Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
As for that loop from last year, I don't see how rain>TR>goodstuff>rain, I would think it would be the opposite, more like rain<goodstuff>TR>rain, though naturally TR can beat goodstuff too, but this isn't really important anyway.

As for the centralization argument, that isn't true at all. As someone else said, claims like that need experience to make, something I'm sure you don't have yet since the rules were just made public a few days ago. Once you guys start playtesting I'm sure you will find a lot of viable pokemon, and Kyogre will definitely be very good, but these "rain" teams won't be too good(unless by rain teams you mean Kyogre+Ludicolo only, with no other pokemon who use rain, I consider them more of a goodstuff team). And I just want to post my opinion on Rayquaza being extremely good. His extremespeed isn't too powerful unless you go all physical, and he really lacks good physical moves. Second, he pretty much needs focus sash, and if one of your 2 ubers is a frail sashed Pokemon, you're not taking advantage of getting to use 2 ubers imo.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Here is a quote from Mike Liesik on this issue from the Pokemon OP Forums
Thank you dra. :) You're the man. :)

I sincerely wish that forum wasn't locked. If we actually had regular updates from it we wouldn't be in this horrible guessing game. I also think it's terribly unfair that Japan already has their game and knows what rules to prepare for and we're still just making wild guesses. >_>

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion

I sincerely wish that forum wasn't locked. If we actually had regular updates from it we wouldn't be in this horrible guessing game. I also think it's terribly unfair that Japan already has their game and knows what rules to prepare for and we're still just making wild guesses. >_>
It might have something to do with the fact that their tournament starts in 2 weeks and ours starts in half a year.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there

It might have something to do with the fact that their tournament starts in 2 weeks and ours starts in half a year.
I agree with Matt on this. While I'd like to have a definite idea of what the rules in the US will be, that isn't gonna happen right away. All we can do now is to practice both with Ubers and without. For me, after having played some matches with Ubers, it's hard to go back to a standard team.

Hmm, thanks Ultimatedra, I guess this means that ubers and level 50+ Pokemon shouldn't be collected yet because it is not confirmed whether or not they will be able to be used. I would be okay with select ubers(Kyogre, Groudon,Lugia, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, that they "ironically" put at level 50 for this tourney, but not level 50+ Pokemon because that'd mean ExtremeSpeed Rayquazas everywhere. I guess to keep it 2009 Format, there must be a double cup in the HG/SS union room. But has it been found out whether or not they have a Double Cup non-auto level that allows ubers in HG/SS? Because that's the only way the select ubers would be aloud without 50+ Pokemon.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would expect that even if rules remain the same the autolevel mechanic will remain

I would expect that even if rules remain the same the autolevel mechanic will remain
Exactly.

Also, I don't believe we have to expect a horrible metagame change with only 2 Ubers per Team allowed. We will probably only experience a light shift to more Dragon and Water types being used, along with some Groudon goodstuff although the power loss on Earthquake severely hurt it. Lugia will be quite funny as a supporter but it is actually only a slightly better Cresselia.
Rayquaza is heavily overhyped. Of course, Extremespeed and the option to fire off moves from acceptable offenses on both sides of the spectrum makes it a Pokémon to consider when building teams but also note how it is slower than Garchomp. Every fucking Dragon will outspeed it.
Next, we have a bunch of gimmick teams. For players specializing in gimmick teams, these new rules are a dreamland, first they can expect to beat many unsuspecting battlers who only rely on Specskyogre, Scarfpalkia and CB Garchomp (I overdid it intentionally), second because they can use autoweather to their advantage.
I personally like the rules. While the pool of tournament-viable mons will most certainly decrease, we will have a really fast-paced metagame.

My two cents. The best thing to do now is to do testing by both rulesets and following the upcoming Japanese tourneys.

drcossack

Exactly.

Also, I don't believe we have to expect a horrible metagame change with only 2 Ubers per Team allowed. We will probably only experience a light shift to more Dragon and Water types being used, along with some Groudon goodstuff although the power loss on Earthquake severely hurt it. Lugia will be quite funny as a supporter but it is actually only a slightly better Cresselia.
Rayquaza is heavily overhyped. Of course, Extremespeed and the option to fire off moves from acceptable offenses on both sides of the spectrum makes it a Pokémon to consider when building teams but also note how it is slower than Garchomp. Every fucking Dragon will outspeed it.
Next, we have a bunch of gimmick teams. For players specializing in gimmick teams, these new rules are a dreamland, first they can expect to beat many unsuspecting battlers who only rely on Specskyogre, Scarfpalkia and CB Garchomp (I overdid it intentionally), second because they can use autoweather to their advantage.
I personally like the rules. While the pool of tournament-viable mons will most certainly decrease, we will have a really fast-paced metagame.

My two cents. The best thing to do now is to do testing by both rulesets and following the upcoming Japanese tourneys.
As far as Ray: I agree, he's overhyped. I've been able to use him with a good degree of success, but that obviously depends on who your other lead is. I was doing some battles with a Rayquaza/Togekiss combo last night, and against my opponent's T-Tar/Mewtwo (who had SelfDestruct, but he didn't use it that often), Togekiss redirected the Ice Beam with Follow Me. Unless my opponent uses AoE attacks, my Ray gets at least two turns. While any Dragon attack will KO him if it lands, the right partner gives him a chance to do some heavy damage. I'm running ESpeed/Outrage/Protect/EQ on mine, but I might go with Dragon Claw, because Outrage randomly picks a target, the possibility that it can hit the wrong Pokemon (*cough* Dialga *cough*) is a turnoff.

I also tried a Rayquaza/Scarf Palkia combo, which is a good choice for killing your opponent quickly. There's plenty of time to finalize a team though. Because of the auto-level, I get the feeling I'll be experimenting for a while, whether Ubers are legal or not.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Since the new forms can be used I wonder if they will have a new wii game that can hold them.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, will Giratina-O be allowed this time? I don't see how, as event-only pokémon are banned and the only way to get a Griseous Orb is through an in-game event with Movie Arceus, but the OP doesn't say a thing about it...

drcossack

Hmm, will Giratina-O be allowed this time? I don't see how, as event-only pokémon are banned and the only way to get a Griseous Orb is through an in-game event with Movie Arceus, but the OP doesn't say a thing about it...
anything over level 50 will be leveled down - you can use the Platinum Giratina, but it won't have Shadow Sneak.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
anything over level 50 will be leveled down - you can use the Platinum Giratina, but it won't have Shadow Sneak.
Shadow Sneak is a level up move - you can Heart Scale it in HGSS
Hmm, will Giratina-O be allowed this time? I don't see how, as event-only pokémon are banned
They allowed the Lv.50 Event Dragonite last year didn't they?

drcossack

Oh? I thought those moves were exclusive to the HG/SS event-obtained Sinnoh Dragons. I stand corrected.

And yeah, the TRU DNite was allowed.

Mario With Lasers

The point isn't where it is from, but the item. The only way to obtain a Griseous Orb in HGSS is having an event pokémon (Movie Arceus). You can't trade a Griseous Orb to HGSS because it's taken off the moment you enter Union Room/Wi-Fi.

Makes sense. They aren't allowing Jirachi, Mew and all the other ones who either got a Wi-Fi event, or are in a WiiWare game, so I wonder...

The point isn't where it is from, but the item. The only way to obtain a Griseous Orb in Platinum is having an event pokémon (Movie Arceus). You can't trade a Griseous Orb to HGSS because it's taken off the moment you enter Union Room/Wi-Fi.
If you picked to receive a Giratina Egg from the Arceus side-quest, the Giratina will have a Griseous Orb.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Has anyone checked to see if you can trade the griseous orb from hg/ss to another hg/ss?

I know it doesn't work with plat to hg/ss but maybe they set it so you can trade the orb from hg/ss to other hg/ss.

Mario With Lasers

If you picked to receive a Giratina Egg from the Arceus side-quest, the Giratina will have a Griseous Orb.
That's what I meant ?_? It's the only way to get one in HGSS.

Has anyone checked to see if you can trade the griseous orb from hg/ss to another hg/ss?

I know it doesn't work with plat to hg/ss but maybe they set it so you can trade the orb from hg/ss to other hg/ss.
The item is still event-only, though.

Well, I was planning on using a Giratina in this tournament, so that's definitely one of my two ubers. Since weather is going to be such a clusterfuck, I'd rather make a team that relies on something else, like Screens.

Speaking of Weather teams, since Water Spout and Eruption will no doubt be abused, my second uber might be Palkia, since he resists both of them rather well.

I wonder how Trick Room teams will be handled. All the Ubers are base speed 90 or higher, which means that a Trick Room team probably won't be using one of them unless they have Priority moves. The real hard part will be pulling the move off; Follow Me + Trick Room was really reliable before, but now that there are so many powerful pokemon with spread moves in the mix, they'll have to find sturdier users of the move than before.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Well, I was planning on using a Giratina in this tournament, so that's definitely one of my two ubers. Since weather is going to be such a clusterfuck, I'd rather make a team that relies on something else, like Screens.

Speaking of Weather teams, since Water Spout and Eruption will no doubt be abused, my second uber might be Palkia, since he resists both of them rather well.

I wonder how Trick Room teams will be handled. All the Ubers are base speed 90 or higher, which means that a Trick Room team probably won't be using one of them unless they have Priority moves. The real hard part will be pulling the move off; Follow Me + Trick Room was really reliable before, but now that there are so many powerful pokemon with spread moves in the mix, they'll have to find sturdier users of the move than before.

TR Auto rain seems to work pretty well. Smeargle / Dusk / Kyogre (0spd -nature, macho Brace) / Wailord (Ospd -nature, macho brace). I'm sure it has a weakness, but man, speedy double waterspouts even hurt dragons!

Eruption?

Drug Duck said:
We will probably only experience a light shift to more Dragon and Water types being used,
This is why I just look at Typhlosion and just go "not this time buddy" as he walks off upset from the decision frowning from his loss of power that he had in 09.

I can't either see groudon being an erupter either, then again, if your one for surprises.. but hey that's just ones opinion, I'd love to see dragons and waters being beaten by something else in 10!

PokemonBattleBrain said:
10. Any other pokemon may be used (this includes Tyranitar and all Rotom forms!)
Since platinum is not my speciality, how are we going to use the rotom forms exactly in VGC?

EDIT: No wait, are rotom forms useable on the HG/SS Wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)