1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Power Creep: DPPt OU v. BW UU! (Round 5, Quarter Finals~)

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by Chou Toshio, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Been a great ride everyone, we're finally down to the last 8 contenders! Best of luck to all (and please do send me the logs...) my apologies in not noticing that you'd all completed your battles well before the deadline. Let's keep it up!

Introduction
    Show Hide

Everyone has been impressed with the power creep of BW. The increase in power of Pokemon in BW has been so impressive, that UU has come into its own as a tier respected for high-powered battles. When people say "the lower tiers," in BW, they often mean only RU and NU--wait, when did UU become a higher tier? Probably about the same time people started comparing it to DPP OU. It's become a pretty common notion that there are startling similarities between BW UU and DPP OU-- not to mention the Pokemon, with top DPP OU threats like Azelf, Zapdos, Kingdra, Flygon, Swampert, Bronzong, Machamp, etc. etc. etc. finding themselves amongst UU's ranks. Well here's the tournament to finally settle the score. This team will feature head-to-head match-ups between these metagames, and give us an insight into which metagame really is (was?) stronger.

On one hand, DPP's packing some bad-ass beasts that still wreck OU today, like Tyranitar, Scizor, Heatran and Gyarados... on the other side, UU's got all sorts of new (and old) tricks up its sleave, with Pokemon like Darmanitan, Regenerator Slowbro, Mew, and Scald Suicune in the wings. Which side will rise to the top? Let's get this tournament going!

The newest BW OU list is out, and we will use it. (Unfortunately, nothing dropped, while Deo-D got banned to BL T^T )

Show Hide

Rules:

... General Tournament Rules
    • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here
    • Fifth Generation
    • DW UBERS (in order to allow DPP Only Items and Blaze Blaziken)
    • Single Elimination
    • Species Clause
    • OHKO Clause
    • Evasion Clause
    • Sleep Clause
    • Self-KO Clause
    • Timed Battle
    • Matches must be conducted on Pokemon Online
    • KEEP LOGS PLEASE!!~
    • Team Preview will be turned off, NO WIFI CLAUSE bringing battle conditions more in line with DPP OU-- a creative challenge for UU players.
    NO TEAM PREVIEW IN THIS TOURNAMENT

Format:

Tournament matches will be a best of 3, with a format as follows:

Round 1: Player A: DPP OU v. Player B: BW UU
    Round 2: Player A: BW UU v. Player B: DPP OU
    Round 3: Both players free to use a DPP OU team OR a BW UU Team

So, both players will have a chance to use both metagames, and the first two matches will also be DPP OU v. BW UU. In the 3rd round, you will pick one.

important: Even in round 3, you cannot mix BW UU Pokemon and DPP OU Pokemon onto the same team!!

Rules for DPP OU Teams

• Standard DPP OU Teams (-rotom formes)
    • All BW-Only Pokemon, Moves, Items, and Abilities are banned (No Dream World Abilities, no Scald, no Eviolite, no BW Pokemon, etc. etc.)
    • All Pokemon listed on the DPP Uber List are banned (including Mew and Deoxys-D).
    • All items available in DPP OU are allowed! (Feel free to use pinch berries, etc. Bring your Petaya Empoleon)
    • All Rotom-A formes are banned, an unfortunate decision, seeing as how these play a key part of DPP OU, but considering how they can't get their Ghost-type in these matches, I decided they were in poor spirit of this tournament. Besides, you need to shark to get them on wifi anyway...
    Essentially, your team should be as if you JUST transferred it over, except you can bring your items and can't bring your rotom-formes.

Rules for BW UU Teams

• Standard BW UU Teams
    • All BW Uber, OU, and BL Pokemon are banned.
    • BW UU Teams are limited to BW available items (NO PETAYA EMPOLEON)

PLEASE SAVE THE LOGS
    (And send them to me)
    This tournament is an interesting chance to see which of the two tiers is stronger. As the tournament host, I'd like to request that all logs be sent to me. Of course, there will be NO consequences for not saving the logs, but I want to collect as many of them as possible. OF COURSE none of the logs will be disclosed until the tournament is finished-- so be sure that I will not release any team information. I just want to have the logs as a good record of the tournament.

When a match is over, please PM me an aesoft replay private link, or attach the log file and e-mail it to me at meiwaku.dake@gmail.com

^This seems to not have been highlighted enough, as several users have already asked me about which player uses what tier. :| Make sure you have at least 2 teams (a DPP OU team and a BW UU team) before going into your match... you will need both...

1. Snunch vs FlareBlitz
    2. DarkLoïc vs Pedrock
    3. [K-12] The Madchine vs Cristal
    4. pokebasket vs yee

Deadline: June 25th

2. Harlot

Harlot

winner of snunch vs. flareblitz wins it all
  3. Kennen

Kennen dont you worry child

Snunch vs FlareBlitz
    DarkLoïc vs Pedrock
    [K-12] The Madchine vs Cristal
    pokebasket vs yee

Go pokebasket!!
  4. Chieliee

Chieliee

Snunch vs FlareBlitz
    DarkLoïc vs Pedrock
    pokebasket vs yee
  5. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Snunch vs FlareBlitz
    DarkLoïc vs Pedrock
    pokebasket vs yee
  6. SoulWind

SoulWind
    is a Tiering Contributoris a SPL Winner

Snunch vs FlareBlitz
    DarkLoïc vs Pedrock
    pokebasket vs yee
  7. pokebasket

pokebasket

jaja thanks Kennen and SW ;)

VM'd yee
  8. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

K-12 1-1 Cristal.
    The second battle when I was going to win 5-0, he CH me... (and after I played very bad...)
    He doesn´t want to play now the last battle. He want to play... the next week! o.O
    The next week I won´t have much time. Already I have warned him. I don´t want to lose by default. If he doesn´t want to play, it isn´t my problem. :/
  9. Cristal

Cristal

You won't lose by default, told you by VM that I only wanted to play the first two battles for tonight. If you're scared of counterteaming just build something else.
  10. Alf'

Alf'
    is a Past SPL Winner

VMed Pedrock
  11. Hantsuki

Hantsuki

Pedrock asked me to say he's having some issues with his computer, but it'll be fixed until the weekend n_n
  12. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

Waiting for Cristal.
    Activity post.
  13. Nova

Nova
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

14. FlareBlitz

FlareBlitz This was never a story that would have a happy end
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Lost to Snunch 2-1. ggs.
  15. Snunch

Snunch
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 8th Official Smogon Tournament

won vs flare ggs, dpp won every time
  16. yee

yee
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

won against pokebasket in some GGs
  17. pokebasket

pokebasket

Lost 2-0, GGs
  18. Delko

Delko was a tab-made man
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    RMT Leader

Darkloïc !
  19. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

Waiting for Cristal.
    Activity post again.

EDIT: The same... Activity.
  20. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

Activity... waiting for Cristal.
    PS: I couldn´t in the weekend, probably.
  21. Cristal

Cristal

"Activity"

Maybe that instead of "waiting for me" you could "send me a VM" when you see me online.
  22. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

I would send a private message when I saw you connected, but I NEVER see you.
    Activity post.
  23. Pedrock

Pedrock

I'll only recover my teams Monday night, and I don't know if DarkLoic will be on this time, so I would appreciate a lot an extension...
  24. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

alright, you guys got 1 week (extension) to get it done
  25. Cristal

Cristal

Lost to K12 ggs
    gl for the rest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)