SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

It's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, so referencing Kanto more than anyone shouldn't be a huge stretch on its own. Plus the fact that Pokemon GO only references Kanto Pokemon at that time so it honestly isn't that surprising for them to have Kanto pokes to have Alolan forms.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As for Lillie, everyone knows that Bill didn't fuse with a clefairy, he fused with one. Big diffference.
Could you explain what you mean, I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

Yes, he himself fused with a Clefairy, that's why they're going to see him. He was able to completely separate Pokemon and human DNA, that's what they need. It seems like Lusamine hasn't fully unfused with Nihilego, it's venom still running through her (and I'm guessing she must be producing more venom or its now part of her blood? It's never explained how the venom is now part of Lusamine).

It's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, so referencing Kanto more than anyone shouldn't be a huge stretch on its own. Plus the fact that Pokemon GO only references Kanto Pokemon at that time so it honestly isn't that surprising for them to have Kanto pokes to have Alolan forms.
... So when is Johto's anniversary? Or Hoenn's? Or Sinnoh's, Unova's, and might as well throw in Kalos's here too? Are we going to celebrate their anniversary like they did with Kanto's? Answer:

NO!

And THAT'S the problem with the 20th Anniversary focusing so much on Kanto: the other regions aren't going to get that big of a focus for their anniversary (because it would be ridiculous if they celebrated the anniversary of every generation). The 20th Anniversary should have celebrated ALL of Pokemon! Not just Gen I. This makes it look like GF really only cares about Gen I, or at least wanting to milk it for all the gen wunners are worth. Like I want to defend Pokemon whenever someone says its hasn't changed much in 20 years from Gen I, but GF isn't helping me by putting so much focus on Gen I during the 20th Anniversary and having the Alolan Pokemon only be Gen I Pokemon!

It's kind of making me look more forward to Gen VIII simply because it won't be the generation that unfortunately happened on the year of a major anniversary. Like, is gen X or XI going to be just as bad as it'll be around the time of the 30th anniversary?

I decided to look through Bulbapedia's collection of cross generation references to see the amount of references given to each region. On paper you'd be surprised to hear that Kanto and Kalos both got 13 references with Johto and Sinnoh with just under ten. Seems balanced, but I saw a lot of small references listed among major so I decided to dissect through the list and make my own. So this is what I got:

Kanto:
Player moved from Kanto. This was done after your mom had witnessed Kukui's challenge of the Indigo Pokemon League which is mentioned a few times (also counts as a Johto reference as Lance was the Champion whom Kukui battled).
2. Red & Blue are the Battle Tree bosses.
2.5. Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
3.5. Maile Garden has a Nugget Bridge with a reference to the Team Rocket recruitment battles that took place there.
4.5. Lillie & Lusamine go to Kanto to see Bill at the end of the game.
5.5. All Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Samson Oak is also essentially an Alolan Samuel Oak.

Johto:
Heahea City founded by people from Kanto & Johto.
1.5. Maile City founded by people from Johto. Notably Maile Garden has what looks to be a replica of the Brass Tower and lake is in the shape of a Gyarados, possibly a reference to the Lake of Rage.
2.5. Apricorn Poke Balls return.

Hoenn:
Wally is a Battle Tree opponent.
2. Anabel appears as part of the International Police (and Battle Tree opponent). In addition this Anabel is hinted to be the same exact Anabel from Emerald, brought to the Mega Timeline via an Ultra Wormhole.
2.5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding. Also to remind the alien who he was you needed to show him a Solrock/Lunatone.

Sinnoh:
Cynthia is a Battle Tree opponent.

Unova:
Professor Burnet is in the game.
2. Colress is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.
3. Grimsley is in the game and is a Battle Tree opponent.

Kalos:
Dexio & Sina are in the game and are Battle Tree opponent. They also give you a Key Stone to Mega Evolve your Pokemon.
2. Zygarde collecting side quest.
2.5. Hinted Clemont helped make Rotom Dex.
3.5. There's a Sushi High Roller in Maile City.
4.5. Resolution Cave's layout is the same as Terminus Cave.
5. In Haina Desert you meet the alien that gave the five old guys the O-Powers who then later pass it onto Mr. Bonding.

And Kanto BARELY comes out on top (though your definition of what's a major reference may vary and thus alter the list). But still, let's compare the Kanto and Kalos references:

Kanto had two story important references (player being from Kanto and Lillie going to Kanto, sort of bookends of each other) and all the Alolan Pokemon are Gen I Pokemon. Kalos had the Zygarde collecting side quest but really that's the most important one it had.

Still, there will still plenty of references to other regions even if Kanto got the lion's share, so why does it feel like Kanto had more presence. Then it hit me: it had nothing to do with the games. It all had to do with this:

I think the 20th Pokemon Movie being a remake of the first episode of the Pokemon anime really struck a nerve with a lot of people. Yes, many liked the idea, but still this would have been the first movie in Alola but they decided to do something relating to the very start of Pokemon. Which would have been alright... if they didn't change things and start shoving in Pokemon from other gens, notably Marshadow. Marshadow, one of two of Alola's Mythical Pokemon though the only one how got a movie released after Sun & Moon... was instead placed in a Kanto-based movie. Now this is actually more Alola invading a Kanto thing, but still this movie was released during Sun & Moon's run so one could argue it invaded first and if anything the Alola elements appearing in it are fighting back like "NO! This is MY Generation!".

Also I think people's imagination got the best of them with Alolan Pokemon, disappointing them when they were only a handful and all were Gen I Pokemon (and with the games coming out in two weeks its becoming less and less likely there may be more).
If you count the girl from Johto in Malie Library who gives you the TM for Fly (and tells you how HMs are a thing in Johto), that gives Johto the edge, right?

Could you explain what you mean, I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

Yes, he himself fused with a Clefairy, that's why they're going to see him. He was able to completely separate Pokemon and human DNA, that's what they need. It seems like Lusamine hasn't fully unfused with Nihilego, it's venom still running through her (and I'm guessing she must be producing more venom or its now part of her blood? It's never explained how the venom is now part of Lusamine).

... So when is Johto's anniversary? Or Hoenn's? Or Sinnoh's, Unova's, and might as well throw in Kalos's here too? Are we going to celebrate their anniversary like they did with Kanto's? Answer:

NO!

And THAT'S the problem with the 20th Anniversary focusing so much on Kanto: the other regions aren't going to get that big of a focus for their anniversary (because it would be ridiculous if they celebrated the anniversary of every generation). The 20th Anniversary should have celebrated ALL of Pokemon! Not just Gen I. This makes it look like GF really only cares about Gen I, or at least wanting to milk it for all the gen wunners are worth. Like I want to defend Pokemon whenever someone says its hasn't changed much in 20 years from Gen I, but GF isn't helping me by putting so much focus on Gen I during the 20th Anniversary and having the Alolan Pokemon only be Gen I Pokemon!

It's kind of making me look more forward to Gen VIII simply because it won't be the generation that unfortunately happened on the year of a major anniversary. Like, is gen X or XI going to be just as bad as it'll be around the time of the 30th anniversary?
……Thing is, they are celebrating the 20th anniversary of the franchise rather than Kanto's, while Gen I happened to be the starting point of Pokemon. Of course it's gonna get most of the spotlight of the noglasta celebration rather than the younger introductions such as XY and BW (although I do also think that focusing way too much on gen I isn't a very good idea, but at least there is a reason why).
Iconic wise none of these gens will be able to beat Gen I, and as I said before Gen I being the only gen introduced in early Pokemon Go when there were a TON of players, and GF introducing a bunch of Gen I alolan forms not only is an attempt to bring them towards the competitive scene, this is no way just a coincidence.
Quite unfortunately it can be seen as a method of GF trying to attract old dudes to play the 3DS game, but come on man, if no one also enrolled into the game how is this game going to survive the shrinking player base? (And regardless of which Pokemon gaining alolan forms, gen I or not people will still say the same, so why even bother arguing with the non enthusiasts?)
Backfired in some sense (genwunners and the hate it caused etc)? Maybe, but you got to realise they still have to expand the player base instead of just fulfilling regular player's wishes, especially when the player base is shifted from teens to grown ups.

Last edited:
Could I get a clarification on the BIG difference between fuse and fused? This is coming from someone with vertebrae fused.

I don’t understand complaining about Alolan forms being Kanto specific when their existence is due to those Pokémon being imported front Kanto to Alola and becoming invasive species. That is one of the core ideas in this generation, hence the Ultra Beasts.

I’m not sure what isn’t being communicated clearly here.
  • Gen 7’s release was set to simultaneously usher in a new generation of Pokémon while celebrating its anniversary.
  • Pokémon began in the Kanto region.
  • Hence, a lot of throwbacks to Kanto.
  • USUM have already been shown to be a retelling of SM. Why wouldn’t you expect the same Kanto throwbacks? Because it’s a year after the anniversary? It’s not a completely different game.
  • Whether a minor part of the fan base hates it or not, Pokémon has never & will never reach the critical success it had with RGBY. It’s very understandable why a company would celebrate that.
  • People talk about Gamefreak alienating the core fan base like their sales are hurting. Please. We didn’t even have Alola forms a generation ago & now it’s a problem that they don’t exist for all? Anyone remember the same argument about megastones?
At this point that’s all I want to say on the matter. I understand people have their favorite gens or want buffs for their favorite Pokémon, but arguing that Gamefreak is “pandering” is moot at this point. Sit this generation out if you want, but the discussion about it is exhausting.

Anyway, anyone here familiar with alchemy or light? I’m wondering just how manipulating light would work out for Necrozma.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don’t understand complaining about Alolan forms being Kanto specific when their existence is due to those Pokémon being imported front Kanto to Alola and becoming invasive species. That is one of the core ideas in this generation, hence the Ultra Beasts.
What about Johto mons? Alola was just as much settled by people of Johto as it was of Kanto, and Johto is a stones throw away from Kanto.

Considering that all the games take place in regions that are part of the same world, we should be less cynical & surprised that the games acknowledge other regions (which has been a thing since Gen 2). Every person in the world is more or less aware of at least one other country’s presence in their day to day life. It would be stupid to pretend othe regions don’t exist.

Acknowledging other regions is a good thing that enriches the game experience. We would all be complaining if they didn’t do that.

Recurring characters / elements is something present in the majority of media forms.
What really makes no sense is that they never acknowledge regions (and 'mons) we've never seen. It's way too much of a coincidence.

What about Johto mons? Alola was just as much settled by people of Johto as it was of Kanto, and Johto is a stones throw away from Kanto.
Jury is out on them until USUM is released, but I’m not sure if Johto had an equal influence at all. Could be a hint to what we get in USUM or a hint that the VC versions of GSC were coming. Guess we’ll know soon.

What really makes no sense is that they never acknowledge regions (and 'mons) we've never seen. It's way too much of a coincidence.
Not sure if I’m inferring what you’re saying correctly, but Gamefreak's minor inclusions of past characters in different regions is a good way to pique interest in older games from younger players & probably just plain fun for their developers.

They went ALL OUT in the final trailer (good thing they remembered there are other generations than the first one)

Loving the idea of the Battle Agency as well as being able to get the Totem Pokemon for ourselves (I wonder if they will be usable online and if they will be taller as a result).

But I'm REALLY intrigued... at the fact Maxie and Archie use their old designs, and not the ones from ORAS. Are they from the non-Mega timeline, then? Possibly from before BW given Ghetsis does not use his BW2 attires. I'll assume then that Anabel's role will be expanded as well.

Last edited:
Oh my fucking god. Literally what I can think about at that very moment.
So Rainbow Rocket is really the assembly of all bad guys from the previous games (Guzma and Lusamine are not included, surprisingly, and Guzma actually helps the protagonist......so team skull is actually pretty nice I guess).
So many legendaries are returning, and New two is actually under Giovanni's possession. This is gonna be a huge roaster.

Taking apart the new trailer bit by bit:
- You arrive at a wormhole 3,164 lightyears away and feel a very strong power
- You see Mewtwo!
- Beyond the Ultra Hall, become allies with legendary Pokemon!
- Flash to shadows of Lugia and Giratina
- Legendaries show up: Mewtwo, Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Latios, Latias, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Dialga, Palkia, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Regigigas, Cresselia, Heatran, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Yveltal, Xerneas, Zygarde, Mega Mewtwo, and at this point I'm too lazy to continue typing them out
- Team Rainbow Rocket!
- "Team Rocket aimed to use all Pokemon and take over the world... Team Rainbow Rocket will surpass even that!"
- Meowth statue: "INTRUDER ALERT!"
- "Everyone gang up on the intruder!"
- Past bosses
- Lysandre: "Unfortunately, you are not the chosen one!"
- Maxie: "A kid like you who knows nothing!"
- Basically a ton of random dialog
- "I am the leader, Giovanni!"
- Sends out Mewtwo and you wet your pants

I wonder if the “Totem Pokemon” will either have updated stats or an exclusive ability that boosts a stat like Defense one stage upon entering the battle, much like they did in the previous game.

All these legendaries means CHALK’s most likely going to make a resurgence in VGC ‘18, but that could change with Tapu Koko’s and Tapu Fini’s terrains blocking Spore. Either way, I’m glad they’re all catchable.

I’m also intrigued about Maxie and Archie’s designs in this game. Alongside that, could it be possible that they have managed to obtain their respective legendaries (Groudon and Kyogre), much like Giovanni and his Mewtwo?

Some legendaries will be (surprise, surprise), version-exclusive:
Ultra Sun: Ho-Oh, Raikou, Groudon, Latios, Dialga, Heatran, Reshiram, Tornadus, Xerneas,
Ultra Moon: Lugia, Entei, Kyogre, Latias, Palkia, Regigigas, Zekrom, Thundurus, Yveltal,
Both: Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Suicune (needs both Raikou and Entei), Rayquaza (needs both Groudon and Kyogre), Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Giratina (needs both Dialga and Palkia), Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Kyurem (needs both Reshiram and Zekrom), Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Landorus (needs both Tornadus and Thundurus), Zygarde

Last edited:
Some legendaries will be (surprise, surprise), version-exclusive:
Ultra Sun: Ho-Oh, Raikou, Groudon, Latios, Dialga, Heatran, Reshiram, Tornadus, Xerneas,
Ultra Moon: Lugia, Entei, Kyogre, Latias, Palkia, Regigigas, Zekrom, Thundurus, Yveltal,
Both: Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Suicune (needs both Raikou and Entei), Rayquaza (needs both Groudon and Kyogre), Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Giratina (needs both Dialga and Palkia), Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Kyurem (needs both Reshiram and Zekrom), Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Landorus (needs both Tornadus and Thundurus), Zygarde
This does nothing to make me decide whether to pick Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon!

I guess it's the problem for liking whole legendary groups (Ho-oh/Lugia, weather trio...)

Not a major reveal by any stretch, but Kahili was showing off a Z-Move in the overworld in the long Japanese trailer, so... she might be a Trial Captain now? Or a Kahuna? I note that we saw Hala, Olivia and Hapu but not Nanu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)