Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced!

Please read the thread before asking questions. Most questions are answered here or on the official website. Thanks.

THE RULESET AND LOCATIONS FOR Pokemon VGC 2010!

The rules and locations for VGC 2010 for Europe and the USA have been released! Here's a quick rundown on the stops and full rules.

---------------------------------------------------------

Locations for the United States and Europe:

• Saturday, May 8, 2010 - Seattle, WA
  • Saturday, May 15, 2010 - San Francisco, CA
  • Saturday, May 22, 2010 - Phoenix, AZ
  • Saturday, May 29, 2010 - Dallas, TX
  • Saturday, June 5, 2010 - Atlanta, GA
  • Saturday, June 12, 2010 - Newark, NJ
  • ------------------------------------
  • Saturday, May 29, 2010 - Birmingham, England
  • Saturday, June 5, 2010 - Cologne, Germany
  • Saturday, June 12, 2010 - Lyon, France
  • Saturday, June 19, 2010 - Madrid, Spain

NO LOTTERY!!

There is a maximum number of particpants at each stop of 768 for seniors(age 13 and up, the Junior division is those players 12 and under). For the USA, it is 768 in the senior division. For Europe, it's 256 for the senior division. You sign up at the event. Competitor slots will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Preregistration is not available for these events. So get there as early as you can if you don't want to potentially be not allowed to play. 768 is an incredible amount of players, so almost all of the stops should be fine.

You show up and register on-site. Junior registration is from 8:00am-8:30am. Senior registration is from 1:00pm to 1:30pm(!).

Prizes:

1st Place:

• A Regional Championships 1st Place Trophy
  • A Nintendo DSi system
  • Airfare and 4 day/3 night hotel accommodations for the winner (including parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to attend the Pokémon Video Game National Championships in Indianapolis, IN on June 26th—28th
  • An invite to participate in the Pokémon Video Game National Championships
2nd through 4th Place:

• A Regional Championships 1st Place Trophy [? They have two first place trophies? lol I think this is a typo]
  • A Nintendo DSi system
  • A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the Pokémon Video Game National Championships.
5th through 16th Place:

Things to bring:

• A North American copy of Pokémon HeartGold Version or Pokémon SoulSilver Version for the Nintendo DS™ system
  • (For Europe, it is a European copy of HeartGold and SoulSilver)
  • A team of legal Pokémon as per the Tournament Regulations
  • A completed Team Information Sheet
  • Proof of age
  • A special character distribution will be available to all attendees who have a copy of Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver Versions. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own Nintendo DS or Nintendo DSi™ system. Only one Pokémon will be available per person.

Hack Checking Information:

Quit asking how hack checking works, we are not here to tell you how to beat the hack checks, if you continue to post asking anything about the hack checks you will be infracted.

POKEMON VGC 2010 Battle RULES:

1. HEART GOLD/SOUL SILVER ARE THE ONLY GAMES BEING USED

2. Double Battle Cup

3. 4 pokemon in a battle

4. Pokemon lv. 1 through lv 100 are allowed (!)

5. Battles are at lv. 1-50. If the pokemon are above lv. 50, the game will auto level them down to lv. 50 for the battle. Moves will stay intact during the auto leveling. If a pokemon is under lv. 50, no change is made.

6. No two of the same pokemon can be used (species clause)

7. Item Clause is on, Soul Dew is banned.

8. BANNED POKEMON ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

9. You may use UP TO TWO UBERS PER BATTLE (but you can have up to four on your team sheet). This means that you cannot have a team like Kyogre/Palkia/Dialga/Mewtwo in one battle. Non-banned Ubers are considered to be:

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

10. Any other pokemon may be used (this includes Tyranitar and all Rotom forms!)

11. A few move changes: Nature Power always results in Tri Attack; Secret Power has a one third chance of paralysis; using Camouflage means your pokemon becomes Normal type

Other interesting information:

Nationals and Worlds will be almost identical to last year's format. Nationals will have single match Swiss, and Worlds will have best 2/3 Swiss.

There are last chance qualifiers at both Nationals AND Worlds!

If you have any questions, try the USA FAQ: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/faq-regionals.php

European FAQ: http://origin.pokemonvgc.com/uk/faq-europe.php

If you happen to see anything else that is an interesting information tidbit, post it and I'll edit it in.

Which stop are you going to? Post and see who else will be in your area!

Seattle: Bug Maniac Marc, ultimatedra, Gottabeperfect, Feathers, Team Rocket Elite, Yeti, zerowing, J-Leo-L, for54years, Firestorm, Chinese Dood, Articuno64, Batpig

San Francisco: POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN, ultimatedra, BadIntent, magickzzl, Batpig, Onyx Tiger, tr4q, OmegaDonut

Phoenix: POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN, Justinawe, imperfectluck, viperGTS, zerowing, OmegaDonut, J-Man27, Sniper

Dallas: Elly, Alaka, fortegoddx, obi, JRank, Seto Kaiba, Krevino 491, LonelyNess, ru23, Delio

Atlanta: mingot, LightYin, mattj, FiveKRunner, BlueCookies

Newark: Darkwatch, Expert Evan, Pokeric, drcossack, Serendipity, sandman, Mosquitox216, Pseudonym, Wrecky, Dave, M4GNITUDE, CrazySnorlax, CCM30, TDS, ChiboSempai, locopoke, RedSpyda, Fightgar, Legend, DragonFE

Indianapolis: Sixonesix, godudette, theamericandream38, RaichuGuardian, mattj, Purimpopoie, KingEmpoleon, Beergle, Cannonfodder, RandomVGC, GreySong, Darkwatch, BlueCookies

--------

England: Havak, Akiratron, Parallel, Zog, Kinneas, B-Lulz, Wichu, Osirus182, Cinaclov, Pokérob, ZystraL

Germany: Massi, drug_duck, froggy25

France: froggy25, flash_mc

Spain: Bangisan, flash_mc

It will likely be full of Garchomp, which, according to the list, isn't actually an Uber. It can hit many of the Pokemon in the Uber list for Super Effective damage, and can potentially hit both opponents with STAB Earthquake while sparing a Flying or Levitating partner. Since double battles make Choice Items more attractive, Choice Chomp is an obvious choice for a team.

good to know about this can't wait and yes i am prepping all the vgc pokemon i can for this one.

If the pokemon are above lv. 50, the game will auto level them down to lv. 50 for the battle.
Interesting, as this confirms the existence of local auto-level (albeit not up as far as we are aware) in HeartGold and SoulSilver. I find it quite odd that they went to all the trouble to give out legendaries at (or under) level 50, only to have an auto-level feature. Additionally, there is less of a pull to buy both games; literally, the only real benefits of buying each are Kyogre and Groudon, who can be obtained in the third generation. Also interesting that Soul Dew is banned while most Ubers are allowed. So here is a list of Pokémon that may now be used that were banned in last year's tournament:

• Mewtwo
  • Tyranitar
  • Lugia
  • Ho-Oh
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Rayquaza
  • Rotom
  • Rotom-A
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Giratina-O

Additionally, Pokémon now have access to their entire movepools (legally obtainable); Vaporeon with Hydro Pump, and Porygon with Tri Attack (fourth generation) for example. Not that I'm sure how much that will matter with Ubers running around.

I would be curious as to whether underleveled Pokémon will still be used. While there is the obvious Level 1 Smeargle, some players might run Sapphire Level 49 Quiet Kyogre if they desperately want to get weather over Groudon and vice versa (though Rayquaza has the potential to ruin this).

EDIT:

These rules are... acceptable. At least people wont be spamming ubers :p
At first glance, I don't see how it makes too much of a difference. I don't think slapping together a 4-Uber team would have very good synergy, so there would likely be non-Uber members anyway. This way, you are forced to have at least half your team be OU or lower, but this would probably have happened anyway, unless you were going for an all-out sweep. Not that I'm an expert on the metagame, but this is just how it looks to me. Unless of course, the ":P" indicated sarcasm, in which case disregard this paragraph.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Well, everyone's probably going to be running Rain as I predicted in some PM's to mattj last night.

That said, I know what my leads are going to be. I have to decide what items to give them though.

I am disappointed somewhat. I wanted it to be level 50 no auto level. With this feature, rayquaza now has access to extreme speed. I liked the fact that non of the Ubers besides giratina had a priority move. I was planning on running the endure salac groudon. This strategy was already ruined due to the fact kyogre got water spout at level 50 in HG/SS.

I am pleased to see Tyranitar and rotom and all forms allowed.

I am disappointed somewhat. I wanted it to be level 50 no auto level. With this feature, rayquaza now has access to extreme speed. I liked the fact that non of the Ubers besides giratina had a priority move. I was planning on running the endure salac groudon. This strategy was already ruined due to the fact kyogre got water spout at level 50 in HG/SS.

I am pleased to see Tyranitar and rotom and all forms allowed.
agreed also guess you were right about this i was looking forward to using some pokemon exclusively for VGC but at least i know this now.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wait wait wait. No HGSS-only pokémon rule? That sounds wonderful. And I wonder how the hell no one noticed that local auto-level feature... I know I didn't. I didn't find anyone to get on Wireless Union Room with me either, so...

But why do I care? I live in Brazil =(

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Interesting...very interesting. I like how Rayquaza gets Extremespeed here, meaning I can finally use priority that smacks Smeargle.

Looking forward to it

And eh...Giratina-O/Rotom-A allowed? Hmm...what does this point to...

(EDIT: in before Kyogre/Ludicolo/Palkia/Kingdra/something/something)

A limit of 2 ubers per team (possibly per Information Sheet) will change things, but it won't be too major. I want you guys to look at the JAA Semi-finals:

Minh Ba Le (1st) - Groudon/Clefable/Mewtwo/Snorlax
Calvin Chan (2nd) - Kyogre/Mewtwo/Snorlax/Rayquaza
PsiUmbreon (3rd/4th) - Mewtwo/Dusclops/Snorlax/Kyogre
jeps (3rd/4th) - Groudon/Jumpluff/Quagsire/Shedinja

Basically (as I've seen many times before), whoever does well in this tournament will be people who think outside the box and don't just spam Rain (lv 49 Kyogre is an interesting idea though). Shedinja will be very popular this year, seeing as few things in ubers prepare for it, and it was used by Tasuku Mano in VGC 2009.

I think Weavile usage will rise somewhat. Even though it is frail, it hits super effective on many ubers and with Dark, Ice, and Fighting, has unresisted converage. Now it even gets low kick for a strong fighting move.

Amazing Ampharos (3rd/4th) - Mewtwo/Dusclops/Snorlax/???
1. Hits SE on every pokemon.
2. Hits SE on every pokemon but kyogre.
3. Hits SE on every pokemon.
4. Hits SE on every pokemon but quagsire.

hope this is in new york this upcoming year.....

kinda feel stupid that i did not go last time it was.

Nice. Looking good.

Screw Bulbanews; they reported that all ubers would be allowed (Deoxys and pals), without any evidence. At least we now know they got it wrong. 2 ubers per team is definitely cool. I was actually only planning on 2 anyway.

(lv 49 Kyogre is an interesting idea though)
Doesn't really seem practical to me, but it's a nice idea. The SRing on Sapphire would be absolute hell so I wouldn't bother. The only reasonable ways past that are using the FR/LG RNGing method (which I don't agree with) or Pokésav (which I agree with even less). And even then, while rain's going to be a dominant strategy amongst the medium-skilled trainers (like your average guy off Marriland or something), the real competitors won't be spamming the old Kyogre/Palkia/Kingdra/Ludicolo etc rain team. I personally am drafting this really cool idea which works really well in the theorymon stage. I just need to think through my 3rd team member, and come up with a 4th. Time isn't exactly short so I've not got down to business yet.

A limit of 2 ubers per team (possibly per Information Sheet) will change things, but it won't be too major. I want you guys to look at the JAA Semi-finals:

Amazing Ampharos (3rd/4th) - Mewtwo/Dusclops/Snorlax/???

Basically (as I've seen many times before), whoever does well in this tournament will be people who think outside the box and don't just spam Rain (lv 49 Kyogre is an interesting idea though). Shedinja will be very popular this year, seeing as few things in ubers prepare for it, and it was used by Tasuku Mano in VGC 2009.
Ok, where the hell did you get the idea that AA finished 3rd/4th in JAA? He lost in the first round, and the other guy who got 3rd/4th (besides jeps) was a serebii user by the name of PsiUmbreon. His team was Dusclops/Mewtwo/Lax/Kyogre, btw.

On topic, the rules look great. Hopefully the selection process is better this year. I already have a team in mind and would like to test it out *cough PBB get the server up cough*

EDIT: Oh hej a server.... that I can't connect to :/

Preparing for next year's VGC. I'm relieved now that it is auto-level 50, now the EV'd Pokemons I collect won't have to be level 50 and under! I'm really excited. I already have a team ready that is two ubers. I hope that legends aren't considered ubers though. I posted this in a previous thread, but am posting again,

I developed a team for next year's VGC metagame as well.

The Leads:

groudon @ Iron Ball
Brave/Adamant
252HP,252attack,6def

-Roar
-Earthquake
-Fling/Fire Fang/Rock Slide
-Protect

+

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
Modest
252 HP/116 Sp Att/140 Sp Def

-Detect
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Discharge

Ok, to start with the leads. This is kind of like Chomp+Zap but much better, and now with ubers. Iron ball is to make Groudon ESPECIALLY slow just incase any kyogres,abamosnows, or hippodons come in and with Fling, a 130BP move coming from a 200+attack groudon is no fucking joke. Earthquake for Metagross and for STAB. I probably am not going to run rock slide only because I already have Zappy using Discharge. Roar is -5speed, and TR is -6speed so I roar out any TRers. As for Zapdos, Heat Wave is boosted and takes a chunk out of leads that aren't heatran(that Groudon is able to kill). If a raquaza+ X co mes in, I just discharge+fling. Pretty self explanatory and the rest:

Giritina@Chesto/Leftovers
Impish
252spD,252HP,6def

-Shadow Force
-Shadow Sneak
-Protect/Rest
-Dragon Claw/SleepTalk

yes im kind of abusing the fact that we can use ubers XD. But, yeah, kind of a switch in to explosions and to kill anything that doesn't resist at low HP. I was thinking of rest talk. Im not so sure about how to use Giritina, just a filler I thought I'd use to avoid explosions. Shadow Force to hit through Protects. Counters Cress,Pixies,and other psychics.

+

Infernape @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Naive
252spe,200spA,52attack

-Heat Wave
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Hidden Power(Ice)/Grass Knot

I consider Fake Out a late game priority move. It comes in on anything at 1HP and helps me stall out TR if it occurs. HP Ice for any dragons I dont happen to kill. Or I might run grass knot for waters like Milotic and stuff that my team has trouble with. But yeah, kind of an RMT.

I really have No problems with Rain Dance,Hail, but if someone decides to run a Relaxed Hippodon or something. I may be screwed. TR, if going to get set up, they have to fake out my groudon with Smeargle. And even if, Groudon still is very slow,same as giritina, and Fake Out will come in and kill smeargle after I discharge/heat wave.

all comments greatly appreciated ^_^.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I actually like this new format as it also makes sense to allow the likes of tyranitar since other weather pokemon such as kyogre & groudon can participate as well. Having the auto-level for anything over level 50 is nice too.

good thing darkrai is banned dark void would be sick, I really like the new rules, a lot more versatility.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well I would hold off on declaring this the official rules for United States play, but go ahead and come up with team ideas, etc, but don't be disappointed when the US rules roll around and they are completely different.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
good thing darkrai is banned dark void would be sick
Smeargle can still Sketch it.

Well I would hold off on declaring this the official rules for United States play, but go ahead and come up with team ideas, etc, but don't be disappointed when the US rules roll around and they are completely different.
I'm pretty sure it'll be the same here, wouldn't be fair to allow the Ubers in one and not the other. Still, my team won't be affected too terribly by the lack of Ubers.

@zerowing = Good point; I had mentioned that in the thread I linked to that it might be different for the USA tournaments, but I suppose I should mention it here also. Edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)