POKEMON VG ARIZONA REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OCT. 20, 2013 (Updated info! )

Will you be attending?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Phoenix TCG & VG Regional Championships

October 19th (TCG) and 20th (VG)

Saturday October 19th: TCG- For more information about the TCG event please click here: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthrea...9mon-Regional-Championships-Phoenix-Oct-19-20

Sunday October 20th: VG

Main event: VG Regional Championships
Where: Phoenix Convention Center, (South Building), 100 N 3rd St. Phoenix, AZ 85004

Masters Registration starts: 8am Registration ends: 9am
Juniors/Seniors Registration starts: 8:30am Registration ends: 9:30am

Player meeting: 9:45am ish

Preregistration:
Details coming soon!

Cost: FREE / Open to all Players!
Age Divisions:
Juniors - Born 2003 or later
Seniors - Born 1999, 2000, 2001, or 2002
Masters - Born in 1998 and earlier

All registered VG players in every age division will receive:

~~ 3 Play Points for participating.
~~ 1 Regional Promo Card, while supplies last.
~~ 1 Sunday Raffle Ticket
~~ 1 ticket to enter the TCG League Challenge for FREE at 1pm. Non Transferable and not redeemable for cash.
~~ 1 Commemorative Regional Championships item, while supplies last.

PLEASE NOTE:
ALL players must be in the registration line NO LATER THAN THE END of the Registration time listed above with your Pokémon team and their items in the battle box. Please print you name, player ID and date of birth CLEARLY on the registration slip at the event. If you arrive later or get in line later than this time, you may receive a first round loss or denied entry to the event. Don't be late!

Therefore, while not mandatory, you should do the following to help ensure you are admitted on time for round 1: VG players should pre-register and load their Pokémon team and their items in the battle box.

Tournament Details:

o Players must bring their Nintendo DS (any DS system).
o Players must bring their own Pokémon game cartridge "Black 2 or White 2" only.
o Players must bring their own charger for their DS.
o Each age group will use Swiss rounds- this means all players get to play every round even if they lose every game.
o The number of Swiss rounds will be determined by the amount of players in each division.
o Swiss Rounds will be up to 20 minutes (Single Game Pairings)
o Top Cut: 8 players per age division. Top Cut will be Single Elimination Finals, 20 minutes PER GAME and will be best 2 out of 3.
o VG Tournament Rules & Formats: Link coming soon – details on pokemon.com.

Players are restricted on what Pokémon can be used. Please check pokemon.com for the latest video game requirements.

TCG Top 8 players return:
The TCG Top 8 Finals for each age division

8:00am - 8:30am – Top 8 players Check in.
8:45am - FINALS begin

WHAT ARE THE PRIZES for VG?

ALL AGE DIVISIONS

1st Place
A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 1st Place award
A Nintendo 3DS System
A copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
120 Championship Points

2nd Place
A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 2nd Place award
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
110 Championship Points

3rd & 4th
A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place award
A combination of 36 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
90 Championship Points

5th through 8th
A combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
70 Championship Points

9th through 16th
A combination of 9 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
50 Championship Points

17th through 32nd
30 Championship Points (if 64 or more players in division)

33rd through 64th
10 Championship Points (if 128 or more players in division)

65th through 128th
5 Championship Points (if 256 or more players in division)

Sunday Raffles (between 2pm -3pm):

There will be 4 Mega Pokémon Raffles. You can choose which of these raffles you want to enter with your Raffle Tickets:

1. Surprise Pokémon bundle of goodies.
2. Pokémon Rumble U Figures: Complete Standard set of all 18 figures. Vendor credit $15.
3. Pokémon Elite package: Pokémon Plasma Storm Elite Trainer box, Pokémon Plasma Blast Elite Trainer box, the Red Genesect Collection plus other Pokémon goodies. Vendor credit $15.
4. 2 Booster boxes – 1-Plasma Freeze Booster box and 1- Plasma Blast Booster box

Everyone who registers for the main event will get a Raffle Ticket. You can earn extra Raffle tickets thru the Side Events and also earn an extra ticket for every $10 spent in one transaction per Vendor at the tables in the main hall. (For example: If you spend $30 at the Vendor table, you would get 3 Raffle tickets). You must be present to win!

Side Events:

League Challenge Tournament-TCG --- $5.00 for all players. ** All registered players will receive a Sunday Raffle ticket.

**If you registered and played in the VG event earlier in the day, this League Challenge is FREE for you.
Registration starts: 12pm Registration Ends: 1pm - time subject to change
• You must have your own legal 60-card Modified deck.
• The number of Swiss Rounds will be determined by the number of players.
• 30 minutes round + 3. No top cut.
• Decklists will be required.
• Championship Points:

League Challenge Championship Points:
Placement Points Kicker
1 -----15----- 0
2 -----12----- 4
3-4 ---10----- 8
5-8 ----6-----32
9-12----4-----64
13-16 ---2------64
17-32 ---1-----128

Prizes for each age division:
1st place—18 packs - Plasma Blast
2nd place—10 packs - Plasma Blast
3rd place— 4 packs - Plasma Blast
4th place— 4 packs - Plasma Blast
5th place— 2 packs - Plasma Blast
6th place— 2 packs - Plasma Blast
7th place— 2 packs - Plasma Blast
8th place— 2 packs - Plasma Blast
8 Player -Modified -TCG--- $5.00
Registration starts: 10:30am Registration ends: 11am
• 30 minutes rounds- no plus 3.
• All 8 players will get 1 pack and a Sunday Raffle ticket after the last round.
• 1st and 2nd place will get Playmat, Binder or Hat.

8 Player -Modified-TCG --- $5.00
Registration starts: 10:45am Registration ends: 11:15am
• 30 minutes rounds- no plus 3.
• All 8 players will get 1 pack and a Sunday Raffle ticket after the last round.
• 1st and 2nd place will get Playmat, Binder or Hat.

More side events if time permits, times and side events subject to change: Details coming soon!

Pokémon Creative Corner
• Create your own Pokémon card and receive a Raffle Ticket. (Limit: 1 per person per day).
• Plenty of other activites to color! Connect the dots, Mazes, Fill in the colors for various Pokémon.

Transportation: The Metro Light Rail stops at the entrance to the South Building of the Phoenix Convention Center. An all Day pass is only $4 per person and can be purchased at any station. ($2 All Day Pass for Youths age 6-18, Children under 5 years old are Free).
Sky harbor airport now has a “Sky Train” which connects to The Metro Light Rail too. There are many hotels along the entire route of The Metro Light Rail. I have listed a few of the ones closest to the event with the best prices.

Hotels:
There are many hotels surrounding the event, if you are looking for one, I have done some of the research already and one hotel has given us a "Pokemon" rate. My advice would be not to wait to long to book your hotel for those players traveling in, there are many other events going on that weekend which is why only one hotel would discount their rates for the Pokemon event. There is a Cardinals vs Seahawks game on Thursday nite prior to the event and the State Fair is going on too. It would be best to book soon!
Marriot SpringHill Suites Phoenix Downtown
802 East Van Buren Street • Phoenix, Arizona 85006

• Free High Speed Internet Access, 24-Hour Business Center access, Featuring The Market open 24 hours, Continental breakfast and Hot breakfast, complimentary.
• Complimentary Sky Harbor Airport Transportation Shuttle from 7:00 am - 10:00 pm.
• 3 ½ blocks from the Phoenix Convention Center – South Building (if the shuttle is available, they can drive you to and from the event, however there is no guarantee and airport runs are a priority).
Special rate for anyone attending the event: Please call the hotel directly and use the code “Pokemon”. Rates are $99+tax per night. They will honor this rate for Fri. Oct 18th, Sat. Oct 19th and Sun. Oct 20th (any combination of nights).
• For more information about the hotel: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phxdt-springhill-suites-phoenix-downtown/

Super 8 Phoenix Downtown
965 East Van Buren, 1-10 East, Take 7th St Exit, Phoenix, AZ 85006

• This is actually a ‘nice’ hotel. I personally checked out the rooms and was pleasantly surprised.
• Free High Speed Internet Access in all rooms. Free SuperStart Continental Breakfast, Micro/fridge in all rooms.
• They do not have an Airport Shuttle.
• 3 ½- 4 blocks from the Phoenix Convention Center – South Building
• They have a deal with a local Taxi Cab company. They can take you to and from the event for $5 each way. More details this week.
• Booking this hotel thru their website is the best way to get the cheapest rate. Currently, King bed rooms are $67.99 per night, 2 Queen beds are $76.49 per night.
• For more information about the hotel:
http://wr.wyndhamrewards.com/hotels...ode=&adults=2&checkin_date=10/18/2013&rooms=1

Fairfield Inn & Suites Midtown Phoenix
2520 N. Central Avenue • Phoenix, Arizona 85004

• This hotel is located 2 miles north of the event, 7 minute drive. However, the entrance to the hotel is across the street from a Metro Light Rail Station. Day passes are only $4, however, the mentioned if they have any complimentary passes when you check in, they are on a first come first serve basis.
• Free High Speed Internet Access, Continental breakfast, complimentary
• Airport shuttle service, on request, complimentary
Shuttle Phone: 1 602 716 9900 Also, if the shuttle is available, they can drive you to and from the event, however there is no guarantee and airport runs are a priority.
• Booking this hotel thru their website is the best way to get the cheapest rate. Currently, 1 King or 2 Queen beds are $109.00
• For more information about this hotel:
http://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

Food: There will be food vendors around the Convention Center building. Half –block in the North Building of the Convention Center there is a food court. I will post a link with more information.

Vendors: Jesse James Comics will be there! More vendors will be announced soon!

****I hope you will all join us for this memorable occasion. The first ever TCG & VG Regional Championships held in Phoenix, Arizona. It promises to be an epic event with awesome prizes.
Join the crowd of elite Pokémon players who strive to be the very best like no one ever was!
Someone will be the winner and it could be your destiny!

Pokémon! Gotta catch ‘em all!
See you all there!
Patricia McCann
Premier Tournament Organizer
602-791-4941 (text please)

New updated info:

Preregistration: http://www.1playerplace.com/signups?event=OYOYO3XGXXDXLTQ

ALL Preregistered players will receive an extra Raffle ticket! Yes, that means 2 Raffle tickets just for signing up early and a separate Fast Pass Preregistration line!

AND:

ADDITIONAL VG RAFFLE ADDED 10/2/13: Everyone who registers in the VG event will be entered into a special Raffle to win one of 50 Arizona Regional Championships Gen VI Weakness Chart Microfiber Lens Cloth's!!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So just to update, I WILL be there! Wish there wasn't such short notice, though. The short notice is probably going to screw with attendance.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Its over! I didn't win, ended with a 4-3 record and like 22nd place. All of the top 8 had like a 6-1 record going in to the top cut. All in all it was extremely fun!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Would you mind sharing your team for discussion?
Not at all. I'll admit I put it together pretty hasty-like; I just didn't have the time IRL to do more. EVs aren't exact but should be close. Overall theme was Trick Room

Hitmontop @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
252HP / 252Atk / 4Spe
-Fake Out
-Sucker Punch
-Close Combat
-Wide Guard

My favorite 'mon on my team, and a returning competitor from my '12 Regionals team. Fake Out usually guarantees that Cresselia can get Trick Room up on the first turn. Sucker Punch and Close Combat are there for attacks. Wide Guard was there to protect against spread moves, which incidentally weren't as common as I expected. The Eject Button allowed a guaranteed switch to an appropriate counter when attacked, provided it wasn't OHKO'd, and to allow for another Intimidate use later.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Nature: Sassy
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Speed IV: 0
-Trick Room
-Helping Hand
-Ice Beam
-Sunny Day

Cresselia, the queen of Trick Room. What makes this Cresselia different from the norm is Ice Beam over psychic-type attacks (to hit Dragons harder and not be a sitting duck versus Darks), and Sunny Day. I saw a Worlds team use Sunny Day on Cresselia to counter opposing weather teams, and I wanted to try it. Even though I also run Tyranitar for sand, you never know when you need to reset weather. Sunny Day also worked as a surprise factor when bringing out Chandelure (though Chandelure is slightly predictable), and also helps neutralize Water attacks, which my team is susceptible to.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (I think)
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm
-Ice Punch
-Protect

Since this is a trick room team, I need a Pokemon that excels at Trick Room, and Metagross fits the bill. With extremely low speed that gets even lower with Hammer Arm, there are few Pokemon that outspeed it under Trick Room after one or two Hammer Arms, even Ferrothorn. Ice Punch was selected to annihilate two of its biggest threats, namely Landorus and Garchomp.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (I think)
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Low Kick
-Protect

Standard Trick Room Tyranitar, there isn't a lot to say that hasn't been said. I mainly wanted a very powerful anti-Cresselia Pokemon, and something to change weather when needed, and Tyranitar fit the bill.

Chandelure @ Fire Gem
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
-Shadow Ball
-Heat Wave
-Trick Room
-Protect

I wanted another Trick Room setter besides Cresselia, and Chandelure seemed like a good candidate. Combine with the surprise Sunny Day from Cresselia, Fire Gem Heat Wave hits extremely hard (especially if I can sneak in Helping Hand). In practice Chandelure doesn't get a big opportunity to set Trick Room, but as long as Cresselia is happy it can concentrate on attacking.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Rage Powder
-Spore
-Protect

My LVP I'm afraid to say, but the idea is simple. Set up trick room and Amoonguss works its magic with Spore and Giga Drain.

Strategy:

This team nearly always gets Trick Room set up thanks to Hitmontop and Cresselia/Chandelure. Thanks to Eject button Top is almost guaranteed to get two Intimidates in per battle. Then its up to Chandelure, Tyranitar, and Metagross to sweep. Because of Sunny Day on Cresselia, I'm not as reliant on keeping Tyranitar alive to keep the weather in my favor.

Weaknesses:

-Earthquake. My team is extremely susceptible to Earthquake, and is extremely reliant on Hitmontop to counter it either through Intimidate, Fake Out, or Wide Guard.
-Water Types. Should I lose the weather war, my team is pummeled by hard hitting water attacks. Additionally I don't have any attacks save Giga Drain to hit Water super effectively. A healthy Jellicent is a hard counter to Metagross, and a solid check to Chandelure and Tyranitar.
-Rotom. Most Rotom forms have no trouble against my team, and I have few answers to it other than pure offense.
-Anti Trick Room. Like most Trick Room teams, this team is fantastic inside Trick Room, and terrible outside of it. Pokemon that can specifically counter Trick Room are also a problem.
-My Amoonguss. My 6th team member is unfortunately kinda dead weight, and I rarely had the opportunity to bring it out and actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)