Political Compass

heh, NC (or should I call you Milton Friedman) I had the exact same feelings about some of those questions. I think I hedged my answers to the super loaded questions which probably pushed me towards the center more. I definitely don't identify as a centrist economically, so the hedging could be part of the explanation but another potential explanation is that I'm not as market-friendly as I think.

there was also the question to the effect of "do you agree that an advantage of a one-party system is decreased deadlock"... well no shit, but isn't that kind of a no brainer? the issue is that this begs the question of whether the disadvantages to a one-party system outweigh the advantage and whether the lack of deadlock is a good thing in the first place (I think the question wording evaded this) :/ that question was especially irritating.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Espeon: more liberal than Lanturn

Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.10

will be interesting to see how this looks with more data. Hope you guys keep updating.

heh, NC (or should I call you Milton Friedman) I had the exact same feelings about some of those questions. I think I hedged my answers to the super loaded questions which probably pushed me towards the center more. I definitely don't identify as a centrist economically, so the hedging could be part of the explanation but another potential explanation is that I'm not as market-friendly as I think.

there was also the question to the effect of "do you agree that an advantage of a one-party system is decreased deadlock"... well no shit, but isn't that kind of a no brainer? the issue is that this begs the question of whether the disadvantages to a one-party system outweigh the advantage and whether the lack of deadlock is a good thing in the first place (I think the question wording evaded this) :/ that question was especially irritating.
Haha yes, for the globalization question my thought process was something like: "Well I am pro globalization because it will help humanity, but if I put "agree" here the test will see me as anti-globalization so what do I do?" I believe I ended up "compromising" and putting Disagree.

Also I am highly curious what the effect of putting "Strongly agree" for that one-party system question had on my results. And the other questions I listed in my post for that matter, what does astrology have to do with my political leanings?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've done one of these before, but this one has some very biased questions like "A woman should primarily be a homemaker" and "My race is superior to others", and yet it has nothing like "You hate your country" or "You learned everything you know about the world from a book".

Ah yes, and the one party system thing you know gives Authoritarianism (more Republican than Democrat), but I know just as many Democrats who would do away with Republicans.

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The test itself isn't too bad, but their attempts at evaluating famous politicians are silly. They put everyone in the US center and right. Yes, the US tends center and right and we have relatively conservative candidates, but it doesn't exactly take a radical liberal to score in the bottom of the green section.

It looked even more arbitrary in 08. They had all the presidential candidates on there, and then Mike Gravel switched to the Libertarian Party without changing any issues. The website claimed he basically did a political 180, shifting his dot all the way to the right, yet his stance on not a single issue changed. It looked like they just kind of put dots where they felt like the politicians should be.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

that was -2.00 for left / right and -5.59 for authoritarian / libertarian

This wasn't nearly expansive enough to be really telling, and like someone said before, too many loaded questions without a fair balance of what "the other side's" loaded questions would be.

Economic Left/Right: 2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.62

EDIT: a bit farther down and right now.

Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Lib/Authoritarian: 3.38

Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

i remember taking this test in grade 8 and not knowing what it meant at all. it seems about right now though. also some of the questions are absolutely hilarious, with my favourite being:

Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

Economic Left/Right: 2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.08

I've taken this a couple of times, and that's about where i fall every time. There are so many loaded questions though...

I honestly thought it to be a quite a bit more towards Authoritarian, but I fully expected it to be only a tad to the left.

There was one question on the test that said "some people are naturally unlucky" I put agree because I think that people born into poverty or with diseases can be considered unlucky but it was on the same page that asked about astrology so I was uncertain whether it was trying to get at something supernatural. How did you all interpret this question?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I knew that I would be right/libertarian so it was merely a question of to what extent.

Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

I dislike the wording of some of the questions... for example; I strongly agreed that "governments should penalise businesses that mislead the public", but it should read "governments should enforce the law to penalise businesses that mislead the public". The actual wording is vague and could be interpreted as impromptu market intervention, which I would strongly disagree with.

Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Apparently our family is very right-wing so I'm pretty sure I did badly. There really needs to be an "unsure" option though >_>

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some of the questions are really badly written and confuses my answer... I expected to be more Authoritarian considering my "people are really stupid" way of thinking.

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I consider myself fairly right-wing, so I have been quite surprised when I got this result, almost exactly the same as I had last time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)