Pokémon Politoed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politoed hasn't gained much at all in Gen 6. Drizzle only lasts 5 turns. However, Politoed can still have playability. Yes, of course, he can be used in tandem with a Kingdra if you want to, but there's actually more than meets the eye here.

What Politoed is, now, is just a simple pokemon with an ability that boosts his water STAB by x1.5. That's pretty significant for a pokemon with base 90 SpA. Surf did get nerfed, but 252 Modest Life Orb does 43.31% - 51.48% to Maxed Specially Bulky Jirachi (a baseline pokemon with 100/100/100 defenses). Specs Hydro Pump does 61.13% - 72.27%

Jirachi is bulky as hell to begin with and has/had uncommon SpD spread, so you'll probably be doing quite a bit more to many other switch-ins. Speaking of bulk, Politoed has his own 90/75/100 defenses to work with.

Politoed's teammates such as Rotomw-W, Ludicolo, and Kingdra can also quite logically use HP Fire now. It DOES nerf your speed IV down to 30, but you can also get around Ferrothorn better, and it's also nice to have for Scizor and Genesect.

Finally, politoed can use rest/sleeptalk/scald/xxxxx for much better staying power this time around. After using rest you are semi-disabled for only 2 turns and you can come back for more later.

Rain seems to be a perfectly balanced play style now. You can switch politoed in, switch it out, and you have 4 turns to swift swim. Some people might think that rain is too weak now, but remember that we are seemingly moving into an era of bulky offense rather than speed demon hyper offensive teams. It will take some evolution on your part to make a rain team work.

Remember this. Politoed needs to be switched in much more repeatedly and you also need to switch to your sweepers as fast as you can before the rain runs out. There is compensation for this. You are free to use Kingdra, Kabutobs, Omastar, Ludicolo, Poliwrath (Attack increased from 85 to 95), Seismitoad (Attack increase from 90 to 100), Manaphy, Thundurus, and Tornadus-T. You should either go very bulky so that all the switching you do is manageable, or you should go very powerful and wallbreaking, so the match does not last long enough for the switching to count against you. Make sure everything has functions outside the rain.

Here's a set to try:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Modest
124 HP, 232 SpA, 152 SpD
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald
-Psychic

With the HP EVs you end up at 352 HP which is a nice Leftovers number. The SpD EVs make it such that MegaGengar only does 39.2% - 46.3%. After rocks and leftovers it's a 3hko. You stand a decent chance if he tries to trap you (even if you're asleep), but crits and defense drops would ruin you. The rest is dumped into SpA for obvious reasons. Rest gives you crucial staying power and you can start trying to wake up when you're against pokemon like skarmory, jellicent, chansey, blissey, forretress, and other such defensive mons. Do not let anything start boosting on you.

I've been using Choice Specs Politoed and he's turning out to be a very powerful sweeper. With a modest nature and fully invested speed and special attack, he hits like a truck with rain boosted, stab boosted, specs boosted, surfs and hydro pumps, even scalds if you prefer that. I've been running Politoed with either smeargle or galvantula to set up sticky web and that works perfectly, allowing Politoed to barely outspeed base 112 speeds (such as Mega Lucario) when sticky web is on the field.

While above may be impressive and all, why not just use keldeo, who is faster, just as bulky, and more powerful? While the obvious answer may be that Politoed provides rain for the team, the answer that I eventually reached is that when Politoed comes in rain is always up, allowing him to always benefit from the rain unlike keldeo, kingdra, etc. This is a huge deal now with the nerf of rain (and weather in general) that hurts so many other rain sweepers and other weather sweepers, but not Politoed. In addition to that rain still helps other team members significantly, as limited as it may be now. On my team along with Politoed and Smeargle/Galvantula I've been using Kingdra, who can help clean up after Politoed. Kingdra is a useful asset although I've been thinking about replacing it with Ludicolo because Politoed brings out a lot of water resists once my opponent realizes that he's specs and Ludicolo has a stab giga drain to "rain" on that parade.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf Scald / Psychic
- Hydro Pump / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Psychic
- Focus Blast / Psychic

Since Politoed mainly just spams water attacks I use surf and hydro pump together in order to kill weakened threats without risk or launch a nuke when necessary. Ice beam is there for those 4x weak annoyances and because 2 of the 3 types that resist water (dragon and grass) are both weak to ice. Focus Blast is in the final slot to nail Ferrothron but I'm considering changing it to pyschic or something else. Also it should be noted that hidden power grass is just as powerful against water types as hydro pump that are 2x weak to grass and have a 1/2 resistance to water. The only practical use for it would be to insure a hit on rotom wash or starmie but even then its uses are limited because Politoed cannot switch moves anyway.

Also I think it should be pointed out that Politoed can carry a damp rock and extend rain to 8 turns. However if you're going to so is I think you should go with a more defensive set similar to last generation except maybe with rest.

Anyways, I feel like Politoed is now an underrated pokemon/threat both offensively and defensively and many people have been jumping off his bandwagon with the nerf of weather and all.

Last edited:
Here is an alternative Specs or LO EV spread that has one important purpose: It can just barely survive one Adamant Return from +0 MegaKangaskhan after SR and hit back, which would be important in possible lead scenarios or revenge kill scenarios where you have denied Power Up Punch. It is pretty much impossible to counter megakhan so having every available teammate able to at least do something can be invaluable.

Modest
252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpA

or

Modest
64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpA

However, by doing as such, you have absolutely no Speed EVs to speak of, which is the trade off you have to make if you want to "check" khan at certain percentages. Any other offensive set can/will be OHKO'd merely by an unboosted Adamant Return.

252+ Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Politoed: 336-396 (87.5 - 103.12%) fuck that

124+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan in rain: 306-360 (73.91 - 86.95%)
124+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan in rain: 252-297 (60.86 - 71.73%)

192+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan: 316-374 (76.32 - 90.33%)
192+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan in rain: 328-387 (79.22 - 93.47%)
192+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan in rain: 268-316 (64.73 - 76.32%)

Politoed is one of my favorite Pokemon so since it got drizzle I have been wanting to use it so here is what I came up with

1.)Lefties attacker
Politoed
N:Modest
I: Leftovers
A: Drizzle
M1:Scald
M2:Protect
M3:Ice Beam
M4:Psychic/Hidden Power (ground)

2.)Eternal Frog
Politoed
I:Leftovers
A: Drizzle
M1:Rest
M2:Scald
M3:Sleep Talk
M4:Ice Beam

3.)Freak of Nature
Politoed
I: Leftovers
A:Drizzle
M1:Swagger
M2:Hypnosis
M3:Perish Song
M4:Scald

My favorite Politoed set is a simple Choice Specs set with Hydro Pump. To illustrate:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 238-282 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keep in mind that Mega Charizard Y hardly ever runs a Modest nature.

My favorite Politoed set is a simple Choice Specs set with Hydro Pump. To illustrate:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 238-282 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keep in mind that Mega Charizard Y hardly ever runs a Modest nature.
It has pretty terrible coverage, speed, and mediocre bulk though, and really should only be used when you want to use its rain for a specific reason (hurricane spam, keldeo massacre, whatever). And on these teams the eight turns provided by damp rock is really appreciated. This isn't to say that a specs set isn't completely without merit.

Politoed is also great for what it was made for: Setting up rain. Although it's not as effective with the weather nerfs, it still can be given a shot.
It can stall for a while and once you've started understanding your opponent's tactics, you can switch out to something that can pose a threat to it.
This makes politoed a decent lead, but don't overestimate it's bulk.

Does damp rock.affect Drizzle?
Yes. It's pretty much obligatory if you want Politoed to share the rain with teammates like Kingdra - which is really something you should be planning on doing if you're using Politoed, since a few turns for its own benefit isn't worth its crap stats. In particular, defensive sets don't make sense because staying out for too long means its rain will go away on its own.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bring back from the depths of page 7...

What's your guys' favorite spread/moveset for a more defensive toed? I know Scald is compulsory, but a lot of stuff seems like it could fit in the other three moveslots. I've seen Rest, Sleep Talk, Toxic, Hypnosis, Ice Beam, Psychic, and Focus Blast all been used, and was just wondering what's the ideal combination.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

What's your guys' favorite spread/moveset for a more defensive toed? I know Scald is compulsory, but a lot of stuff seems like it could fit in the other three moveslots. I've seen Rest, Sleep Talk, Toxic, Hypnosis, Ice Beam, Psychic, and Focus Blast all been used, and was just wondering what's the ideal combination.
Physically Defensive with Rest, Scald, and filler of your choice is probably the way to go. Rest makes keeping Toed alive easier since you have to use Damp Rock. You're probably going to not keep it in for long so not having Sleep Talk isn't a big issue, letting you run Toxic/Hypnosis and an offensive attack of your choice as the filler.

Scald and Encore are pretty much obligatory unless you want Rest and Sleep Talk. The set ive used the most is Scald, Encore, Hypnosis, and Toxic although Rest could be useful over one of the last two moves. I never use Ice Beam or Focus Blast unless im using an offensive Politoed

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.

I only used politoed in my mono water team, but then I think I used scald, toxic, encore and ice beam. I dont really like RestTalking politoad because if your opponent is statused or immune to your status you only have a 33% chance to do something usefull. The set MilkyWay01 posted is to much status imo (burn form scald, Toxic, and Sleep), and I really don't like Hypnosis bad accuracy, I feel like I never am able to hit it when I need, but of course my opponent does. I think it is basically Scald and Encore then the last two moves are flexible and you use what your team needs, e.g more consistent rain setter, more status, or spesific type coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)