Policy regarding game mechanics of older generations

Should we follow game mechanics strictly in older generations?

• Total voters

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the people talking about Stadium were just referencing the fact that we used Stadium sleep clause for almost 4 whole generations of pokemon.

We've been using our mechanics for around a decade now, I don't see the point in fixing what isn't broken. RBY would be borderline unplayable if we didn't make the slight tweaks to the game that were made so long ago in the prime of that generation. It's not like gen5 where the biggest mechanics issue we have to worry about is switching out a sleeping pokemon, there are genuinely gamebreaking mechanics that are easily abusable in RBY. Freezing, infinite PP, varying crit rates, etc. I'll trust that they knew what they were doing when they made that policy.

Keep RBY/GSC/ADV how they are, there is no reason to go back and change anything EVER. They are frozen metagames that only a small percentage of the Pokemon playing population even plays. If you want to adhere to strict RBY rules, NetBattle has a built in option to play with Stadium changes, a real Freeze Clause, Sleep Clause, Hyper Beam mechanics changes, fixed Focus Energy, etc. I believe this option should be included in all sims
I'm confused as to why you posted this and then voted for adhering to strict RBY game mechanics in the poll, the two seem to contradict each other.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
RBY has used classic Sleep Clause long before Stadium was ever created, Stadium implementing it just gives us retroactive justification for keeping it. Just leave the shit alone anyway, why does everything have to be intensely scrutinized for no reason these days. ;/

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
RBY has used classic Sleep Clause long before Stadium was ever created, Stadium implementing it just gives us retroactive justification for keeping it. Just leave the shit alone anyway, why does everything have to be intensely scrutinized for no reason these days. ;/
No it hasnt..

We didnt have classic sleep clause until netbattle. Which means we have only been playing with the current sleep clause for like, 5 years, which are also the 5 years during which comparatively very little rby has been played.

Have a nice day.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Retroactively tweaking is only a justifiable argument in certain situations.

For instance: in GSC whether we allow Celebi, evasion, sleep-perish trapping, or hidden power legends isnt so much a question of changing the rules from what they were at the time, it is a question of choosing which ruleset from the time of GSC we want to follow now.

Using freeze clause in RBY also is not a question of retroactively tweaking, but actually a question of whether or not to overturn retroactive tweaking.

Sleep clause in rby is actually pretty justifiable. Basically the idea is once you sleep the second poke, you switch around until the slept poke wakes up. This has no impact on the battle at all due to no timed effects, no spikes and no leftovers. Not that this is even necessary, especially if cart sleep clause is being used in bw.

What I mean is, some wiggle room should be applied to older gens, except that there is no need whatsoever for wiggle room to be applied to older gens in most cases. The only case I see with a strong argument for defying the game mechanics is Adv sleep and freeze clause. Which - actually come to think of it, ADV was played on bots, so that argument doesnt really hold either.. But I was going to say in advance we only played on nb which always had sleep and freeze clauses.

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)