Programming Pokepad: A collaborative teambuilder

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
EDIT: This is now out of date. See the new version at: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokepad-2-0-a-collaborative-teambuilder.3646613/
http://www.salty-nerd.com/pokepad

This thread is summarized at the bottom for people who have spent their reading energy elsewhere

Introduction
This project started a month or so back, when I was playing around with some new stuff and decided to try and build a basic chat application. I succeeded, and started to play around with what I could do from there. Of course, once the app got more complicated (read: something someone might use), I invited TheFenderStory, who once again did at least 50% of the work on this project. In the end, we decided to build a collaborative teambuilder, which I think has turned out pretty well. We were inspired in doing this by Lemonade's version of the same project, so credit definitely should go there.

What Pokepad does
Pokepad is a real-time collaborative teambuilder for competitive teams. It features full integration with Smogon sets, meaning you can change a Pokemon's moveset to a Smogon moveset with the click of a button. It also features live chat to communicate while building, ability to customize movesets in real-time, and (in my opinion), decent visuals. You can create a room and invite friends to teambuild with you in a much more efficient way than piratepad or a collaborative text editor.

What we will be adding
Things that are on our radar screens already include:
A better way to toggle EVs (e.g. slider maybe, not exactly sure)
Integrated damage calculator
Possible breakmyteam integration
A view-only mode, so you can invite others to watch a teambuilding session

How you can help
As always with these projects, this needs some work. If you find small glitches (or big ones I guess), have suggestions for improvements or new features, or just want to tell TheFenderStory and I how much you love us, please feel free to post here! If you are a coder, our GitHub for this project is http://github.com/Nineage/Pokepad. The code is horrifically messy, so good luck on that front.

Summary
Pokepad is a collaborative teambuilder. You can use it online! The link is:

I've come a long way since I first started doing programming work, and this is my favorite thing I've ever built. Just wanted to thank some people. This is sappy so go ahead and skip it.
jd4564 You aren't a smogoner but I first started doing this from bothering you, so thank you.
panpawn Thanks for always giving me advice on projects and stuff, you've taught me a ton about the working of stuff. Also Gold is kinda mediocre.
Sparkychild Austin @CreaturePhil Coders I've worked on servers with, thanks for inspiring me to work on cool stuff.
dsr95 Coconut Quote Berks BASED Infamy Corporal Levi LCers I most frequently harass about my projects. Sorry for being a pain at times, but thanks for all of your input guys!
OrdA You always spot the little things, and are always down to chat with me about the latest projects, so thanks for that.
rssp1 I secretly love you.

TheFenderStory Dude, you suck.

Last edited:

panpawn

You Can't See Me
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
panpawn Thanks for always giving me advice on projects and stuff, you've taught me a ton about the working of stuff. Also Gold is kinda mediocre.
um excuse u gold is amazing

but yea seriously nice job! if you need anymore advice feel free to ask zzz

(o.o)b

So, I used Pokepad yesterday, and it's really, really good. The only thing that I think that you need to improve is the text cutoff, how Lemonade said. Keep doing the hard work, man!

panpawn

You Can't See Me
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I try importing a Pokemon, it isn't working.

Here's what I tried:
Code:
Tirtouga (M) @ Berry Juice 
Ability: Solid Rock 
Level: 5 
Shiny: Yes 
EVs: 252 Def / 236 SpD 
- Stealth Rock 
- Scald 
- Aqua Jet 
- Shell Smash

Here's what I tried:
Code:
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash
Thanks for the report Panpawn. Looks like we forgot to account for shiny's in imports. I'll get that fixed.

Here's what I tried:
Code:
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash
Actually panpawn, we fixed the shiny issue, turns it the problem is because you don't have a nature in your set. We default the nature to serious now if none is provided.

Looks like too many of you have been using Pokepad to the point that heroku is asking me to pay to continue hosting it due to high traffic. On one hand, thats super awesome its getting used, on the other, i'll have to come up with a new hosting solution. I'll keep you all posted.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It doesn't work and I don't know why
You're going to have to be specific. The site appears to both load fine and work for me. What aspect isn't working? What browser are you using? What have you tried to do? I can't fix a bug without knowing what the bug is.

If the issue is that the site is completely inaccessible, that's probably an issue with your firewall.

You're going to have to be specific. The site appears to both load fine and work for me. What aspect isn't working? What browser are you using? What have you tried to do? I can't fix a bug without knowing what the bug is.

If the issue is that the site is completely inaccessible, that's probably an issue with your firewall.
Now it's working well xD

I think its a known issue with this app that pokemon with dashed names seem to cause problems. Most likely something we forgot to account for when we were building it. I'll poke at it and see what i can find.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dunno if it's just pumpkaboo, but I can't import its sets and its sprite isn't showing up. different formes don't work either.

This is amazing! Thank you so much!
Only large problem is that when I import my sets it doesn't recognize the item and I have to type that in.

Apart from that, love it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)