Porygon-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did someone say "moar powa" O_O

QC: PK Gaming| 2 | 3
GP:

=====

[OVERVIEW]

* Superb Special Attack along with respectable bulk and decent speed allows it be a fantastic late game sweeper with new boosting move Z-Conversion which raises all stats by +1
* Ability Adaptability allows it to take full advantage of conversion and gains x2 on STAB
* Porgyon-Z becomes the hardest hitting Electric/Ghost type in the tier after Z-conversion (outdamaging Life Orb Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain/Specs Gengar)
* Has only one set up opportunity with Z-Conversion
* Needs team support to provide and remove hazards, remove checks and soften special walls
* New speedy pokemon as well as returning threats such as Scarf Genesect limit its longevity even after +1 boost to bulk and speed

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion (Electric)
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: HP Ground / HP Fighting / Recover
move 4: Conversion
item: Normalium Z
ability: Adaptability
nature: Timid
evs: 44 Def / 232 SpA / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Thunderbolt is Porgyon-Z primary STAB after conversion to Electric and benefits from Adaptability boost and has great coverage as well as making it immune to paralysis
* Ice Beam is necassary to hit Ground immunities, Dragons and bolt beam coverage
* HP Ground +1 OHKOs Heatran, Alola Marowak and Magnezone after SR.
* HP Fighting hits pokemon such as Tyranitar and Mamoswine hard and prevents them from stopping your sweep while covering Magnezone as well
* Recover is a viable option to restore health lost to hazards, status and weather
* Conversion is a must in order to benefit fully from this set and Z-conversion can only be used once

Set Details
========

* Speed EVs are to outspeed pokemon who max out at 299 (Max Speed neutral Base 100 to Max Speed neutral base 83) with defense EVs to avoid +1 Atk in Genesect download boost
* 252 SpA / 212 Spe Timid with 44 EVs in Defense can also be used to outspeed Xurkitree, Kyurem Black, Zygarde and Tapu Lele, whereas +1 speed outspeeds Pheromosa and Mega Alakazam
* Timid nature allows to make most of it's conversion speed and decent speed tier without full 252 investment* Normalium Z is a must in order to get Z-conversion all-stat boost
* Adaptibility over Download for more consistency

Usage Tips
========

* Given its one time opportunity to set up Z-conversion, it is better to used as a late game sweeper after opposition team have been softened up

* It is best to try to set up on pokemon Porgyon-Z outspeeds to lessen the damage he may take during the boost or/and do not have a super effective ground type attack, and you can use this to bait the opponent team into bringing out such pokemon or their reluctance to do so

* Electric-Z appreciates having his team mates taking care of sure sweep stoppers, for example SpD Excadrill, SpD ferrothorn, Chansey, Scarfed Ground attackers like Garchomp and Lando-T

* Thunderbolt is your main go to move against electric neutral and weak pokemon, and can hit incoming switches very heavily as long as they are not immune to it, while you can also opt to use Ice beam if you suspect a switch into a bulky grass type or ground pokemon, whereas HP Ground/Fight are best reserved until the specific answers it handles are infront of you

* Although not mandatory, hazards such as SR turn many possible OHKOs and 2HKOs into guaranteed and makes sure enemy does not rely on volt-turning to wear down Porgyon-Z

Team Options
========

* Alola Ninetales Aurora Veil move and general dual screen support provides increased oppurtunites to switch in and set up and can change weather disrupting sand rush/swift swim
* Tapu Fini can use Taunt and Nature's Madness to break down offensive opponents while also providing defog support, in return Electric-Z can breeze past Water types
* Tapu Koko can set up Electric Terrain and adds an additional boost to Thunderbolt
* Tapu Lele can is also a great team option to nullify priority moves against you and help get rid of Mega Venusaur as well
* Tapu Bulu offers passive recovery and halving the damage from popular Ground moves like Earthquake
* Kyurem-B can break down most walls and almost has no safe switch ins and handles Ground types superbly
* Rapid Spin Support and Defog allow hazards to be removed from the field
* Magnezone can be used to trap Ferrothorn and can even set up upon further damaging the enemy team
* Hazard support allows it to make most of its sweeping capabilities and gurantee many OHKOs and 2HKOs
* Dugtrio can trap Chansey as well use SR to punish switch ins and memento for further set up oppurtunities

[SET]
name: Z-Conversion (Ghost)
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Hidden Power Fighting
move 3: Thunderbolt/Recover
item: Normalium Z
ability: Adaptability
nature: Timid
evs: 44 Def / 232 SpA / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Shadow ball allows Porgyon-Z to convert into Ghost type, a fantastic neutral STAB with adaptability, 20% chance of dropping Special Defense, immunity to Mach Punch, Fake Out and Extreme Speed and resists U-turn from scarfed Genesect/Lando-T and STABs from Scarfed Pheromosa
* HP Fighting allows it to get past Tyranitar, Weavile, Greninja and Bisharp
* Thunderbolt allows it to take advantage of common Tapu Kokos and can break through SpD Mantine and Celesteela
* Recover is a viable option to restore health lost to hazards, status and weather
* Conversion is a must in order to benefit fully from this set and Z-conversion can only be used once

Set Details
========

* Speed EVs are to outspeed pokemon who max out at 299 (Max Speed neutral Base 100 to Max Speed neutral base 83) with defense EVs to avoid +1 Atk in Genesect download boost
* 252 SpA / 212 Spe Timid with 44 EVs in Defense can also be used to outspeed Xurkitree, Kyurem Black, Zygarde and Tapu Lele, whereas +1 speed outspeeds Pheromosa and Mega Alakazam
* Timid nature allows to make most of it's conversion speed and decent speed tier without full 252 investment
* Normalium Z is a must in order to get Z-conversion all-stat boost
* Adaptability over Download for more consistency

Usage Tips
========

* Although Electric-Z hits harder, cannot be paralyzed and benefits from common favorable terrains, Ghost-Z has a more spammable STAB with fewer resists and virtually no immunities, higher secondary chance to lower SpD, fewer checks and counters and is much harder to revenge kill especially against teams that depend on priorities

* Most of what's been set said about Electric-Z in terms of setting up on slower pokemon and/or avoiding pokemon with SE moves can be applied here, with Scarfed Ground pokemon having a harder time stopping Ghost-Z but now being vulnerable to scarfed Dark types instead such as Tyranitar and moves like Sucker Punch. Teams that were built to handle Tapu Kokos and Electric-Z will be thrown off having to deal with a hard hitting Ghost sweeper instead

* There is no reason to not spam Shadowball continuously especially against neutral threats given its great coverage and good chance to inflict a SpD drop, and you can resort to coverage HP Fight/Thunderbolt when the relevant pokemon they damage heavily appear infront of it having the displeasure of taking a Shadowball before hand

* Ghost-Z appreciates having his team mates taking care of sure sweep stoppers, for example Support Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mimikyu, Chansey and faster pokemon that outspeed after +1

* Although not mandatory, hazards such as SR turn many possible OHKOs and 2HKOs into guaranteed

Team Options
========

* Alola Ninetales Aurora Veil move and general dual screen support provides increased oppurtunites to switch in and set up and can change weather disrupting sand rush/swift swim
* Tapu Fini can use Taunt and Nature's Madness to break down offensive opponents while also providing defog support and can scare away dark types that Ghost-Z hates
* Tapu Koko can set up Electric Terrain and adds an additional boost to Thunderbolt
* Kyurem-B can break down most walls and almost has no safe switch ins
* Dugtrio can trap Chansey as well use SR to punish switch ins and memento for further set up oppurtunities
* Magnezone can trap and reliably remove Celesteela
* Rapid Spin Support and Defog allow hazards to be removed from the field to increase longevity
* Hazard support allows it to make most of its sweeping capabilities and guarantee many OHKOs and 2HKOs

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Z-Conversion to Psychic type can be used along with Tapu Lele to get pass Chansey and Special walls in general as well as being immune to Priority in Psychic Terrain, moveset suggested will be Psyshock/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting. Note that it will also make it more vulnerable to scarf Genesect U-Turn

* A double dance set consisting of thunderbolt/ice beam/nasty plot/conversion or shadowball/hp fighting/nasty plot/conversion can be used to give Porgyon-Z more flexibility to act as a late game sweeper with Z-conversion or a wall breaker against stall teams

* Charge Beam may sound tempting due to 50% chance of increased SpA boost, it is generally not recommended due to base power difference against Thunderbolt and unreliability

* Z-Conversion (Dark) at first sight may seem very similar to Ghost conversion in terms of coverage (with bonus flinching), it makes Porygon-Z very vulnerable to Mach Punch and other priorities like Extreme Speed, and makes revenge killing it much easier by common Scarf U-Turns, for example Genesect, Jirachi and Lando-T

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chansey**: Chansey is OU's primary Special Wall and without nasty plot or Psychic conversion you cannot get past it

**Specially Defensive Excadrill** Is a great check to Electric Porgyon-Z who can switch in against Thunderbolt and threaten to OHKO with EQ while you can only 2HKO in return

**Specially Defensive Ferrothorn** Electric Porgyon-Z can only threaten it with 3HKO after conversion with both Thunderbolt or HP Fighting after Leftovers

**Mega Venusaur** Can only be 3HKO'd by either adaptability Thunder Bolt or Ice Beam from Electric-Z and can recover any damage and slowly chip your health away

**Mimikyu** With its ability Disguise it can threaten Ghost Porgyon-Z after Z-Conversion for 50% damage with +2 Shadow Sneak or 70% with LO Shadow Claw

**Faster Pokemon** Genesect along with other scarfed pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Keldeo, Pheromosa, Garchomp and Jirachi threaten to outspeed it, Swift Swim users can OHKO it after prior damage

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nitpicking, but 44 def / 228 spa / 236 spe is a more efficient ev spread than the current one listed for the first set (z-conversion sweeper). alternatively, you can use 44 def / 232 spa / 232 spe to further bolster your special attack. just remember to have your evs divisible by 4.

nitpicking, but 44 def / 228 spa / 236 spe is a more efficient ev spread than the current one listed for the first set (z-conversion sweeper). alternatively, you can use 44 def / 232 spa / 232 spe to further bolster your special attack. just remember to have your evs divisible by 4.
I guess for efficiencies sake we can take the latter one, no use spending more on speed to speed tie Excadrill, thank you.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover (/ HP Fighting / Nasty Plot)

Is how I would slash it. It combines the two sets but doesn't have many unnecessary slashes.
Shadow Ball in the first slot to become Ghost-Type should be OO in my opinion. It's great neutral coverage but lacks super effective coverage. Also the lack of a boosting item and only a +1 boost hurts its wallbreaking capabilities. It's nice for Marowak, Ferrothorn (SBall does 60-70%) and Magnezone though.
I don't think Psyshock is worth using because you need both Nasty Plot and Psyshock to break Chansey and it only leaves you with one of Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, both are necessary for coverage.

One of the reasons Shadow Ball is great (other than RNG 20% SpD -1), is that it's a great neutral STAB (we have Adaptibility acting as the boost in case of Ghost), aside from Dark mons who get hit hard with coverage and Chansey (relevant Normal) who basically walls you without boosted Psyshock, it is very easy to spam, very dangerous even without Adaptibility or Ghost conversion it OHKOs Lele and Mimikyu +1 after SR. Recover isn't much use because Porgyon is too frail even at +1 infront of the common OU attackers, but HP Ground is great as a slash instead of Shadow Ball which at +1 destroys Heatran, Alola Marowak, Bisharp and Magnezone.

In all honesty I think I will seperate the Ghost conversion and electric conversion due to how they synergize with the teamates and how to use.

Psyshock as I mentioned needs more support, either you convert to Psychic and have Tapu Lele on board or use nasty plot, so maybe it is best to move it all toghether to OO and keep double dance with Bolt Beam coverage as you suggested.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
HP Ground/Fighting > Shadow Ball imo

OHKOing the Pokemon that can block your sweep is much better than having super effective coverage on Ghost weaks. Besides, +1 Thunderbolt is already doing a ton to Tapu Lele / Mimikyu.

(+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0+ SpD Tapu Lele: 246-290 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Also unless I screwed up with my calcs, +1 T-bolt already cleanly OHKOes Mimikyuu...

(+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0+ SpD Mimikyu: 264-312 (104.7 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover (/ HP Fighting / Nasty Plot)

Is how I would slash it. It combines the two sets but doesn't have many unnecessary slashes.
Shadow Ball in the first slot to become Ghost-Type should be OO in my opinion. It's great neutral coverage but lacks super effective coverage. Also the lack of a boosting item and only a +1 boost hurts its wallbreaking capabilities. It's nice for Marowak, Ferrothorn (SBall does 60-70%) and Magnezone though.
I don't think Psyshock is worth using because you need both Nasty Plot and Psyshock to break Chansey and it only leaves you with one of Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, both are necessary for coverage.
I don't agree with merging the 2 sets together; there are enough differences Electrium-Z & Ghostium Porygon-Z to warrant separating them. Recover is pretty useless on Porygon-Z; it's a sweeper, it doesn't have the time or even the desire to use Recover.

SpD Excadrill definitely needs to be mentioned in the checks and counters section. It's one of the best Electrium-Z Porygon-Z counters in the game.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I don't agree with merging the 2 sets together; there are enough differences Electrium-Z & Ghostium Porygon-Z to warrant separating them. Recover is pretty useless on Porygon-Z; it's a sweeper, it doesn't have the time or even the desire to use Recover.
I'm not merging the sets, I just don't think Ghost-Type is good enough to deserve a seperate set, hence OO.
Recover is great if your opponent uses status / other residual damage + switching to wear PZ down. From what I've seen it has been way more useful than non-STAB Shadow Ball, which adds almost no coverage.
HP Fighting > HP Ground in my opinion because you only lose coverage against Marowak, but you now also hit TTar and Ferrothorn harder

What I've done is rearrange the third slash in the Electric set, add recover in OO section and explain how to use it and add SpD to counter and check list with some description as well.

• HP Ground +1 OHKOs Heatran, Alola Marowak, Bisharp, Magnezone and Tapu Koko after SR.
For the Electric Z-Conversion set, I suggest you get rid of Bisharp and Koko for HP Ground targets as both are actually OHKOed by Thunderbolt at +1:

+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 398-470 (146.8 - 173.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 266-314 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (if P-Z was Hazed by Toxapex along the way)

+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 283-334 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Consequently, I agree with SketchUp to slash HP Fighting first, then HP Ground / Shadow Ball for the same reasons he mentionned.

I see your point, I guess we can agree Shadowball should be third slash in that set and we explain the uses for both HPs and sort of let the player "choose his poison" on threats he misses a OHKO on and let his team deal with them.

Would it be beneficial, as a setup sweeper, to lower P-Z's SpDef IV to 21 and give it a simple 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe? It does lose 10 points in both defensive stats (it still gives Genesect a SpAtk boost from Download), but it gains 5 points in both SpAtk and Speed, which seems much more important for a sweeper than lowering its offensive stats.

considering this is in the quality control stage, i will give my opinion on this analysis. four things to start off:
1) switch bullet points to asterisks. obviously noticed you haven't edited for a while but just friendly reminder
2) you don't need ivs since teambuilder already sets them to 0 by default
3) please put spaces between your slashes
4) just name the sets "Z-Conversion (Electric)" and "Z-Conversion (Ghost)" please.

[OVERVIEW]
  • remove double dance and nasty plot mentions
  • remove "lack of priority." there has been no precedent from previous gens of special attackers supposed to get priority
  • this doesn't need hazard removal to funcytion
  • just say its a liability against defensive teams instead of saying it needs special walls softened
[Z-Conversion (Electric)]

move 3: Hidden Power [Ground] / Recover
  • this is what it should look. hp fighting is only for ghost porygon-z. ground hits way more than hp fighting so hp fighting doesn't even warrant a slash. shadow ball is just ass. don't bother mentioning at all for this set.
  • remove rapid spin / defog support. it really doesn't need it.
  • expand more on team options aka stuff that can break bulkier teams in general like kyurem-b and megazardy
[Z-Conversion (Ghost)]

move 2: Hidden Power [Fighting]
move 3: Recover
  • reason to use this set over electric is it can't be revenge killed by scarfers like gene, lando-t, and phero. mention that. because ghost fighting hits more, it can actually run recover with less cost unlike electric version
  • this is where you need hp fighting to beat tyranitar, weavile, bisharp (50/50), etc.
  • this set really only needs two attacks. mention that.
  • you don't really need hazard removal like i said
  • expand on team options as said before except magnezone more emphasis since this set can't break celesteela and loses to toxapex as it can haze your boosts
[Double Dance]
  • lol just remove this set entirely and put it in other options
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • double dance goes here as said.
  • say how psychic type would be an ok choice but the problem is gene and phero are in the tier
[C&C]
  • rock polish genesect is not a check. it dies to it before it can even set up. just say scarf can u-turn can beat electric variants.
  • mimikyu has no place in priority. isn't even a threat to it. metagross, azumarill, and scizor all lose as well. the priority section removed entirely imo.
this post honestly seems a bit salty so sorry if i came out like that. but i think you did a great job otherwise and i would like you to implement these even if i am not qc because i am pretty sure qc would agree with these changes in sets for the reasons listed. :)

Last edited:
considering this is in the quality control stage, i will give my opinion on this analysis. four things to start off:
1) switch bullet points to asterisks. obviously noticed you haven't edited for a while but just friendly reminder
Sure thing.
2) you don't need ivs since teambuilder already sets them to 0 by default
Yeah I checked this out on PS, it does so after entering EVs.
3) please put spaces between your slashes
4) just name the sets "Z-Conversion (Electric)" and "Z-Conversion (Ghost)" please.
Will adjust the names to make them a little bit more "neat".

[OVERVIEW]
  • remove double dance and nasty plot mentions
I'll place them in OO section.

• [*]remove "lack of priority." there has been no precedent from previous gens of special attackers supposed to get priority
    [*]this doesn't need hazard removal to funcytion
    [*]just say its a liability against defensive teams instead of saying it needs special walls softened
Lack of priority often means other strong attackers can chip away at its health despite the speed boost and Porgyon-Z will often take a hit during Z-Conversion and hence is why it is essential to start with 100% health before the set up, which is why I said "Hazard support allows it to make most of its sweeping capabilities".

[Z-Conversion (Electric)]

move 3: Hidden Power [Ground] / Recover
  • this is what it should look. hp fighting is only for ghost porygon-z. ground hits way more than hp fighting so hp fighting doesn't even warrant a slash. shadow ball is just ass. don't bother mentioning at all for this set.
  • remove rapid spin / defog support. it really doesn't need it.
  • expand more on team options aka stuff that can break bulkier teams in general like kyurem-b and megazardy
I will add Kyurem-B and Zard Y along with others in the team options, they are all good choices for teammates.

But let's talk about attacks. Hidden Power Fight in the electric set is the only attack that can realistically get a 2HKO against support Tyranitar and specially defensive Ferrothorn. Shadowball is a safer option to hit incoming switches with and more often then not just brings the poor pokemon after the switch within KO with either Tbolt or Ice beam.
[Z-Conversion (Ghost)]

move 2: Hidden Power [Fighting]
move 3: Recover
  • reason to use this set over electric is it can't be revenge killed by scarfers like gene, lando-t, and phero. mention that. because ghost fighting hits more, it can actually run recover with less cost unlike electric version
  • this is where you need hp fighting to beat tyranitar, weavile, bisharp (50/50), etc.
  • this set really only needs two attacks. mention that.
  • you don't really need hazard removal like i said
  • expand on team options as said before except magnezone more emphasis since this set can't break celesteela and loses to toxapex as it can haze your boosts
Porgyon-Z outspeeds Phero after conversion boost but I'll add Lando-t and Gene in advantages of using this set and also Magnezone in team options. As for 2 attacks and recover it already works with the electric set which is why it is mentioned in OO, but I need to run some calcs first before making anything final.

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • double dance goes here as said.
  • say how psychic type would be an ok choice but the problem is gene and phero are in the tier
[C&C]
  • rock polish genesect is not a check. it dies to it before it can even set up. just say scarf can u-turn can beat electric variants.
  • mimikyu has no place in priority. isn't even a threat to it. metagross, azumarill, and scizor all lose as well. the priority section removed entirely imo.
Generally agree as most of these priorities hit for 20-30% after conversion boost and 44 in defense EVs although Mimikyu (disguise) can actually hit for 50% with +2 Shadow Sneak or 70% with LO Shadow Claw, could be enough to OHKO depending on whether or not Porgyon-Z took a hit before the boost, I'll mention him separately.

this post honestly seems a bit salty so sorry if i came out like that. but i think you did a great job otherwise and i would like you to implement these even if i am not qc because i am pretty sure qc would agree with these changes in sets for the reasons listed. :)
Was a tad aggressive at the beginning but your advice is appreciated thanks :)

Last edited:
generally, hp fighting only hits two relevant mons while hp ground brings much more to the table. i never said hp fighting wasn't an option but it doesn't exactly warrant a slash. same with shadow ball.

i can agree with you otherwise

e: also i was referring to scarf pheromosa. sorry for making that unclear hahaha

Would it be beneficial, as a setup sweeper, to lower P-Z's SpDef IV to 21 and give it a simple 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe? It does lose 10 points in both defensive stats (it still gives Genesect a SpAtk boost from Download), but it gains 5 points in both SpAtk and Speed, which seems much more important for a sweeper than lowering its offensive stats.
The extra few points do not effect most of the calcs and we really want to take as much benefits as possible from the all stat boost and Porgyon-Z will more than often take damage during Z-Conversion depending on who it performs it against

========

Alright there has been a lot of discussion going on about what to slash in and how effective each option is, but before that I have renamed both sets to Zeus and Hades, both explain their sets perfectly and Porgyon-Z is the hardest hitting Electric/Ghost type in OU tier bar none, with that being said:

Zeus calcs:

+1 232 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 152-180 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 114-135 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 1.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So both are 3HKOs after leftovers, and it is more likely paralysis will hit ferrothorn with T-bolt spam.

+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 400-472 (147.6 - 174.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

HP Fight doesn't offer much support here.

+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 170-200 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 232 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 224-268 (55.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

HP Fight hits more harder than T-Bolt.

Hades calcs:

+1 232 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 232 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 152-180 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Spam those balls boy.

+1 232 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 224-268 (55.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fair enough. Also Greninja, Bisharp, Weavile. T-bolt is guranteed 2HKO against Celesteela and murders Mantine thus avoiding status/leech.

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
generally, hp fighting only hits two relevant mons while hp ground brings much more to the table. i never said hp fighting wasn't an option but it doesn't exactly warrant a slash. same with shadow ball.

i can agree with you otherwise

e: also i was referring to scarf pheromosa. sorry for making that unclear hahaha
And who would those HP Ground targets be outside of Marowak, Heatran, Magnezone, and other random electric-types? From what I'm seeing in regards to the Electric set, you're only really missing out on Marowak while 252/0 Heatran is KO'd after Rocks or prior damage (which it'll likely take given its in-out nature) and Magnezone really can't do jack back besides whittle it down facing a 2HKO. HP Fighting meanwhile gives Pory-Z a chance to KO TTar with prior damage before TTar can do heavy damage to it, and gives it a guaranteed 2HKO against Kyurem-B w/o hazards (a likely scenario if you're setting up against Defog users).

+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 165-195 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 68-81 (21.8 - 26%) -- 3.2% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 102-121 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO

Conclusion: Doesn't really need HP Ground as Fighting will do the trick, or +1 T-bolt if you're running Recover + you can recover the damage off anyway after setting up on Zone.

+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 384-452 (99.4 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 286-338 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Conclusion: Electric Pory-Z almost KOes standard Stallbreaker Tran, and since this Heatran will continuously switch in to tank damage, it's likely in the KO spot once you set up with Conversion. If we're talking about the super rare 252/252+ Calm Heatran, HP Ground DOES stand a better chance to KO after prio, but otherwise is 2HKOed by T-Bolt too.

+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 272-320 (79.7 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 204-240 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 170-202 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar: 228-272 (56.5 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Calcs take current Choice Band and Choice Scarf TTar EVs into account. Also as usage stats indicate, Chople Berry isn't seeing too much usage.

Conclusion: You can also 2HKO TTar with Thunderbolt, but in this case Tyranitar takes such a large chunk of PoryZ's health out that Hidden Power Fighting might be worth it to avoid the incoming priority. Sacking SpD tar in two guaranteed hits is also good as Rapid Spin Excadrill and Defog users are things and ideally you could bait it in and trade so Excadrill's turns are numbered. You also trap it anyways w/ Dugtrio but w/e. If you run Recover, it's still managable via 2HKO with Thunderbolt so a point might go to you there.

vs Xurkitree
252 SpA Xurkitree Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 92-109 (29.5 - 35%) -- 14.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ground vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 138-164 (44.3 - 52.7%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO

vs Tapu Koko
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 288-339 (102.1 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (in Electric Terrain)

vs Kyurem-B
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-Black: 220-260 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-Black: 164-194 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

vs Mamoswine
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 340-402 (94.1 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

tl;dr:
  • Electrics can't do jack while Electric Pory-Z 2HKOes them or OHKOes Tapu Koko w/ T-bolt. Having Recover also eases setup against them.
  • HP Fighting gives a better fighting chance against Kyurem-B without needing to keep hazards up
  • HP Fighting is your best option against Ferrothorn so you don't have to dick around with Leech Seed stalling for too long. Also you can pick it off at 51.7%- as opposed to 38.6%-.
  • HP fighting is an actual option vs Mamoswine
  • HP fighting KOes common TTar variants, which can otherwise whittle you down to revenge killer range, after SR. Otherwise fairly managable with a 2HKO from Tbolt as well as Recover.
  • You only really miss out on an OHKO against Heatran and Alolan Marowak, the former of which is zapped by +1 T-Bolt even with 252 HP and the latter of which is trapped by Dug and easily worn down.
So while what you say is fairly true, claiming that HP Ground hits more seems fairly inaccurate as far as I've researched. Seeing as Marowak IS one of the only true stops on offensive/balance, Hp Ground still deserves a slash, but I'd argue HP Fighting does as well as it offers benefits of its own.

As far as the analysis itself goes, mention in OO that while Dark Conversion gives extremely similar coverage to Ghost, it's not used since it's vulnerable to Extremespeed and Mach Punch, and leaves Pory-Z vulnerable to Fighting-types and sanic U-turns from Scarfrachi and Scarf Genesect.

Also personal pref, but to me Tapu Fini being in team options seems odd since Electric Pory-Z doesn't particularly mind status outside of Toxic or T-wave before setup. You could mention that thanks to Taunt and Nature's Madness, Fini can break down defensive stuff while Z can set up on Waters, Grasses, and Electrics that like harassing it.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just call the sets Z-Conversion (Electric) and Z-Conversion (Ghost).

I love themed set names, but only if they fit, and I don't think either of those names fit for Porygon-Z. It's a man-made, technologically inclined glitchy mess of aPokemon. "Zeus" and "Hades" aren't really names suit it. Even from a design perspective, Zeus is the sky and thunder God while Hades is the lord of the underworld. Both command respect and authority. Porygon-Z is well... just look at it! It's a goofy, glitchy, odd looking creature.

Z-Conversion (Electric)/(Ghost) is right up its alley

Last edited:
But..butt Zues shoots tbolts and Hades lives with ghosts! Lol you guys are hard to please. Alright fine whatever gets my hacked rubber duck online and on to the open is ok with me, otherwise im gonna write hp fire z conversion set next.

Edit: just noticed accidentals point on tapu fini, will do.

Last edited:
tl;dr:
  • Electrics can't do jack while Electric Pory-Z 2HKOes them or OHKOes Tapu Koko w/ T-bolt. Having Recover also eases setup against them.
  • HP Fighting gives a better fighting chance against Kyurem-B without needing to keep hazards up
  • HP Fighting is your best option against Ferrothorn so you don't have to dick around with Leech Seed stalling for too long. Also you can pick it off at 51.7%- as opposed to 38.6%-.
  • HP fighting is an actual option vs Mamoswine
  • HP fighting KOes common TTar variants, which can otherwise whittle you down to revenge killer range, after SR. Otherwise fairly managable with a 2HKO from Tbolt as well as Recover.
  • You only really miss out on an OHKO against Heatran and Alolan Marowak, the latter of which is zapped by +1 T-Bolt even with 252 HP and the former of which is trapped by Dug and easily worn down.
So while what you say is fairly true, claiming that HP Ground hits more seems fairly inaccurate as far as I've researched. Seeing as Marowak IS one of the only true stops on offensive/balance, Hp Ground still deserves a slash, but I'd argue HP Fighting does as well as it offers benefits of its own.
first of all, alolan marowak has lightningrod, so no, it is not zapped by a +1 thunderbolt.

hp fighting does not give you a better chance against kyurem-b. it does 67% max and thunderbolt will likely 2hko after one round of life orb anyways. and this is assuming life orb because z-freeze shock and band sets will blow you back regardless.

second point you mentioned is ferrothorn, but that is still defeating you even if you have hp fighting. the mamoswine argument i can understand, but that is not as relevant compared to things like heatran and alolan marowak. you mention that heatran is easily worn down, but this is false. if anything, heatran is one of the hardest pokemon to wear down because of leftovers and a toxic will basically end your sweep considering the archetype it is found on. you can't just say dugtrio traps heatran and not apply that to tyranitar. with this logic, recover should be the third slot.

hidden power [ground] is superior because it secures the ohko on heatran and can let you touch marowak versus hidden power [fighting] which can only help you in clutch situations. this is why i believe hidden power [fighting] does not deserve a slash and just a mention for the set. and i am not theorymonin' since i have used hidden power [fighting] and i can sincerely tell you that there is no mistake behind not giving it a slash my g

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Some comments I have. Remove download and nasty plot from the overview as they are not in any main set. You need more usage tips. Tell the readers to bait their opponent into bringing in Pokemon Porygon can safely set up in front of lategame, and play around the fact that they'll be very reluctant to bring such Pokemon in. Expand on your team options, tell us why what these Pokemon do is synergistic with P-Z,

Alright I've added a couple of more sentences especially in usage tips, removed some stuff already mentioned in OO and expanded on other points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)