Policy Review

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I supported the creation of Policy Review at its inception because I saw it as a way to get that sort of thing out of Inside Scoop, and it would help increase visibility of important topics. Having a separate forum for it allows this increased visibility to remain, but I feel the "exclusive access" has outlived its purpose. This is the reason I favored it being removed; I would rather have a more open (as in anyone can post) forum for important discussions.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I supported the creation of Policy Review at its inception because I saw it as a way to get that sort of thing out of Inside Scoop, and it would help increase visibility of important topics. Having a separate forum for it allows this increased visibility to remain, but I feel the "exclusive access" has outlived its purpose. This is the reason I favored it being removed; I would rather have a more open (as in anyone can post) forum for important discussions.
But isn't this the goal of Stark right now? The few times I do look at the main page of Stark, it is usually a shit show. People going off topic, people making bad jokes, others simply trolling. Then on top of that, you don't usually see the atrocious posts that are moderated and you begin to wonder. The Policy Review as it stands today allows for more competent and better debates. The posters that we have given access to actually care about the problems and talk about problems rationally without all the commotion of the 'one-liner idiots' or the people that often add nothing to a discussion. Though it may be elitist and non-populist, I think we should still include the privileges motif that was in the original PR. If we are worried that we aren't reaching out to the common player then we need to be more diligent about adding posters who take time to think about what they are saying.

In all honestly, if make Policy Review an open forum I have the opinion that it may turn into another Stark. I think we need to think about this a bit more.

If people post something dumb in an important thread, be liberal with the infractions and deletions. Eventually, the 'idiots' will either get the hint or be banned. Either way, they won't be mucking up any discussions.
This is a good point, however this won't deter all the idiots. We are always going to have people that "muck up discussion". Sure it'll help, but there will always be a rotten apple(s) that see to derailing topics.

(I just wanna add that this is in no way a swipe at the Stark Mods. I actually commend you guys since I don't think I would have the patience nor the energy to moderate as much as you guys do. Thanks)

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I see that policy review has been restored, but nothing has been said about it in this thread (i apologize if I somehow glossed over it). What is the status of PR now? Is it back for good or temporarily until we come to a consensus about what to do?

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Policy Review is staying.

I think moving it under Competitive is a good idea, tbh. Unless there's opposition, I'll go ahead and do it tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)