Pokemon World Tournament Thread

While Black and White 2 didn't give us an expanded Battle Frontier like previous generations, they did give us the alternative with the Pokemon World Tournament or PWT, where you can battle old Gym Leaders and Champions as well as having the Rental options like the Battle Factory. There's also the choice of Single, Doubles, Triples and Rotations!

So how did you like the PWT? Did you enjoy it or like it better than the Battle Subway? Did you like the Leader team rosters? Have you beaten it yet and with who? Particular strategies? How about the return of the nostalgic theme music?

I personally love the PWT and enjoy how it's not based on streaks where you are disqualified if you suddenly lost (I didn't like the 7 battles in a row thing so at least PWT is faster). Loved seeing the old gym leaders back and the Hoenn ones finally getting new sprites and the theme remixes- especially the Kanto Gym/Champion and Johto Champion teams are really epic and got the blood pumping.

I also love how the rosters aren't set in stone and the gym leaders actually have two teams to choose from depending on the tournament you chose. Makes things more dynamic and challenging. You also can't prepare for everything especially in World Leaders so battles can get very intense.

Surprisingly I did quite well just using my in-game team in Black 2 and just beat the Champions League recently (although for a good while I always had trouble with Wallace's team but finally beat him and the tournament). I used the Triple Battles since it was more fast-paced and I actually really liked the whole position-dependent strategies in this style.

Impish w/ Flying Gem
Inner Focus
-Acrobatics
-Poison Fang
-X-Scissor/Roost (Used X-Scissor early on which let it beat the frail Psychics but switched to Roost in the second half of World Leaders since X-Scissor wasn't cutting it anymore)
-Super Fang

Flying Gem Acrobatics was very useful to quickly KO anyone in the opposing team regardless of positions, most usually their strongest. Being able to use Acrobatics on the foe on the very farthest position while being safe from their attacks was a real boon. It was also surprisingly bulky and could survive most super effective hits which was why I decided to add Roost later on.

Timid w/ Brightpowder
Sturdy
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Tri Attack

Main powerhouse on the first half of the matches. I relied on Sturdy and its resistance to KO as much opponents as possible before fainting and Brightpowder hax really helps once in a while. Tri Attack was also really useful since the effects seem to happen more in PWT for me which is really lucky.

(as
)
Hasty w/ Scope Lens
Illusion
-Night Daze
-Foul Play/Hidden Power Fighting
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower

Makes Psychic gym leaders easy when disguised as Conkeldurr. Also the only time I can actually Nasty Plot is against them, otherwise I would try and hit as hard right off the bat with Night Daze, which usually almost KOs their strongest pokemon (which is on the same side). Foul Play was used early on and very reliable especially against frail Special Attackers, sometimes Night Daze missing would be very unlucky. Had trouble against Normal/fire neutral Steel types later on so switched to HP Fighting.

Bold w/ Focus Sash
Flame Body
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fire Blast
-Psychic

Originally had Expert Belt but it kept dying too easily from random Rock attacks which Focus Sash help remedied (also helped in setting up a Quiver Dance to outspeed the foe). I would switch Volcarona on the side that is safest for him to set up QD and sometimes rely on and wait when the last pokemon on both teams automatically shift to the centre before dishing out the boosted attacks. Psychic was the only reliable and accurate way to damage Fighting types after Crobat is down.

Jolly w/ Rocky Helmet
Torrent
-Waterfall
-Blizzard
-Megahorn
-Superpower

Samurott was built to be physical in my in-game run but I really needed something against the Dragon types so I used Blizzard. While not the most damaging due to Jolly it got the job done against the 4x Ice weak ones and it also hits 2 or 3 pokemon at the same time, useful when Samurott is in the middle. Also Freezing and Rocky Helmet damage helps. Not the most optimal moveset but it got the job done.

Brave w/ Quick Claw
Sheer Force
-Superpower
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

My go-to physical guy and Dragon killer once I kill as much Dragons with Samurott's Blizzard. Quick Claw really helped saved me in last pokemon battles (against Blue's Alakazam for example). Very satisfying when hax is your side especially against the amount of hax your opponents can have.

So yeah movesets aren't the best but as I said they were my in-game team so still very surprised to actually beat all the Leaders/Champions (in Triples anyway). Mostly had trouble with bulky waters because of a lack of Grass moves and Magnezone would eventually be worn down. Still sometimes I would get really good BP (I think highest was 12 or 13 one time) considering most times I'd get a low number.

Also I love the little detail where you could talk to the defeated trainers in the lobby and also hear some facts about them with the guy in the shades and suit. The only downside though is I really wish for completion's sake they gave us an Elite Four tournament (updated Hoenn E4 and Agatha/Lorelei sprites) and also Koga and Iris.

i generally prefer to play Rental Masters, which usually end up giving you some weird guys. imo the guys to grab for singles are those with DD: lead and play with it correctly, and you can get pretty easy 3-0s. there's also a bellyzard with flame charge that's pretty cool.

The BP you get after winning the tournament is 9 for singles, 12 for doubles and 18 for Triple/Rotation battles, losing 1 BP for every time a Pokémon of yours faints.

I like to play the Kanto Gym Leaders tournament, Rotation-style. I always bring a Shiftry with Nature Power/Dark Pulse/Solarbeam/filler, with a Drought Ninetales as a lead and a Gyarados or something in case I end up having to face Blaine. The other Pokèmon are the same way, countering Pokèmon Shiftry can't beat. Consider Shiftry has an advantage on Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Sabrina, Erica to an extent (if you get HP Fire), Janine (with Nature Power Earthquake), and Giovanni, you have a pretty good chance of just sweeping.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The BP you get after winning the tournament is 9 for singles, 12 for doubles and 18 for Triple/Rotation battles, losing 1 BP for every time a Pokémon of yours faints.
This has never happened to me even when I 3-0 everyone, the most I ever get is 2 from the leaders tournaments :(

Anyway I wanted to come up with a fun team to get through this as opposed to just Durant-ing it the whole way. I just used 3 of my favourites..

Zoroark (N's) @Expert Belt
Trait: Hasty
EV's: 4 hp, 252 SpA, 252 speed

Night Daze
Flamethrower
HP fighting
Calm Mind

Heatran @Choice Scarf
Trait: Modest
EV's: 4 hp, 252 SpA, 252 speed

Flamethrower
Flash Cannon
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse

Shedinja @Focus Sash
Trait: Adamant
EV's: 255 Atk, 255 speed

X-scissor
Shadow Sneak
Protect
Hone Claws

Pretty much just pose as Shedinja and the AI either switches or hits Zoro with a NVE move which gives him a chance to boost. I like Calm Mind because he's so frail it helps out. I had Hasty because I originally had U-turn over Hidden Power. Night Daze > Dark Pulse purely for flavour (we can still have fun with these games right?) As it turns out, Shedinja doesn't get Swords Dance upon evolution when Ninjask gets it this gen which is annoying but I don't really see an alternative. Heatran is a good pivot / backup and soaks up predicted fire moves and pairs with Shedinja well for a free switch if I need to change moves

(In the World Leaders and Champions tournaments only.)

Research question: It's possible to win a PWT round with all your Pokémon fainted; I have done this (via using Rocky Helmet; I'm guessing it uses the same tiebreaks as the VGCs). It seemed to follow the above formula when I did that. So if you somehow win all three rounds with no Pokémon left, do you get no BP? Or is there a minimum?

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
You get a minimum of 3 BP I'm pretty sure. However PWT is my favorite addition to BW2, it is extremely fun to play, and especially the Champions tournament, which has the pokemon with perfect IVs and good EVs. I found it out with my EV trained Garchomp, which had a Jolly nature and 25 IV in Spe. However he wa s outsped evrytime by Cynthia's. In Rotation battles, they all have their 4th pokemon as a Scarfer. I was impressed by now well Gamefreak implemented so many competitive themes in fone tournament. Bear in mind this was only in the Champions and World Leaders tournaments, and I only play on Challenge Mode, so it might not be there without it. It isn't a breeze to win Champions, especially with their random Focus Sashes and perfect IVed and EVed pokemon.

If only I could join a real pokemon tournament where I'm from. I'm from a small town. so yah, anyone know anything about starting a tournament?

If only I could join a real pokemon tournament where I'm from. I'm from a small town. so yah, anyone know anything about starting a tournament?
It's not that kind of tournament, this is a thread for the in game B2/W2 tournaments.

They're pretty neat. There's quite a bit of variety on trainers, but there's not many rounds per tournament.

I really Liked it, it wasn't outrageously difficult nor was it stupidly easy.Plus the Music was epic. The opponents pokemon and movesets were imaginative and in some cases very challenging ( eg. Volkners Electrivire )

i kinda wish they'd use more powerful pokemon; like, wallace could use drizzle politoed on his team and whatnot.

ahaha but then it'd be almost impossible for someone who doesn't pokesav or know about those kind of things to win at all, eh?

You get a minimum of 3 BP I'm pretty sure. However PWT is my favorite addition to BW2, it is extremely fun to play, and especially the Champions tournament, which has the pokemon with perfect IVs and good EVs. I found it out with my EV trained Garchomp, which had a Jolly nature and 25 IV in Spe. However he wa s outsped evrytime by Cynthia's. In Rotation battles, they all have their 4th pokemon as a Scarfer. I was impressed by now well Gamefreak implemented so many competitive themes in fone tournament. Bear in mind this was only in the Champions and World Leaders tournaments, and I only play on Challenge Mode, so it might not be there without it. It isn't a breeze to win Champions, especially with their random Focus Sashes and perfect IVed and EVed pokemon.
Pretty sure Challenge Mode doesn't really affect PWT.

I think another good thing about PWT is you don't get as much of a massive disappointment when a streak ends compared to the Battle Subway. Plus you get consolation prizes! (if you really need shards you can just enter then forfeit)

Also like the little detail with that guy with shades in the lobby saying some little trivia about each Gym Leader/Champion you've faced. Talking to them after you win a streak in the other side of the lobby is always fun.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just a little nitpick: you only get 12 BP from Rotation, since you only get to choose the same amount of Pokémon that you do in Doubles. Also yeah, this only applies to the World Leaders/Champions Tourneys.
Challenge Mode has no effect on PWT; it only affects the trainers you face outside of PWT, Battle Subway, & anything else in a similar vein. Same thing with Assist mode, iirc.

That said, if you take out the seemingly prevalent hax that tends to occur against you (Do not get me started on that), I actually found the PWT to be an enjoyable addition to BW2. If you are looking to get all the TM's, or get as many items as you can, this facility is a far more efficient way to get the desired BP (Provided you exclusively play World Leaders or Champions), especially if you have a strong team. Also, the competitive themes, as if you are playing more competitive opponents quickly relative to Subway only adds to the fun factor.

That said, I have also had some hilarious moments in PWT, like soloing the Champion's Tournament with a Flame Orb Sigilyph with the moveset: Cosmic Power/Roost/Stored Power/Psycho Shift. But then again, that is just me.

Overall, good facility, & I hope it gets used in later instalments... Hopefully.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion

I think another good thing about PWT is you don't get as much of a massive disappointment when a streak ends compared to the Battle Subway. Plus you get consolation prizes! (if you really need shards you can just enter then forfeit)

Also like the little detail with that guy with shades in the lobby saying some little trivia about each Gym Leader/Champion you've faced. Talking to them after you win a streak in the other side of the lobby is always fun.
I see then, they gave the perfect EVS and stuff without Challenge Mode. Thanks for the info. On the note of the Champions and stuff, the team I've found most effective was a bbalanced team or stall, as the opponents don't have human level AI, which means more defensive teams wreck them. Also I tried hyper offensive teams but random Focus Sashes ruined me. Another note about balanced and stall is that using them allows you to conserve pokemon and earn more BP at the end of the tournament.

I absolutely love the PWT! For me, I like to use pokemon that I find in the games, and abuse strategies that wouldn't be allowed competitively (such as evasion modifiers). I think of it as showing my disrespect to the stupid computer AIs. >;-)

I haven't yet explored the joys of weather abuse. I have been thinking about trying out that Whimsicott + Terakion combo. (Prankster Whimsicott Beat Up on Terrakion activates Justified four times for +4 att STAB Choice Scarf Rock Slides against the enemy team. Fun!!)

For now, this is the team I've come up with. The purpose of it is to have fun while accumulating BP. Let me know what you think! (Note, this is to be used in Doubles or Triples battles)

(Magic Guard)Clefable@Leftovers:Minimize/Cosmic Power/Protect/Stored Power
(Telepathy)Beheeyem@Light Clay:Simple Beam/Reflect/Light Screen/Recover
(Leaf Guard)Tangela@Evolite:Psych Up/Leech Seed/Substitute/Toxic
(Speed Boost)Yanmega@Lum Berry:Psych Up/Bug Buzz/Air Slash/Protect
(Marvel Scale)Milotic@Bright Powder:Psych Up/Scald/Aqua Ring/Swagger
(Own Tempo)Purugly@Silk Scarf:Fake Out/Psych Up/Quick Attack/Last Resort

The beginning of the match is important, I have to be careful and play defensively to keep my first two guys alive. Beheeyem will want to Simplify Clefable as early as possible so she can start throwing down +4 eva Minimize and +2 def / +2 spd Cosmic Powers. (After that, Dual Screen support is always welcome.) Every time Clefable uses one of her Simple boosts, it will increase the BP of Stored Power by 80, until she is sitting at +6 eva +6 def +6 spd (with her lovely HP and Leftovers recovery) and a 380 BP Psychic move. If I am facing a Dark type pokemon, I'll bring in Yanmega. Protect on turn 1 for a Speed Boost, Psych Up from Clefable, and go to town with Bug Buzz. Alternately, Tangela can come in and spread poison and seeds from behind a sub. Milotic and Purugly play nicely together, as Purugly can take Milotic's Swaggers without getting confused. It is fun an challenging to keep the Psych Up chain alive, and by the time Purugly is out there it is possible to end up with +6 eva +6 def +6 spd +6 spe (from yanmega) +6 att (from milotic) and a STAB/Silk Scarf Last Resort.
Is this a huge hassle and complete overkill? Yes. Is it thoroughly enjoyable to make the computer AI my personal biotch? Yes.

I know this is super old but I just wanna add in some discoveries I found while researching all the Battle facilities:

This goes for the right-hand-side Tournaments only. I don't think anyone cares about the left-hand-side. Gym Leaders have 20 IVs for their Pokemon's stats and Champions have 25 IVs.

And full list of other stats (by Kaphotics on projectpokemon.org):
World Leaders &Champions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12206225/pwt-main-opponents.htm
Regional Leaders: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12206225/pwt-bonus-sets.htm

I missed out on the bulk of 5th gen, as I was playing the TCG back then instead, so I'm retroactively going back and playing B2 and W these days. If/when I do build a team for PWT, I'm hoping I can take advantage of spread moves and redirecition a lot. Something like Excadrill/Tyranitar/Togekiss.

Haven't played for a few years, should I ev train my team and/or breed for decent iv's? Or would a team with good BST's and move pools be suffice for this?

Id like to say many people look down on B and W 2 just for trubbish ( even though muck was litterly moldy crap) i thought it was one of the best games and well made and really good pokemon, the replay value is really high with battle subway, PTW and all the other little sorta mini games all i wanted was for them to have the pokemon contests in Hoenn and Sinnoh not that dumb play thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)