POKKEN

RODAN

Banned deucer.

this shits out, and it is extremely good + fun.

im really digging garchomp so far, he has some really nifty tricks. i love his burrow move which u can use to dodge shit.

lets talk pokemon pokken edition!

also fight me sometime

Just curious, how friendly is this game to new comers. I just started playing fighting games, I am pretty bad so I want to have a good place to start.

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just curious, how friendly is this game to new comers. I just started playing fighting games, I am pretty bad so I want to have a good place to start.
I dislike playing fighting game cause I'm always bad at them (though it's fun to watch) but so far I've been doing fine in this and the tutorials are really helpful, so I'd say it's beginner friendly.

Been only using Garchomp so far... he's just so fun to use. Oh and I absolutely love the character customization.

I'm generally ok at fighting games (nowhere near tournament level, but I can do general dial-a-combos and I enjoy randomly playing Smash, MK, Tekken, and SF), but Pokken...from what I've watched on YouTube, it just doesn't look that interesting to me for some reason. I get it isn't necessarily a traditional fighting game, but it just doesn't really look that fun watching the vids, seems pretty slow paced too. It'll be one I'm definitely going to rent and try before picking up, but the initial impressions for me was that it's kinda eh.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokken Master here

First off, great game. Easy to pick up, hard to be great at, makes for a good game in my eyes. Now i'll post some day one thoughts on the game. As Lady Bug said, character customization is fantastic in this game, not very important to a fighting game such as this but still good to have. Mega Gengar is strong as all fucking hell and basically a round win if you get it. Sceptile has fantastic zoning capabilities from the few times i've played it online, very hard to play against imo. Power really does mean power in this game, Machamp, Garchomp, Chandy are all super strong. Machamp in particular seems like it will be a very good character from the limited times i've seen it, 2 hits and half your health is gone. Suicune from watching videos seems insane in the correct hands (watch the video on mute shofu yells a lot for some reason). Not a great big fan of speed characters so far but the game has only been out for a day. I played online with Gangnam Style earlier tonight, very smooth, no lag. Overall this game is super enjoyable and much better than I expected (nintendo has a tendency to fuck things up), if you use this post, or this thread for that matter to influence your decision purchase of this game I would say it's worth the money and you will have a very good time while playing this game.

Last edited:
I've been using only weavile and the speed is extremely rewarding. It makes it easy for punishes and hard to punish which comes with the trade off of you can be killed after a couple of combos. If your reaction time is good enough you can get in some really good chip combos while waiting on your syn boost. I played about 50 games with my brother earlier today/night(its like 4am so?) and haven't really seen any thing that is OP or too strong. It is very well balanced and EVERYONE has some form of downside that can be exposed while their strength can be abused. With that being said tho we are both "bad" at the game so I cant really say for sure.

Mega Gengar is so crazy lol, get a grab heal so much back and deal a ton/overall they should be dead from the raw damage but regular gengar killed if you sneeze on him, perfect.

Oh and Pikachu Libres combo game is out of this world beautiful. With that being said they have to get you in dual phase then get in but once they're in, they're in.

This game exceeded what I thought since the only other fighting games I've ever really played is Smash and Tatsunoko V Capcom from og wii. Well worth my 60.

this game is fun. if you're on the fence about buying it, I'd highly suggest you just go through with it. Regardless if you have no experience with fighting games like me, the game is enjoyable. The game is basic but it has a nice amount of depth. The customization is fantastic for people like me who loving dressing up pixelated characters. The visuals are great which is to be expected from a nintendo game. Each character feels unique (I don't know much about the differences between pikachu/libre and mewtwo/shadowmewtwo but im sure they have their own moves) and their moves feel true to their design. On the other hand the announcer/helper lady is really annoying, so just mute her after you get the basics down because she talks way tooo much. The games single player is kind of limited. The story/league mode is extremely boring and lengthy, but should be played through just to unlock everything and get your feet on the ground. The netcode from the game seems really well done from my limited experience playing with Rodan.

this game was an amazing purchase and gives me a reason to start using my wiiu again.

mewtwo and shadow mewtwo look pretty different from what i've read. while mewtwo is in the second-highest tier for HP (630), shadow mewtwo has the smallest health pool in the game (480) and a ton of offensive moves that self-damage.

I think i'll pick this thing up soon...

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So what are all these phase things I keep hearing announced about during a match anyways?
I believe the phases are when the game is in a 3D mode like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (or whatever its called) or when its in the classic 2D mode like Street Fighter.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Braixen is my waifu, and I will smack anyone who says that any other is superior

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suicune has to be the most difficult to play with early on right?
as far as I can tell, Gengar seems the most difficult to play.
So what are all these phase things I keep hearing announced about during a match anyways?
I believe the phases are when the game is in a 3D mode like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (or whatever its called) or when its in the classic 2D mode like Street Fighter.
^that.

You can switch between the battles phases during the course of a match by landing certain moves on your opponent. Some Pokemon are much stronger in certain phases than others (Chandy, Braxien, Gard are very good in the 3d Phase (the name currently escapes me) while characters with stronger combo games are better in the 2d Phase.

I saw some interesting Garchomps online, apparently you're able to dig and cancel it, giving you many more options coming out of the ground. You can attack straight up, jump and attack, grab i think and something else. Meaning that as someone playing against Garchomp you have to decide which of the 4 options your opponent is going to do while underground.

Another thing i'm really enjoying with this game is that there doesn't seem to be a "bad character". Every playable Pokemon is good, and bad in their own way and people online are quickly finding ways to make every character better as time goes on, that's a little obvious since it's a new game but you can learn something else every day you play this game right now. It's got a lot of depth considering it's a Pokemon game

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I am in LOVE with Machamp, I tend to go for the brute brawlers in fighting games and holy man does Machamp deliver in this one. So gratifying to land combos and hits with him.

Gardevoir I think is the hardest to get the hang of, and I haven't watched any high level matches yet but I'm having a hard time believing that it's supposedly a top-tier character.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my whole input was how cute some mons are over others.

but i p much agree with chandy's placement bc chandy's beam is hotdamn

also down y > hex is a cute combo

also i like taking souls.

that's about it. i havent started playing this super seriously. im just along for the ride for now.

also unfixable where the hell is garde at on your list

and sceptile too wtf bro you're missin mons...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Never claimed Machamp was very good, just super fun to play as. Definitely way more fun than Weavile 9.9

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Braixen is my waifu, and I will smack anyone who says that any other is superior
basically this. For a whole day I played nothing but Braixen and god damn, lots of great stuff (especially the boomerang thing that unfixable mentioned, leads into a ton of cool stuff). The only other character I've played as since is Pikachu, who I don't enjoy quite as much as Braixen. I haven't played any human player (other than one online who had an excruciatingly bad Weavile), so when I look at people discussing placement of characters that I haven't played as or against yet, I get pretty overwhelmed. i'll just stick to the combo dojo with Braixen :))

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm gonna be at a small tournament at GenCon in August, and while I still love Braixen...I'm starting to realize that she's more than a little spammy. As such, I'm working on my Mewtwo rn. Any tips, tricks, etc for a fledgling geneticist?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)