move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Focus Blast / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Perish Song / Encore
item: Leftovers
ability: Drizzle
nature: Modest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Politoed's bulk makes it a good candidate for an offensive set with Leftovers, as it can absorb hits and hit back. Hydro Pump is the crux of this set. It has enough power to OHKO the likes of standard Choice Band Scizor and Conkeldurr in the rain with Stealth Rock support. Along with two coverage moves, Politoed has everything it needs to effectively break holes in the opponent's team. It also has access to a large support movepool, and one can use any of its many options in the last slot. Surprisingly, not many Pokemon can stand up to a repeated barrage of attacks from Politoed.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Grass has the ability to hit Gastrodon and Rotom-W hard and can be used over Focus Blast. However, it lacks the raw power of Focus Blast, and you also lose the ability to hit Tyranitar and Ferrothorn hard. There are many options for the last slot, including Perish Song and Encore. Perish Song is very helpful against opposing Baton Pass users, who could become hazardous later in the game. Encore works in the last slot too, as it also has the ability to beat Baton Pass teams, much like Perish Song. However, Encore allows you to bring a sweeper in and set up; it also lets Politoed force a lot of switches.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Politoed is special because it has access to Drizzle. With Drizzle support, Politoed has the ability to turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. The EV spread maximizes general bulk while retaining maximum Special Attack investment to blow holes through the opponent's team. For this reason, entry hazard support is also recommended; Stealth Rock is very crucial to offensive Politoed's success. Speed EVs are not necessary given Politoed's lacking Speed stat. A multitude of items are available to offensive Politoed as well. Though Leftovers is definitely recommended, you can use Expert Belt to feign a Choice set and allow super effective moves to be even more powerful. Life Orb can also be used, but it should be noted that a it may lead to Politoed losing a weather war. One should always pack heavy Wish support if using an item other than Leftovers. Politoed has a few more options to use in the fourth move slot. Hypnosis can be used for heavily offensive teams, whereas Toxic can be used for defensive teams. However, one is usually better off with a defensive Politoed if running Toxic. Surf is inferior to Hydro Pump in the first slot regardless of the difference in accuracy because Hydro Pump scores many more KOs than Surf.</p>

<p>One should make sure that Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn are gone before spamming Hydro Pump with Politoed as all of the above take a pittance from Politoed's attacks. One should have all opposing weather covered because Ninetales's Drought reduces Hydro Pump's power, and Tyranitar receives a Special Defense boost from Sandstream. As stated, entry hazard users make for excellent teammates because they help nab many handy KOs. Jirachi is also a good teammate because it can deal with the above threats if rain is present. Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and other strong Fighting-types make good partners as well, as they have access to priority moves to pick off weakened foes, as well as a Fighting-type STAB that hurts all of Politoed's main counters badly.</p>

But the thing is, Politoed likes recovery and his Hydro Pumps are enhanced by Rain. I guess Life Orb can be an option with Wish support. But I don't think you want an LO weather starter, as it won't last long.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, this is a cool set. It has a solid offensive presence similar to ScarfToed, but compensates the lack of Speed with usable bulk and ability to switch moves.

I think Hypnosis would be really handy here to disable many of the problematic mons, such as Jellicent. Sleep complements well with the offensive pressure that this Politoed offers.

I'd also make note of Blissey and Chansey as full-stop counter to this set.

Thanks Pocket! I'll add Hypnosis over Toxic since it's a cool move, but the only real turn-off is the accuracy. Also, I'm not sure how I could forget about the blobs. I'll add 'em in. Thanks!

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I used LO Politoed like this, with the same moveset and EVs, and I was suitably impressed. I ran Protect over Perish Song so I didn't have to play as many guessing games with all the choice users going around, and I thought it was pretty good. :)

Looks good!
I would put Psychic (it's only use is for Toxicroak) and Toxic (< Hypnosis) in AC since you got to much slashed in.

Alright, I'll move Psychic and Toxic into the AC. Thanks, Delko! LO Politoed is cool since it has a ton of power, but I'm really reluctant to lose all forms of recovery given that Politoed is so slow. Protect can deserve a space in AC, as it can give you a good way to deal with Volt-Turn cores. Anyhow, thanks erisiascape!

Encore is a fair choice for the fourth slot, which is really a toss-up for what your team needs most. I'll add it to the AC, though I think that Perish Song is usually the best choice because without it, Baton Pass can be a hassle. Thanks, badabing!

This set seems pretty cool. Mention entry hazard support in AC since it will obviously be helpful. Mention how Hidden Power Grass also hits Jellicent, as Gastrodon isn't all that common now.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Expert Belt deserves an AO mention. With it, you can bluff the common choice sets throughout the battle (EB lets you hit the mons you bluff harder) and it's still somewhat durable unlike an LO set.

I can give EB an AC mention, but I think that you'll be using Leftovers 90% of the time for recovery. Of course, Wish support could help out Expert Belt variants, but I think that it would be best to keep some form of recovery on a weather starter.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I would mention LO in AC because it adds a lot of power and gets the OHKO on conkeldurr, Max HP Metagross and DD Scrafty with Hydro Pump, the OHKo on Scizor with Surf and will 2HKO SDef Jirachi with Hydro Pump and Wobbuffet (you need LO for both 0/200 and 28/252 variants) with Surf . All calcs are assuming rain and SR.

When talking about HP Grass i wouldn`t use Jellicent as an example because even with LO its only a 3HKO so it can stall you out with recover mention Rotom-W instead because he can actually get 2HKOd even with lefties.

You should also run 24 Spe EVs to outrun max speed Wobbuffet and i don't think Max Speed is worth it at all, because you outspeed nothing in OU by going with Max Speed and Modest, 60 Spe EVs can be used to outrun 4 Spe SDef Heatran but i don't think that would be really worth it.

Rain Dance Vaporeon

I wonder why people don't use Vaporeon as a bulky rain dancer

Vaporeon @ Leftovers/Damp Rock/Bold
Rain Dance Hydration 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Scald
Wish/Roar/Toxic
Rest

You can use swift swimmers and abuse opponents common rain with them. Vappy can stall with a purpose, abuse her own rain. I thought this set should get mention because it it pretty effective, not only is Vaporeon more bulky then Politoed she hits harder. Drizzle is a nice trait, but Politoed sucks. We all know it is only used for one thing because Kyogre is uber and their is no one else who can summon a pernament rain storm. I have always liked Swift Swim over Drizzle because once rain is set swift swimmers are usualy to fast to be counterd. I'd like to know your thoughts on this set. I only posted this up here because I think maybe you should reconsider and look at Vaporeon as a rain dance. I mean it can't lead, but it can do it's job perfectly in the rain with powerfull swift swimmers to back it up instead of politoeds shared common weaknesses to set rain for her.

I mentioned above just wanted to let you know how I feel about politoed and what I think would be a better idea lol. I have made plent of rain teams and I think the more effective ones revolve around Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops, Qwilfish, and others.

I didn't know that the Vappy set had some kind of rule broken why don't you explain it to me because I don't see what is illegal about it. Then again I stiped playing the game a wile ago I just decided to pick it back up so it has been osme time

I didn't know that the Vappy set had some kind of rule broken why don't you explain it to me because I don't see what is illegal about it. Then again I stiped playing the game a wile ago I just decided to pick it back up so it has been osme time
Not the place for this convo, bro. If you want to talk about your vaporeon set, post an analysis on it. responses here should be about this nice politoed set, which i think should have life orb as its main option!

Okay I get it I figured out what he was talking about, but that was my way of giving him my thoughts on his set. I said I didn't care for politoed and be creative and use something like this instead of using one of the most common leads in the game. Any way for politoed the set was nice my fault bro good luck to ya

Alright, LO is in the AC upon many requests. Thanks, Sir, erisiascape, and BurningMan. And thank you, XxJOLTEONxX.

What do the 8 speed evs accomplish? do they outspeed anything in particular or are they just for opposing Politoeds?

No. There is no point in the 8 Speed, but 248 HP gives you an odd amount of HP and minimizes entry hazard damage. Sorry if not maximizing the HP bothers you; it's a standard thing that I do. Same goes for 0 Attack IVs, though I'm not going to waste anybody's time and edit that in. It's just a preference thing.

Leftovers is definitely the preferred option, especially when doing a weather war.
But you can still mention Life Orb in AC though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)