Politoed

!_! man did you even read my post, I said Tyranitar switching into Politoed. And say x Rain Dancer KO's y Pokemon, oh look TTar gets a free switch in to change the weather and then you can switch him out and what not.

Politoed is happy that he has Focus Blast. Do Swimming Goggles exist or not? I heard they don't, but people are still saying they do. If they do He can run Focus Blast / Hypnosis / Hydro Pump / something to max up for lack of high base stat power, and the speed and acc boost.
Apparently you don't understand that politoed comes in, uses Focus Blast (to OHKO Tyranitar) or Hypnosis against a counter and immediatly switches out. You don't have to be a genius to understand that. Lets say you switch in Tyranitar while I switch in Kingdra (or a similar Poké), you have to switch again while Kingdra uses Dragon Dance, Hydro Pump or Draco meteor. That's not a win, especially if I previously set up SR. And no: SWIMMING GOGGLES DON'T EXIST it was just a false rumor.

Personally I'd run a Max Speed Max SATK Politoed with Focus Blast and Hydro Pump; who would then like to switch in a Tyranitar, Hippowdon or Abomasnow?
Only Scarfed Tyranitar can be a problem but (even if your Focus Blast misses on the predicted switch) Stone Edge deals only 65.5% - 77.6% damage to offensive Toed. Shall I repeat it again? If you are a skilled player no T-Tar can stop your Politoed.

If you check serebii.net,Politoed actually get Seismic Toss from Gen 3. Why people don't notice or use it is beyond me. But I actually find it very effective when it's paired up with Surf.

If you check serebii.net,Politoed actually get Seismic Toss from Gen 3. Why people don't notice or use it is beyond me. But I actually find it very effective when it's paired up with Surf.
Seismic Toss would have been a very useful addition, but unfortunately anything tutored (and even some TMs from DPPt) from past generations is incompatible with Dream World abilities. Without Drizzle, Politoed hasn't changed much in usefulness at all.

I just want to know why everyone's talking about banning Politoad. I mean, look at it's stats. It's pretty easy to deal with in comparison to the metagame at hand. Drizzle's good, even great, but not THAT good.
^

This.

that is like saying T-tar and Hippodon should be uber because there is a new ability which boosts speed in a sandstorm which that 5th gen mole has.

also, there is the ability earthquake spiral so why are people crying over politoad and ninetales.

the opponent sends out ninetails
You send Out A Life Orb Tyranitar

Sand stream activates
Drought / Drizzle activates, removing the sandstorm

If ninetails / politoad does not switch, you use earthquake which with Life orb and Adamant Nature will OHKO both of them

If ninetails / Politoad does switch (which is very likely) Tyranitar uses Pursuit, OHKO with adamant nature + Life orb (I think?).

LO Adamant Pursuit does 75%-89% to 0/0 neutral Poli on a switch.

T-tar has massive SpDef, but it won't enjoy a Stab SE Hydro Pump, especially if it's raining.

^
the opponent sends out ninetails
You send Out A Life Orb Tyranitar

Sand stream activates
Drought / Drizzle activates, removing the sandstorm

If ninetails / politoad does not switch, you use earthquake which with Life orb and Adamant Nature will OHKO both of them

If ninetails / Politoad does switch (which is very likely) Tyranitar uses Pursuit, OHKO with adamant nature + Life orb (I think?).
Yeah except for one little detail:

The opponent sends out Politoed against a Pokémon that can't threaten it, you switch in Tyranitar:

1) If you are faster than Politoed you are Scarfed = Politoed can switch out or stay in. If it stays in it can take a Stone Edge (it doesn't OHKO) and OHKO you with Focus Blast = T-Tar loses.

2) If you are not faster (Adamant CB, LO ,... with 252 HP EVs) Politoed uses Surf on the switch (dealing 46.2% - 55.1% damage) and then Focus Blast (78.7% - 93.4%) or Surf again if you have SR on the field = T-Tar loses again.

[Politoed with 252 SATK Evs, Modest nature and Leftovers].

So I'm new at this, but here's what I'm thinking:

~Rain Lead~
Politoed@Leftovers
Sassy
Drizzle
IVs: 0 Spe
252 HP / 252 SpD
Boiling Water
Encore / Protect / Toxic
Rest
Sleep Talk

Minimum speed would maximize the chance that you set up rain against other auto weather starters. Rest/Talk is for longevity. Encore is stop people from setting up on you, and Boiling Water for Taunt users and the 30% chance of causing a burn. Max Special D is also for longevity, especially against a 100% accurate Thunder.

LO Adamant Pursuit does 75%-89% to 0/0 neutral Poli on a switch.

T-tar has massive SpDef, but it won't enjoy a Stab SE Hydro Pump, especially if it's raining.
Yah but since its going to be Tyranitar doing the switching its not really going to be raining =P.But yah the point is Tyranitar looses.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Really, Politoed will see no use in Ubers, when Kyogre outclasses it in every imaginable way, and anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
On an OU note, if Kyogre goes to Ubers, Politoed will probably rise to OU, though he's likely to drop after the initial hype wears out, sicne sandstorm is probably the superior weather this generation.

Really, Politoed will see no use in Ubers, when Kyogre outclasses it in every imaginable way, and anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
On an OU note, if Kyogre goes to Ubers, Politoed will probably rise to OU, though he's likely to drop after the initial hype wears out, sicne sandstorm is probably the superior weather this generation.
None of that's going to happen yet. We don't even know when Politoed will be able to get Drizzle.

So I'm new at this, but here's what I'm thinking:

~Rain Lead~
Politoed@Leftovers
Sassy
Drizzle
IVs: 0 Spe
252 HP / 252 SpD
Boiling Water
Encore / Protect / Toxic
Rest
Sleep Talk

Minimum speed would maximize the chance that you set up rain against other auto weather starters. Rest/Talk is for longevity. Encore is stop people from setting up on you, and Boiling Water for Taunt users and the 30% chance of causing a burn. Max Special D is also for longevity, especially against a 100% accurate Thunder.
A Rest/Talk set was already posted, and the minimum speed would only be worth it if you and your opponent sent out a weather setup pokemon at the same time (for example, as your lead pokes).

If Politoed and Ninetales get banned or go to uber, so should Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and any other auto-weather Pokemon.
I think all auto-weather pokes should be uber and the end.

If Politoed and Ninetales get banned or go to uber, so should Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and any other auto-weather Pokemon.
I think all auto-weather pokes should be uber and the end.
Which is why they won't. You can't ban staple weather Pokemon.

OK, so yeah, I know I appear new by post #, but I've lurked for at least 2 n' 1/2 years, lol. Just never contributed. But I do realize that doesn't necessarily qualify me in any way.

People seem to have missed the Mod's post saying that this thread should not be used to discuss tiering/whether or not this poke should or will be banned/be anything other than pure discussion about Politoad, not RD teams or anything else.

So I'll try to summarize all the points up here, just so that this discussion can continue elsewhere and end it.

1. There are other auto-weather inducers, like Ttar, which can switch in and weaken Poli or at least stop it's weather. Poli can also possibly 2KO Ttar, should it choose to stay in.

2. Banning Poli is equivalent to banning all auto weather pokes, especially considering the new abilities that have been granted to new pokes that allow them to sweep in SS.

3. Erufuun (is that its name?), with priority status, can also halt sweeps. Same with Water Absorb pokes.

4. One of the old methods of stopping Rain by stalling out its turns is no longer very viable.

5. Poli only has to survive to set up rain, all other considerations such as sweeping are placed to the back burner.

6. Weather is not a centralizing force, merely requiring adaptation. (Think about it in terms of countering Stall. You know it's there and you should be prepared for it, but it's not all-encompassing or domineering, because there are many counters for it, or strategies to beat it.)

7. Ditto. Can switch in with its new ability and counter sweepers, and then proceed to abuse their boosts.

8. RD, like any other strategy, should it increase in usage, there will also be an increasing trend in counter strategies.

That's all I can remember. Now PLEASE, MAKE THIS DISCUSSION PURELY ABOUT POLITOAD AND POSSIBLE MOVESETS. WAIT FOR THE BW META TO DEVELOP BEFORE MAKING ANY CONCLUSIONS. To do otherwise would be, in my opinion, to only exacerbate your own ignorance because nobody, and nobody, knows exactly what will happen in the future.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, some nice discussion going on here and everything but can I remind you of two things.

- Please, please don't start condemning things as Uber before you've even played the game.

- This is a Politoed discussion. Not a Rain Dance discussion. If you'd like to continue discussing Rain, please take it to the dedicated Weather thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79005.
Jesus, people. Don't bring the weather titans into this. And, I'm saying this so you guys don't shoot yourself in the foot: In Smogon, as always, a Pokemon's performance in Ubers doesn't matter.

Politoed is at best a Defensive Pokemon who can take a few down and out with status and such.

rain is the most useful....has more options for a team.

also he could make for a decent rain psychial sweeper I hope he gets slack off...he seems lthe kind to be able to use it then he will be so sweet.

I am having huge amounts of success with Perish Song on Politoad. In addition to psudeo-hazing behind BP teams and Subs, all the trappers right now are really enabling it to be used really effectively.

I've had so much success switching to Ghost/Fire after the counter goes down to two, then switching back into something that can take the last hit, or even using Sub/Protect. CB Dugtrio also has the added benefit of doing rediculous amounts of damage to Ninetails and Ttar, two of the biggest counters you have to Rain. CBtrio can also do tolerable damage to Hippo.

I've also had success on offing Toad on the turn the counter hits 1, bringing in Breloom or Errfun, and setting up a Sub.

Has anyone else had any success with Perish Song?

Politoed can 2HKO Tyranitar in the sand with LO Hydro Pump. Tyranitar is not a safe switch-in at all.

To clarify, this is 252/252+ Tyranitar. Offensive sets will probably get OHKOed.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
well drrrr drizzletoad is outclassed by kyogre.( even a noob can say this),but still being you can only have 1 uber on your team i wouldn't go with kyogre. i would go with palkia at a great pair with poltoad. especially in a rain team. it gets a crazy hydro pump under the rain and also has access to dragon attacks that are only resisted by steel and access to thunder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)