ability to save that team I have created if this ability is already in the program could you tell me how it works thank you and again I really enjoy your program nice work :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)