Serious Political problems in your country?

Dat pro-business PPACA?
Pro-business is correct. The law is a bald-faced boon to big insurance companies who profit from not covering people. They practically wrote the damn thing. Or at least cut in tons of loopholes from the Heritage Foundation version of it. The whole thing is the legislative equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine -- it takes something that should be simple and overcomplicates it. Sure, we got a few token bones like removing pre-existing conditions as an excuse for denying coverage, but then we gave those same companies thousands of new customers. Meanwhile, even after some states accepted the medicare expansion, we still have a ton of people caught in the coverage gap. So much for Single Payer. And so much for negotiating drug prices, too. No matter what idiots like Michelle Bachman or John Boehner tell you, big insurance still runs the show -- no punishment or substantive scorn, just accepting the evil they commit as given.

Last edited:
The Canadian government is currently corrupt and and not getting any better. Ever since Stephen Harper came in as the Prime Minister of Canada, it was okay for the most part, up until about a year ago we've been discovering a bunch of bullshit stuff going on in the government, ALL of it is them trying to make money. The world had become centralized around money and physical possession, and it has spread to Canada, a land that was once righteous and was the essence of chivalry. The civil population still practises these traditions, but government officials have taken a very dark turn towards money, even over their responsibility to our country, and overall, our world.

Stephen Harper's a fucking idiot, though, and most people I've talked to don't exactly contest that. He's been pouring a shitload of resources into the military as well, for... why? We're like 500 million in debt or some shit.

Either way, he's part of a fiscally conservative party; it's not exactly a strange idea that he'd support capitalism in all of its inequalities.

Stephen Harper's a fucking idiot, though, and most people I've talked to don't exactly contest that. He's been pouring a shitload of resources into the military as well, for... why? We're like 500 million in debt or some shit.

Either way, he's part of a fiscally conservative party; it's not exactly a strange idea that he'd support capitalism in all of its inequalities.
We have no need for military at this time... Facing the facts, everyone's gonna use nuclear weapons, blackmail, and the EXTREMELY rare specialized hit team for whatever purpose. Canada has banned nuclear weapons to ever come onto Canadian soil, and we have the USA to back us when it comes to military and combat, our countries need this trust and dependency for the continual function that is vital to the survival of North America. Overall we need a leader who puts more money into economic and civil services, instead of the crap Harper feeds us daily.

Matteo Renzi just became the Prime Minister of Italy.
I'm honestly not sure what to think about him. Yeah he was elect without actual elections, and is the third president nominated in this way(Mario Monti and Enrico Letta before him), and he is quite similar to Berlusconi and Grillo in some ways(those two are the cancer of Italian politics), but tbh I feel inside me that there is a little hope this time. I would like to know opinions from other italians or people involved into Italian political scene.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Matteo Renzi just became the Prime Minister of Italy.
I'm honestly not sure what to think about him. Yeah he was elect without actual elections, and is the third president nominated in this way(Mario Monti and Enrico Letta before him), and he is quite similar to Berlusconi and Grillo in some ways(those two are the cancer of Italian politics), but tbh I feel inside me that there is a little hope this time. I would like to know opinions from other italians or people involved into Italian political scene.
I heard from a tour guide that prime ministers of Italy were all linked to gangs or other illegal groups, when I was touring Italy.
If that was true, then it would be depressing.

Maybe this topic wasn't just a circlejerk of "Whose problems are worse", but we were actually interested on your take of your problems?

So uh, yes, I'd like you to say more. I am actually extremely interested in a ruski's perspective on Russian problems.

I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and mainly we are pissed off that our government sold a contract to a private company that lets them toll the bridge-tunnels between Portsmouth and Norfolk for like 60 years, and gives them allowance to raise the tolls every year by a certain amount. They were hired to do roadwork to add more lanes to the midtown tunnel, but the amount of money they are going to be taking from us is ludicrous compared to how much it's actually going to cost them to build it. One would think that the taxes that we pay should be enough to pay for these roads, which is well and good except that all the tax money from this area just goes up to NoVa where all the politicians live.

I know this sort of pales in comparison to the political problems in a lot of other places, but I just felt like I'd throw it into this thread since I was posting anyway.

Cresselia~~

Maybe this topic wasn't just a circlejerk of "Whose problems are worse", but we were actually interested on your take of your problems?

So uh, yes, I'd like you to say more. I am actually extremely interested in a ruski's perspective on Russian problems.
Oh true. It doesn't have to be a big issue. Just that I like to hear from people in other countries.

-------------
This picture is basically made to differentiate Chinese people and the very much oppressed Hongkongers.
If we aren't oppressed, people wouldn't waste time sharing it. (It's now very widely shared)

from the uk, we are ruled by a coalition governed by out of touch dickheads, who (seriously) don't know what the price of milk is. they argue with the police, who got the chief whip of the conservative party kicked out of power. Google plebgate. despite that, we believe we are better than America.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I currently reside in Canada, the biggest problems we have are that we humiliate ourselves trying to interfere with other countries' affairs and fall flat on our faces.

Harper is a joke, his foreign policy is basically: criticize everyone else about their problems, then hide behind the US, and his domestic policy is basically: take in more resources to criticize everyone else about their problems. Thank god an election is coming up soon. Unfortunately I live in Conservaberta.

Last edited:

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I say, I'm proud of Hong Kong for not arresting Snowden for USA during his stay in Hong Kong.
I think our government did the right thing with the right reason-- USA had not show enough prove at the time being.

It kind of looks like nearly every Asian country have this corruption problem.
I think maybe Singapore is the only one that's clean from that.
Actually, people find it hard to believe that even Taiwan does have a corruption problem, though people are simply unaware about it.
Err Taiwan has some of the biggest corruption problems in recent history...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Shui-bian_corruption_charges

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Who's responsible for allowing dumps in the Barrier Reef, and the West Australia shark cull, right?

Bad news do spread far...
Yep, and the sad thing is that's not even the worst thing he's done. He got rid of gay marriage in my state (after it had been passed for a month) even though he has a gay sister, he's fucking over students and he's getting rid of penalty rates on weekends, which severely affects all the young people working retail.

Sad thing is, nobody in my generation that I know, barring one or two people voted for him. It was all the oldies that voted him in...

The amount of easern european immigrants that are waltzing right in and fucking up our economy is pissing me right off!

Better than the U. S. $17 TRILLION.
We have no need for military at this time... Facing the facts, everyone's gonna use nuclear weapons, blackmail, and the EXTREMELY rare specialized hit team for whatever purpose. Canada has banned nuclear weapons to ever come onto Canadian soil, and we have the USA to back us when it comes to military and combat, our countries need this trust and dependency for the continual function that is vital to the survival of North America. Overall we need a leader who puts more money into economic and civil services, instead of the crap Harper feeds us daily.
Canada needs a military. The U. S. counts on it to help during wartime, such as the possible upcoming wars in Europe, not to mention the U. K. Who is powerful because of its allies, namely Canada and India. I think that our government and the Canadian government have some misunderstanding going on, as it seems you don't understand nuclear weapons are only to threaten, almost never to use. How is blackmail war? A mass army movement and amphibious landings are important to the military, which needs strengthened, not weakened.
Anyway, my country's problem:
The U. S. has refused to take stands since Obama was elected. He claims "Bush made more of the $17 trillion debt than me" then turns around and "condemns Russia for... Crimea" which sounds extremely weak. We need to be confronting them, not just saying: ooh, bad move.
tl; dr: Take Stands AMERICA/Obama.

The U. S. has refused to take stands since Obama was elected. He claims "Bush made more of the $17 trillion debt than me" then turns around and "condemns Russia for... Crimea" which sounds extremely weak. We need to be confronting them, not just saying: ooh, bad move.
tl; dr: Take Stands AMERICA/Obama.
Sorry, but I can't let this slide. Not sure what the hell you're even talking about here. Sounds like dog whistle politics to me. We take all kinds of "stands." We "stand" against the 4th amendment. We "stand" for allowing banks and giant corporations to buy our democracy for the purposes of self-enrichment. We "stand" for the ability to unilaterally execute anyone we want to by drone without due process or accountability. We "stand" for the ability to violate international law by sending troops without UNSC clearance and firing hellfire missiles from a remote location on countries with which we have not declared war. That enough "stances" for you? Because it was a lot.

The "stand" we should take on Ukraine/Crimea is to allow them to their own self-determination, and not allow the austerity-crazy EU and Russia play tug of war with them. This is assuming that it's our place to take a stand to begin with. Also to not be massive hypocrites about violations of international law. Impossible, now, since the damage is already etched into at least the entire 20th century.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't let this slide. Not sure what the hell you're even talking about here. Sounds like dog whistle politics to me. We take all kinds of "stands." We "stand" against the 4th amendment. We "stand" for allowing banks and giant corporations to buy our democracy for the purposes of self-enrichment. We "stand" for the ability to unilaterally execute anyone we want to by drone without due process or accountability. We "stand" for the ability to violate international law by sending troops without UNSC clearance and firing hellfire missiles from a remote location on countries with which we have not declared war. That enough "stances" for you? Because it was a lot.

The "stand" we should take on Ukraine/Crimea is to allow them to their own self-determination, and not allow the austerity-crazy EU and Russia play tug of war with them. This is assuming that it's our place to take a stand to begin with. Also to not be massive hypocrites about violations of international law. Impossible, now, since the damage is already etched into at least the entire 20th century.
Hypocrisy is only important when it's the other side(first rule of diplomacy). I meant standing for the right thing, btw. Not just doing random stuff because we feel like it or it is "politically correct".

Hypocrisy is only important when it's the other side(first rule of diplomacy).
So, then, are you saying we're in a moral position to dictate to other countries about invading sovereign nations? Because we're about the last country on the face of the planet who is in any position to criticize based on that, nor to take seriously in any capacity beyond our military might.

I meant standing for the right thing, btw. Not just doing random stuff because we feel like it or it is "politically convenient".
Only partially with you on that last sentence. Barring an extraordinary governmental shakeup we likely won't be taking any truly righteous stances on anything any time soon, at least not without coming across as completely disingenuous. We're very selective with our outrage about leaders who brutalize their own people or those in neighboring countries. Hell, a lot of those leaders are our friends (many were installed by us to begin with), so any sort of moral outrage we express against despots and dictators rings hollow.

Also, I'm pretty sure the fix in bold I made is what you meant. All politicians are opportunists, don't forget. Besides that, I take serious issue when people use the term "political correctness" as a pejorative, as though purposefully offending others is somehow laudable. Not that it's against the law, but it's still a dick thing to do.

Cresselia~~

I received news that students in TAIWAN are fiercely protesting against trade deal between Taiwan and China. And they get beaten up by the police!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26663415
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/w...ainst-deal-with-china.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Taiwan is in a dangerous position, because the government wants to sign the trade deal with China, without consent of its people.
There were no prior warnings nor public surveys before the announcement.

If Taiwan signs the deal, Taiwan can be economically invaded and then politically invaded by China just like Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang.
Hong Kong signed the same deal 10 years ago, and what happens in Hong Kong now is tragic, and Hong Kong WILL become the 2nd Tibet.
Currently, Hong Kong faces both economic and political invasion from China, which controls many things in our daily lives.
People are being paid to post politically pro-China comments on news discussions, and are actually being paid for flaming and insulting us.
People are being sent from China as immigrants to dilute our votes and to create social problems. (This differs from Chinese immigrants who hate China and came to Hong Kong for a new life)
And much more.

I sincerely hope that Taiwan can wake up and to decide NOT to sign the deal. It is basically pretty much like buying a new piece of land, from China's view.
China aims and fusing Taiwan into China and make it part of its own territory, like what they did to Tibet.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I should post here or not, since Ireland's political problems aren't that big but I might as well.

Ireland's biggest problem right now is probably the implementation of the water tax. I personally don't mind the water tax but, people in the west of Ireland don't even have clean water coming out of their taps and are expected to pay the same amount as people in less rural areas.

Also the government gave the job of setting up the company that would provide the water, to be known as Irish Water, to Ireland's biggest gas provider Bord Gáis. They did this to save money on the setting up of the company but, Irish Water then go and spend €58 million on consultants. This has raised big question marks about what was the point in giving the job to Bord Gáis if, they were just going to spend €58 million on asking questions about how they should set up the company.

Other then that there is a few more problems such as: Corrupt bankers doing corrupt things, A shit tonne of immigrants from eastern Europe ( Not that big of a problem), and the fact that asylum seekers are treated better then actual citizens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)