1. The moderators of this forum are shade, internet, and VonFiedler.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Serious Political Correctness and Race

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Chou Toshio, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

Back on topic, it seems like the bill is targeted at the BDS movement, and those guys are a real piece of work. Not that the bill shouldn't be blocked, even J Street are saying it's gone too far. Misleading headline or not it's probably a smelly bill.

*yawn* You guys can continue talking about being PC now.
  2. Myzozoa

Myzozoa I did then what I knew. Now that I know better, I do better.
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

could you be more clear about why the headline is misleading

oh, okay, in that case ill pack up my things and head to israel right away.

lawl no

if you read the context

there was no war between arab countries and israel before the Nakba, Israel didn't exist before the Nakba for one thing.

"The 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine was the first phase of the 1948 Palestine war. It broke out after the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted a resolution on 29 November 1947 recommending the adoption of the Partition Plan for Palestine.[5]

During the civil war, the Jewish and Arab communities of Palestine clashed (the latter supported by the Arab Liberation Army) while the British, who had the obligation to maintain order,[6][7] organized their withdrawal and intervened only on an occasional basis."

so uh what arab countries were fighting a war against israel when Palestine was under the British Mandate and Israel didnt exist?? I missed it

and then it goes on:

"When the British Mandate of Palestine expired on 14 May 1948 (i.e one day before the nakba), and with the Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel, the surrounding Arab states, Egypt, Transjordan, Iraq and Syria invaded what had just ceased to be Mandatory Palestine,[8] and immediately attacked Israeli forces and several Jewish settlements.[9] The conflict then turned into the 1948 Arab–Israeli War."

my additions in bold, all the easier for you to read them in

anyway im done playing the game of 'guess what event in the long history of this shit du is trying to refence to avoid talking about israel's current day apartheid regime' which has been mentioned in this thread already.
    TheValkyries likes this.
  3. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

Like I said, the folks lobbying the bill want to curb the BDS. The article runs with that and describes some big mouth shutting phenomenon that may or may not exist... That's like if the govt wanted to fine mcdonalds for its health practices and some dude went up and said "fast food joints everywhere are getting shut down". As someone who has seen plenty of televised boycott rallies in us universities, well, if they really are punishing students for rallying, it sure isn't working.

Btw, it's really daft of you to say israel not existing before '48 ignores all the violence that was leading up to the war.....
  4. Myzozoa

no i correctly point out that this violence consisted in a civil war and factional infighting, not a war between 'Arab states' against israeli. i didnt ignore any violence i actually put a descriptor on it.
  5. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

Uhhh.. I'm gonna ignore "in-fighting". What's your point. All dunk said was that the situation was fucked up and he was right. Definitions doesn't really have anything to do with it.
  6. Myzozoa

my point from last page, nothing to do with a 'definition' (idk what ur whining about), but a historical event that actually took place in a context:

"when israel expels palestinians by making conditions unlivable for them or economically impossible, then they become refugees, 'destabilizing' all the states around israel."

hence why they go to war against israel when the expel 100000's of the palestinians on may 15, 1948...

before that it was a more 'internal' conflict to the territory

go read du posts too, thats not all he said lol
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. Myzozoa

wat?

so the headline
    'J STREET, A RELIABLE FOE OF BDS, URGES CONGRESS TO OPPOSE ISRAEL ANTI-BOYCOTT ACT FOR NOW"
    is misleading, according to you, because the article goes into the events and things that have happened to lead people to conclude that this law is attempting to impede bds movements?

like lol if this law is passed you won't see anymore bds rallies because theyll be illegal and your thought is 'well it hasn't worked yet so how bad can this law be'

i suggest a simple google search if you want to know what students organizing bds deal with as far as being punished

whos a bad troll??
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  8. Blue_Tornado

Blue_Tornado

I'm not defending the bill (just read my first post), I'm saying the article blows things up from the other end. You don't have to make me look up why the freaking bds needs pity, no one is forcing these kids to get involved with a toxic group that doesn't even do any good to the conflict in the first place

If you wanna tell me more about the poor bds organizers you can take it up with me in pm because I'm 70% sure we're off topic
    thesecondbest likes this.
  9. Myzozoa

slide into my dms if you must

some of 'those kids' involved in bds are palestinian refugees, but yeah they shouldn't get involved right? not like they have family there or anything.
    SOMALIA and thesecondbest like this.
  10. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown make it painless
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Dude, do you even read what you are posting? You answered your own question literally 1 line above it. Now if you could be so nice to click the link that you yourself posted, the arab countries that you're asking about are in that link. It's really hard to discuss anything if you're just copypasting random lines and not even reading them yourself, because if you don't even know what you have written in your posts it probably means you're not reading what everyone else is writing either.

Besides, even in the context of the 1947 Civil War, it was started by Palestinian Arabs, so what I was saying in my posts still stands. And now please either read, or improve your reading comprehension. This is from your link too, btw:

According to the Arab League general Safwat:

Despite the fact that skirmishes and battles have begun, the Jews at this stage are still trying to contain the fighting to as narrow a sphere as possible in the hope that partition will be implemented and a Jewish government formed; they hope that if the fighting remains limited, the Arabs will acquiesce in the fait accompli. This can be seen from the fact that the Jews have not so far attacked Arab villages unless the inhabitants of those villages attacked them or provoked them first.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  11. Shrug

Shrug
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

questioning why we have 14 pages on dudes heartfelt feelings / bitching about the tyranny of overzealous college sophomores and biased forum mods when the movement the latter two censure is ascendant, getting up to all sorts of hijinks like such as for example terrorism and armed marches in the defense of white supremacy. seems, uhhh, incommensurate with the relative threats
  12. mew-2Chainz

mew-2Chainz

Watching Trump and his supporters be so wishy-washy about white nationalists and neo-nazis is not suprising but still incredibly frustrating.

These aren't just people who want to yell obscenities at me that'll hurt my fragile libtard feelings. These people want to see me and my whole family dead. This is not a game.
  13. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio Over9000
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

@ Charlottesville episode-- All we can do at this point is hope that bad ideas do die in the forum of public thought. If what I and other free speech hard liners believe is true, than this episode should be part of Trump's undoing.

Logically, I really want to say it will be. Many factors look favorable-- many things looking bad for Trump!

Emotionally, it's hard to deny the real fear generated by this turn of events-- the crazy voices are not disappearing no matter how much I look through comments on Fox/Breitbart content.

It's all about how much faith you have in humanity to disavow hate and idiocy, and Trump's base is giving us every reason to lose more of that faith by the minute.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM
  14. Tera Melos

Tera Melos formerly Hasukura

Sadly, very little.
    Chou Toshio likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)