~Poliswirls Rain Team!~

Hello everyone, I am new to this Smogen website so if I make any mistakes please point them out. Anyways, I am looking for criticism and opinions for my first ever rain team. The reason why I choose to make a rain team was because I saw alot of people running rain teams which made me really want to make one as well;D Ok, so moving on, my rain team is I think a typical rain team at first glance, but its moveset are a lil bit different from the natural which is what I prefer in any team unless the moveset is its best choice.

Politoed (M) @ Water Gem
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hypnosis

Ok, so first is the obvious...Politoed. I never really knew of this creature until I experience rain teams in the OU environment, but now that I know a little bit more about this creature I really like it. EVs are spread to SAtk and SDef just because it fits Politoed. The moveset on the other hand is(I think) a lil different than what I normally face.(the typical hydro pump, focus blast, HP grass, ice beam with Choice Specs) This is how it works, If I see a poke that may contain electric attacks, I would switch Jolteon in place of Politoed to make the electric attack useless or whiscash to make the attack useless and set up with DD. The reason why I have hypnosis even though it lacks in accuracy may sometimes be useful for me to stall with toxic and protect. Hydro pump is just there for a crazy STAB move and with water gem and rain combined, it is capable of tearing down most walls in the metagame.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Roost

I love Dragonite ever since it was introduced and especially now because of its new ability, multiscale which basically halves the damage taken from full HP. So moving on, with Dragonite having so many resistances espeically from grass and water, he can easily set up by using thunder wave to slow the poke down then roost from the damage taken if he did any or if not use substitute to check what his next move would be, if not roost for full HP and get back Dragonite's ability, multiscale or if not, dragon tail(great move esp. with STAB) to switch your opponent's pokemon.

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Toxicroak, my late game finisher is just a great poke. With its ability Dry skin and its held item, black sludge,to restore HP I believe 1/8 of its total HP each turn and with sub and bulk up, this poke can easily kill. His main STAB is drain punch to gurantee he always has max HP and with any opposing psychic or ghost poke that tries to come in to kill Toxi, Toxicroak will not make it easy for them because of its sucker punch. I love Toxicroak enough said.

Jolteon (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Heal Bell
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Jolteon is a new member to the team because of its great speed and SAtk. I have Thunder because with rain, Thunder will never miss and is a strong STAB move. All of you may be wondering why do I have magnet rise, well, first off, I have air balloon as well to make ground pokes look stupid when they try to use earthquake, and when they realize that they cant hit me with earthquake until they pop the balloon they wont realize that I used magnet rise to make ground useless. Heal bell is there because if Jolteon is fighting against a stall poke that may rely on will-o-wisp or toxic(not thunder wave because I am immune to electric attacks, I can just blow it away because of heal bell and not only Jolteon, my party pokemon as well;D HP fighting is there instead of ice because I want to hit opposing pokes that can possibly draw in electric atks such as Mamoswine and Gastrodon.

Whiscash (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Dragon Dance

Whiscash I have to say is a sexy pokemon no joke. First off it can do what Jolteon can do, draw in electric attacks. Since thats good and its only weakness is grass, and with leftovers and rest, it will be hard to take him down. When other pokes think they can kill this beast with a STAB earthquake(which sometimes it does because of stupid crit hax) it will just say kiss my tailbone B**** when it Dragon Dances to high levels therefore able to kill most of the metagame except my arch enemy, Ferro..;v/

Ferrothorn (M) @ Red Card
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 200 Atk / 172 Def / 138 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Substitute

Natural Ferro with held item red card to kick the current opponents poke out. This is useful because when Ferro sets up stealth rock it can replace the opponents poke to a different one to do damage. Ferro is a my favorite;D

First off, I noticed something weird with your ev spreads. On some, you gave 255 evs on two stats, which goes over the limit of 252 per, and you didn't include the extra 4 you get when you maxed two stats out.

On to the team specifics. I would strongly recommend changing Politoed's set. It seems like a weird combination of a modified Defensive moveset and a 3 Attacks EV spread that doesn't accomplish either role particularly well. Decide on a specific set to use, otherwise Politoed will just suck in general. Your concept of Hypnosis working with Toxic is also misguided, as Poison and Sleep cannot be active at the same time. The Water Gem needs to be scrapped too, as the Defensive and three attacks sets need leftovers, and choice sets obviously need choice items.

On to Dragonite. The Parashuffler set seems out of place in this team, as it's weak to steel types, which love the rain. I would replace it with the Rain Tank set, which benefits from the rain much more, and even retains Dragon Tail.

I would also put more emphasis on Toxicroak's ability as a bulky attacker, otherwise a bulk up set seems like a waste, especially with dry skin. I would personally replace Whiscash with something like Quagsire or Swampert, but that's your choice. In terms of general team structure, you might want a way to incorporate Spikes, since two of your Pokemon force switches very well.

@DrunkDemon, well I kinda wanna keep my Dragonite set the way it is since it forces switches, and even if a steel poke comes in, it will just be getting pushed back by d-tail, and no one will really know it will have that, because everyone knows the typical rain Dragonite set. Can you explain why the hurricane and thunder set is better than my set. Also, give more detail on Politoed, I dont get it, thanx for the criticism

The Rain Tank set uses Dragon Tail too, and it's better because hurricane and thunder get perfect accuracy in rain. I'm not really sure how my portion on Politoed was unspecific, what in particular didn't you understand?

1) It's using bulky offensive evs with a defensive moveset (also, I would probably use health instead of spd if you go bulky offense since it wants to take all kinds of hits due to low speed). Don't invest in offense when toxic and protect are for stalling, since it's defense won't be enough to stay alive. Don't use defensive evs if your intention is hit and run like with choice and your water gem set, because it either won't have the speed or power to do the job. Basically, it won't be very good at either job since you invested in both set types, so it will more then likely end up dying without much use.

2) Choice Specs is completely superior to Water Gem on an offensive set since it has the same bonus, but has a constant effect. With Water Gem, you'd probably use politoed once and then it wouldn't have enough power. With Choice Specs you KO the opposing mon, switch out, rinse and repeat.

3) Toxic and Hypnosis are useless together, since a mon may only have one status at a time. If you choose a defensive set, pick only one.

Try whirlwind on Dragonite since this is a rain team.
I don't think it even learns that.

I can't believe you all missed the obvious. That Dragonite has SpA EVs despite having no Special Attacks. It should have Leftovers too. So that Multiscale isn't broken in Sand.

And why do you want Red Card on Ferrothorn? You want to switch into things it walls, then force them out as they take entry hazard damage. Red Card does that FOR the OPPONENT and essentially gives THEM the advantage. The only thing I can think of is against Magnezone, but since it's Raining you might as well run Bull Doze or Shed Shell instead of the useless Red Card. Things like Thunder Wave and Gyro Ball are much better uses for the last move slot too.

Since Toxicroak is Bulk Up, you want it bulky. So I recommend a spread of 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef instead. Also use Leftovers. You don't want Rotom-W Tricking away your Black Sludge and then giving it to your Dragonite or Ferrothorn do you?

Jolteon needs Hidden Power Ice over Fighting. And a Timid nature because it DOES get outsped by things that it should be killing if it runs Modest. I can think on top of my head Starmie. And although you think Magnet Rise is good for covering its ground weakness, you're better off switching right into Dragonite any ways. So I suggest using Choice Specs, Life Orb, or Expert Belt over Air Balloon, and then replacing Magnet Rise with Substitute or Shadow Ball (depending on the item).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)