Power Creep: DPPt OU v. BW UU! (Semi Finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for getting your matches finished~! Let's make this a great Semi-Finals!

Note: This tournament's goal is to compare "5th Gen UU" to DPP OU. Everything in BW2 UU is fair game for UU teams-- Ditto, Amoongus, etc. Go for it (this also means no hippopatas sand for UU teams anymore, so good luck with that...)

Introduction
Everyone has been impressed with the power creep of BW. The increase in power of Pokemon in BW has been so impressive, that UU has come into its own as a tier respected for high-powered battles. When people say "the lower tiers," in BW, they often mean only RU and NU--wait, when did UU become a higher tier? Probably about the same time people started comparing it to DPP OU. It's become a pretty common notion that there are startling similarities between BW UU and DPP OU-- not to mention the Pokemon, with top DPP OU threats like Azelf, Zapdos, Kingdra, Flygon, Swampert, Bronzong, Machamp, etc. etc. etc. finding themselves amongst UU's ranks. Well here's the tournament to finally settle the score. This team will feature head-to-head match-ups between these metagames, and give us an insight into which metagame really is (was?) stronger.

On one hand, DPP's packing some bad-ass beasts that still wreck OU today, like Tyranitar, Scizor, Heatran and Gyarados... on the other side, UU's got all sorts of new (and old) tricks up its sleave, with Pokemon like Darmanitan, Regenerator Slowbro, Mew, and Scald Suicune in the wings. Which side will rise to the top? Let's get this tournament going!

The newest BW OU list is out, and we will use it. (Unfortunately, nothing dropped, while Deo-D got banned to BL T^T )

Rules:

... General Tournament Rules
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here
  • Fifth Generation
  • DW UBERS (in order to allow DPP Only Items and Blaze Blaziken)
  • Single Elimination
  • Species Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Self-KO Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • Matches must be conducted on Pokemon Online
  • KEEP LOGS PLEASE!!~
  • Team Preview will be turned off, NO WIFI CLAUSE bringing battle conditions more in line with DPP OU-- a creative challenge for UU players.
NO TEAM PREVIEW IN THIS TOURNAMENT

Format:

Tournament matches will be a best of 3, with a format as follows:

Round 1: Player A: DPP OU v. Player B: BW UU
Round 2: Player A: BW UU v. Player B: DPP OU
Round 3: Both players free to use a DPP OU team OR a BW UU Team

So, both players will have a chance to use both metagames, and the first two matches will also be DPP OU v. BW UU. In the 3rd round, you will pick one.

important: Even in round 3, you cannot mix BW UU Pokemon and DPP OU Pokemon onto the same team!!

Rules for DPP OU Teams

• Standard DPP OU Teams (-rotom formes)
  • All BW-Only Pokemon, Moves, Items, and Abilities are banned (No Dream World Abilities, no Scald, no Eviolite, no BW Pokemon, etc. etc.)
  • All Pokemon listed on the DPP Uber List are banned (including Mew and Deoxys-D).
  • All items available in DPP OU are allowed! (Feel free to use pinch berries, etc. Bring your Petaya Empoleon)
  • All Rotom-A formes are banned, an unfortunate decision, seeing as how these play a key part of DPP OU, but considering how they can't get their Ghost-type in these matches, I decided they were in poor spirit of this tournament. Besides, you need to shark to get them on wifi anyway...
Essentially, your team should be as if you JUST transferred it over, except you can bring your items and can't bring your rotom-formes.

Rules for BW UU Teams

• Standard BW UU Teams
  • All BW Uber, OU, and BL Pokemon are banned.
  • BW UU Teams are limited to BW available items (NO PETAYA EMPOLEON)

PLEASE SAVE THE LOGS
(And send them to me)
This tournament is an interesting chance to see which of the two tiers is stronger. As the tournament host, I'd like to request that all logs be sent to me. Of course, there will be NO consequences for not saving the logs, but I want to collect as many of them as possible. OF COURSE none of the logs will be disclosed until the tournament is finished-- so be sure that I will not release any team information. I just want to have the logs as a good record of the tournament.

When a match is over, please PM me an aesoft replay private link, or attach the log file and e-mail it to me at meiwaku.dake@gmail.com

Tournament matches between 2 players will be a best of 3 rounds, with a format as follows:

Round 1: Player A: DPP OU v. Player B: BW UU
Round 2: Player A: BW UU v. Player B: DPP OU
Round 3: Both players free to use a DPP OU team OR a BW UU Team

So, both players will have a chance to use both metagames, and the first two matches will also be DPP OU v. BW UU. In the 3rd round, you will pick one.
^This seems to not have been highlighted enough, as several users have already asked me about which player uses what tier. :| Make sure you have at least 2 teams (a DPP OU team and a BW UU team) before going into your match... you will need both...

1. Snunch vs DarkLoïc
  2. [K-12] The Madchine vs yee

(if you guys don't save logs of the semi-finals and finals matches, I will kill you)

Deadline: July 16th

Chou Toshio, do you think it's really a good idea to allow all the new stuff about BW2 while it's totally new and unbalanced ? In semi-finals !
It's your choice yeah, but I disagree with your decision.

Chou Toshio, do you think it's really a good idea to allow all the new stuff about BW2 while it's totally new and unbalanced ? In semi-finals !
It's your choice yeah, but I disagree with your decision.
The same. I disagree this... ._o
I think that it is a great mistake ... I signed to BW (and DPP) tournament... I didn´t sign to a tournament of BW2 (with a new and inexpert tier) :/
You asks other players ... if they don´t agree... could you change the rules please...? ^^U

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No-- the objective of this tournament is for the current UU to be pit against DPP's OU. You'll notice that every round of this tournament has abided by the newest changes of UU's tiering (Deoxys-D ban, hail ban, etc.).

If the UU side was to be set, it would have been set for the whole tournament-- and that would have lost sight of the objective of the tournament. Re-iterating: the very reason this tournament was organized was to compare the strength of the UU tier now to the DPP OU tier then. It is entirely necessary (and absolutely not up for discussion) that UU teams be designed from the most current options.

The fact is that BW2 are a part of UU.

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
The problem is that BW2 brings a lot of changes, not like a simply ban. And one of those big changes are going to be for sure OU, so you are facing dpp ou vs bw uu + bw ou.

And these 4 guys signed up in a bw1 tournament, not a bw2 tournament.

Really gay, It doesn't save them when I played Pedrock but fortunately for you Chou toshio, I have the logs against Snunch. I'll send you tomorrow, I don't have the time now. But I have them, don't worry.

I'm going to be out of PO until the 19th :/ Will play if given extension / don't mind if you don't wanna give one.

When you could/want, Yee. ;)
If Yee couldn´t these days, I want a extension if is possible, because... I want play this match... Is THE SEMIFINALS!

Activity post.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
^Please get it done guys. :| I'll wait a bit more

btw the Snunch / Darkloic matches were great. Look forward to them when the tournament is over, and thanks DL for getting me the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)