Garbodor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Rock Blast

I thought of this cool Garb set when i was getting really annoyed of sash lead viv and jynx. The ev spread is to live a jynx psyshock 100% of the time and kill with rock blast (as long as you get 3 hits).

252 Atk Garbodor Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 300-354 (110.7 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Jynx Psyshock vs. 24 HP / 96 Def Garbodor: 254-300 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Sunny Day

Thought of this set bc GULLY told me about rain dance sharpedo to help a swift swim sweeper. This is just the same thing but with sun to help a chlorophyll sweeper.

Mawile @ Custap Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Thought of this set bc ebeast used the same concept but with Mr.Mime and nasty pass.

Last edited:
ok hi. i may be a loser in record, but i am a winner in spirit. also there was fun stuff i liked and used.

didn't really reinvent the wheel here or anything, but i liked a couple things i ended up using quite a bit.

Regice @ Occa Berry / Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 136 HP / 168 Atk / 96 SpA / 108 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Explosion
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave

i feel like regice is reasonably underrated, given how well it can trade hits and explode very well. i used occa in tandem w/sunny day vileplume v.cased as a means to both pressure steels and lure fires, and while chople takes a little more in terms of sr prevention to really gain consistency in baiting chan. ev's are optimal, do not ask specifics cuz that was a while ago

Nidoqueen @ Lum Berry / Passho Berry
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 80 HP / 28 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes / Ice Beam
- Earth Power

ended up using i think my least favourite variation on this set v.rozes and got pretty limited value out of it as a result, but dedicated lead queen is a pretty neat set. laying up pertinent hazards effectively, can play around sleep leads nicely by eating via lum -> taunting and playing from there, etc.

only other particularly interesting thing i ran was fat custap skuntank, which seems pretty cool in theory but it just got crit and died in practice so idk.

actually just cm + leaf storm serp. it's cool tho, +1 leaf storm is great at busting through the naturally bulky, type neutrals like kanga that the opp might look to preserve for taking a hit and stifling in turn. it can also take out a garbo w/less priors, which is cool for fight partners.

Steelix @ Occa Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 224 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge / Roar

i was using it as a means to set up sd aboma, but in manectric meta (this was just prior to that drop) it can also be dope for stuffing that. basically i noticed a trend of teams reliant on a reasonably fast fire to stifle certain omnipresent threats to their balances / bulky offenses, and this felt like a highly conducive method of exploiting that. i run this a little farther on the spdef end in order to cement the consistency of the lure.

Barbaracle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 8 HP / 244 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Switcheroo
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

fits onto teams similarly to tops w/the obvious distinguishing features of switcheroo and ss > spin, as well as the obvious speed difference. surprise value does tend to play a pretty big role in this set, but the disruptive potential of trick scarf can be fucking dope if you play your knock users properly to account for it. given the general lack of utility you're getting out of the final slot here, ss makes a pretty cool option here, especially w/something like a xatu in back (lets u pull for nutty plays like tricking scarf onto a weezing or w.e, smash on the sludge / double, play from there). bulk investment had something to do w/tauros.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 108 Def / 24 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Magnet Rise
- Gear Grind
- Return

while i'm sure this set isn't anything new at its core, idt many people were doing much in terms of ev experimentation, so i shot for it. running it as fat as this can allow klinklang to pp stall a burned lix's heavy slams pretty handily. how u achieve this is kinda up to you (trick flame orb mesprit is cool, i snuck in flame body mag but don't tell evan xd), but its a pretty potent doodad.

Omastar @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Ancient Power

the theme of my oras teams were "ok, this time my dude has to try to xatu me". but yeah, i continue to think the best oma sets are hazard + smash, defensive or otherwise. basically this cuts out any muss or fuss your defensive oma has w/hazard removal, depending on what coverage u want to shoot for, speeding itself up, eating a hit, and ko'ing your kabu / shiftry / xatu. it can also make a nice shot at counterplaying normals that wanna just get aggressive into your expectedly passive oma set. speed puts you over tauros at +2, idt it is worth pumping yourself further (tho i probably coulda used a water resist on the team i had this on if i was gonna have it slower than floatzel, whoops).

Here we go this is for ORAS:

Scar Tissue (Combusken) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Rock Slide

The idea here was lure Charizard what is a pain to deal sometimes it also hits dencetly Mantine.

Jiraiya (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor

Basicaly nothing orignaly but still a surprise factor scarf Shiftry can lure things like Charizard who think they can just wow you or roost also fast mons X-Scissor is bc Malamar.

Surfing Karmas (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Toxic

HP Eletric Poliwrath is cool for lure Mantine and Pelliper it can be paired with something who apreciates these two gone. Toxic is for Lanturn/Audino

Fullmetal (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 228 HP / 132 Atk / 128 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang

Another lure for Mantine and Pelliper.

Because our manager Omfuga is a complete madman he thought it'd be a great idea to let me in charge of building for our ORAS slots. Anyway I haven't innovated all that much as I was pretty satisfied if I even finished building three teams before the weekend lol. Anyway, I still got a few fun sets to give a try.

Pyroar @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Fire Blast

This Pyroar set is part of an offensive core with Shell Smash Gorebyss used on the team most of you refer to as 'oh shit isn't that Shake's team?'. While Gorebyss is pretty damn strong after a Shell Smash there are some specially defensive monsters like AV Hariyama, Lanturn and M-Audino that still take it on. This Pyroar set aims to chip NU's specially defensive options into Gorebyss' range, and more importantly, keep them in range. Hyper Voice in combination with Silk Scarf's boost is very spam-able and quite powerful. With Stealth Rock already set up AV Hariyama cannot take a Hyper Voice from Pyroar and a +2 Psychic from Gorebyss for example. Endeavor is perfect for stuff like Lanturn as Pyroar can take a Scald from Lanturn quite easily if it's the Leftovers variant (61.9 - 73.4%) to then just Endeavor the following turn to set up Gorebyss to win, while AV Lanturn is worn down quite quickly by repeated use of Hyper Voice and taking Stealth Rock damage. Taunt is ideal to stop stuff like M-Audino from healing up with Wish, but also to prevent Mantine from using Defog, for example. This isn't the best Pyroar set out there in terms of 'splashability', but an excellent tool to facilitate a Gorebyss sweep.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Aqua Jet

Aqua Jet is a handy (and admittedly situational) tech on standard Life Orb Floatzel to help check stuff like Dancing Dino Rhydon in a pinch, force the mind game vs. Sucker Punch users like Shiftry and Skuntank and check faster threats that are expected to just check Floatzel even when they're low on health like Swellow, Combusken after a few Speed Boost boosts and Vivillon that got to set up a Quiver Dance, or two, thanks to their Focus Sash.

Torterra @ Choice Band
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Facade / Crunch

Holy monster. This set isn't as much unique as it is underused (as is Torterra in general imo). Between Wood Hammer, Earthquake and Stone Edge almost nothing is safe to switch in. I paired this set with a Choice Scarf Scyther as Torterra appreciates the free entry that Scyther provides by forcing switches and to then U-turn into Torterra to beat down common Scyther switch-ins like Steelix, Garbodor, Rhydon, Omastar, Regirock and more. With Facade it's much easier to stay in vs. Rotom to Wood Hammer it even if it uses Will-O-Wisp, whilst also putting Weezing (which is probably the best Torterra counter in NU) in awkward position. Crunch's only real use is punishing (the rare) Gourgeist-XL.

Also tagging Teddeh to share his superbly effective Volbeat and Illumise sets to further improve this already great community!

Volbeat @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Roost
- Encore
Took me years to think of this set, it's by far the best set that has ever graced this tier. i think it has its own niche over illumise as it has a yellow and black body rather than a purple and black body. Honestly by far the best pokemon this tier has ever seen.

Secondly we have the next best MVP
Illumise @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Roost
- Encore
As with volbeat, it took me years later to think of this set which was used to excellent effect in the final week of NUPL. As previously mentioned, it rocks the purple look very well.

Lastly;
Prinplup @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
As you can see, it like a regular prinplup except with leftovers. This is key for this set being effective as it gives reliable recovery!

That's all for my broken-set drop after NUPL. Good luck next year and congrats to Krabs for winning it. (Early prediction)

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Rotom @ Ring Target
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

The idea is to lure in things like Camerupt or Skuntank (and other things I can't remember rn) and remove their Electric or Psychic immunity, greatly helping their teammates to sweep. I used it in a team with Electrode and Barrier Mushy so it was basically guaranteed to work.

Haunter @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

This thing hits HARD. Like, EXTREMELY hard. Like, 2hkoing Skuntank with SR hard. This thing steamrolls through defensive builds that often rely on Hariyama, Mantine or Sliggo to sponge random special hits (Hari can only switch once, and Sliggo risks being tricked).

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Magnet Rise
- Toxic
- Gear Grind

Set I used vs Christo since I feared he'd bring Sheddy stall. This set trades the neutral coverage of Return for the chance to use Toxic to poison would-be counters like Quagsire (or Shedinja lol) while providing a way to set-up on Rhydon and weakened Steelix.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Healer
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Rozes showed me it and I'm pretty sure it was/already is/still is Audino's best set atm. Iirc he even used it vs Tricking in their bo3 series. This hits surprisingly hard due to a quite good coverage + Calm Mind. Fire Blast lures in Steel-types, while Surf helps you dealing with things like Acrozard.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I only got to play once but I made a buttload of teams and some of them had some cool sets that worked well in test-battles, so ye.. (all are ORAS sets)

Rowan (Samurott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Used this on a team with Scarf Barbaracle, since HP Fire is really uncommon (for good reason, it's not that useful in many situations), but I looked at some visuals and saw that some people mainly relied on Ferroseed as their only Water-resist. HP Fire helped Barbaracle clean late-game with Razor Shell. I used Spikes-support with this as it helps weaken AV Lanturn.

Rowan (Jynx) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
Sub + Nasty Plot Jynx is already scare as is, but Salac Berry helps it tear through teams late-game. Mostly, people will try to check Jynx by breaking its Sub, sacrificing something and then bringing in something faster like a Scyther or an Archeops. Salac Berry screws that entire plan over and has worked greatly in (some) test battles. Appearently I'm not the first to use this but I came up with it myself, promise :(

Rowan (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Ice Beam
Bulky Ludicolo is pretty neat, it works kind-of the same as defensive Poliwrath, except with an added ground-resistance. It's an easy switch in to most rockers, and can spam scald pretty easily. Water - Grass is a pretty cool defensive typing that allows it to switch in to Lanturn too, with ease.

Rowan (Solrock) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
It's actually a better Normal-check than you'd assume o.o offers reliable recovery, punishes switchins with Will-O-Wisp, and can set up rocks for pretty much free vs Kangaskhan and Pyroar. It also beats Xatu which is cool.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Circle Throw
- Protect
- Refresh
This set is superannoying to face.. Most people try to land a Toxic on Poliwrath and think: alright, that's no longer a problem, but this messes some teams up. it's still really specially bulky, even without any investment. You can run more SDef if you want to but I like switching into DD Rhydon easier.

I didn't play but here's some cool stuff the squad discussed.

@Occa Berry, me and Evan theorized this when manectric dropped to lure it, does well vs fire types not named pyroar in general.
with a specs, p sure everyone on the team left this nupl with a passion for specs mesp, but a team needed a fire switchin while keeping a wallbreaker and it worked out. Eball 2HKOs lanturn and ohko's rhydon etc.
without a choice item, we talked about this thing before w1 even started since boltbeam beat a lot of fat cores. Lure lanturn and win!

Teammates will probably post the rest :o

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Shell Armor
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Protect

UNDEFEATED in nupl. protect was because i stole this set from a meme doubles team but it avoids damage from fake out + racks up crucial tspikes damage on stuff like really really weakened lanturn :D love you hootie

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return

Used this set like w3 I think vs qsns, it chewed hits really easily and saved me the game (pre-choke) some cool calcs:
252+ SpA Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 150-178 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 64-76 (13.5 - 16%) -- possible 7HKO
+1 252 SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 112-133 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- 91.9% chance to 4HKO

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch

This set didn't really do much cuz it got poisoned + missed will o but it's a pretty cool set nonetheless. It's very similar to maggy except dual status isn't expected and it has vswitch for momentum, better for scyther too ig. Speed was to outspeed max speed base 80 and rest in defense

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Lilligant @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Couldn't have won my game vs tennis if it hadn't been this set specifically. I think some people occasionally ran this a long time ago but eventually it just kinda fell into obscurity. Anyway Sub allows free setup on stuff like Gourgeist that try and whittle you with status, and also dodges Sucker Punch.

Gourgeist-Small @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Destiny Bond

Didn't use this in the tour but I passed the team that used it to Shadestep who posted it here if you're interested. Pretty cool niche spinblocker for offensive teams that checks Waters and lures stuff with Rock Slide and Destiny Bond. EVs are to outspeed base 95s and I think to 2HKO Magmortar with Rock Slide.

Other than that I didn't innovate too much but a couple old things of mine still saw some light, ik Evan built a ton of teams with SubEndeavor Swellow and Punchshroom's never-failing faith in Vanilluxe continues to inspire me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)