Post your favorite anime

I honestly don't know how people weren't expecting a campy B-move esque show with tits and violence with Highschool of the Dead. I've liked it so far for what it is (purposely bad, and ends up hilarious at the same time). Bad job to Madhouse for making it only 12 eps, though.

aka i watch HSotD for tits and guns
My issue is not with how terrible it is, but how people will not shut up about it, including casually dropping statements like "oh man it is like zombieland / dawn of the dead in anime form". The latter gets me a lot more riled up, since (George Romeros, not the remake) Dawn of the Dead is a really well filmed, kickass film with actual personalities and actually interesting zombies. "B film" =/= automatically terrible anyway - Dawn of the Dead is probably a "B flick", but is top notch filming aside from some bad '70s trends. High School of the Dead, on the other hand, is all terrible fanservice and ridiculous nonsense.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
My issue is not with how terrible it is, but how people will not shut up about it, including casually dropping statements like "oh man it is like zombieland / dawn of the dead in anime form". The latter gets me a lot more riled up, since (George Romeros, not the remake) Dawn of the Dead is a really well filmed, kickass film with actual personalities and actually interesting zombies. "B film" =/= automatically terrible anyway - Dawn of the Dead is probably a "B flick", but is top notch filming aside from some bad '70s trends. High School of the Dead, on the other hand, is all terrible fanservice and ridiculous nonsense.
what's the matter, not enough tits and explosions for ya?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, those are the sort of lines people remember Mark Gatha for. But most of his acting in that show is really inconsistent. Again, he's much better in Zoids.

As far as you know? Are you even speaking from experience here? I really liked Domon's voice when I saw it in English, though most of the voice acting in the show is really bad and awkward. I was converted over to the Japanese version by a friend, because it is absolutely amazingly fucking spectacular. I watch most anime in English, so think before you go accusing people of Japanophilia.

EDIT: I think because the show is just so quotable, it's alot easier for English speakers to associate the words with English. I'll admit, when I randomly yell out quotes in public I do them in English too, but the Japanese voice acting is still much better. Again, G Gundam's American voice acting is really subpar compared to Zoids: Chaotic Century even though they have almost the same cast. It's a voice direction thing, I think.
I haven't seen any Zoids series recently enough to compare but this opinion is coming from someone who has fond memories watching the original dub air of G Gundam and in general would watch dubs over jap (I don't understand moonspeak). The voice acting honestly is not that good. It could've been worse but it could've been better. When compared to the original Jap VA, it just doesn't compare. Maybe it's because of how well the original VAs but the English VAs just weren't able to match their quality.

Compare Shining Finger Sword (ENG)
Shining Finger Sword (JAP)
(Pay no attention to the subs LOL)

Domon vs. Master Asia Final Match (ENG)
Domon vs. Master Asia Final Match (JAP)

Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (ENG)
Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (JAP)

The series finale is probably shows the greatest disparity.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Man, I was looking for an English version of the introduction of Master Asia for comparison, but it cuts out before Domon starts crying. When people really wonder why I put it up there with some of the greatest works of art in history, it is scenes like this. Yes, Domon and Master Asia have some elaborate greeting method you'd expect from a Super Robot show. But you see Domon's hands quivering, just before he drops to his knees and starts crying with joy to see his master again. Domon had been the biggest badass imaginable for 11 episodes, and he's not just teary eyed, he's balling because he missed someone so much. And not a girl either, but a man. In many of its themes and relationships, G Gundam is reminiscent of old historical novels. You find the same sort of behavior in The Romance of Three Kingdoms, my favorite book. Only the Romance is one of the world's oldest novels, and G Gundam is a Gundam spinoff, so one isn't taken as seriously as the other.

The voice acting in the English dub of G Gundam is absolutely fucking terrible. Some of the most awkward, clumsy shit I have ever heard. It is definitely dubbed in the "everything we say ends up sounding halting or like a question" school of terrible. The series only has comedic value anyway, so it is not like it hurts the show too much.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't seen any Zoids series recently enough to compare but this opinion is coming from someone who has fond memories watching the original dub air of G Gundam and in general would watch dubs over jap (I don't understand moonspeak). The voice acting honestly is not that good. It could've been worse but it could've been better. When compared to the original Jap VA, it just doesn't compare. Maybe it's because of how well the original VAs but the English VAs just weren't able to match their quality.

Compare Shining Finger Sword (ENG)
Shining Finger Sword (JAP)
(Pay no attention to the subs LOL)

Domon vs. Master Asia Final Match (ENG)
Domon vs. Master Asia Final Match (JAP)

Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (ENG)
Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (JAP)

The series finale is probably shows the greatest disparity.
lol, am I the only guy here with ears? The Japanese version of Love Love Tenkyoken doesn't match up to the raw emotion of the English version. In fact, none of those scenes do (there was a small lapse in the first link when he said "GO GO GO" in the flattest way imaginable, but other than that, it flat out beats the crazy screaming Japanese guy).

When he yells something in English, it feels real and I can understand it. In Japanese, he just sounds like a screaming maniac. I have no idea why you guys have such a purist attitude about anime, but English VAs can produce some pretty quality work too.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
When he yells something in English, it feels real and I can understand it. In Japanese, he just sounds like a screaming maniac. I have no idea why you guys have such a purist attitude about anime, but English VAs can produce some pretty quality work too.
Did we not both, BOTH just say that we generally watch anime in English? I for one can't stand the majority of seiyu that sound like screaming girls whether they are female characters or not. But G Gundam is the real fucking deal. I wish the Master Asia seen in English didn't cut out, Mark Gatha crying sounds so forced and fake. Keep in mind, this is a cast that doesn't exactly get work anymore, even with Zoids. They are just okay, and the voice director for G Gundam was a fucking idiot. I lost a disc in my G Gundam collection, so when I got that part in the show while watching it with my grandmother we had to watch it in English and I was just fucking embarrassed.

I prefer Shining Finger Sword in English tbh. Probably because I enjoy the large ham voice acting in shows like that.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tried reading Neon Genesis Evangelion before wasting my time watching the manga. Got up to chapter 84, and then realized how big of a waste of time the entire series was.

Loved death note I can still go back and re-watch it and enjoy it. Hetalia is what I'am into now learn about world history while being entertained!! Also FMA brotherhood is also fantastic.

Other animes that are awesome: Elfen lied, Black lagoon, Hellsing ultimate OVA, D.grayman, Darker than black

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One Piece, i mean c'mon, it's not even a good anime at all, a guy who wanted to become a pirate, alright, so far so good, a couple episodes later, a villain appears. the main guy who i forgot his name (I think it was Suji or something.. i honestly forgot.) appears and saves the situation with his spongy arms, a couple episodes of shit happening (aka filler) and a NEW villain appears, read this paragraph 91910291 and you have an anime called One Piece.
You made it pretty obvious here that you only saw a few episodes. I think there have been maybe a half-dozen "boss" villains in the series out of the 465 episodes it has been going on for.

And Inuyasha... ohhh boy. Then again, I shouldn't judge as I've only seen a few episodes.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Loved death note I can still go back and re-watch it and enjoy it. Hetalia is what I'am into now learn about world history while being entertained!! Also FMA brotherhood is also fantastic.

Other animes that are awesome: Elfen lied, Black lagoon, Hellsing ultimate OVA, D.grayman, Darker than black
How the shit did you enjoy Elfen Lied. It had the retarded theme of the segregation, discrimination, and all that put in in a shitty way, characters were horrible, and the entire storyline just idiotic. Sorry, I did not enjoy that anime. I put it on par with NGE.

And Inuyasha = lol. Read the first two volumes of the manga, doesn't seem worth wasting my time watching.

Eraddd

One Pixel
NGE is good, though, in a manner of speaking.
I found it a sub par version of the matrix (which I didn't enjoy), with shittier characters, a more retarded plot and retarded ending(s).

Although I guess it'd be considered revolutionary at the time it was released (Approximately 1996?)

Eradd, Evangelion is the original anime, which came first, and nothing more; the manga is an inferior off shoot (although not a terrible read, I still rate it something like a 7/10). The new anime movies are also inferior off shoots. I think I respect the dumb fanboy plot offshoot manga than these new anime.

There is no need to be that rude about someone enjoying a fucking show, sheesh. He liked Elfenlied because he has not watched much anime probably, yet you are acting like he just went on a Jew killing hunt.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Eradd, Evangelion is the original anime, which came first, and nothing more; the manga is an inferior off shoot (although not a terrible read, I still rate it something like a 7/10). The new anime movies are also inferior off shoots. I think I respect the dumb fanboy plot offshoot manga than these new anime.

Okay...? I never said it wasn't the original anime. I just didn't like it. I watched a few episodes, and never got into the whole plotline.

There is no need to be that rude about someone enjoying a fucking show, sheesh. He liked Elfenlied because he has not watched much anime probably, yet you are acting like he just went on a Jew killing hunt.

I find it slightly ironic this statement is coming from you. But if you insist.
Bolded.

Okay...? I said what I said the way I did because you talked about the manga as if it mattered and justified you disliking it, when anyone who understands manga and anime knows it does not have any relevance.

You find it ironic that I know well where the line is between being conversationally rude and being assrammingly pointlessly pretentiously up your ass rude? Saying "Elfen Lied is awful" is one thing, but saying "how the shit did you enjoy Elfen Lied" is purposely provocatively falsely elitist and pointlessly overbearingly insulting. A person without much media viewing experience / maybe even just without anime viewing experience is not going to interpret the show, which I already; that is one "how the shit" a person will enjoy it. (Of course there are many reasonable ways; some people like any romance, no matter how good or bad; some people think it has genuinely good animation; some people just love any blood and tits series. None of those imply good taste, but whatever, it does not imply being moronic as you want to declare.)

Tory

Banned deucer.
3. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - When I first heard about this series, I thought it was a stupid concept (riding bikes while dueling o_O). However it turned out to be the best Yu-Gi-Oh! series thus far. The story is far darker than any of the previous series, and despite it being based on a game, they somehow manage to set the focus on the actual story. Also I'm a casual fan of the game, so it's what made me want to check this thing out. =P
I got to agree with that. I love Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, the storyline is more deeper, darker and realistic than its processors.

High School of the Dead is currently my favorite anime.

It is about a worldwide zombie apocalypse centering around the events between a group of surviving high school students. I enjoy the anime because the characters are all very colorful and the fighting scenes are fun to watch. The only thing I could say that annoys me is the constant spam of the girl's chests and underpants...

Death Note is another anime I enjoyed thoroughly, and will re-watch it from time to time. Light Yagami made such a big impact on my life that I will have to name a child after him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)