1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Power-utility OU team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Zadorosny, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Zadorosny

Zadorosny

Note that all my movesets are smogon ones, and the reason behind them is pretty much what is stated on the site. However, I do try to say at least a little about them.

(Edited)Intro:
    After the suggestions you can read on the thread, I made some changes to my team, and came up with the one you see here now. Replaced Toxicroak and Chansey with Celebi and Landorus, changed a move on Rotom and the item on Heatran. The team now is faster, with greater coverage and more power, with one helping each other (at least from the most part as I see). I tested every single suggestion on this thread and did so from yesterday up to this edit, which I made only when I felt that myself alone was not enough anymore to improve, and I hope you guys share your thoughts about all that is below.
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    My starter for most ocasions as will-o-wisp is generally a good and safe first move for the match. Volt switch to scout or deal damage, hydro pump to heavily damage the starters weak against it while they set up. Pain split to regain health and damage some bulky guys. Edit: As suggested, I replaced volt switch with thunderbolt, which has gone magnificently. The power increase has really helped and moreover, I was worried about the lack of scouting, but I didn't miss it at all. This guy has also been showing itself as a very good wall, and outspeeding more than I could imagine.

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Life Orb Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 220 HP / 252 SAtk / 36 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Earth Power
    Replaced Toxicroak with him, which also helped me a lot. With the given EVs it is even more of a wall than it already is. I tried Ciel's set but in the battles, most of the time they switched out, giving me a free turn to Nasty Plot with this set. Then, almost anything that poped out was sure to receive significant damage in the least, while letting Celebi resist if the attacker is faster in many cases. The 3 attack moves are for covering whatever comes, and I sincerely don't feel more speed is necessary, but I accept criticism, as I am just a newbie out there.

[​IMG]
    Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit
    Another powerhouse. Bullet punch is great with the priority and even super effective against some stuff. U-turn for scouting, superpower for instant KOs and pursuit to kill those fleeing guys. No edit on this guy, just think I may need to learn how to use him better. Superpower on him, for example, is like the rarest thing I'm ever using on a battle.

[​IMG]
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

The speed problems I've stated on this thread really seemed to vanish with this guy and celebi, as I don't remember what outspeeds it ( and I've been testing since yesterday ). What I see is Landorus needs more skill to play, but with some good advice and practicing I know I can get over this issue. Earthquake just hazards any non-immune pokemon ( in case of resist switch ins ), stone edge and hidden power ice are coverage moves to use along with prediction, while U-turn, obviously, for scouting or killing the ones I can while changing my own pokemon in battle too.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock
    Prefered to let him with more utility than full attack sets. The first 3 moves as brute power against anything weak to them, and those dragon switches, while stealth rock for when they switch but I don't think it's worth using one of the other 3 moves. Sometimes I use him as a starter to put the rocks in the air too. Air balloon to prevent him from dying from earthquake as soon as he pops in the battle. Edit: Again, as suggested, replaced balloon for leftovers, and only in 1 battle ( mirror ) the lack of the former got me. Overall, I didn't miss it, but did not notice any changes with leftovers too, since he is generally instant KO'ed. Also changed nature from Modest to Timid, making him capable of killing other heatrans, in the least ( sorry, don't remember whereelse it was useful, but I know it has been =P ). Suggestions here are REALLY appreciated. If I see any weakness on this one, it would be speed, but I doubt there is anything else to be done about it.

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Sacred Sword
    This guy.... when I read his description, and I did more than once, I noticed how powerful he is and, for a power-utility team, his stats were needed. Just put him on and damages whatever comes in, sometimes even surprising with a crit from stone edge. His speed also lets me counter pokes that have moves that could kill him, by attacking first with the "best for the moment" move from the list above. Edit: This guy is still a heck of a sweeper! Nothing changed on here, but I noticed it looks like it has more synergy with the changes I've made, but I also guess I'm still not using him to his full potential. Nevertheless, he is still a great adition to my team, outspeeding, walling and surprsing unaware opponents when I can reasonably predict well. A correct X-Scissor can win me a battle.

Overall thoughts: After testing this team like I did, I started to ask myself if there really is anything I can do to improve it or if it comes now to myself using it. I still lose battles and I know there is no perfect team, but any constructive criticism is VERY VERY VERY appreciated. The "perhaps" failures/threats I noticed are psychic ( alakazam ) and gengar, which I've faced very few times, and other celebis, but I think this last one is purely lack of skill from me. Also, I once went against a gallade that gave me trouble. Overall, things like Gliscor, Jellicent and Ferrothorn went from nightmare to "yawn", honestly. Even I did not expect such a thing.
    What I feel is most needed now is to improve myself as a player. The Battling 101 #63 did not begin yet and I don't know if I will manage to get a spot on it, but I still want help from good veterans.

Anyhow, constructive comment/rating about anything on this thread is still REALLY appreciated.
    Thx in advance
  2. Venduria

Venduria

You seem to be very weak to fighting ad ground pokemon. Your only switch-in to fighting is toxicroak, and its defenses are frail at best. For ground, you've got rotom-w (heatran is fairly unreliable, as a good prediction pops your balloon, and now you're a sitting duck). Quite frankly, I feel like your team is too slow/frail to be super offensive. I think the pokemon to change is terrakion, he justdoesn't seem to synergize well with the others. Consider Defensive Gliscor to be a good replacement; chansey walls special attackers really well, but is really worried about strong physical moves, mainly fighting types. Gliscor covers this physical wall role very well, and helps alleviate your ground and fighting weakness significantly.
  3. Zadorosny

Zadorosny

Thx, will see what happens.
    Any other ratins are very welcome
  4. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

I like this team. If you want to fix your Ground and Fighting weaknesses, I suggest you try Celebi with a special defensive set in place of Chansey. It preforms its role as a defensive pivot very well. Celebi synergizes with Rotom-W and Heatran perfectly to form a F/W/G core and forms the infamous CeleTran combo. Good overall team and I hope this advice helped. Good luck with your team!

~Dr. Ciel
  5. Zadorosny

Zadorosny

So, Im feeling, through practice, that my team is too slow. Almost anything seems to hit them first, any suggestions ?
  6. frogoholic101

frogoholic101

Anyhow, you will want to drop Toxicroak. If you're not running Rain it is a poor pokemon; in sand it loses health and in sun it loses even more health. I'd replace it with a Celebi; pretty much any set will help you, but your team likes an NP set the best. Put it over Toxicroak and that should help.
  7. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]
    Mentor

The fighting and ground weakness that others have pointed out mean that Celebi would be a great choice. Celebi synergises incredibly well with Heatran, and you have a FWG core along with Rotom-W. I'd definitely put him over Toxicroak. Without rain, Toxicroak is sorely outclassed-you'd be much better using SubSD Terrakion or Lucario as a late game sweeper, and with Sub and Bulk up, he's going to suffer against SubDisable Gengar.

With Celebi, you're team really isn't that frail, as long as you go for a more defensive set on Celebi. Now you can drop Chansey, who won't really be doing much for the team when Heatran, Celebi and Rotom-W can tank all the special moves that are sent their way. The speed issue could be solved with a simple Scarfer which compliments Scizor's Bullet Punch nicely(i.e. a revenge killer that scores super effective damage on Steel's and Fire type's) I suggest using Scarf Landorus. Scarf Landorus outspeeds +1/+1 Dnite, as well as Scarf MoxieMence sitting at that trolly 101 speed stat. He can revenge the like of Nasty Plot Lucario thanks to a resistance to Vacuum Wave, and supports Terrakion in breaking down walls. After Terrakion Stone Edge's a Gliscor for example, then Landorus could probably finish him off.

Just a small nitpick-on Heatran, go Timid. With a Timid nature, Heatran has a better chance of countering Breloom and Gliscor as some will try to outspeed Breloom. There are probably a lot more threats that Heatran can outspeed with Timid as well. Also, on Rotom-W I'd go Thunderbolt over Volt Switch. This is a more bulky Rotom-W, and the extra power could come in handy against Politoed and Gyarados.
  8. Zadorosny

Zadorosny

Ok guys, thank you very much for the feedback. I will try and test the changes...
    When I post about it, should I make a new thread ( since there will be at least 1 pokemon change ) or just update here ?
  9. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Just update your first post.
  10. Reflect Suicune

Reflect Suicune

I absolutely second Dr Ciel's suggestion on Celebi over Chansey. It's a great suggestion. Celebi has excellent synergy as he already explained. It also adds a little more offense, AND, it threatens each and every Pokemon that can wall your Terrakion... Slowbro, bulky ground types, etc...

Your team has no spikes or stealth rock, so it is not too ideal to use a support or defensive set. I'd go with Recover, a strong grass attack, and whatever else you need (maybe u-turn, to avoid pursuit trapping)... or a set with calm mind/nasty plot.

I don't like Air Balloon on Heatran here. Heatran has a key defensive spot on your team... you'll be switching him in against things like Scizor's U-Turn quite a bit... Lati@s... opposing Celebi with HP fire... etc... Heatran checks a lot of things the rest of your team can't handle here... and that air balloon will pop faster than Britney Spea - uhh, never mind... but I really think it needs leftovers.
  11. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Agreeing with Reflect Suicine you could possibly use this Celebi set.

Celebi @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Natural Cure
    Nature: Modest - EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd

-Recover
    -Hidden Power [Fire]
    -U-turn
    -Leaf Storm

This set is really simple. It has everything you really need for a Celebi. A healing move in Recover, HP Fire for the Steel Pokes that could threaten your team, U-Turn to avoid getting Pursuit trapped by Scizor and a very strong Grass move.

~Dr Ciel
  12. Zadorosny

Zadorosny

edited the first post, with the significant changes I've made, just bumping it up
  13. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

I absolutely fell in love with this team once I did a bit of playtesting with it. I'll continue testing to find potent threats to the team. It seems good so far.

~Dr Ciel

EDIT: After some playtesting, I felt that the team needed a offensive, boosting
    sweeper, so I decided to use this Terrakion set. I found ake a look is just simply amazing, so take a look for yourself

Set:
    Show Hide
    Terrakion @ Rock Gem Lv. 100 -- Justified
    Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Swords Dance
    -Substitute
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)