post #500: Liepard's Debut [the DGF story of chantilly vgc regional]

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone. muff here :D! After trading with half the people going to VGC events, I finally got a chance to actually use them myself (shock). The hardest part of the whole experience was building a team. After debating about what to use for a while, I decided that I just couldn't bring myself to using standard teams. If I was going, I was going to use cool mons only. Before I begin this, let me give you my team. I just wrote a lot about each of them but I was logged out of smogon bs prediction hax.

~Clarity~

Jolly, Limber
31 / 31 / 31 / something / 31 / 31
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Focus Sash
Fake Out / Snatch / Sucker Punch / Charm

Oh god, I love Liepard so much.
MVP for these reasons:
- stab sucker punch
- charm useful against every physical attacker ever
- snatching any tailwinds I saw (none unfortunately, such a shame)
- being a pretty Pokemon :D

Mtn. Man

Adamant, Guts
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Flame Orb
Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Rock Slide / Protect

Poor Conkeldurr.... Never got to use it even though it was a backup a few times. Proved solid on this team through wifi battling.

Xanadu

Adamant, Levitate
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Flying Gem
Acrobatics / Wild Charge / Dragon Claw / Protect

Why it is so amazing
- capable of ohkoing scrafty, conkeldurr, jellicent, tornadus, whimsicott, amoonguss, and a billion other things.
- levitates
UNFORTUNATELY, a similar thing happened with Eelektross (see Conkeldurr). Only got to actually use it once :/ still a top tier pokemon. D-Claw was for Hydreigon.

Hammerhead

Brave, Sap Sipper
31 / 31 / 31 / something / 31 / 0
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Normal Gem
Head Charge / Wild Charge / Aerial Ace / Protect

BOUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
I didn't even put this on a team ever. Never saw a single Amoonguss. I actually wanted to battle an Amoonguss. I'm insane. Anyways, I chose Bouf for these reasons:
- something to use in case of tr
- normal gem head charge ohkoes so many pokemon
- aerial ace ohkoes virizion.... hahahah
I really wish I could've used it.

On Parade

Jolly, Justified
8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Chople Berry
Close Combat / Rock Slide / Quick Attack / Protect

Oh hi Terrakion. This guy helped a lot against enemy terrakion, which were literally everywhere. The 248 Speed EVs were to OHKO other chople berry terrakion after they CC mine (defense drops). This actually saved me once :D! Quick Attack finished off sashers and low health Pokemon.

Monsoon

Timid, Prankster
31 / something even / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Life Orb
Thunderbolt / Hidden Power / Grass Knot / Protect

"Oh shit, my team is all physical."
- OHKOes Terrakion, does a lot to Krookodile (huge weakness)
- OHKOes Archeops (yeah I was a little worried hehe)
- HP Ice for dragons, the odd Landorus, maintaining coverage on Amoonguss and Whimsicott

John Mayer - Clarity
Crash Kings - Mountain Man
RUSH - Xanadu
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade
The Offspring - Hammerhead
Jack Johnson - Monsoon

Here begins the tale of leader of the moofians in chantilly!

When I got to the expo center (after driving around it about 4000 times without seeing the sign), I walked inside this huuuuuge building. I was carrying my bag, which had my ipod, phone, ds, lucky sunderp family
, and my ticket thingy. I got there in time to see Cybertron defeat Hitmonrocker in the Senior finals. After that, I met a duckton of ducks and other people in the waiting line. SHOUTOUT TIME
Chihuahuaowner - She had 5 DSes. Holy fuck. Always been there to help me with testing out everything from, well, Liepard to Bouffalant...
cosmiceplorer - dannyyyyy my ladybug brother. TR sucks and so does amoonguss. haha i wonder what would happen if i didnt have those TMs.
Jibaku - JIBBLES :D :D man for a smod, you are pretty shy. A lot of fun to hang out with, grats on getting top 4! (my jelly was a good luck charm haha :D)
icepick - r1 matchup: "do you two want to play each other?" "HELL NO" hahah great artwork @.@ grats on going so far :D
Sixonesix / evan / andrea / chad / tts / dtrain / dubs / Tyler - QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
meeting the ducks was awesome, I really can't wait til next year (please be near me again).
BlueCookies -

moof: "Excuse me, are you Mr. Sankey?"
bc: "Why yes, yes I am!"
moof: "So you like the Yankees, right?"
bc: "Yeah, I also like Nickelback."
oh god hahahahah this made my day
all the csmugs (dukethedevil, imperfectspider, elmo) - dtd lost right next to me :c good work ips! didnt really see elmo after registration line
<3csmugs jajajajajajajajajaj
human - doesn't know how to stream

Round 1 versus James
89-61513-58721
The only "noob" I faced :/
He had Audino and Doredia and Archeops (none RNGed). I really don't even know what I used other than Liepard n____n I think I 4-0d him. Marriland came over and we all said hi, and it was pretty awesome.

Round 2 versus Xavier
REALLY LOUD GUY WITH LONG HAIR yelled a lot. He had a legit team, knew what he was doing, but misclicked a fake out turn 2 lol ._. nothing was sashed on his side, so Terrakion swept (4-0?). The 248 EVs helped out here. Or maybe r4. dgf

Round 3 versus Anthony (Team Rose on forums iirc)
46-42997-02154
Ugh, this was the closest battle of the entire thing. I led with Thundurus and Terrakion, he led with Durant Mienshao. I double protected, expecting fake out + iron head. I watched the text go by, and then...
Durant used Hone Claws!

fffffffffuuuuuuuu

Next turn, I Thunderbolted the Durant. Its Focus Sash activated and it was paralyzed (not FP). Rock Slide from the +1 Hustle Durant KOed Thundurus and did a little bit to Terrakion. CC ohkoed his Mienshao. My memory is fading already, but I finished off the durant with Quick Attack I think (hopefully he has this vid). The HUGE moment in this battle was in the middle, when it was terrakion vs. terrakion, his full hp, mine at around 90% (after rock slide). I knew that I already had the Defense drop and was 1 point slower. Luckily, his terrakion had Sacred Sword, and mine survived. After that turn, terrakion cleaned up :D ! This was a ridiculously close game.

Round 4 versus Zach
46-42997-02014

I faced a skarmblisser r4 (bound to happen eventually). On team preview I saw thundurus, terrakion, and tornadus. I thought to myself, "YESSSSSSSSSS Liepard's time to shine!" I led with Liepard and Terrakion, hoping to make use of a snatched Tailwind. He double protects turn 1. turn 2 i sucker punch thundurus and protect with terrakion, and his terrakion Rock Slides my liepard. Turn 3 I sucker punch Thundurus for the 2hko (!) His Terrakion CCs mine, and I hit back after the defense drops. His sash activates, and he brings out Tornadus. Here, I think he will go for a tailwind, so i Snatch with Liepard and Quick Attack Terrakion to KO it. Unfortunately, hi\e Acrobatics Terrakion for the KO. Ice Cream comes out for him, and I send out Thundurus. I sucker punch Tornadus while protecting with Thundurus against the Ice Beam. Tornadus KOes Liepard with Acrobatics, and out comes my Eelektross. Next turn, His Tornadus subs and scarf Ice Cream OHKOes my Thundurus :( My Eelektross' Acrobatics doesnt quite KO his ice cream, and an Ice Beam crit seals the deal. blah, gg. Conkeldurr might have been a bit more useful than Eelektross, but if I had only sucker punched Tornadus ;_; I'm still quite proud of Liepard.

I had a fantastic time meeting all the smogon people. Cant wait until it happens again :D:D:D:D

oh also

IT'S A REVOLVING DOOR OF POKEMON!

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT MY BROTHER

shroom best poke and TR best strat. I'd have been pretty sunk if you didnt have those tms lol

You are my hero for winning at all with Liepard. GREAT JOB

I still hate you for being literally an inch taller than me D:

LIEPARD FTW? YOU BET!

Nice run, sucks so many Smogoners got out before finalists lounge in Masters. Oh well, hopefully Newark won't be the same :D Nice warstory btw ;)

MUFFFFFFFFINHEAD. You're a baller. 'Nuff Said. You should still try to come through to Indy if possible, because you're on my list of people I want to meet!

Dimsun asked BlueCookies if he was Sankey or something like that and he said the same things that you asked him. "I love the yankees." "I also love nickleback"

And yeah I know I don't know how to stream, not like you had to deagle with it.
Liepard so strong though, on par with TTS' zebra if not a bit better!

I did save our battle, 46-42997-02154. You finished off durant when I overpredicted and subbed up with tornadus and your terakion RSed. But yea I learned the hard way I should have CC instead of SS. It was great meeting you, and great meeting Duke and cosmicexplorer too. Oh and running into sixonesix again was great too.

Also something funny I realized, if Xavier ended up beating you in round 2, I would have faced him in round 3 for the 2nd year in a row. Small world.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Liepard 9.9

If I could pass the invite to you I probably would.

Also I'm glad I didnt have to fight you because Eelektross is a pain -.-

But it was nice meeting you :D

I really want details on how you used Liepard. I've been testing around and Liepard did make it to my team (minus Charm) at one point. I couldn't really make it work as well as I'd like though.

I honestly thought that Liepard was just too darn frail, but major props for pulling it off. Very pro indeed.

Can't wait to read the rest.

Cassie

giant claw
Haha well I had to bring them to the beach, so I might as well of taken them with me. Seriously you have to go to nats. The moofians will start a "Bring muffinhead to Indy" fund. YOU HAVE TO GO. Anyway good luck, you got 2 rounds farther than me :D You do liepard justice. ^_^

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
BlueCookies -

moof: "Excuse me, are you Mr. Sankey?"
bc: "Why yes, yes I am!"
moof: "So you like the Yankees, right?"
bc: "Yeah, I also like Nickelback."
haha that was funny

also props for NNing one of your pokemon after a rush song!

liepard is so beast :D great read and nice job on round four let's hope you make it to nats so liepard can do more work :D

Hey Muffinhead, it's Zach, the guy who ended your VGC D:...

That was a great battle. I got elim'ed the next rd though :c but hey, I'm cool with Indy. Hope you get another chance to go to Indy. You're great...played me right. I suggest you find a way to prioritize Eel...other than that you're pretty solid. If you go at it again you should make it to the T16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)