SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing is that it's the National Dex. The same way ORAS and BW2 had National Dex. The second book for BW, XY and SM all had regional dexes only. That might hint the National Dex coming back to the game, and that might mean more things to reveal, more Pokémon available to catch (and a hard way for Shiny Charm again).
I'd personally not be mad with a harder-to-obtain Shiny Charm (I still have to get mine in Moon, but since I already registered everything I liked, I stopped collecting) as long as they don't make the Oval Charm harder to get, because I've tried to breed a few Pokemon in ORAS and boy, it's sluggish compared to SM.

I guess the National Pokedex could be added for the sake of VGC, right? The lack of a National Dex in SM was good to check what species was VGC legal and what not, but now...

Last edited:
I am divided on the possibility of a "National Dex".

On one side, Nintendo were pretty adamant when Pokebank got updated that "adding the National Dex to S/M with already over 800 Pokemon several of which mythical, legendaryes or event only would feel far too punishing/frustrating for newer players who do not have access to old gens".

On the other, it is a shame that there's no "gen 7 entryes" for a lot of Pokemon... expecially seeing how delightfully creepy most of Gen 7 Pokedex entryes are.

If a National Dex is added again due to the overwhelming popular request, I don't think shiny / oval charm would change in acquisition method, which would be a pretty good compromise.

I could see possible (though, unlikely) that USUM alolan dex features more Pokemon than S/M one though, since regional dex numbers don't necessarly need to be the same.

As far as 2018 VGC goes, I think most of us expect a repetition of previous gens, with simply entire dex minus mythicals allowed, likely including Mega Evolutions.
It's been a trend since basically always, so I do not see why that should change, expecially considering if that does not happen and they stick to Alolan only without megas, VGC2018 might very well be a clone of the 2017 one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't think they'd bring back the National Dex, but if they do I hope they do as Worldie said. Honestly I'd rather the National Dex just have all the Pokemon information available without needing the Pokemon, at most it'll just note whether you have this Pokemon right now (so say if you had a Pokemon evolve and didn't have another member of that Pokemon's species, it'll note you have the evolution but not the pre-evolution). That way it makes it clear you don't need to "fill" the National Dex, it's just there for reference and searching purposes. Focus all goes to the Regional Dex which starting from Gen VI is now larger than the Gen III National Dex.

But that said, aside maybe for some Pokemon, I don't think they'd give many new dex entries. That's something just for the Regional Dex Pokemon (a sort of bonus to those older Pokemon in the regional dex and makes sense in context as you're writing about an observed behavior of those Pokemon in Alola). That said they'd have to create dex entries for all Mega Pokemon and maybe for different forms (though with the formes they could get away with just using another older dex entry that's different from the one they used for the "base" form).

Also, just because the guide is including all the Pokemon doesn't mean the National Dex is coming back. The game guide is just providing all the Pokemon as most if not all Pokemon had some updates done to them, and since USUM will most likely be the last Gen VII game its probably safe to assume any more additions/changes will be the final ones for this generation.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Plus, objectively speaking, what exactly you would expect them to reveals us?

They cannot give up too much of the plot of the game, else why play it. The fact that Necrozma essentially infects/takesover the 2 legendaryes is actually a pretty good information storywise which does not give up a lot about the plot, but does tell that in fact there is a parasitary / distruptive thing to be happening, either at Necrozma's itself hands or someone else.
They cannot really reveal new Pokemon, since it's not a new generation, and the Pokedex will be the same minus maybe a mythical or two.

Revealing new moves, event specific / USUM specific pokemon, possibly some key changes to mechanics if present or to the background (like the fact it's not a following story but an alternate reality) is essentially all you can expect in pre-release issues.
It appears we have neither new Pokémon (like in SM and XY) or new formes (Megas in ORAS) that could be gradually revealed over the course of the pre-release period this time. It's a situation we haven't had since BW2. How did they do it back then?

Just for fun, I looked up the CoroCoro issues prior to BW2's release:

February 2012:
The games weren't announced yet (that would happen on the 25th), but Keldeo was featured.
March 2012: Kyurem's new forms officially presented. As was a Keldeo TCG card, among other cards.
April 2012: The Kyurem Formes' stats are described. Games revealed to take place two years after the events of BW1. Region map released, showing new locations in Unova. Glimpses of new Unova dex (confirming the return of previous-gen Pokémon). Nate, Rosa (those are the names of the player characters, right?), and Hugh featured in full. Roxie and Marlon introduced (and stated to be Gym Leaders of their respective types). Colress teased. Aspertia City introduced.
May 2012: The Therian formes of the Kami Trio revealed and named. Bianca and Cheren's new jobs introduced. Pokémon World Tournament revealed. PokéStar Studios revealed. Some tidbits on Keldeo and Meloetta revealed, but thanks to data mining we had known that for a while by then.
June 2012: Keldeo Resolute forme revealed. The Kyurem Formes' abilities revealed, and their version exclusivity settled. C-Gear, Poké Transfer, Black City, and White Forest revealed to be back. Info on how to obtain the Therian Formes. Reversal Mountain, Join Avenue, Funfest Missions, and the Medal system teased.

The games were released in Japan on June 23.

So by comparison, USUM news are underperforming heavily. The last three CoroCoro issues before release were packed with information, at least when compared to USUM. It's true that CoroCoro constituted pretty much all the marketing there was back then, but even if we count the other stuff we've seen, we don't know as much about USUM as we did about BW2 in April 2012. Or at least, we knew that what we knew was only a small portion of all the new stuff. Then again, we have tonight's Direct to look forward to, maybe they will give us more to discuss then.

To reiterate, until now it seems like we have:
- 2 new Necrozma formes, with one known move known in each of their pools.
- 1 new Lycanroc form, and how to obtain it.
- 2 new Z-moves (Lycanroc, Kommo-o).
- 1 new Pikachu hat.
- 1 (possibly event) Pokémon with a new Ability (Own Tempo Rockruff).
- New photo mechanic.
- A barely changed overworld map (artwork only).
- Glimpses of some new locations.
- Glimpses of some old locations.
- "Blank slate" player characters returning.
- Some new items of clothing.
- Some old characters returning (no new ones introduced yet).

Now I am confused and annoyed by the Lycanroc evolution reveal. What happens if you level it up during another time of the day, will it become a Midday/Midnight Lycanroc with Own Tempo or won't it evolve until it is time to evolve into Twilight Form?
If it is the first option, it will with or even without Own Tempo, it will be painful to get Twilight Form (even though you can technically change the timer of your 3DS, but that is just inconvinient to do every time).

Guess since the new Solgaleo and Lunala are revealed to be Necrozma forme, I guess that one image of light with eyes was just a hint of Necrozma activating its abilitiy rather than getting an exclusive form for itself by shredding away its armor.
Kinda disappointed that this will indeed be another fusion, unless the story somehow adds something interesting enough to the lore that it doesn't feel like another BW2 with a different story.

Now I am confused and annoyed by the Lycanroc evolution reveal. What happens if you level it up during another time of the day, will it become a Midday/Midnight Lycanroc with Own Tempo or won't it evolve until it is time to evolve into Twilight Form?
If it is the first option, it will with or even without Own Tempo, it will be painful to get Twilight Form (even though you can technically change the timer of your 3DS, but that is just inconvinient to do every time).
Not a bad question. It's unclear whether it can only evolve into Twilight Form or it could evolve into otherwise regular Midday or Midnight Forms outside of that tiny timespan.

It feels pretty obvious to me that the new Rockruff will only evolve into Dusk.

Come on, don't be THAT naive, you know they won't randomly give a unique event poke that you can only get ONCE PER CARTRIDGE and ONLY FOR FEW MONTHS and you can fuck up the evolution of making it a normal Pokemon instead.

Be realistic instead of assuming the typical "Omg world is falling Nintendo hates us USUM will definitely suck even though we know nothing of it" attitude that's plaguing Smogon lately.

Calm down dude, there's no need for that attitude.

Either way, USUM news has been... disappointing, to say the least. I was wanting to get it but now I'm thinking it might just make sense to skip these and wait for the next Gen 7 game, assuming there is one.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Calm down dude, there's no need for that attitude.

Either way, USUM news has been... disappointing, to say the least. I was wanting to get it but now I'm thinking it might just make sense to skip these and wait for the next Gen 7 game, assuming there is one.
There likely won't be another Gen 7 game. I fully expect the 3DS to end its life cycle by late 2018 or early 2019.
But yeah, I'm likely gonna skip out on this one for now. Alola was already disappointing for me and nothing has changed my mind on this (tho many things have come close, most notably the soundtrack). This isn't looking original or engaging enough for me anymore. IDK, they just might surprise me.
Anyone know of any Gen 1-3 games that stood out in particular? I'll likely play those instead of USUM.

Direct just confirmed that this is an alternate storyline with the same player characters as SM and not a sequel, so this is closer to Platinum vs. DP than B2W2 vs. BW.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Assembly takes the term "Stone Wall" way too literally. Can't wait to see it have Glass Cannon stats.

Also, I really did not expect new UBs. That's unprecedented.

This confirms quite a few things.

-It gets both Fire and Thunder Fang, but you can't have both on Dusk Lycanroc, which is better than nothing I suppose.
-Nature CAN be soft resetted.
-It also gets access to Happy Hour, which gives Dusk Lycanroc a chance to use Z-Happy Hour if it wanted to.

They turned Mirror B. into an Ultra Beast :o (Ultra B.?)

also free Celebi with pokemon GS? but I hate those games! ugh.. ugh.. uuuuuuugh, maybe if they're like super cheap but don't count on it Gamefreak

still want that Pikachu hat :<

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Do you think the lycanroc Z-move clears terrain or was that just natural expiration? Seems like a strange effect to have

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Do you think the lycanroc Z-move clears terrain or was that just natural expiration? Seems like a strange effect to have
For them to include it in the trailer, I'm fairly certain it does. That'd be a weird thing to leave in there.

The new Ultra Beasts are both pretty nice, but I can't help but see in Burst some kind of relationship to Xurkitree. I mean, the looks of them... their basic shape reminds me of Xurkitree.

Now... is it me or that surfing zone screams of a surfing minigame?

And finally, while I'm definetly skipping the Rockruff event (seriously, a Focus Band?) I'm taking the Celebi one.

... oh, wait. Why is there no Z-Crystal on the Rockruff? Is it obtained in the story mode or it will not be a special crystal?

(Also, look at Rockruff's Pokedex number. It's not the same as in Sun/Moon. It changed from 103 to 126)

Last edited:
I honestly expected that the UBs will get new forms when I saw the first one resembling a bit Nihilego. But it wasn't too farfetched to expect new UBs.

Good to see Necrozma hugging Solgaleo is confirmed too.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy shit new Ultra Beasts, I never would have guessed that in a million years o_O

They didn't reveal much, but honestly revealing 2 new fucking Pokemon mid gen is totally out of the left field. All bets are off now, hopefully they kick up the hype cycle up a couple more notches though!

The new Ultra Beasts are both pretty nice, but I can't help but see in Burst some kind of relationship to Xurkitree. I mean, the looks of them... their basic shape reminds me of Xurkitree.

Now... is it me or that surfing zone screams of a surfing minigame?

And finally, while I'm definetly skipping the Rockruff event (seriously, a Focus Band?) I'm taking the Celebi one.

... oh, wait. Why is there no Z-Crystal on the Rockruff? Is it obtained in the story mode or it will not be a special crystal?

(Also, look at Rockruff's Pokedex number. It's not the same as in Sun/Moon. It changed from 103 to 126)
I thought it looked like Xurkitee and Nihilego's child. As for types, I expecting Assembly to be steel because it wall design and it using iron defense, while for Bust, I expect it to be a grass type. As for the move? I'm not sure... As for an expansion Mienfoo and Mantine are featured, Pokemon not found in Sun and Moon, and Rockruff's are number confirms a new expansion. Please let their me be Kalos. I'm kinda sad that appears to be a retelling of Sun and Moon and not a sequel, but hopefully that make it different enough from Sun and Moon.
Holy shit new Ultra Beasts, I never would have guessed that in a million years o_O

They didn't reveal much, but honestly revealing 2 new fucking Pokemon mid gen is totally out of the left field. All bets are off now, hopefully they kick up the hype cycle up a couple more notches though!
This was completely unexpected, because this is the first time ever when they have introduced new Pokemon within a generation.

This was completely unexpected, because this is the first time ever when they have introduced new Pokemon within a generation.
New Pokemon seem to be a logical escalation to me as in terms of creating them it's hardly any different from new Megas or Formes. I was expecting something like this ever since the Rotom Appliances.

Still neat that they dared to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)